Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
telamiina
Bat Boy

Im little dissappointed.

Yes. As the title says Im little disappointed with this game.

I understand game is done by rather small team and that way its easy to understand many on its flaws and forget them.

But biggest problem to me is that game is just to simple when it comes to tactics.

As a serious hockey fun its a really big problem.

Also player contracts are way to simple, no try-out, no bonuses.

Well Ill hope future brings more serious manager depth to game.

Thank you.
telamiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

It is the first version of the game, i'd say be happy we even have a game.
I'm sure it will grow and get better over time.
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

I agree that some of the things are dissapointing to start off with and I was a huge defender of the game. I am also a realist about the game and can see what this game is going to be. I was expecting a decent game for FHM this season and looking for the updates to make it great.

There is some things that need work and some that work great. All in all, this game isn't that bad and is playable but is labour intensive.

Good first effort in my opinion and lots can/will be done to make it that much better in the next little while.
tcblcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblcommish View Post
I agree that some of the things are dissapointing to start off with and I was a huge defender of the game. I am also a realist about the game and can see what this game is going to be. I was expecting a decent game for FHM this season and looking for the updates to make it great.

There is some things that need work and some that work great. All in all, this game isn't that bad and is playable but is labour intensive.

Good first effort in my opinion and lots can/will be done to make it that much better in the next little while.
My feelings exactly.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
fireholder
Minors (Double A)

More will be done with the tactics. I believe a month or so ago there was going to be a tactics overhaul, but instead of changing things and bringing in something new, the guys focused on trying to be as accurate with rules and such and also trying to solve crashes and bugs.

That fact kind of counteracts when we're loudmouths (not you, of course) who say they rushed it out and didn't care about bugs.

I also agree -- the tactics are bland and pretty ineffective. Right now your tactics rely entirely on putting the right people together, and there's not any true way to dictate how they play. I'm sure it will come in the nearer future.

TBN's FHM Forum
TBN's FHM Downloads - coming soon

Last edited by fireholder; 09-08-2013 at 08:31 AM.
fireholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
thebusbybriddon
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'll be honest, give them another year. And this will be the best game ever.
thebusbybriddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
dcpcarmona
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebusbybriddon View Post
I'll be honest, give them another year. And this will be the best game ever.
That might be a tad generous IMO, I think will be some time before we call this the best game ever...I would settle, for now, for a good attempt with a lot of potential to be very, very good!
Old 09-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpcarmona View Post
That might be a tad generous IMO, I think will be some time before we call this the best game ever...I would settle, for now, for a good attempt with a lot of potential to be very, very good!
the best [hockey stat based] game ever is what he should of said.

The only major reason for my disappointment over the "Official Release" is the game crashes at the draft in the first season so I cannot get by year 1. This happens in modern day, historical, custom. That makes it unplayable for me. But I still don't regret my purchase.

Last edited by dave1927p; 09-07-2013 at 02:44 AM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
yarfangor
Bat Boy

Quote:

This man gets it.
yarfangor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:

without a major revamp on UI for the next version, this game's potential dives drastically. But seeing as how ootp has improved that each and every version I will be expecting it here. The foundations for the actual game is oustanding; however, it is the complete opposite with the UI. And seeing how this entire game is going from screen to screen, it is of the utmost importance in V2.

Last edited by dave1927p; 09-06-2013 at 06:25 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #11
Zyllyx
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
without a major revamp on UI for the next version, this game's potential dives drastically. But seeing as how ootp has improved that each and every version I will be expecting it here. The foundations for the actual game is oustanding; however, it is the complete opposite with the UI. And seeing how this entire game is going from screen to screen, it is of the utmost importance in V2.
I agree that the UI is rough, but I'm guessing it's because they used an early OOTP as their codebase. I think some folks might be mistakenly thinking that FHM is built off the latest and greatest OOTP, but I doubt that's the case - it would have been easier to take an early-version OOTP codebase, back when the feature set was still fairly basic, and use it as the springboard instead of hacking and slashing through something like OOTP 12+ which has significantly more customization, bespoke variables, and so forth.

Hate to keep banging the drum, but it's essentially a matter of time. With each successive version FHM is going to look better and better, as well as more complete, simply because once the fundamental gameplay is established it will be easier to dedicate resources for the bells and whistles.

Heck, if they had tried to build this from scratch we would still be in the "wistful dreaming" phase, thinking how nice it would be in 2015 to get an alpha version to mess about with.
Zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #12
TopJosh
Bat Boy

I'm disappointed as well. There is a ton of potential here, I just hope it comes to fruition.

I wish they would have bought ehm and built off of that.
TopJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:14 AM   #13
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Havent made up my mind yet on a purchase. I dont expect the game to be as good as ootp 14 but with ootp as a model i do expect a little more than i did with ootp. With ootp there asnt much to compare it too. Base for windows and pro league baseball didnt do career, High heat was good with graphics but wasnt as good in simulation. Triple play was horrible unless you liked seeing the throw to first 20 times an inning. There was a hockey game before that i heard was pretty good but i dont remember.
Anyway id say give it a chance. As long as the game is supported. They wont be able to fix every single thing at once and new ideas and problems will come up. Still happens with ootp. But as long as im not seeing 50 goals in a game with historical settings then i would say let the game grow.
Just like with a musical artist, movie, sports etc. You dont know if it will get better or not. Well unless its hip hop then its pretty much crap no matter what you do.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:16 AM   #14
Penfold75
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireholder View Post
More will be done with the tactics. I believe a month or so ago there was going to be a tactics overhaul, but instead of changing things and bringing in something new, the guys focused on trying to be as accurate with rules and such and also trying to solve crashes and bugs.

That fact kind of counteracts the random loudmouth (not you, of course) who says they rushed it out and didn't care about bugs.

I also agree -- the tactics are bland and pretty ineffective. Right now your tactics rely entirely on putting the right people together, and there's not any true way to dictate how they play. I'm sure it will come in the nearer future.
Fireholder I pretty much agree with your post and most of the posts you make. However you really do let yourself down by continuing to get personal about people who don't share your opinions.
Penfold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:32 AM   #15
dmytron

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireholder View Post
Right now your tactics rely entirely on putting the right people together
Some days I think that for baseball it's the only tactic.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #16
telamiina
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutS|der View Post
It is the first version of the game, i'd say be happy we even have a game.
I'm sure it will grow and get better over time.
So far EHM 2007 is better game than this.

Im not really bothered by UI , visuals. It's just the lack of tactics and overall shallowness that makes me sad.

But as I said, I hope future will correct these flaws.

Actually they should have copied EHM in many ways and develop that.
telamiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #17
fireholder
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfold75 View Post
Fireholder I pretty much agree with your post and most of the posts you make. However you really do let yourself down by continuing to get personal about people who don't share your opinions.
I fail to find anything remotely personal about my posts.

In fact, I often use the collective "we" when scrutinizing things that are expressed negatively within the community. That's because these are things that even if many are frustrated by, only some express with disdain or in ways that would be standoffish to the developers. But I do think these instances are definitely representations of things many of us feel, some of us just contain the bitterness into a more constructive form. That's actually why I wouldn't specifically call someone out or get personal, I think it's much better if we all work together without being rude, to each other, and especially to the developers who are working at getting us the first hockey sim in many years.

I also do the exact opposite of being personal by saying "not to single anyone out" and then making very broad statements about an entire thread. Besides one back-n-forth with a fellow named Mickey (I think) which was a relatively constructive conversation.

-----------------------------

Also, you quoted something where I was clearly being lighthearted and joking, which should be noted by the use of "" at the end of it.

However if it's still a problem people actually have, I'll try to refrain from jest and such.

TBN's FHM Forum

Last edited by fireholder; 09-07-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #18
Penfold75
Major Leagues

I found your post only slightly veiled as I think most who had read the post and previous back and forth may have guessed who you were referring to. Jest and humour are some of the best parts of any forum not saying you shouldn't be funny. Loudmouth in any context would be seen as derogatory.
Penfold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #19
fireholder
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmytron View Post
Some days I think that for baseball it's the only tactic.
To be immediately frowned upon by most of this forum: I'm not really a baseball fan so I can't relate.

But isn't there a how they play in baseball for like, coach instructions on what to and not to swing at and such?

TBN's FHM Forum
Old 09-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #20
fireholder
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfold75 View Post
I found your post only slightly veiled as I think most who had read the post and previous back and forth may have guessed who you were referring to. Jest and humour are some of the best parts of any forum not saying you shouldn't be funny. Loudmouth in any context would be seen as derogatory.
Who was I referring to then? I assure you it certainly wasn't the Mickey fellow. It, literally, was the entire contingent of "us" that has been a bit over-the-line in being crass with the developers.

I do suppose using a singular "loudmouth" instead of "loudmouths" may have been the cause of misunderstanding, but I really didn't expect to wind up so scrutinized for what was a straightforward and lighthearted comment.

Perhaps I misread things, but it really seems like the "heat" has died down around here, and I didn't think it would be it was out of line to poke fun at it. We can all be way too inflammatory when anticipation crashes into a brick wall of reality when the game we have waited for for so long dramatically fails to live up to our hype. That "seriousness" is what I was poking fun at.

But I'm not above apology. If anyone legitimately felt under attack by my joke, I assure them that not only is that really not what was intended at all, but I do wholeheartedly apologize. No one should feel like they're being attacked, and I know full too well how it can feel when someone refuses to let something go and carries on in a passive aggressive or nasty way. It's very much a real bummer. So if I somehow hurt someone, I'm sorry.

TBN's FHM Forum