Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #241
Vinny P.
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Here is an excerpt from the Blue Jays reporter Mike Wilner.
"In such cases, Venditte has to declare to the home plate umpire which hand he’s going to use before the hitter steps in the box. Not knowing anything about Contreras, Venditte decided to throw right-handed, so Contreras hit left, and struck out anyway."

That's still hilarious, that there has to be one rule for one specific player. Don't believe that has ever happened in modern sports.

I wonder: Anyone know if Venditte is a stronger right-handed pitcher than he is as a lefty? It seems as though he favors his right hand, when facing a switch hitter.
Vinny P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #242
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny P. View Post
"In such cases, Venditte has to declare to the home plate umpire which hand he’s going to use before the hitter steps in the box. Not knowing anything about Contreras, Venditte decided to throw right-handed, so Contreras hit left, and struck out anyway."

That's still hilarious, that there has to be one rule for one specific player. Don't believe that has ever happened in modern sports.

I wonder: Anyone know if Venditte is a stronger right-handed pitcher than he is as a lefty? It seems as though he favors his right hand, when facing a switch hitter.
Yes he's a natural RHP so slightly better from that side. If he had a scouting report that showed a weakness, he would make a switch hitter bat right.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #243
Vinny P.
Banned

Quote:
Yes he's a natural RHP so slightly better from that side. If he had a scouting report that showed a weakness, he would make a switch hitter bat right.
That depends. It depends on how "natural" a switch-hitter is as a right-handed hitter. Venditte knows his own abilities and limitations. It could actually be a strength of his, if he was smart enough to make certain switch hitters bat right.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #244
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

He's a natural right hander yes, but he seems to do better against lefties (by all accounts his Slider left-handed is his best overall pitch). If you didn't know he switch pitched and looked at his splits you'd think they were the wrong way round lol.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #245
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That depends. It depends on how "natural" a switch-hitter is as a right-handed hitter. Venditte knows his own abilities and limitations. It could actually be a strength of his, if he was smart enough to make certain switch hitters bat right.
Pat Venditte said it not me.

When he doesn't know he prefers right.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 04-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #246
Vinny P.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
He's a natural right hander yes, but he seems to do better against lefties (by all accounts his Slider left-handed is his best overall pitch). If you didn't know he switch pitched and looked at his splits you'd think they were the wrong way round lol.
Yerah, I heard the same. He has a pretty wicked left-handed slider.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #247
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Venditte pitched 2/3 of an inning in the Yankees spring training game last night, allowed a hit and a walk. Box score here: New York Yankees vs. New York Mets - - April 3, 2012

Old 04-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #248
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

It would seem that Venditte will start the season in AAA, although I haven't seen a complete roster for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre yet. Ryan Pope is in Trenton though, and seems to have been swapped with Venditte.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #249
Vinny P.
Banned

Quote:
It would seem that Venditte will start the season in AAA, although I haven't seen a complete roster for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre yet. Ryan Pope is in Trenton though, and seems to have been swapped with Venditte.
I wanted to catch him IRL playing for Scranton too, which is why I was hoping he would start in AAA this year. Unfortunately, Scranton is playing most of their home games around NY state this year. Go figure....
Old 04-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #250
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I wanted to catch him IRL playing for Scranton too, which is why I was hoping he would start in AAA this year. Unfortunately, Scranton is playing most of their home games around NY state this year. Go figure....
I think they play quite a few in Rochester. Maybe I'll go down for one or three.

RichW

Old 04-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #251
Vinny P.
Banned

Quote:
I think they play quite a few in Rochester. Maybe I'll go down for one or three.
Yeah, I think that;s mainly where they are playing. It's like a 3 or 4 hour drive from where I live, as opposed to 1.5 form Scranton.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #252
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Seems typical

Old 04-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #253
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Not a great start in AAA from Venditte, but he's started slowly the last couple of years.

1 game, 0-1, 2.0 IP, 4 hits allowed, 4 ER allowed, 1 HR, 2 BB, 1 K.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #254
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

And a better second outing, 3.0 IP, 1 H 4 Ks, 1 BB.

Totals: 2 games, 0-1, 5.0 IP, 5 HA, 4 ER, 3 BB, 5 K

Old 04-13-2012, 06:15 AM   #255
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

1.0 IP and a K last night.

Totals:

3 games, 0-1, 6.00 ERA, 6.0 IP, 5 Hits allowed (1HR), 3BB, 6 K

Old 04-16-2012, 05:24 AM   #256
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

2 more scoreless innings last night, 1 BB, 1 K, throwing exclusively lefty because of a bit of soreness in his right arm apparently (according to the SWB Yankees radio twitter).

Totals: 4 games, 0-1, 8.0 IP, 4.50 ERA, 4 hits allowed (1 HR), 4 BB, 7 K.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:42 AM   #257
gosensgo101
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
2 more scoreless innings last night, 1 BB, 1 K, throwing exclusively lefty because of a bit of soreness in his right arm apparently (according to the SWB Yankees radio twitter).

Totals: 4 games, 0-1, 8.0 IP, 4.50 ERA, 4 hits allowed (1 HR), 4 BB, 7 K.
You might have discovered the best about a switch pitcher...an arm injury doesn't completely shut him down.
gosensgo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #258
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

im gonna keep a close eye on this kid. let me know when the yanks bring him up to the majors...cuz this kid i think deserves a shot!

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:47 AM   #259
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Venditte got the win last night, with a scoreless inning, allowing 1 hit and an intentional walk.

Totals: 5 games, 1-1, 9.0 IP, 4.00 ERA, 8 hits allowed (1 HR), 5 BB (1 IBB), 7 K

Old 04-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #260
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

An interview with Venditte from the other day:

BBD Interview with Pat Venditte - Major League Baseball - Zimbio