Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:03 PM   #1
Chomps
Major Leagues

Player hits Triple - Credited with Double

Rendon hit a Triple into the right field corner, but was only credited with a double in the PBP and Game Log. As you can see in the screen shot he is standing on third base.

Am I missing something, or is this a bug?
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Chomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:47 PM   #2
eck.nicholas
Major Leagues

It’s a double, with him advancing via fielders choice.

Chop On: Atlanta Braves
eck.nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:11 AM   #3
zappa1
All Star Starter

It's a triple all the way. Problem is is that it's really suppose to be a double like the pbp says. The ani doesn't match the play. It's the wrong ani and should be fixed.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:13 AM   #4
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Looks to me like a dbl that the runner stretched to a triple, possibly because the RF has a weak arm. Can't tell for sure though.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 03-26-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:16 AM   #5
zappa1
All Star Starter

Read the pbp. Albies NEVER threw the ball home. He threw it to third to try to get Rendon. Shhhhsh. And even if Albies threw the ball home, since Rendon was already heading for 3rd, he would get the triple. I can't see what's so hard about understanding this.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:18 AM   #6
zappa1
All Star Starter

Here we go again with this topic.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:19 AM   #7
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

The game engine clearly produced a result of a double with the batter advancing to third on a throw elsewhere. It’s the animation that needs to be changed, not the result.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:55 AM   #8
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa1 View Post
Read the pbp. Albies NEVER threw the ball home. He threw it to third to try to get Rendon. Shhhhsh. And even if Albies threw the ball home, since Rendon was already heading for 3rd, he would get the triple. I can't see what's so hard about understanding this.
Ya, I got that and edited my post. Take a chill pill man, it's perspective. I see it as a dbl that the runner stretched into a triple, possibly because he was a fast runner with good base running skills and the RF has a weak arm.

Possibly I'm saying. We don't know because we don't see those other things.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:17 AM   #9
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Ya, I got that and edited my post. Take a chill pill man, it's perspective. I see it as a dbl that the runner stretched into a triple, possibly because he was a fast runner with good base running skills and the RF has a weak arm.

Possibly I'm saying. We don't know because we don't see those other things.
One thing we do know for sure, a triple is a triple. An official scorer doesn't get to rule otherwise based on the strength of an outfielders arm. Nor does he/she get to say, well that runner clearly took a gamble there and stretched a double into a triple, so I'm going to only award a double?
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:26 AM   #10
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Got it...ty
Old 03-26-2020, 08:36 AM   #11
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

There are times when a player advances on a throw from the outfielder from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd...they only get credit for a single or a double if it would have been a single or a double if not for the throw going to another bag concerning another runner. Was this the case?

Official score-keepers often make the call on this type of play...looks like the throw came in from the outfield & (possibly) they were going to try to throw out the runner at home, but on the relay, the shortstop tried to get the runner at 3rd...he doesn't get the triple because the throw didn't come in from the outfield with the trail runner in mind. The shortstop gave up on the play at home & tried to get the runner at 3rd. Still, he was safe.

One thing I know is on plays like this it is Fielder's choice and up to the scorer to properly credit the batter with either a double or a triple.

I wouldn't call it a bug because it is often an issue in real life as well.

Personally, on most plays, although they really are all quite unique, if the shortstop sends it to 3rd, and the runner is safe, I'd credit him with an RBI triple.

But if that throw goes home & the runner trots into 3rd base while it does, it's normally scored a double.

Last edited by One Great Matrix; 03-26-2020 at 08:50 AM.
One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:36 AM   #12
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Great Matrix View Post
There are times when a player advances on a throw from the outfielder from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd...they only get credit for a single or a double if it would have been a single or a double if not for the throw going to another bag concerning another runner. Was this the case?

Official score-keepers often make the call on this type of play...looks like the throw came in from the outfield & (possibly) they were going to try to throw out the runner at home, but on the relay, the shortstop tried to get the runner at 3rd...he doesn't get the triple because the throw didn't come in from the outfield with the trail runner in mind. The shortstop gave up on the play at home & tried to get the runner at 3rd. Still, he was safe.

One thing I know is on plays like this it is Fielder's choice and up to the scorer to properly credit the batter with either a double or a triple.

Personally, on most plays, although they really are all quite unique, if the shortstop sends it to 3rd, and the runner is safe, I'd credit him with an RBI triple.

But if that throw goes home & the runner trots into 3rd base while it does, it's normally scored a double.
Yeah, it's intended for the plays where it's a double but the runner advances the extra base on the throw.

I will readily admit the 3D doesn't capture this action properly. The cutoff tends to be too far out that it's not readily clear the player is going for the extra base only because of the throw, and the player doesn't do any sort of pause to wait for action, etc..
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:14 AM   #13
zappa1
All Star Starter

I am chilled out. It's just that we've been through this like what, 3 or 4 times already. I'm exasperated and I'm not gonna say anymore. Done.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:22 AM   #14
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am chilled out. It's just that we've been through this like what, 3 or 4 times already. I'm exasperated and I'm not gonna say anymore. Done.
And we'll go through it probably 100 more times, like many other issues in OOTP have been beaten to death over and over again over the years. It's how internet forums go, people like beating topics to death. Get used to it, it's not going away.

Your exasperation is self inflicted, no one forces you into these debates.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 03-26-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:37 AM   #15
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Great Matrix View Post

It is all about whether the official scorer feels the batter would not have tried for third unless the throw went home. If the scorer does not feel he would have went to third without a throw, then it is a double. It does not matter whether the throw gets cutoff or not, because when the runner goes to third, he thinks the throw is going home. In most cases it is pretty obvious whether the runner was heading for third regardless, but occasionally it is not as easy to tell.
jeffw3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:38 AM   #16
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Yeah, it's intended for the plays where it's a double but the runner advances the extra base on the throw.

I will readily admit the 3D doesn't capture this action properly. The cutoff tends to be too far out that it's not readily clear the player is going for the extra base only because of the throw, and the player doesn't do any sort of pause to wait for action, etc..
All I know is the game has continually passed my test for realism in most every case, and that's why I'm playing.

Try & sometimes draw a parallel to the frustration you feel playing actual baseball or watching an important game to what happens in OOTP before you declare it an issue or a bug.

Most of us love baseball. Computer programming is a different thing altogether so the results don't always match the effort & intent.

Last edited by One Great Matrix; 03-26-2020 at 10:40 AM. Reason: A note on computer programming
One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #17
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Have you posted this in the bug report forum? you should. I noticed it too but you documented it perfectly
Old 03-26-2020, 11:52 AM   #18
dannibalcorpse
Minors (Double A)

pBp says Albies cuts the throw off and makes the throw to 3rd to try and get Rendon - implying that the OF was throwing to the runner at home originally and Rendon made the move for 3rd based on that, which would be a 2B with runner advancing on the throw whether or not Albies cuts it off, no?
Old 03-26-2020, 11:59 AM   #19
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
The game engine clearly produced a result of a double with the batter advancing to third on a throw elsewhere. It’s the animation that needs to be changed, not the result.
Once again, I am assured by this. The animation will catch up someday but the play result is sound.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:06 PM   #20
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannibalcorpse View Post
pBp says Albies cuts the throw off and makes the throw to 3rd to try and get Rendon - implying that the OF was throwing to the runner at home originally and Rendon made the move for 3rd based on that, which would be a 2B with runner advancing on the throw whether or not Albies cuts it off, no?
that was my take as well
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote