Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: PRIMARY mode?
Modern 55 40.44%
Historical 31 22.79%
Fictional (when available) 50 36.76%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #41
jayze302
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Historical mode needs more love. Just think of the possibilities! They are practically endless.
While I see the fun in historical, I have never touched in in OOTP. I play modern and fictional.... an in fictional the possibilities are not practically endless, they are endless! lol

Anyway, I like the idea of the devs investing time in historical development, but I think you are seeing from this poll that there is more interest in having full fictional abilities similar to what OOTP offers.
jayze302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #42
grindline
Minors (Single A)

1. Modern
2. Historical (for a bit of a change occasionally)

I don't have any plans for anything fictional.
grindline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #43
outrider64
Major Leagues

My main mode of play will be historical, just like I play OOTP.

In OOTP I replay past seasons with tight pennant races to see if my game alters history. Love playing this way.

I tried a number of leagues fictional and modern leagues in OOTP and I always over spend or don't pay attention to the budget and my teams are terrible for many years. I'm a manager, not an accountant

I have been a hockey fan for 40+ years. But I was furious at the lockout back in 2004 that wiped out the whole season. Since then I have paid less attention to today's game. This year's lockout didn't surprise me, and another one down the road wouldn't shock me either.

But I am interested in re-creating history to see if I can get the 70's Bruins to beat those damn Habs teams.
outrider64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:08 AM   #44
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider64 View Post
But I am interested in re-creating history to see if I can get the 70's Bruins to beat those damn Habs teams.
As long as you won't put your team in trouble like Don Cherry did by getting a penalty for having too many men on the ice with only two minutes to go to win the Cup you'll be fine.

This is what I call bad coaching with a capital B
AESP_pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #45
RoPa
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by AESP_pres View Post
As long as you won't put your team in trouble like Don Cherry did by getting a penalty for having too many men on the ice with only two minutes to go to win the Cup you'll be fine.

This is what I call bad coaching with a capital B
That Cherry blunder was in the semifinals, the finals that season was Habs - Rangers.
RoPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #46
tward13
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayze302 View Post
While I see the fun in historical, I have never touched in in OOTP. I play modern and fictional.... an in fictional the possibilities are not practically endless, they are endless! lol

Anyway, I like the idea of the devs investing time in historical development, but I think you are seeing from this poll that there is more interest in having full fictional abilities similar to what OOTP offers.
Really? I see over 60% not using fictional as first choice.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #47
tward13
All Star Starter

Of people posting their preferences where it was pretty clear on their list or description I see Modern as being most popular followed by historical then fictional.

Mainly that comes from Modern very rarely being the last choice.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #48
gbmoore121
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward13 View Post
I see the same for Modern if you look at the poll. I think the point is that people enjoy the games in different ways. Same as OOTP. I enjoy fictional. I enjoy being able to create an entirely fictional universe and would love to bring hockey into that.

I think there is room for all 3 and it seems like that is the vision of the developer. Looking forward to seeing what comes down from a fictional perspective, so I can purchase the game.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #49
jayze302
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward13 View Post
I see 80% saying that historical is not their first choice, yet that is what the devs are spending their time on.

In the end I am cool, as long as leagues are editable it shouldn't be a problem.
jayze302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #50
scuffleball
Major Leagues

My guess would be that the belief is that the historic replay community is the most fanatical and most likely to purchase the game. Just my guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayze302 View Post
I see 80% saying that historical is not their first choice, yet that is what the devs are spending their time on.

In the end I am cool, as long as leagues are editable it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #51
CeeBee
Minors (Double A)

Considering only 91 people have voted I wouldn't say this thread/poll is the be-all/end-all. If only 91 people buy this game we will never see version 2 or any other decent hockey management game in a good long while. Anybody who has ever put out a game of any sort knows right off the bat that there is a big world out there and what happens on the company forum is just a drop in the bucket and not always indicative of the real world. That said I like the fact that all 3 ways to play will be covered and that there seems to be a good mix of people interested in any or all of them!
CeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #52
tward13
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmoore121 View Post
I see the same for Modern if you look at the poll. I think the point is that people enjoy the games in different ways. Same as OOTP. I enjoy fictional. I enjoy being able to create an entirely fictional universe and would love to bring hockey into that.

