Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 04-04-2020, 04:03 AM   #1
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Go home OOTP, you're drunk!!

Absolutely incredible career-arc. Seems a bit random. But isn't everything so?
Attached Images

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:25 AM   #2
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

lol same game, a few seasons later
Attached Images

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

Old 04-04-2020, 04:34 AM   #3
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

The second guy at least flashed that power in the minors. IIRC in real life power does have a habit of kicking in later in a player’s career, to the extent that scouts sometimes pay more attention to a younger guy's power stroke hitting line drives into the gaps over actual homeruns. I mean, going from 10 dingers in the low minors to passing Maris in 3 years time is pretty extreme, still....

This isn’t anywhere near as prodigious (although on the flip side there weren’t as many homers back then) but I’m reminded of Brian Downing, who came up with the White Sox as a catcher who’d hit .240 and hit about 10 homers a year for you if you let him play full time, which the Sox understandably did not. He also walked a ton. He was traded to the Angels in the late 70s, got moved to DH and left field, and suddenly started hitting for power, averaging 23 HRs a year in his age 31-37 seasons. IIRC too he was known in his early days for being one of the few guys in baseball to wear glasses, and then at some point in the mid 80s he just stopped wearing them. Did he have surgery? I don’t know. I imagine nobody in their right mind would want to wear contacts playing hardball, but the 80s were a different time I guess...
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:54 AM   #4
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

These two are still going at it... yes that is 84 HR
Attached Images
Image Image 

Old 04-04-2020, 11:06 AM   #5
Aceshigh24
All Star Reserve

What are each guys ratings?
Aceshigh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:53 PM   #6
Book_Archer
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Although it is definitely overkill that there two instances of consistent 60-homer guys breaking out at that age at virtually the same time, guys like that are a lot less rare than you would think. If you’ve never heard the legend of Bob Lemon, then, well, you have a lot to learn. Even in more recent times, arguably the best pitcher in the majors right now, Jacob deGrom, didn’t make the majors until he was over 25 and a half years old, yet four years later he put together one of the most dominant pitching seasons since Pedro Martinez hung up his cleats.
Book_Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:41 PM   #7
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Players with that much power and collecting 180+ hits a season but that few doubles are so weird to me.
I still don't know why OOTP produces so many of them.
I guess because it is not a psychics based game and the die rolls are for HR and double.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 05:07 PM   #8
fuzzy_patters
All Star Starter

That sounds a lot like real life Brady Anderson. Of his 210 career home runs, fifty came in 1996, when he was 32 years old. Up to that point, he had never hit more than 21 in a season, which he did in 1992. Other than 1992, his career high had been 16.
fuzzy_patters is offline   Reply With Quote