Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:34 PM   #1
mrbadguy
Minors (Triple A)

Is there an end point?

In my years of playing OOTPB I usually start a new franchise before I (manager/Gm) gets too old or I need a change, so haver rarely gone past 20 years.

In my current Franchise I am now 74 and unemployed. Just waiting on my last players to make (or not) the HOF.

Does the game make you retire at some point or can you be manager/Gm for "ever". Its still saying for me to get a job.

Basically does age matter in regards to you (as Manager or Gm)?
mrbadguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:59 PM   #2
CBeisbol
Banned

I have no idea

Now I'm curious if you ever die
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:35 PM   #3
24Rocks
All Star Reserve

you can Retire your manager, I don't think the game will do it for you but honestly IDK if you will die tho.
Attached Images

AFBL:Ontario Blue Pirates (2013-2055) 3177-3255(.494)
Wild Card:8
Division Titles: 8
Pennants: 2020, 2049, 2051
2051 CHAMPS

Former leagues:
LOHO: Detroit Tigers
ISL: San Diego Padres
VSL: Pittsburgh Pirates
NPBL: Ohio Raptors/Nova Scotia Fishermen
Check you my YOUTUBE or TWITCH
24Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:00 AM   #4
Palaaemon
Minors (Triple A)

You don't die. The game will not force retire you. So unless you do it, you will continue to be active (and age) in your league/world until you retire the league, it corrupts or some such.

Have a Great night!

Palaaemon
Old 12-19-2019, 01:02 AM   #5
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaaemon View Post
You don't die. The game will not force retire you. So unless you do it, you will continue to be active (and age) in your league/world until you retire the league, it corrupts or some such.
The bolded alternative is a fate worse than death!

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:17 AM   #6
TheHistoricalGamer
Bat Boy

This makes me wonder... what's the furthest anyone's ever played into the future?
TheHistoricalGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #7
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Rocks View Post
IDK if you will die tho.
With the exception of owners, nobody dies in OOTP.

Last edited by eriqjaffe; 12-19-2019 at 09:44 AM.
eriqjaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:35 AM   #8
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHistoricalGamer View Post
This makes me wonder... what's the furthest anyone's ever played into the future?
I'm quite sure several centuries ie 200+ years have been posted in these forums.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #9
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
that moment when you realize that OOTP is just a baseball veneer slapped over a vampire role playing game
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:10 PM   #10
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
Not even the players?
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:14 PM   #11
old fat bald guy
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezpkns34 View Post
that moment when you realize that OOTP is just a baseball veneer slapped over a vampire role playing game
I had that thought the first time I read an OOTP manual, laughed out loud and named my manager character in the game Barney Collins (it's short for Barnabas).

As for CBeisbol's question about players dying, a guy in one of my saves suffered a fractured skull and his career was declared over the day after it happened. I thought that was a little creepy.

Last edited by old fat bald guy; 12-19-2019 at 12:17 PM.
old fat bald guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:30 PM   #12
Jerry Helper
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Not even the players?
It’s weird that would be the case. I don’t know what would be wrong with playing a 20 plus year league and having a former player pass away and have a news flash about it?
Jerry Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:38 PM   #13
cavebutter
All Star Starter

Players absolutely do not die in the game. Only owners.

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:17 PM   #14
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Yeah, players live forever. I just loaded up a game and unretired a 124 year old Babe Ruth. Heck, he still has a 40 rating in RF. Stick his corpse out there with a glove on it and he'll catch a few balls. And he'd still probably hit better than Chris Davis.

This makes me think what about player-owners? Too bad Derek Jeter isn't listed as the Marlins owner. If he was, he could die in game as an owner, and then you could unretire his player ID afterwards. The ghost of Jeter playing.. very spooky.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:54 PM   #15
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

There are definitely leagues that have simulated a couple hundred years into the future and if you really wanted to you could start as early as 1800. Ballplayers never die in large part because once they've retired they're kind of dead in baseball terms anyway. Managers retire as well, and IRL they generally don't do that job until they're dead either. There are plenty of guys, from Tony LaRussa to Jim Leyland to Bobby Cox, who might be able to do most of the job if they really had to but who just aren't going to be able to tell athletic 25 year olds to hustle, and who nobody wants to see wearing a baseball uniform.

I feel like the game mostly avoids the sadder aspects of the game when it can so I appreciate the decision not to have a death mechanic...
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:44 PM   #16
24Rocks
All Star Reserve

I am so glad the game doesn't have Death as a injury or even after, ya it might be a cool news story but its just common sense that you know players have passed on but you could always ask for it to be a news story.

I have a league where the oldest active coach was born in 2045 league is 135 years old, stopped play since OOTP18 to start new Universe no idea how far I would be by now.

AFBL:Ontario Blue Pirates (2013-2055) 3177-3255(.494)
Wild Card:8
Division Titles: 8
Pennants: 2020, 2049, 2051
2051 CHAMPS

Former leagues:
LOHO: Detroit Tigers
ISL: San Diego Padres
VSL: Pittsburgh Pirates
NPBL: Ohio Raptors/Nova Scotia Fishermen
Check you my YOUTUBE or TWITCH
24Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:22 PM   #17
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Helper View Post
It’s weird that would be the case. I don’t know what would be wrong with playing a 20 plus year league and having a former player pass away and have a news flash about it?
Former players do pass away in my WPK fictional league. Of course, any news story about this has to be created by me as the game doesn't know they've passed away. But I have an entire analog process for making this happen.

The Denver Brewers of the W.P. Kinsella League--
The fun starts here(1965-1971: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=289570
And continues here (1972-1976): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=300500
On we go (1977- 1979): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=314601
For ongoing and more random updates on the WPK:https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=325147, https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=330717
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:16 AM   #18
fredbeene
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHistoricalGamer View Post
If you are doing a historic simulation and keep playing, wouldn't you run out of players or end up with just ghost players
fredbeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 06:37 PM   #19
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbeene View Post
If you are doing a historic simulation and keep playing, wouldn't you run out of players or end up with just ghost players
After the current year, any new players are fictional. Personally I play with only fictional players in the first place (I do a fictional/historical hybrid where the teams and leagues are the real ones, more or less*) and I can say first hand that there are some really, really good reasons to not use historical players at all...

*One of my sims is in the 20s and I only go down to B levels in the minors. Also, the leagues are already integrated so there’s no Negro Leagues either. I also find that the game doesn’t really generate random players who are heads and shoulders above everyone else so I also like to manually create comps for inner circle Hall of Famers (Lou Gehrig and Charlie Gehringer in last year’s sim), special outliers (Hack Wilson), and players who help to wreck the natural competitive balance that the game institutes in those years (the Yankees signed Earl Combs from a small minor league affiliate and so even though the game does generate players of his caliber relative to the league, the Yankees aren’t dominant enough yet). Otherwise, I even use baseball reference’s transaction logs to approximate the trades, purchases, and waiver claims in my league.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:04 AM   #20
Reed
All Star Starter

If you are playing historical and do not click, players retire as in history, then they can play forever I think. I know in a test league I did I forgot to click it and fast sim 50 years and hade 70 year old players still playing. I should have fast skimmed a couple hundred years and then check. Basically player were taking their last real ratings and that was just repeating every year for them. Disable player development was clicked also.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote