Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:50 AM   #61
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Day Two.

Tochinoshin does not look good but Mitekiumi won. Very nice recovery from Kotoshogiku and there was a torinaoshi (do-over) today which does not happen all that often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpwhyJjdV6Y
Old 07-08-2019, 11:10 AM   #62
Magus978
All Star Starter

Running Thoughts...will be edited

- Nishikigi has had a losing record for 3 straight tournaments...surely he's gotta be in danger of a drop to Juryo sooner rather than later if he doesn't start finding success.

- Tomokaze just brute-forced Okinoumi. I'm guessing the judges review was to make sure that Okinoumi went out before Tomokaze went to the ground.

- Myogiryu also has the look of a wrestler that should be in danger of being dropped out of the top division even though he really isn't. Maybe it's the 3 straight losing records that's throwing me off. All too easy for Chiyotairyu.

- Good little match between Shimanoumi & Takarafuji. Also a strong effort from both Meisei & Kotoshogiku.

- Ichinojo is a big boy! Daieisho's big too, but pales in comparison. Daieisho took a pretty good fall.

- Great slap technique from Mitakeumi.

- Tough start for Aoiyama as a Maegashira having to face a pair of Sekiwake in his first two fights...but it looks like he's gonna come out of it pretty well.

- Tough road to start for Abi.

- Tochinoshin making a tough start to his return to Ozeki rank. Can't see him lasting long there with performances like that.

- Very long bout between Ryuden and Takayasu...very close in regards of who fell first. Think Takayasu hit first, but good decision to make them go again...and the second one was a banger too! Both get my fighter of the day award. Great pair of fights.

- I don't envy Hokutofuji right now...another fighter with a very tough start to their tournament.

- Main Event time! Hakuho was in trouble at the start, but settled in and finished proceedings with the Uwatenage.

http://twitch.tv/GanbaMagus

Last edited by Magus978; 07-08-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Magus978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:24 PM   #63
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Ichinojo is huge and has some good skills when he wants to use them. Unfortunately, he seems to mentally check out a little too often.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:52 PM   #64
Magus978
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONN CHRIS View Post
Ichinojo is huge and has some good skills when he wants to use them. Unfortunately, he seems to mentally check out a little too often.
I'm actually getting Konishiki vibes from Ichinojo, as in big guy who doesn't always seem to be working as hard as he knows he can.

Last edited by Magus978; 07-08-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:15 AM   #65
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Day three: Go Mitekiumi! Tochinoshin looks like his knee is still damaged. I wonder if he'll pull out and just go kotoban for September again. Disappointing.

What a match for Hakuho today. Babe Ruth is still hitting the long ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgHRxUPh6To
Old 07-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #66
Magus978
All Star Starter

As I did for day 2, I'll do a running commentary for day 3 as I watch the video.

- Terutsuyoshi making it look easy against Kaisei to stay perfect. Wouldn't be surprised if Kaisei ends up being in danger of relegation from the top division after this tournament, if he isn't already.

- Enho's smaller than me! I'm 6', 254 lbs! I should have gone into Sumo. He and his opponent Kotoyuki having a hard time getting the timing right on the start, but Enho succeeds with the counter and pulls off a victory against his far bigger opposition!

- Toyonoshima and Yago seem to be on the same path as far as their record goes. Someone's gotta win here, and it's Yago in a slow-paced battle of mawashi-holding.

- Chiyomaru and Kagayaki, both 1-1, looking for a little momentum coming off of losses on day 2. They've faced off 10 times already, with Chiyomaru getting the better of it 6-4. This time, it's Kagayaki getting the better of Chiyomaru despite a sound slapping technique applied by Chiyomaru.

- Tochiozan faces Sadanoumi, both coming off wins. Both have been fixtures in the Maegashira ranks for awhile. Sadanoumi made it look easy with his lift technique, getting a good grip on his opponent's mawashi and just brute-forcing him out.

- First battle of undefeateds on the day, as Kotoeko faces off with Takagenji. Both at Maegashira 10, could make some noise. Takagenji makes it quick and goes to 3-0 in impressive fashion. Could he make a run at a big jump up the Maegashira ranks?

- How about a battle of 0-2's next? We've got Nishikigi against Daishoho. Daishoho finding life tough a little higher up the Maegashira ranks, and just found it even tougher because Nishikigi emerges victorious and finds a win waiting for him. In the end, he reversed a potential switch and was able to power him out.

- Onosho and Okinoumi meet in an early must-win for Okinoumi. Early slapping, but in the end I think Onosho thought a bit ahead and might have tripped over himself, and as a result Okinoumi is happy to pick up the pieces. Both fighters move to 1-2.

- Tomokaze enjoying his bouts against fellow Maegashira, as he's 2-0. Today he faces off with 1-1 Shohozan. I love Tomokaze's slap technique here, they come fast and furious and in the end Shohozan just couldn't keep up. Tomokaze establishing himself as an early contender at 3-0.

- Chiyotairu's got tournament-winning size, and so far he's got early tournament winning form at 2-0. His opponent, Shimanoumi, doesn't have the form in this event, but has had 4 straight kachi-koshi coming into this tournament. He'll have to do better if he wants to make it 5 in a row. It's Chiyotairu who comes out extremely fast...but he falls! Used his opponent's momentum against him, and so much for that tournament-winning form of Chiyotairu.

- Myogiru and Takarafuji on the same paths at the moment at 1-1. Takarafuji's got the left arm taped up, or that could just be an elbow pad. As for the match itself, Myogiru gets the advantage after a very small stumble and moves to 2-1.

- Meisei vs Ichinojo got interrupted for some sort of news break. Via replay, however, we see that Ichinojo let Meisei tire himself out, and it was just a matter of lifting by the mawashi until he was out of the ring.

- Former Ozeki Kotoshogiku faces off with Daieisho. Daieisho is an interesting case...he was Maegashira 2 the past two tournaments, but after a pair of 7-8 runs he only dropped 1 rank. Needs to have a winning record this tournament to restart a challenge for Komusubi rank...but he won't do it with performances like that. Kotoshogiku made it look pretty easy.

- Abi's road through the tournament gets somewhat easier now as he faces Maegashira 3 ranked fighter Shodai, who's at 2-0 and looking for more. Abi's slap technique gets the job done here, and if he can do that to his next few opponents, he can get right back on track for a kachi-koshi and more.

- Now we get to see some Sekiwake action. Tamawashi returned to Sekiwake rank after a nice tournament last time out, facing off against Mitakeumi, who was promoted after a 9-6 record last basho. It's Mitakeumi who strengthens his prospects of staying at this rank with a win.

- Endo faces his second Ozeki of the tournament in Takayasu. Both are 1-1. They both take a nasty spill out of the ring, but I think it's Takayasu who won it as Endo's ankle went to the ground before Takayasu flew out of the ring...but hold it! We've got ourselves a mono-ii! The judges have a little talksie, and they've decided that we're doing this until we get it right! Rematch time! Cue the fast forward!

- Endo's ready to go...and now so is Takayasu...well, maybe Endo was a bit too ready. Let's try that again, kids. In fact, Endo was so ready that he bounced off of Takayasu and seconds later, hit the ground. Oops.

- Aoiyama, the Bulgarian, is 2-0 and faces off with Ozeki Goeido. I believe the rule is that Aoiyama can get back to Komusubi if he has a kachi-koshi. Instead, Goeido doesn't stick to the script and just overruns Aoiyama.

- Ryuden faces off with the injured Tochinoshin. The Georgian is really favoring that knee. Ryuden exposes the weakened Tochinoshin and gets him down with the Uwatedashinage (Bless you!). Tochinoshin should really consider dropping out and focus on getting himself healthy for the next basho, where I believe Conn Chris mentioned that he would be kadoban again.

- Have a little sympathy for Hokutofuji, who's 0-2 with probably the most brutal 3-day schedule I've seen in awhile. An Ozeki on day 1, Yokozuna Kakuryu on day 2, and now he's gotta deal with Hakuho. His road back to Komusubi may be impossible at this point if he can't find a way to win here. Hokutofuji puts on a great show, but in the end it's Hakuho who gets the win in a very exciting bout.

- Main Event time! The second of our two Yokozunas, Kakuryu, battles Asanoyama, another Maegashira who you should have great sympathy for as he's on the same path as Hokutofuji. However, unlike Hokutofuji, Asanoyama managed a win against his Ozeki opponent Goeido on day 1. It'll be a long road to hoe if he wants to make Komusubi. No shame in losing to Kakuryu though. Nevertheless, it was easy for Kakuryu here.

