Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 03-02-2015, 08:28 PM   #1
IAmC
Major Leagues

Budgeting

OK, I really don't understand how budgeting works with the difference between money available for extensions vs. free agents.

I had a budget of $55,000,000. My Player Payroll was $45,243,069. My $ for Extensions was $-3,928,807 while my $ for Free Agents was $7,604,624.

I had a player who was in the last year of their contract (at $440,000) who I could not negotiate with because of my budget for Extensions. Since I wasn't going to be able to free up over $4 million in payroll (especially to sign a utility player), I decided to take a chance to release him and try to re-sign him as a free agent (hoping for a loophole). However, when I did, it still didn't let me try to re-sign him, even though he presumably would be under the $ for Free Agents budget and he did give a dollar figure for signing ($600,000). To add insult to injury, the next day, he was signed by my #1 rival at half the salary that I was paying him!

So, I would like to know:
1) What's the rationale behind a difference of over $10 million between a free agent budget and an extensions budget? For that matter, why can I add a free agent at $7 million when I can't extend my $440,000 player by one year?
2) If my Player Payroll is over $9 million below my total Budget, why can't I sign a player to an extension that would add only a fraction of that difference (over future years, even)?
3) How are these numbers calculated, anyway?
4) Why couldn't I sign my former player as a free agent?
IAmC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:57 AM   #2
IAmC
Major Leagues

And just about a game-month later, that -3+ million changed to -7+ million, with my only activity being shuttling a few players (less than 6) between the majors and minors.

I just don't get it.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:04 PM   #3
phillupi
All Star Reserve

Could be some players got enough MLB experience to create an arbitration number next year.
phillupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:25 PM   #4
IAmC
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillupi View Post
Could be some players got enough MLB experience to create an arbitration number next year.
Interesting idea. I have one player who was already in arbitration and had a contract of $2.9M and who now has an arbitration estimate of $6.5M. So, it is possible, if arbitration estimates can change by that much during the season.

But I still don't get why the game will let me sign a free agent at a salary of $7 million but won't let me extend a $400,000 player by one year.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:27 PM   #5
phillupi
All Star Reserve

I would assume he's having a good year and playing regularly.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:30 PM   #6
IAmC
Major Leagues

Quote:
I would assume he's having a good year and playing regularly.
Yes, he is. So that explains the jump in the negative value for the extensions. The main remaining mystery is why I can sign free agents, then.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:32 PM   #7
phillupi
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmC View Post
Yes, he is. So that explains the jump in the negative value for the extensions. The main remaining mystery is why I can sign free agents, then.

Are you over budget now?
Old 03-04-2015, 07:32 PM   #8
IAmC
Major Leagues

Quote:
Are you over budget now?
No:
Budget: $55M
Player Payroll: $45M
$ for Extensions: -$8M
$ for Free Agents: $7M

And, just to make sure, I just went into the Offer Contract screen for a free agent (Omar Vizquel For The Win!) and it allowed me to submit an offer of $211,418, with "$7,456,768 left for player contracts."
Old 03-04-2015, 11:53 PM   #9
phillupi
All Star Reserve

Quote:
No:
Budget: $55M
Player Payroll: $45M
$ for Extensions: -$8M
$ for Free Agents: $7M

And, just to make sure, I just went into the Offer Contract screen for a free agent (Omar Vizquel For The Win!) and it allowed me to submit an offer of $211,418, with "$7,456,768 left for player contracts."

Can you screenshot your players salaries and years including minor leaguers? I'll see if I notice anything. I'll say this mine always seems accurate.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:42 PM   #10
ricealum
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
It's because free agent money figure only looks at this year's budget while extensions look at next year's. You'll see the opposite happen when someone in their fifth year goes from 5 years 170 days to 6 years. Suddenly you'll get more money available for extensions, because that player is no longer taking up money on next year's budget.
ricealum is offline   Reply With Quote