Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support

Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support Do you have a copy of OOTP Baseball 2006? Are you in need of help and assistance in running the game or do you have errors that you need help in resolving? This is your place!

Old 01-20-2009, 01:52 AM   #1
jeremy7227
Minors (Single A)

Linux : Online League Download fails 96%

I am downloading a league file w/ Linux version 9.2.13. Our league is running 9.2.13. When I try to update the league files in game it fails. It downloads to 96% and then simply says "Error: Could not download file" and returns to the game. I may be the only one in the league running Linux.

I am wondering if the league update script in-game is looking for a particular directory or file not relevant to Linux?

I checked the common problem FAQ and I also have the Windows version on my laptop and I can download the latest updates there without any issues.

Thanks in advance. Questions, comments and advice welcomed.

Jeremy
jeremy7227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
jeremy7227
Minors (Single A)

more info

Wondering if this could be a permission issue in Ubuntu. The FTP may need to run with root priv. I am not sure but just throwing it out there.

I can't think of another reason the game would connect, detect the file, download the file to 96% and then error at the last minute. Only stands to reason that after the download to temp at the time it tries to commit to the directory and overwrite existing files it must be failing without prompting for permission. Anyone on the Linux dev team have an idea?

Thanks
Jeremy
Old 01-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
Jaxxvain
All Star Reserve

i know that 96% is where all my online league downloads hang.

It can take as much as 10 minutes at 96%.

I have a cable modem, btw.
Jaxxvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:30 AM   #4
jeremy7227
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxxvain View Post
i know that 96% is where all my online league downloads hang.

It can take as much as 10 minutes at 96%.

I have a cable modem, btw.
Are you using the Linux version too? I also have a cable modem and I am wired to my router from this Linux desktop. The download is slower than I would expect but it doesn't appear to be a connection issue at all. My Windows laptop is wireless and doesn't download slowly at all and never fails. Given that I don't believe it is a router config since both machines are behind the same firewall.

This is why I am leaning toward an issue on the software/OS interaction.

Jeremy
Old 01-21-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
jeremy7227
Minors (Single A)

still no luck....

Ran as root... <alt> <f2>, gsku ../ootp9, root passwd....

Still downloads to 96% and then fails with the vague error.

For additional info, I looked at the system monitor and the CPU, Memory and Network are very busy during the attempted download. Then all network activity flatlines when the OOTP status bar get to 96% just before erring out.

JL
Old 01-21-2009, 11:29 PM   #6
jeremy7227
Minors (Single A)

Old post - port 21?

I caught an old post about OOTP using ftp port 21 to do transfers for online leagues. Since Ubuntu has this closed by default (all ports blocked by default actually) I will try to open port 21 and update. I'll post again if this works for me. It seems like it couldn't be this simple ;-).
Old 01-22-2009, 12:29 AM   #7
jeremy7227
Minors (Single A)

Opened the ftp ports....

No luck

$ sudo iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination
ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:ftp-data
ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:ftp

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

This didn't help.... Is there a timeout value somewhere? Has anyone else encountered issues with Linux OOTP and online leagues? I am at a loss and going to give up playing my online league on the Linux desktop unless an inspiration strikes and a solution reveals itself.

J
Old 01-25-2009, 12:44 AM   #8
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Where is OOTP installed? I forced an install into ~/ootp-linux, and have never had a failure downloading my online league files, and I'm not running via gksu. I'm also on Ubuntu 8.10, FWIW.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:47 AM   #9
jeremy7227
Minors (Single A)

I am installed in the default directory. I think I am going to reinstall and force it into another directory too. One that has a more Linux friendly name. I haven't had a chance to do much more troubleshooting on this. I just resigned to playing my online league on my winxp laptop for now. I will be able to do more this week with the Linux box.

Thanks a bunch for the reply. I will keep you guys in the know.
JL
Old 01-28-2009, 12:43 AM   #10
Irishray

I have the same problem with my linux install and download files -- since I refused to go back to windows, I just started downloading the league file after every sim and extracting it manually over the league directory.

Works perfectly. A little pain in the rear, but I can live with it until a real solution is achieved.

Ray
Irishray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:23 AM   #11
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

I've got the same hangup at 93 percent and it's with an existing league, no changes, except for the 9.2.13 patch.
Charlie Root won more games for the Cubs than any pitcher (201), yet was remembered for one pitch to Babe Ruth. Find out more about the 1929 World Series in my book, "Root for the Cubs: Charlie Root and the 1929 Chicago Cubs." See the web site at www.rootforthecubs.com. The book is at http://www.amazon.com/Root-Cubs-Char...t+for+the+cubs.

Beta tester, OOTP 2007-2023 and iOOTP 2011-2014.
rasnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #12
Irishray

I can actually download the entire file with my Linux install. It moves really really slow. But will eventually finish. I have had it fail a few times at 92% or 96%, but most of the time, if I am patient, it will finish.

It has to be an interaction with ootp and linux -- on the same exact HW (swappable drives) my xp installation works blazing fast.

I am still trying to figure out the issue.

Ray
Irishray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #13
jeremy7227
Minors (Single A)

Still having the issues

I haven't had time to look into it myself any deeper. One thing I will say is that I will be as patient as possible.... I have even started the download and gone to bed. No matter what I do it gets to 96% very slowly but it ends on its own with the error. I never kill the download. So patience is not the issue - in fact quite the opposite.

I may reinstall Ubuntu and see if that gets me anywhere. I had changed some network settings and done several updates of some packages and even internals. I want to roll it back and see if it works. Then take it up one package update at a time to see where/if it gets broken. But as patient as I am, that's gonna have to wait 'cuz I just don't have time.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:03 PM   #14
TheDelChop
Bat Boy

FWIW its worth I am also part of the group who has this problem. The download rarely finishes and if it does, its' taken a really long time.
TheDelChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:45 AM   #15
pisdpaul
Developer PISD & OOTP

Hi Guys,

I am afraid I don't now that much about how the online league stuff works so I will need to call in some more help here.

The linux FTP and windows FTP code is exactly the same. The point were the code splits is as it enters the TCP/IP routines. This is a matter for concern to me as Linux/Unix should be much faster than windows at networking. Unlike Windows, *nix was designed around TCP/IP rather than a bolt on (Windows 3.11 for workgroups anyone?) and has had a lot longer to mature. If these timings are correct there is somehting going wrong and may well be causing the FTP code to timeout.

Can one of you manually ftp down the same league file using the ftp command line in passive mode and let me know how fast (or slow) it is compared to the game.

Thanks

Paul
pisdpaul is offline   Reply With Quote