Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:03 PM   #1
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Adam LaRoche Retired

Adam LaRoche announced retirement after Sox asked him to reduce son's clubhouse time - Chicago Tribune
Good riddance Adam Dunn II. I would love to bring my cat Sox to work, it wouldn't go over too well despite the fact that my co workers who have met her all love her.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:32 PM   #2
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I don't know why this is controversial. It's not normal to bring your kid to work with you everyday. He sucked last season. He's got injury problems. He's made a good living. He should see being w/his son during these critical years as more important.

This is a "what's best for all concerned" deal.
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:53 PM   #3
psd
Major Leagues

"Williams said he decided he needed to draw the line somewhere, as many players might have similar requests"

I was going to say the same thing. If you allow for one, you have to allow for all. Can't have 25 kids running around the clubhouse. A visit once in a while is ok, but not every day.
psd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:02 AM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Who is responsible for a 14 year old when his father is not present?

Does he buy his lunch or is it assumed the team should provide it?

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:18 AM   #5
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Thing I get a kick out of is the media making Kenny Williams out to be the bad guy. The claim is, the players supported LaRoche and his son. I'm sure some players did, but I'm guessing several did not and probably let Williams know their feelings. I'm guessing the manager and coaching staff won't be sorry to see the kid out from under their noses as well. This whole issue is just silly.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:57 AM   #6
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

What player is going to go on the record and say they are against it?

Williams did what a boss should do. He gave him the dignity & understanding to work it out on his own, but let it be known he had to draw a line.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:07 AM   #7
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psd View Post
Can't have 25 kids running around the clubhouse

These are professional athletes. It would be like 167 kids, 4 wives, 17 girlfriends and 91 mistresses.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #8
Skipaway
Hall Of Famer

Adam LaRoche wanted something not normal. The club let him do it last year, hoping it would help him perform well for the team. Since he didn't do well, the abnormal request obviously doesn't need to be granted any more. Quitting only helps the team further more. If he has some new requests like chicken sacrifices, maybe the team would let him try.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:45 AM   #9
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

I'm with the club. A clubhouse is no kindergarten, nor should it be one. I work in an office, where one guy started to bring his dog to work on Wednesdays five years ago. Now we have five dogs, they all hate another, and none of them are well-mannered. Like it has been said, once you have one kid in there, the next millionaire veteran brings his pet panther with him. It won't end well.

LaRoche's reaction reminds me of a stubborn child. I can't get what I want, so I will now refuse to listen to anything else what you say. Rather immature. Who's raising that child besides him?

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:46 PM   #10
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
I work in an office, where one guy started to bring his dog to work on Wednesdays five years ago. Now we have five dogs, they all hate another, and none of them are well-mannered.
Yes, but the important question Westy is...How do they get along with raccoons amirite?
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:58 PM   #11
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipaway View Post
If he has some new requests like chicken sacrifices, maybe the team would let him try.
Hey, if it worked for Pedro Cerrano...

But yeah, geez, this whole thing smacks of preferential treatment, and I can't imagine many players not having at least a little bit of a problem with it, even if he is a great kid by all accounts. I could maybe see it if the kid was sick or something, but otherwise...no. Maybe once in a while, but all the time? Just no.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:31 PM   #12
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Sale calls Williams a 'bold-faced liar,' hangs LaRoche jerseys in clubhouse - CBSSports.com

Sounds like Kenny Williams made this situation a lot worst than it needed to be. If LaRoche had it in his contract to allow his kid to be in the locker room, then he's wrong. I doubt that part of the story though.

However, trying to deflect blame onto the players to the coaches, then defelcting onto the coaches to the players, caused unwarranted dissension. And now he's got a bad vibe in the organization.

I will say I've got a serious problem with Chris Sale telling his boss to stay out of the locker room. That's not leadership. That's insubordination. I don't care how talented the guy is.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:39 PM   #13
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

It kinda almost sounds to me like LaRoche was half playing just so his kid could hang around the team. If so, then I'd probably kick him out too. But I'm sure we aren't getting the whole story from either side. Just sounds like a bad situation.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:24 PM   #14
PotatoPeeler
Hall Of Famer

Williams always seemed like an arrogant prick to me. So I'm not at all surprised with how he's handling this situation.

I have never taken a lesson on how to talk on TV in my life.
- Tim McCarver

Guns have only two enemies; rust and liberals.

The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel.
PotatoPeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:58 PM   #15
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Release the dad, sign the kid. He couldn't possibly hit worse than .207 with 133 K's.
joefromchicago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:03 PM   #16
PotatoPeeler
Hall Of Famer

FWIW, LaRoche isn't officially retired.

Adam LaRoche Issues Statement On Departure From White Sox - MLB Trade Rumors

I have never taken a lesson on how to talk on TV in my life.
- Tim McCarver

Guns have only two enemies; rust and liberals.

The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel.
PotatoPeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:13 PM   #17
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoPeeler View Post
Article has been updated & Laroche has filed his retirement paperwork.

If Williams altered an agreement negotiated before the contract was signed, he's a lowlife. However, neither player or management should be surprised a "handshake" agreement is broken. That's why you make your decision based on what is in print.

LaRoche maintains Williams went from "scale it back" to "banned period." But was that because LaRoche failed to come up w/a plan or refused to do so?
Old 03-18-2016, 11:23 PM   #18
Skipaway
Hall Of Famer

I think it's perfectly OK to make Ken Williams the bad guy. He's an executive that has to suck it up for the organization anyway. White Sox just saved tons of money and freed up a roster spot by getting rid of a bad player. Teams sure all wish they can get rid of bad contracts this easily, and wouldn't mind having a "bad guy" in management if that's what it takes.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:37 PM   #19
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

If letting the kid in the dugout/clubhouse all the time was actually in the contract, then Williams isn't so much the bad guy as either an idiot or insane for agreeing to it in the first place.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:32 AM   #20
Skipaway
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSeventiesGuy View Post
If letting the kid in the dugout/clubhouse all the time was actually in the contract, then Williams isn't so much the bad guy as either an idiot or insane for agreeing to it in the first place.
I don't think there is any reason to believe the contract was like that, otherwise we are having legal battles now. Also Rick Hahn is the general manager that signed the players, not Ken Williams.

I think the agreement LaRoche talked about is more likely some kind of understanding, and even LaRoche said himself that he'd be OK to not have the kid there if any teammates or coaches spoke up. I just don't think any teammates that might happen to not like having the kid there, would want to really speak up though.

That's the point of better having Ken Williams being the bad guy. He's higher level and more removed, but not the top boss. Top boss has to be the good guy. GM is also better being a good guy. Teammates and coaches obviously wouldn't want to be the bad guys either.

Last edited by Skipaway; 03-19-2016 at 12:34 AM.
Skipaway is offline   Reply With Quote