- Looking at the standings, we have two wrestlers who appear to be absent for this basho. Takakeisho, an Ozeki, and Maegashira 11 Toshikaze. Have to think Takakeisho will be kadoban for the next tournament he competes in. We're down to 7 undefeateds, and two of them are among the lowest of the low in the Maegashira rankings in Terutsuyoshi (M16) and Enho (M14). Another double-digit Maegashira who's in the hunt early on is M10 Takagenji.

Last edited by Magus978; 07-09-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:27 AM   #67
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Day four:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw-glDLhrp4

A spark from baby huey! Maybe he will make something of this tournament.

Tochinoshin is hard to watch. I wish he could get healthy again, I miss seeing his incredible lifts.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:48 AM   #68
Magus978
All Star Starter

You know the deal. Running commentary. Let's go.

- Toyonoshima looks like a guy on his way out, but I guess if he's going out, he's taking Kaisei with him. He gets his first win of the tournament.

- First battle of undefeateds as Terutsuyoshi takes on Enho in a duel of 3-0 competitors. Winner keeps their underdog championship hopes alive. Enho gets bum-rushed out of the ring first time, but it was a false start. Same thing happens on the proper start. Terutsuyoshi goes to 4-0.

- Chiyomaru and Yago appear to be going in different directions. Chiyomaru has lost 2 straight since an opening day win, and Yago broke through for win #1 yesterday. After a long drawn out bout, the directions remain the same as Yago gets his second straight win with some effective grabbing of the mawashi.

- Kotoyuki faces Sadanoumi next, and this is a master class of the slap technique. Sadanoumi had no chance against this, and flew into the front row. Once again, it's take a Sumo Wrestler home night.

- Next up, it's Kagayaki vs Nishikigi. Both could use the win, especially Nishikigi. Like yesterday, Nishikigi gets the win thanks to an effective reversal. Looks like he's pretty good at turning the tables. Both fighters move to 2-2.

- Newly promoted Takagenji is 3-0 and can establish himself further as a contender with a victory today over 1-2 Tochiozan. Tochiozan has had a make-koshi in 3 straight bashos, going 15-30 combined. No wonder he's crashed from Maegashira 1 to Maegashira 12. Good action here as they both engage in some hard-hitting slaps. The end comes when Tochiozan uses his cunning and lets Takagenji get a bit too excited...but hold up, we have a mono-ii! After review, the ruling in the ring stands. Seems like the review was to make sure that Takagenji hit the ground first before Tochiozan put his foot out of the ring. Good ruling.

- A pair of wrestlers coming off a loss now, it's Shohozan and Kotoeko. Shohozan charges off the blocks, and in the end the aggression made the difference, as he does enough to make Kotoeko slip and go down. Nice split though by Kotoeko. Who says Sumo Wrestlers aren't flexible?

- Daishoho needs a win badly. Okinoumi's coming off of a win. In this case, Daishoho wanted it just a little more and in a close call, he gets the duke. Both fighters now 1-3.

- Myogiru and Onosho are on differing patterns. Myogiru's form is W-L-W, while Onosho's on L-W-L. Something's gotta give, because the referee can't win. Myogiru with the big rush at the beginning, but he may have overdone it. A mono-ii is needed here! Did Myogiru hit his head before Onosho's foot hit the outside? The judges review, and they decide that like the 2000 US Presidential Election, it's just too close to call. We're gonna do this again!

- Rematch time! Same tactics, but this time Myogiru's rush works as he gets Onosho's foot out before he falls down! Tough spill for Onosho onto the ground, but he looks like he's okay. Turns out both patterns are broken.

- Another of the undefeateds, 3-0 Tomokaze, takes to the ring against 1-2 Shimanoumi. A nice display of forceful slaps as Tomokaze easily makes quick work of Shimanoumi and goes to 4-0.

- Kotoshogiku is also 3-0 and looking to keep pace. Chiyotairu at 2-1 could establish himself as part of the chasing pack with a win...and with a little bit of cunning, he does exactly that! Kotoshogiku got a bit too excited and Chiyotairu lets him fall to the ground. Nicely done.

- Takarafuji with the already-receeding hairline now faces 2-1 Ichinojo. The Mongolian eager to put himself in that second group at 3-1. Takarafuji taking some nice hard slaps to the face before they settle in the middle of the ring. A few more slaps and it's Ichinojo who wins. Takarafuji takes a bit of a spill out of the ring at the end. Ichinojo joins the chasing pack at 3-1.

- Aoiyama wants to be part of the chase too. Meisei just wants to win a match and give himself a shot at making kachi-koshi. Meisei has Aoiyama in trouble several times in the match, but can't quite get it done as Aoiyama uses Meisei's own momentum to send him to the ground! Aoiyama definitely in the hunt as he goes to 3-1. Meisei, at 0-4, may need some divine intervention to get to 8 wins now.

- Mitakeumi and Shodai are very familiar with each other, having faced off 16 times. Both are 2-1 and looking to be part of the chasing pack. Mitakeumi doing some nice bumping, shoving Shodai closer and closer to the outside, and eventually he gets the job done. Victory for Mitakeumi and he goes to 3-1.

- Our next bout features a pair of wrestlers who need to show some signs of life. Endo is wishing he could face a few Maegashira fighters at this point, because he takes on a desperate Tamawashi, who will be eager to get his first win. Endo was in trouble for a little bit, but got through it and was able to push Tamawashi out of the ring for the win. Endo's 2-2 after a tough start.

- Next up, a pair of desperate competitors. Daieisho's lost two straight since beating Meisei on day 1, while Tochinoshin is really being hampered by his injury but continues to give it a go against better wisdom. It's tough to watch Tochinoshin, an Ozeki, struggle like this. His limited mobility really biting him here, as Daieisho gets the win after a counter. Daieisho goes to 2-2, while Tochinoshin really should withdraw as going on is doing him no favors at all. He'd probably be kadoban next basho anyway, whether he takes a make-koshi here or withdraws like he should.

- After being beaten by both Yokozuna, Asanoyama must be delighted to see an Ozeki standing in front of him. That Ozeki is Takayasu. Asanoyama gives a good display, but once again he falls short as Takayasu gets the win after a strong bout.

- Hokutofuji has also lost to both Yokozuna in back to back matches, he too is glad to see an Ozeki in front of him in the form of Goeido. After jumping the start the first two times, we finally get a fair start. Hokutofuji looked like he was in trouble for a little bit, and the two wrestlers almost took out the ref! In the end, Goeido's momentum was used against him and Hokutofuji took advantage. Congrats, Hokutofuji! You won a match! Pick up your prize and push forward to a kachi-koshi!

- Abi's road to a kachi-koshi got extremely tough because he's gotta face Kakuryu. Our first sight of a Yokozuna today. Abi stays with him in the slaps for a few seconds, but Kakuryu's just too much. Poor Abi.

- Main Event time! Unbeaten Hakuho faces Ryuden, who's knocked off a two Ozeki in a row. Ryuden fights Hakuho off for a moment, but the talent gap is sufficient enough that Hakuho can win with a shift of momentum and a lift out of the ring.

- We are down to 4 undefeateds. Kakuryu, Hakuho, Tomokaze, and Terutsuyoshi all looking like the favorites at this point. However, there is a nice mix of 9 fighters in the chasing pack at 3-1.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:42 PM   #69
statfreak
Hall Of Famer

Nice to see new names contributing to this thread. What time do you guys watch the matches?

I normally can't sit down to watch until after 9:00 pm CT.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:20 PM   #70
Magus978
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by statfreak View Post
Nice to see new names contributing to this thread. What time do you guys watch the matches?

I normally can't sit down to watch until after 9:00 pm CT.
I watch at around 10 AM. I'm awake enough at that point to provide my running commentary, and be witty enough to throw a joke or two around every so often.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:11 PM   #71
statfreak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus978 View Post
I watch at around 10 AM. I'm awake enough at that point to provide my running commentary, and be witty enough to throw a joke or two around every so often.
I am enjoying your commentary. I have try not to peak ahead though. I won't watch today's (day 4) matches until later this evening. I assume you watch the NattoSumo videos. Wish NHK would release the english commentary videos sooner in the first half of the Basho.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:14 PM   #72
statfreak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus978 View Post
- Looking at the standings, we have two wrestlers who appear to be absent for this basho. Takakeisho, an Ozeki, and Maegashira 11 Toshikaze. Have to think Takakeisho will be kadoban for the next tournament he competes in. We're down to 7 undefeateds, and two of them are among the lowest of the low in the Maegashira rankings in Terutsuyoshi (M16) and Enho (M14). Another double-digit Maegashira who's in the hunt early on is M10 Takagenji.
Takakeisho is kadoban this tournament and will lose his Ozeki rank. He will be back at Sekiwake for the September Basho.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:18 PM   #73
statfreak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONN CHRIS View Post
Day four:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw-glDLhrp4

A spark from baby huey! Maybe he will make something of this tournament.

Tochinoshin is hard to watch. I wish he could get healthy again, I miss seeing his incredible lifts.
I have something to look forward to while watching today's matches. I assume Ichinojo's back has been bothering him the past couple of months. Noticed he has been using cupping therapy. First time I have seen a sumo wrestler do so.

Yeah, Tochinoshin should withdraw and focus on getting healthy again. He's a great story, just too bad he can't stay healthy.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:56 PM   #74
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

I generally watch before 9:00AM EST
Old 07-10-2019, 09:52 PM   #75
Magus978
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by statfreak View Post
I am enjoying your commentary. I have try not to peak ahead though. I won't watch today's (day 4) matches until later this evening. I assume you watch the NattoSumo videos. Wish NHK would release the english commentary videos sooner in the first half of the Basho.
I wish the forums had a spoiler button, because I'd gladly put the commentary in a spoiler tag so that everyone can watch first.

Yeah, it's NattoSumo for me. I don't mind the Japanese commentary, because I just watch it and commentate in my head, and then it just sorta' hits the thread

Old 07-11-2019, 10:33 AM   #76
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Day five:

A little resurrance from Kotoyuki this basho? I used to enjoy him and that barking thing he did that really bothered Hakuho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4CEL8r0goM
Old 07-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #77
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Tochinoshin put up zero resistance today. I guess that if he fights like that there's no chance of worsening his injury at least.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:48 PM   #78
Magus978
All Star Starter

Decided not to do the running commentary because the English commentator breaks my train of thought, and I don't wanna mute the video...but it seems like Tochinoshin has no intention of withdrawing. Kadoban awaits him for sure.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:12 AM   #79
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Day Six:

Tochinoshin finally pulled the plug. Aoiyama had a long stare down with Hakuho and looked pretty good at first but all to no avail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk7-E3EBMlU
Old 07-12-2019, 11:52 AM   #80
Magus978
All Star Starter

NattoSumo put up his vid with the Japanese commentary, so after a one day break, my running thoughts are back

- Kaisei's just getting crushed. Looked awful in defeat to Kotoyuki. Surely he's doomed to falling to Juryo.

- I love Enho. He's a true sumo warrior stuck in a peasant's body. However, I think his smaller frame is a big advantage as he should have more endurance for these longer bouts. Gets that low center of gravity, making it hard for Yago to get any real progress against him.

- Back to the big big boys now with Chiyomaru and Toyonoshima. Chiyomaru lets Toyonoshima get too aggressive and just pushes him to the ground. Unless there's a rule protecting against that, Toyonoshima will be joining Kaisei in Juryo at this rate.

- Terutsuyoshi is one of the hopes for an underdog champion this tournament, as he faces Sadanoumi. Some good power sumo from Sadanoumi and it's enough to send Terutsuyoshi out of not only the ring, but out of the undefeated ranks. Sadanoumi having a nice run of form, having won 4 of his last 5 matches to get to 4-2.

- Kotoeko's lost 3 straight. Kagayaki's lost 2 out of his last 3. Something's gotta give here. In the end, Kagayaki scored the victory and now Kotoeko's lost 4 straight.

- Shohozan and Nishikigi, both at 2-3, could use a win to help their kachi-koshi hopes. Quick start, and Shohozan scores the win with a Kotenage. His form wasn't bad on what in my eyes looked like a modified armdrag takedown.

- Daishoho has recovered pretty well after starting 0-3, and he takes on Tochiozan who has alternated in form this tournament, going loss-win-loss-win-loss, and not getting any real consistency. After some work in the middle of the ring, Daishoho gets the advantage and uses the mawashi to push Tochiozan out of the ring.

- 4-1 Takagenji looks to stay within sight of the leaders as he faces 2-3 Okinoumi. Okinoumi seems to have the big reach advantage here against Takagenji, who can't reach his opponent's mawashi. That advantage proves too much and Takagenji goes to the ground, as do his hopes of staying within striking distance of the contenders.

- Onosho (1-4) needs a win badly. He steps in against Chiyotairu, who has nearly 80 pounds on him. Onosho starts aggressively, but Chiyotairu's one smart cookie. He uses his aggression against him and lets Onosho run himself out of the fight...but HOLD IT! Mono-ii! From the main angle on the replay, it looks like Chiyotairu might have gone out well before Onosho hit the ground. In fact, I think Chiyotairu's foot was out of the boundary while Onosho was still in the air! This should get overturned...and it does. Onosho gets the win he desperately needs. Bad luck for Chiyotairu, but there's a lesson to be learned here. Stay in bounds!

- Kotoshogiku is part of the chasing pack at 4-1, and he wants to stay there while continuing his long road back to Ozeki rank. Myogiru is 3-2 and wants to continue towards an improved Maegashira rank and an eventual return to Sekiwake. This one took awhile to get started, but once it did, Myogiru wasn't messing around. He makes quick work of the former Ozeki, and both move to 4-2.

- Tomokaze now holds the hopes of all the underdog fans in Sumo, sitting at 5-0. I hope he isn't looking past Takarafuji, who may be 1-4, but has beaten him before. A good start, but oh my! Tomokaze choked under the pressure and slipped! Bad luck, and Takarafuji gets a win through his good fortune and moves to 2-4. This leaves only the Yokozuna unbeaten, and probably ends any hope of a non-Yokozuna winning this tournament.

- Ichinojo may have something to say about my comment just now, sitting at 4-1 and facing off with Shimanoumi. Ichinosho with the nice counter and just a matter of pushing his opponent out. He's 5-1 and hoping the Yokozuna slip up at some point.

- Meisei enters this one at 0-5, and if this lethal bad form continues, he could be set to drop to the fringes of the Makuuchi division. He looks for his first win of the tournament against Hokutofuji. Another one that took an eternity to get going, but when it did, this was good. Meisei's desperation was on display as he put on a good effort, but Hokutofuji outsmarted him and scored the win with a Kotenage. Poor Meisei drops to 0-6 and is looking at a heavy drop in rank unless he can get on a roll.

- It finally gets a little easier for 2-3 Ryuden, but not much easier. His challenge today comes in the form of Sekiwake-rank fighter Mitakeumi. Neither are gonna be a factor for the championship this tournament, but both will do their cause a load of good with a win. Mitakeumi is able to get a little lower off the initial charge and just shoves Ryuden out of the ring. Mitakeumi's 4-2.

- Tamawashi will surely drop out of Sekiwake rank unless he turns around his 0-5 start. Asanoyama needs to start winning to go for Komusubi. Tamawashi realizes his predicament and just overpowers Asanoyama en route to an easy victory. He's on the board for the first time.

- Takayasu is part of that 1-loss chase group. Daieisho would like to turn it into a 2-loss chase group. Daieisho owns a win over an Ozeki already this tournament, but apparently will not own a second one because Takayasu went on the defensive and let Daieisho use his own momentum against him. Daieisho goes flying (and so does Takayasu for that matter), and Takayasu remains one behind the leading Yokozuna.

- From facing the hapless Meisei to now facing Ozeki Goeido, the difficulty starts to ramp up for Shodai. He too owns a win over Tochinoshin (I'm pretty sure I own a win over him at this point as well), but Goeido isn't broken, this will be much tougher. Great excitement from the off, a lot of near-finishes, and Shodai knocks off his second Ozeki with a strong effort.

- Abi faces Tochinoshin, but what's this? Neither fighter are in the ring. Apparently, Tochinoshin has finally given up the ghost. He'll be kadoban next tournament if what I'm reading in the thread is correct. Abi won't scoff at a free win after his absolutely brutal schedule to start the tournament, he's 2-4 and looking forward to facing people he can potentially beat. Kachi-koshi for Abi doesn't seem as farfetched now. As I didn't see Abi do the thing with his hands and take an envelope, I'm guessing this means he doesn't get paid for showing up to fight nobody today. Poor Abi, even when he wins he loses

- Endo has the tough task of trying to get back to .500 against co-leader Kakuryu. Endo shows some great spirit in going on the attack against Kakuryu, but Kakuryu just bides his time and lets Endo do all the work. He's eventually able to use the momentum against Endo and just pushes him to the ground.

- Main Event time! The pride of Bulgaria, Aoiyama, gets ready to face his second straight Yokozuna in the form of Hakuho. This one took an eternity to get started, but Aoiyama fought very well. He had Hakuho on the backfoot for awhile, but Hakuho is such a great champion, he's able to turn the tides and let Aoiyama run himself out of the ring. Hakuho was pushed, but he's 6-0. Great bout.

- After 6 days, it's as you expected. Yokozuna Hakuho and Kakuyru lead the way at 6-0. Five fighters at 5-1 hoping to be the tack that gets stuck in the foot of our leaders. Then you have 7 more at 4-2 who aren't out of it, especially if both Yokozuna do hit a few tacks along the way.