Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-08-2020, 03:42 PM   #1
Jetpack
Bat Boy

Babe Ruth a 1/2 star pitcher in 1919?

I'm doing a Stem achievement game in OOTP20. Was stunned to see my scout recommend drafting Babe Ruth in the 2nd round in 1918 (I think) .

Drafted him, and saw that he turned down the Yankees (!) in 1915 and went to Coppin St.

He's now in minor league system as a 1/2 star pitcher in 1919.

So when will he turn into an outfielder? I'm guessing his going to college has messed things up, or my achievement game did, but he's a bad pitcher right now, with no other options. Any clues what happened or will happen?
Jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:02 PM   #2
Timeless
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I just ran a 20 year sim to test Dev Speed, etc. Started in 1915. I had all players start as free agents and went from there. Babe signed with Boston Braves. He pitched until about 1918 or so. Then he sat on their reserve roster, till I checked in after the 1926 season and found he hadn't played in a game in 8 years! Checked his hitting ratings -- they were exactly what they should be. So I manually added him to their active roster and changed his position to RF. Naturally he bats like .365 and hits 42 HR. What the hell?

It's stuff like this that makes me shake my head at all the fan-boying on this game. We literally had better historical sims TWENTY YEARS AGO. PTP, Micro League, HighHeat. Never saw crap like this. AND games like HH came with nicely drawn historic stadiums like Baker Bowl, etc. Here we are in 2020 and OOTP is the only game in town, and it's half a step behind what we had in 2001.
Timeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:13 PM   #3
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
I just ran a 20 year sim to test Dev Speed, etc. Started in 1915. I had all players start as free agents and went from there. Babe signed with Boston Braves. He pitched until about 1918 or so. Then he sat on their reserve roster, till I checked in after the 1926 season and found he hadn't played in a game in 8 years! Checked his hitting ratings -- they were exactly what they should be. So I manually added him to their active roster and changed his position to RF. Naturally he bats like .365 and hits 42 HR. What the hell?

It's stuff like this that makes me shake my head at all the fan-boying on this game. We literally had better historical sims TWENTY YEARS AGO. PTP, Micro League, HighHeat. Never saw crap like this. AND games like HH came with nicely drawn historic stadiums like Baker Bowl, etc. Here we are in 2020 and OOTP is the only game in town, and it's half a step behind what we had in 2001.
I'm guessing both of you are using the OOTP Development engine?
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:16 PM   #4
Jetpack
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I don't even know what that is. I"m just playing the custom game, version 20. The only difference in what I'm doing now, verses prior versions, is that it's a Steam achievement game. So no commissioner mode, etc.

i'd never seen issues with Ruth switching positions in the past versions.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:21 PM   #5
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetpack View Post
I don't even know what that is. I"m just playing the custom game, version 20. The only difference in what I'm doing now, verses prior versions, is that it's a Steam achievement game. So no commissioner mode, etc.

i'd never seen issues with Ruth switching positions in the past versions.
I have no idea what a Steam Achievement game is. Is that a challenge mode game? If that's the case, you're playing historical with no recalc. The game is using the OOTP Development engine. Using the development engine stuff like Ruth not converting to a hitter is going to happen. If recalc is on, Ruth is going to switch from pitcher to hitter just as he did in real life.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:24 PM   #6
Jetpack
Bat Boy

I have OOTP20 on Steam.

Steam has achievements. I'm thinking that probably is the same as a challenge mode. So that is interesting. Ruth will never flip. If so, then it IS the achievements causing the issue. Well shoot. That stinks.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:35 PM   #7
Timeless
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
I am, just because I want to not entirely clone history, but rather to have it evolve. And I expect some odd results -- I've seen famous players have ordinary careers due to TCR; I've seen oddball players have great careers due to a combination of messing with Dev speed and the effects of prior years' stats, etc. But I have to admit I was quite floored that he would have HOF batting ratings and both (a) stop pitching completely, and (b) never take up a field position. He literally just sat and rotted on the reserve roster.

Can't really think of why the AI Manager/GM would have done that. But I do appreciate the insight that the development engine is the source of this -- I would not have guessed that, so thank you for pointing that out.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:37 PM   #8
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have OOTP20 on Steam.

Steam has achievements. I'm thinking that probably is the same as a challenge mode. So that is interesting. Ruth will never flip. If so, then it IS the achievements causing the issue. Well shoot. That stinks.
I would keep him and start inserting him in your lineup as an outfielder. I'm guessing his hitting skills are lurking.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:40 PM   #9
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I'm a huge fan of playing with a both the development engine and recalc. The two work great together.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:50 PM   #10
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

The Bambino is a special case in non-recalc leagues, because the development engine has no idea what to do with him.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:55 PM   #11
Jetpack
Bat Boy

Quote:
I would keep him and start inserting him in your lineup as an outfielder. I'm guessing his hitting skills are lurking.

they are but no fielding ratings (other than pitcher)
Old 03-08-2020, 04:57 PM   #12
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
The Bambino is a special case in non-recalc leagues, because the development engine has no idea what to do with him.
I've never played challenge mode, because I don't manage or gm. Just watch leagues build history and follow the storylines. When I do so without using recalc, I always go in and manually change Ruth from pitcher to outfielder. Once he's switched to an outfielder the AI seems to know he's a stud.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:24 PM   #13
Timeless
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Yeah I also had to go in and give him some basic OF fielding ratings. He had nothing. Now, he was 32 by the 1927 season when I decided to check in on him, so he may have just gone so long without playing in the field his ratings disappeared.

I was running the sim to test some Oscar Charleston edits I'd done for an integrated league concept I'm working on. Whenever I do that I like to check in on a few select famous MLB players as a kind of reality check to see if any other things I did with the Dev engine might be messing up the adjustments I'd made. Can't recall this happening before but could be a quirk of when I happened to start the league (1915).
Old 03-08-2020, 05:56 PM   #14
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

Only thing Babe did in my universal was not hit his usual Home Run total.

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:08 PM   #15
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Okay, if by chance you decide to create a new game using challenge mode, I recommend changing "Base Fielding Ratings on" and "Base Pitchers Stamina on" from the default "3 year period" to "Entire Career."

I just created 1915 with the default 3 year settings and Ruth only has pitching ratings

I then created 1915 and used "entire career" and Ruth has Pitching ratings, but he also has defensive ratings for both LF and RF

You could try changing those setting in your current game, but I don't know if that's possible or if changing it effects a challenge league .

If I play non recalc, I always use "Entire Career"
Old 03-08-2020, 09:59 PM   #16
ALB123
All Star Reserve

How would I know if I'm playing re-calc vs ootp development engine?
ALB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:43 AM   #17
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALB123 View Post
How would I know if I'm playing re-calc vs ootp development engine?
You can look at the historical menu. If you are using recalc the box for recalculate player ratings after each year will checked. It will also show what type of recalc you're using, 1 year, 3 year or 5 year. 3 year is the default.

If you're playing challenge mode, you aren't using recalc.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:42 AM   #18
CarolinaSoxfan
Minors (Triple A)

If you are playing a historical dynasty then you have to get rid of your biases based on the player name. It is tough to do and it is why I enjoy using real teams with fictional players. I only like playing historical when I do strict season replays. Everyone has a preference but there are all kinds of settings you can adjust for the game to play the way you want to play it.

I love 1980s baseball, the style, the division setup (even though it made no geographical sense) So I created a 1985 season setup with the real teams and fictional players. No expansion, no change in strategy and stats. It is 1980s baseball for all time. It is incredible.
CarolinaSoxfan is offline   Reply With Quote