I think there is room for all 3 and it seems like that is the vision of the developer. Looking forward to seeing what comes down from a fictional perspective, so I can purchase the game.
Difference is Historical and Modern both use real players while fictional allows for whatever.

If you look at the individual posts where people ranked them in order, fictional was the last choice more often.

And I agree of course with the person who pointed out that 90 some is a small sample size.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #53
fireholder
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
Considering only 91 people have voted I wouldn't say this thread/poll is the be-all/end-all. If only 91 people buy this game we will never see version 2 or any other decent hockey management game in a good long while. Anybody who has ever put out a game of any sort knows right off the bat that there is a big world out there and what happens on the company forum is just a drop in the bucket and not always indicative of the real world. That said I like the fact that all 3 ways to play will be covered and that there seems to be a good mix of people interested in any or all of them!
how many people are expected to buy the game?

a mild knowledge of statistics should say 91 wouldn't be a bad sample size and the margin of error shouldn't be that disastrous.
fireholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #54
CeeBee
Minors (Double A)

The only problem is the 91 are all posting on this site. That seems to me like a national poll with only one province or state being polled, no?
CeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #55
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Well, not all - see this poll: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...e-can-get.html

Anyway even if that was all people who post here it may be very well biased. Let's say that supporters of fictional are more active or mostly know and like OOTP so they naturally found this forums. The result would be skewed by this. It's the same as for example elections - it's natural that different candidates have different support in different provinces.
geckon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #56
iamcline
Minors (Rookie Ball)

More than likely I'll do Modern, but Fictional intrigues me.
iamcline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #57
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

Fictional is a lot of fun to play because you can do whatever, whenever and see what happens an not have any kind of tie in with "real life". The biggest problem with historical play is if a Gretzky or Lemieux doesn't do well, then you don't think that the game is working right and why doesn't Gretzky have this many assists like he did or Lemieux this many points?

In fictional leagues, you don't have that and you can see what these "new players" can do and you never can say wow he is a bust from real life or man, that guy scored 50 that season, why does he only have 25 goals?

That being said, I do love historical leagues in ootp and see how players do but my game has always been fictional.
tcblcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #58
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblcommish View Post
The biggest problem with historical play is if a Gretzky or Lemieux doesn't do well, then you don't think that the game is working right and why doesn't Gretzky have this many assists like he did or Lemieux this many points?
I wouldn't. A player production depend of who play with him, how much ice time he got and his ice time on the power play.

Gretzky without Kurri or Semenko isn't the same player, just like Goulet without Hunter isn't a 50 goal players.

For the baseball it's different, a player like Babe Ruth or Barry Bonds will get more or less the same production in OOTP than his real life counterpart (of course the injury history can change that). As who they play with doesn't change their ability considering that offensive performances are individual and depend of no one.

Last edited by AESP_pres; 01-27-2013 at 07:44 PM.
AESP_pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:20 AM   #59
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AESP_pres View Post
I wouldn't. A player production depend of who play with him, how much ice time he got and his ice time on the power play.

Gretzky without Kurri or Semenko isn't the same player, just like Goulet without Hunter isn't a 50 goal players.

For the baseball it's different, a player like Babe Ruth or Barry Bonds will get more or less the same production in OOTP than his real life counterpart (of course the injury history can change that). As who they play with doesn't change their ability considering that offensive performances are individual and depend of no one.
You would be in a heavy minority. When ehm came out, there was a lot of talk about that. That was using the modern day rosters, at the time of the game.
tcblcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #60
Icy
All Star Reserve

Modern mainly, but maybe some fictional too.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote