Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 07-26-2014, 10:27 PM   #1
BaseballLife322
Minors (Double A)

question for those with jobs

Kind of off topic here, I'm pretty young(25) I have a part time job.. no kids yet or wife..

my question is.. for those that have a full time job and a family of their own, how do you guys find a good amount of time to play OOTP? I've just been thinking about this lately because I'm applying for a full time job soon, and I'm just thinking how am i gonna fit OOTP in lol.
BaseballLife322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:35 PM   #2
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Why do you want to apply for a full time job outside of OOTP?.......you know that there are many jobs available in OOTP; there is always a team looking to hire a new GM.....
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:50 PM   #3
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

The short answer is that you don't find a good amount of time. You fit it in around other things. You stay up late some night. You get up early some morning. You squeeze in an hour after dinner while your signifcant other is reading or doing some personal maintenance. You find a balance. You can spend a lot of time playing the game in your mind while you are supposed to be doing other things. Wait, I didn't say that out loud, did I?
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:06 PM   #4
hfield007
All Star Starter

You sacrifice either sleep or plans with people when you do manage to have time to spare.

EDIT: Completely worth it.
hfield007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:33 PM   #5
BaseballLife322
Minors (Double A)

Lol I'm just thinking of ways to adjust.. but I sometimes think about OOTP when I'm not playing... it's an addiction
BaseballLife322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:35 PM   #6
CHOWDERHEAD
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
The short answer is that you don't find a good amount of time. You fit it in around other things. You stay up late some night. You get up early some morning. You squeeze in an hour after dinner while your signifcant other is reading or doing some personal maintenance. You find a balance. You can spend a lot of time playing the game in your mind while you are supposed to be doing other things. Wait, I didn't say that out loud, did I?
Agreed - great game that life gets in the way of playing more often. Got me through undergrad and law school, but as the father of 5 boys I really don't get much time anymore. Honestly, flights and out of town business meetings seem to give me the most time. Best of luck to the OP in finding the balance that works the best.

Last edited by CHOWDERHEAD; 07-26-2014 at 11:36 PM.
CHOWDERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:18 AM   #7
Cras
Hall Of Famer

I dont play OOTP nearly as much as I used to back when I was young. The amount of time where I used to be able to sim a decade...I can get through maybe 1 season. Things have slowed down in my progression of my league/universe...which is now in its third OOTP version I wanna say...i dont quite remember. It is a nice way to relax at night, do some simming.

I also I think am more interested in detail in my league than I used to be, that also has slowed me down, I hunt for good deals, I pay attention to stories and players more and what other teams are doing.
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:25 AM   #8
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

I'm married with a full-time job and still make time to play OOTP.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:33 AM   #9
gosensgo101
Minors (Triple A)

I find just playing it when I watch the Blue Jays each day gives me a decent amount. Often I leave the game up longer past the end of the game than I really should, though.
gosensgo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:38 AM   #10
Barkingturtle
Minors (Single A)

The best part of growing up and getting a job is playing games on your phone or tablet while hiding in a bathroom stall.
Barkingturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #11
84Hammy
All Star Reserve

I figure the ipad was invented to keep my wife occupied while I play OOTP.
84Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:46 AM   #12
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballLife322 View Post
Kind of off topic here, I'm pretty young(25) I have a part time job.. no kids yet or wife..

my question is.. for those that have a full time job and a family of their own, how do you guys find a good amount of time to play OOTP? I've just been thinking about this lately because I'm applying for a full time job soon, and I'm just thinking how am i gonna fit OOTP in lol.
Just a little advice. When you get that full time job, make sure you don't forget to check the "cannot be fired" box.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:40 AM   #13
gbwitheyes
Minors (Triple A)

During meetings. This is important so write it down. When you are interview for a job ask them how many hours a week will be spent in meetings. If the answer is less than 10 stand up and walk out of the interview. There is no go reason to sit through an interview for a job you will never take.

Oh, almost forgot. If they pass the minimum hours of meeting criteria, make sure there is wireless coverage in their conference rooms. Don't take their word for this. Ask to be shown all of the rooms so that you can check for yourself. Nothing is worse than being stuck in a meeting and not being able to search for the uniforms you need.
gbwitheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #14
Elektranaut
Major Leagues

I work nights where no-one bothers me so I play OOTP and get paid as well
Elektranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:41 AM   #15
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosensgo101 View Post
I find just playing it when I watch the Blue Jays each day gives me a decent amount. Often I leave the game up longer past the end of the game than I really should, though.

Same... w/the mets.

IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:46 AM   #16
dmytron

Quickly simulate a season and watch for results, records etc.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #17
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Become your own boss. Then do whatever the Hell you want.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #18
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Become your own boss. Then do whatever the Hell you want.
Failing this, and most of us do, I have some other, serious advice for you, BaseballLife322.

It's this: Don't let OOTPB and other trivial pursuits get in the way of life. I see too many young guys (one in my own house, until recently) goofing around with video games and social media, letting those things get in the way of becoming engaged with the Business of Life.

So get a full-time job (marriage can wait) and get started taking care of the Business of Life. OOTPB will be so much more enjoyable once you have earned the reward of playing it in your reduced amount of free time.

You are a man now. Playtime is over until you have earned some of it. It's not free anymore.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #19
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Then when you turn 40 you will realize that the Business of Life is a bunch of crap. At that point, you will realize that you can play video games as much as you like.

But for the next 20 years get out there and rock...and roll the bones.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #20
david limbaugh
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
Then when you turn 40 you will realize that the Business of Life is a bunch of crap. At that point, you will realize that you can play video games as much as you like.

But for the next 20 years get out there and rock...and roll the bones.
It was 50 for me I took early retirement from my 30 year career and went back to college to be a high school teacher.

I have always played baseball. It was strat-o-matic for years. Then the High Heats, Tony Larussas, TL Old Time Baseball, and then OOTP4....

I also managed to get married and raise 3 kids. The way I balanced both was with OOTP I set milestones and tried to stick to them. I set goals of how much to get done per week, no more, no less, and tried to carve out some time to do that. When I was young and married it might be half and hour a night or two hours one night while my wife was out shopping with her friends or visiting her mother. We tried to give each other the same amount of 'my' time. If I had to go out of town on business for a week I realized my 'my' time had to be cut down the week I was back to make up for being gone.

Now I am 54. My wife has passed away (ALS). My kids are grown (6 3/4 grandkids). I teach and coach high school baseball and help with football, basketball, soccer and track. But I have summers, breaks, snow days and about an hour a night for OOTP. In about 30 years or so you will too. Enjoy the ride!: thumbup: