Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 11-15-2019, 05:28 PM   #1
Blackjack
Minors (Double A)

Changes to the IL

Apparently next season pitchers will return to a 15 day IL while hitters will remain at 10 days.
Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:35 PM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

That's completely illogical. the 10-day DL (I know not PC) was a vast improvement that shouldn't be reversed. If anything the DL should be 5 or 7 days for both.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:50 PM   #3
Blackjack
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
That's completely illogical. the 10-day DL (I know not PC) was a vast improvement that shouldn't be reversed. If anything the DL should be 5 or 7 days for both.
Apparently they think this will prevent teams from gaming the system somehow.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:01 PM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

How were they gaming the 10-day DL?

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 11-15-2019, 07:25 PM   #5
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...-pitchers.html
Old 11-15-2019, 08:15 PM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

If the moves were consistent with the rules, no gaming occurred. If the results were bad (open to interpretation) then it was a bad rule. Blame the right party.

RichW

Old 11-15-2019, 08:47 PM   #7
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

The phrase "gaming the system" almost always means using the rules in a way in which they were not intended. Politicians "game the system" by using the rules to their advantage. To claim no "gaming" occurred if no rules were broken is a disingenuous claim.

Quote:
Gaming the system (also gaming or bending the rules, or rigging, abusing, cheating, milking, playing, cheating the system, working the system, or breaking the system) can be defined as using the rules and procedures meant to protect a system to, instead, manipulate the system for a desired outcome.[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaming_the_system

If teams were using the ten day IL in order to effectively increase the size of their pitching staff, then they were, by definition, gaming the system.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:13 PM   #8
Blackjack
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
How were they gaming the 10-day DL?
I have no idea
Old 11-16-2019, 12:51 AM   #9
qcbandits
Banned

Infractions: 0/4 (4)
Teams are basically using the 10 day injured list as a way to stash a reliever who doesn't have options left when they need to rotate a fresh arm into the bullpen. This is actually a great rule change to bring back fairplay on how the IL is supposed to be used
qcbandits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:20 AM   #10
Andy
Hall Of Famer

Wonder how this will work for 2 way players?
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:11 AM   #11
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

My guess is they will allow someone like Ohtani to come off the IL after ten days but will restrict him from taking the mound for five additional days. Just a guess though.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #12
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
That's completely illogical. the 10-day DL (I know not PC)
It's not so much that it's "PC", just that it's "C". This is true of most things that are labeled "PC".

A player isn't "disabled" when they pull a hamstring, break an ankle or tear a UCL. They're injured. And people that have an actual disability can certainly play in the MLB.

As to the actual rule: A longer required IL stay incentivizes teams (and players) to ignore injuries. A shorter one allows for more gaming of the system (easier to have a guy skip one start than two).

I'd be in favor of more of a taxi squad approach and then you can do away with the IL completely.

Give a team 20ish active players per game - anyone from the 40 man roster - with a limit on the number of relievers.

Starting lineup 8 (or 9)
Bench 5 (or 4)
Starter/Follower 1
Relievers 6-8

Then, teams can switch out the starter/follower and any other players they don't want to use the next game.
Players can be moved on/off the active roster at will (no more options - this would also require changes to how service time is acquired (starting pitchers shouldn't lose service time on their rest days).
If a guy is injured, then you just leave him off the active roster until he's ok (there'd still be a 60-day IL that would function just like the current one).

Last edited by CBeisbol; 11-16-2019 at 02:54 PM.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote