Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:52 AM   #1
FSUKegman
Minors (Triple A)

OOTP 21 feature

It's February, which means that we hopefully will hear something on the new OOTP later this month so lets pass the time with this...What are you looking forward to or hoping to seeing in OOTP 21?

I would love to see the 3-D and the audio improved so that I can watch out the games while listening to an improved audio play-by-play without having to avert my eyes to the play-by-play box to read what is happening while the play is going on. I would love to get that box off of my screen.
FSUKegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:53 PM   #2
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

The things missing from Spring Training. Personal Hall of Fame. Site of All-Star Game different each year. Futures Game. Celebrity Game. Home Run Derby. Drafted by Teams League. Multi Team Trades. Team Annoucers.

Last edited by mgom27; 02-02-2020 at 05:54 PM.
mgom27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:55 PM   #3
rudyt2039
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Mobile app to play game on.
rudyt2039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:19 PM   #4
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Yea, a real audio PBP would be cool.

I posted something about 1996's Tony La Russa Baseball 3 audio PBP in the suggestions section, as being a good eventual model for OOTP, rather than MLB's the Show's audio PBP.

I came across that old Tony L game from YouTube and was really impressed, and it did seem to outclass "The Show's" audio PBP. The main difference being Tony L's game stuck with the actual PBP and player stats, whereas MLB the Show had odd-ball color commentary throughout that would repeat itself a number of times within short periods, breaking the pace and immersion.

Anyway, something akin to that 1996 game would be outstanding, if not in 21, eventually down the road at some point. In 21 however, I would like to see 3D refined a little bit more; not just the animations, but also the player models and stadiums.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:39 PM   #5
andyhdz
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgom27 View Post
The things missing from Spring Training. Personal Hall of Fame. Site of All-Star Game different each year. Futures Game. Celebrity Game. Home Run Derby. Drafted by Teams League. Multi Team Trades. Team Annoucers.

The all star game location does change every year including rotating between leagues.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:00 AM   #6
itsmb8
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgom27 View Post
Id like all of these things except for the Celebrity Game because i personally dont think itd add anything. And team announcers wouldnt really add much either IMO. But Spring Training needs to REALLY be fleshed out. Split-squad, minor league camp, everything. And the Futures Game would be really, really nice too.

Id also like to see much more in-depth/complex feeders, improved financials, and improved 3d graphics.
itsmb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:55 AM   #7
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Well, above all, the AI and 3D, as well as things like the financials are the areas that at least for me, are most important.

That said, as Kegman mentioned, it would help to have a decent Audio PBP, which can sort of make monitoring in-game progress a bit easier. I play-out all of my games, and something like that can also add to the 3D experience. Again, there are a lot of priorities, but it would be cool to have a working audio PBP similar to that Tony L game added to OOTP at some point in the future.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:04 AM   #8
FSUKegman
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert98 View Post
Yea, a real audio PBP would be cool.

I posted something about 1996's Tony La Russa Baseball 3 audio PBP in the suggestions section, as being a good eventual model for OOTP, rather than MLB's the Show's audio PBP.

I came across that old Tony L game from YouTube and was really impressed, and it did seem to outclass "The Show's" audio PBP. The main difference being Tony L's game stuck with the actual PBP and player stats, whereas MLB the Show had odd-ball color commentary throughout that would repeat itself a number of times within short periods, breaking the pace and immersion.

Anyway, something akin to that 1996 game would be outstanding, if not in 21, eventually down the road at some point. In 21 however, I would like to see 3D refined a little bit more; not just the animations, but also the player models and stadiums.
You have a great point about Tony La Russa baseball...Tony La Russa was a great game and so ahead of it's time and I was blown away by the play by play. Going from Earl Weaver baseball to that was such a leap forward for me. These are all great ideas and I can't wait to see what OOTP 21 has in store for us. Hopefully they can refine the PBP, 3D player models and the stadium models in 21. (fingers crossed)
Old 02-03-2020, 09:26 AM   #9
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Stole a couple from the talking bear

1. Multi Team trades (This would seem to be a nightmare to code though)
2. Team Hall of Fame

3. Owner Mode
4. More contract options. Such as setting different bonuses a year

My most important ones
1. Retraction/Relocation
2. Live start through the playoffs

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:28 AM   #10
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Also I would want PT to be separate from the actually game. The patch cycles are crazy now.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:37 AM   #11
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Does anyone remember the old Ernie Harwell baseball game made in 1997 from APBA that just announced the whole game? I use to love and sit back and have the AI play the game as Ernie announced it with his play by play. He would also let you know what every batter was doing that season and would let you know what the scores were around the league as you listened . It was way before its time and I have not seen anything like it since. It was like listening to a real baseball game but it was my league. Great memories.
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:13 AM   #12
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Then in News say like Orlando has been award 2023 All-Star Game and have the previous host pass it on like Miami did today to Tampa Bay for next year's Super Bowl.
Veterans Committee at Winter Meetings annouce who gets in Hall of Fame to and site of Winter Meetings different each year. Hall of Fame in Ductions at the end of July but still announced in January.
Insiders like Ken Rosenthal and when somebody retires can become Personal,Annoucer,Studio Analyst or so on. Teams have contracts with Radio/TV stations. Also when building a Stadium/Dome can decide when things go like Food Court,Team Shops and so on.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:26 PM   #13
gentlemanofleisure
Minors (Double A)

Things I would like to see...

The Buck Showalter DH mode. Teams start game with DH until they make 1st pitching change.

Allow changing league structure in Challenge mode.

Have similar challenge mode that the Hockey game has. Example - Take over the 1975 A's after Catfish Hunter leaves as a free agent, rebuild the A's dynasty. Make the World Series by 1978.

Fix Mel Ott in random debut. He always comes in @ 24 years old and hes always bad. Also fix Dizzy Dean as he's always a RP/Closer.
gentlemanofleisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:14 PM   #14
FSUKegman
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemanofleisure View Post
Things I would like to see...

The Buck Showalter DH mode. Teams start game with DH until they make 1st pitching change.
I've never heard of this before but it's very interesting.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:16 PM   #15
FSUKegman
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
Does anyone remember the old Ernie Harwell baseball game made in 1997 from APBA that just announced the whole game? I use to love and sit back and have the AI play the game as Ernie announced it with his play by play. He would also let you know what every batter was doing that season and would let you know what the scores were around the league as you listened . It was way before its time and I have not seen anything like it since. It was like listening to a real baseball game but it was my league. Great memories.
I admittedly don't know a thing about coding but how hard would it be to code something like this. I mean that was done over 20 years ago and I would think would be much easier now, but I could be wrong. Does anybody know how hard it would be to update the play-by-play???
Old 02-04-2020, 10:51 PM   #16
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Radio style PbP audio is my dream for OOTP. Listening to my team play on the way the work would be awesome
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:12 AM   #17
LooneyOne
Minors (Single A)

Idk if this has been mentioned before, but a veterans committe added to the HOF voting would add to realism .. being able to vote for players who dropped off the ballot, instead of being able to elect players to HOF anytime we want .. maybe add veterans committe as an option ..

How about being able to assign a hitting or pitching coach to a certain player to improve his ability .. like if you want a player to work on his HR power, you can assign the hitting coach to work on it .. or assign a pitching coach to work with a pitcher to improve a certain pitch type or work on his strikeout ability ..

I know someone said they would like to see the history of coaches and trainers to see why they have the ratings they have, i thought that was a good idea ..

Maybe giving catchers a new rating that determines how good they are in calling games .. and having pitchers overall fluctuate a bit depending on who the catcher is ..

Oh well, just throwing that out there ..

LooneyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:23 AM   #18
torpidbeaver
Major Leagues

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
  • Stadiums that evolve (as well as ones that are locked in)
  • The ability to promise a player in a contract that he'll be on the bench
  • Player attribute charting so you can see how a player has become stronger or weaker over the years or months or whatever
  • On-demand statistical charts
  • Relegation/Contraction
  • More stats
torpidbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:59 AM   #19
J_Dawg_27
Bat Boy

Shopping Players with Cash or Cash by itself
J_Dawg_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:39 AM   #20
hanno
Bat Boy

Been playing OOTP for a couple years now, last version I have is 19 so they may have updated some of these already:
-improved section showing AI team needs
-more in depth scouting
-ability to see difference between your scout and osa ratings side by side
-more breakout players: why do players always regress after breakout seasons?
My example I’ll use is Christian Yelich. In 2018 in my sim he had a monster season batting around .330 with 30 HRs yet his ratings didn’t improve at all... now in real life the exact same thing happened and I’m sure he was much improved in 20. Why doesn’t the ingame bump up player ratings after monster years?. It seems the in game engines always assume it’s just an anomaly and not a true sustainable breakout. Would love to see that changed.
— another example is with Ryan McMahon. His rookie season he hit 40hrs with ba around .290 and the game didn’t increase his ratings at all! If a rookie did that in real life the next ootp would have him 5 stars overall.
- more in depth comparison ability on both team and individual level. Displaying league avgs etc. so you know exactly where players and team stands.
Don’t post much on here but love the game and cannot get enough. Will be buying 21 without a doubt. Hope I didn’t repeat anything that’s been said too much

Oh and ability to start the game right after the World Series so you can adjust to how you would’ve like to see the off-season go for your team (sincerely a cubs fan)

Last edited by hanno; 02-05-2020 at 09:53 AM.
hanno is offline   Reply With Quote