Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:33 PM   #1
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Historical test sim with real Minor Leagues enabled and development engine on

TCR set to the default 100. And this is using the development engine so I know it's not a "true" historical sim using re-calc.

I've simmed from 1920 to 1980 so far (going to go to 2016) and the first thing I've noticed is historical minors with the dev engine on (at least in my experiences here) is NOT kind to starting pitchers who were great in real life. Almost all years, the top pitchers are Minor Leaguers who never played a game in the Majors and TCR was kind to them.

Let's look at some pitchers who the game was NOT kind to, at least in comparison to their real careers. I'll just show their MLB stats. I won't post every example but certain ones to give you an example of what I'm talking about. Again, just my experience and I know the development engine can really switch thing up, especially for pitchers.

I'm wondering if I'd get completely different results if I kept historical minors off?

If you would like to see the stats of someone, just ask. Remember that I've only simmed up to 1980 so far.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 
Old 04-06-2016, 04:35 PM   #3
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Will post more later.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:46 PM   #4
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

One thing I would recommend when not using recalc is to choose the option to base pitcher stamina on ENTIRE CAREER instead of imported season or 3 years. That way guys that may start out as relievers(Curt Schilling-Pedro Martinez are two examples) won't end up being career relievers in your sim.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:30 PM   #5
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

sorry, off topic, but sweet unis, whose set are they from
Thundercrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:38 PM   #6
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
One thing I would recommend when not using recalc is to choose the option to base pitcher stamina on ENTIRE CAREER instead of imported season or 3 years. That way guys that may start out as relievers(Curt Schilling-Pedro Martinez are two examples) won't end up being career relievers in your sim.

That makes sense, thanks. I wonder if that's the reason I'm seeing many legends have very mediocre careers?
Old 04-06-2016, 06:39 PM   #7
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack View Post
sorry, off topic, but sweet unis, whose set are they from
The historical ones? I don't remember where exactly I downloaded the set. May have been the OOTP Mods site? I've had them on my PC for multiple versions. I copy them over to the new game each year.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:50 PM   #8
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

I don't think the development engine would normally be kind to Koufax, minors or no minors. He really wasn't very good the first few years.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:01 PM   #9
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

The development engine is meant to not achieve preconceived expectations unless by a total coincidence. Recalc is meant to achieve preconceived expectations as a general rule. Using both together is totally awesome!
Old 04-07-2016, 05:36 PM   #10
JaBurns
All Star Starter

What happened to Carlton? Career ending injury?
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:55 PM   #11
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
The development engine is meant to not achieve preconceived expectations unless by a total coincidence. Recalc is meant to achieve preconceived expectations as a general rule. Using both together is totally awesome!
I didn't realize we could use both together. How exactly would that work? And how do I go about setting that up? Sounds interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
What happened to Carlton? Career ending injury?
No injury. At least not that I know of. I'll check again when I'm on my PC.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:08 PM   #12
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I didn't realize we could use both together. How exactly would that work? And how do I go about setting that up? Sounds interesting.

No injury. At least not that I know of. I'll check again when I'm on my PC.
Easy, just make sure you choose recalculate ratings when you are setting up your league. It's part of the creation wizard. If you want to confirm that development is on, just select the PlayerFacgens menu under game settings. I think for the most part development is on by default except for 1 season replay setups. You can check your recalc setting from the historical menu. Spritze is right, recalc combined with player development is awesome.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:11 PM   #13
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

So how do players develop in that case? If I use 1-year recalc, does that mean for the most part they will be true to themselves but TCR and development means there could still be some surprises?

I've never been interested in re-calc because I always figured sims would be too predictable in terms of career trajectories. I want the players to be similar to their real selves for the most part, but not TOO much. Know what I mean?
Old 04-07-2016, 06:25 PM   #14
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post

Never too old to learn new things about OOTP!
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:00 PM   #15
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So how do players develop in that case? If I use 1-year recalc, does that mean for the most part they will be true to themselves but TCR and development means there could still be some surprises?

I've never been interested in re-calc because I always figured sims would be too predictable in terms of career trajectories. I want the players to be similar to their real selves for the most part, but not TOO much. Know what I mean?
Well you last paragraph makes me think you might not be a recalc guy. If you do try recalc I think you may want to go 3 year over 1. But, recalc is going to be somewhat predictable, otherwise it wouldn't be doing its job. The reason recalc and development works so well together is the development takes over when players no longer have stats to recalc.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:21 PM   #16
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Well you last paragraph makes me think you might not be a recalc guy. If you do try recalc I think you may want to go 3 year over 1. But, recalc is going to be somewhat predictable, otherwise it wouldn't be doing its job. The reason recalc and development works so well together is the development takes over when players no longer have stats to recalc.
Hmm, not sure what option is best for me. Ideally, I'd like players to be like their real selves for the most part but not too predictable. Recalc sounds like it's pretty predictable. But is it pretty much exact when it comes to stats? Just how predictable is it?

I've always liked using the development engine, but I'm noticing that especially for pitchers, most of them don't live up to their real selves and in many cases it's not even remotely close. I'm seeing legends as career minor leaguers. I'm talking about star pitchers of the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's etc.. Now I get that that's the point of the development engine, but I'd still like it to be close to realistic. At least have these guys as regular Major Leaguers even if they don't live up to their real life careers. I wonder if the development engine is more harsh on pitchers than hitters? I guess a lot can determine what kind of career a pitcher has. Injuries, teammates, coaches, managers etc..

I wonder if it also has to do with using the historical minors. Maybe many of these players aren't being imported with as high potentials as they would if real minors were disabled?
Old 04-07-2016, 08:43 PM   #17
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hmm, not sure what option is best for me. Ideally, I'd like players to be like their real selves for the most part but not too predictable. Recalc sounds like it's pretty predictable. But is it pretty much exact when it comes to stats? Just how predictable is it?

I've always liked using the development engine, but I'm noticing that especially for pitchers, most of them don't live up to their real selves and in many cases it's not even remotely close. I'm seeing legends as career minor leaguers. I'm talking about star pitchers of the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's etc.. Now I get that that's the point of the development engine, but I'd still like it to be close to realistic. At least have these guys as regular Major Leaguers even if they don't live up to their real life careers. I wonder if the development engine is more harsh on pitchers than hitters? I guess a lot can determine what kind of career a pitcher has. Injuries, teammates, coaches, managers etc..

I wonder if it also has to do with using the historical minors. Maybe many of these players aren't being imported with as high potentials as they would if real minors were disabled?
Why not set up the same league you're running right now with recalc off, but leave recalc on and see how it compares? Maybe do one with 1 year recalc and another with 3 year recalc. I promise you one thing, Koufak will not pitch in the bullpen his entire career and I bet he dominates.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #18
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

There's just a whole lot more random chance with pitchers than hitters. You see that with pitching prospects every year. And I'd guess it does have something to do with historical minors. When there are no minors, you're importing a pitcher who is major league ready. That pitcher has already survived the random talent hits and developed the control needed to pitch in the majors. In the alternate universe of historical minors, these pitchers need another couple of years to refine their skills. With the development engine on, different pitchers will take those jumps. It may be that you will have to use recalc if you want the same pitchers to succeed who did in real life.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
Old 04-08-2016, 01:18 PM   #19
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
Ideally, I'd like players to be like their real selves for the most part but not too predictable. Recalc sounds like it's pretty predictable. But is it pretty much exact when it comes to stats? No Just how predictable is it? On a scale of 1 to 1 it is a 1.
Development occurs during the year and then recalc sets the player back to his historical norm and then development occurs during the year and then recalc sets the player back to his historical norm and then development occurs etc. Means each year gets some kick one way or another.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:29 PM   #20
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Recalc gets a bum rap. The idea that if you use recalc you will exactly recreate history, which is boring, doesn't take natural statistical variability into account. There's more than enough natural variability to provide suspense, particularly with the pitchers. And the pennant races won't all go to the same teams. A three game spread in the standings is nothing in the context of a 162 game season.