Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues

Old 12-21-2001, 02:43 AM   #21
blmeanie
All Star Starter

Unique yes, but does uniqueness give as much satisfaction as sharing the idea? Hard to believe so...what if the creators of OOTP decided - "hey we have a really cool game, it is unique and we don't want anybody else to see it" - and never published it for others to use.

If the idea is so revolutionary then use it and announce it and allow other leagues follow as they see fit. If it deserves it, other leagues using it would be a huge compliment to you.

The whole point of forums like this is to facilitate the sharing of ideas to make everybody's experiences with the game better...

email me at blmeanie

Above link works for some email client programs but not all, email me at blmeanie33@earthlink.net
blmeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 03:01 AM   #22
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

I agree blmeanie. If its so good, let others use it too. You can only have so many owners in your league using it, so let others use it IF its so revolutionary. Talk is cheap. Show us something. Action talks and bulls##t walks.

You were the one who posted on the board about how good it is, BUT we can't know about it. Why not just create your league and not say anything about the system if you arent going to share it with anyone?

[ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: Cooleyvol ]</p>
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 06:03 AM   #23
davep1967
Minors (Double A)

someone needs to grow up....sigh
Old 12-21-2001, 06:23 AM   #24
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

DaveP,
All I'm saying (or trying to) is that if I have something that I think is revolutionary and I dont want anyone else to use it, I wouldn't post on the forums about and say "you can't have it though". I'd just keep it to myself until my league debuted and let people say "Wow" then. Im not cutting squishy at all. Just saying if you can't share it, don't mention it.
Old 12-21-2001, 12:39 PM   #25
Squishmytomato
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Guess it was a mistake for mentioning it in the first place. I wanted to know if anyone else was currently using it. I'm not going to come in here and share every secret I have.

Squish.
Squishmytomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 01:17 PM   #26
lukster
Minors (Triple A)

oh come on ..share ... we wanna hear all your secrets... i will give you a quarter...

luster

We save no souls
We break no promises

"I've got wood you could swing from." soxwin
lukster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 02:57 PM   #27
InfamousMP
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Since nobody asked for it, here is my opinion:

I understand that you wanted to ask if anyone else was using your idea, which leads me to believe that you have told people about it already. Can't be that secret if people know.

And since you already did let the cat out of the bag, why not give us something about it. Just because you "might" create a league in the future? And if you don't? Does the idea just die?

I have had plenty of ideas for OOTP Leagues and I am willing to share them at all times. Who knows, I might just go and create my own game and/or league at one point in time, but until then, these guys (sorry for the ladies reading) help each other out. That is what these boards are all about. Just take one look at Tiger Fan, who goes above and beyond what he should just to help the rest of us out.

I am not putting you down and from how you make it sound the idea would be great. Not only that, but you run the type of league that I would love to be a part of and just can not seem to find still. (Crackerjack is just finished with the season, can't tell yet, but has potential to be lot of fun and FBBL, which I love just for the involvement of others). Just curious as to why it has to be a big secret.

CDL: Seattle Mariners

FAST: Tampa Bay Devil Rays

DBLC: Texas Rangers
InfamousMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 03:32 PM   #28
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

How would we know if anyone else is using it if you won't tell us what it is?
Old 12-21-2001, 03:34 PM   #29
LivnLegend
Hall Of Famer

My 2 cents...

(with apologies to Steven Wright, why do people say "A penny for your thoughts" but you have to give your "two cents" worth?)

I have to think if the idea is that fantastic and revolutionary and he has shared it in a previous league, word would have spread on it. It would have inevitably been picked up in other leagues and in use today. I have to guess that the idea is not a major issue for us to be concerned about.
On a related note, if not for the generosity of other users of OOTP with their ideas and time, I would not be anywhere close to as addicted to the game as I am. IMP's mention of Tiger Fan is a perfect one in this regard.

To those of you that selfishly give to make this a more enjoyable sim for the rest of us, I say thanks!
Old 12-21-2001, 05:27 PM   #30
Specs
All Star Starter

[quote]Originally posted by LivnLegend:
<strong>My 2 cents...

(with apologies to Steven Wright, why do people say "A penny for your thoughts" but you have to give your "two cents" worth?)
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Somebody's making a cent here... and considering how often that expression is used, they're probably pretty rich.

Quote:
Originally posted by Markus Heinsohn
Specs, your avatar made my day... damn human emotion chip
Specs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 06:17 PM   #31
Jestre
All Star Reserve

We have guys putting up free utilities, free graphics packages, free rosters etc, and yet an idea on free agency is a top secret 'I'll tell ya, but I'll have to kill ya' scenario???? Puhlease, personnally I could care less as I would never play in a league that uses free agency. I am strictly old-timer purist... but come on.....
Old 12-21-2001, 07:07 PM   #32
SnowMan
Minors (Double A)

I hope the big hush hush isn't over Marc's idea of agents.

I was in his league that used it, and to tell the truth, it wasn't that Earth-shattering.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 09:26 PM   #33
N8dogg777
Minors (Double A)

i never said the league was an ootp league.
N8dogg777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 09:28 PM   #34
N8dogg777
Minors (Double A)

Oh,and if those leagues were still running i would prove you wrong.
N8dogg777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 02:48 AM   #35
Aussie Mark
Major Leagues

OK, time to let the cat out of the bag. Tiger Fan and I were both "agents" in the league in question, which died a very early death (somewhere around June in its first season) due to a slow pace (try an initial draft that lasted a month) and too many AOL/WebTV owners. Simple as that. Great concept, poorly executed.
Old 12-23-2001, 03:03 AM   #36
Killebrew
Hall Of Famer

The S3BL (Strike 3 Baseball League) used a human agent system for contract extensions in it's 1 season of operation before puttered to a halt - that's not the same league you are talking about is it Mark?
Killebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 03:29 AM   #37
Aussie Mark
Major Leagues

Nah, this league was named "REAL Baseball". I think the biggest problem was that the agents had more OOTP experience than the owners (who were predominantly 13yo AOL users).
Old 12-23-2001, 04:53 AM   #38
lukster
Minors (Triple A)

oh thank god.. someone spilled the beans... now i can finally get some sleep. i have been awake at nites just think how this could work... thanks aussie mark... now do you know where tall arabian is... afgan or pakistan.. or...

lukster

We save no souls
We break no promises

"I've got wood you could swing from." soxwin
lukster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 09:15 PM   #39
Squishmytomato
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Wink

I never said the idea was Earth-Shattering. I simply wanted to know if any other leagues used this idea.

Actually, it's so much of a pain in the ass to implement human agents into OOTP it's not worth it. At all.
Old 12-23-2001, 09:16 PM   #40
Squishmytomato
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thumbs up

Aussie Mark and Tiger Fan:

Contact me on AIM @ Pacojr37, ICQ @ 41202909, or email me at Pacojr37@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Marc