Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions

Old 01-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #41
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

Same as with OOTP: Historical, Modern (only as a minor league coach) and that's all.

I don't play fictional, but being a Rookie League coach using the ML 2012 rooster is pretty much fictional...
AESP_pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #42
Stealcompany
Minors (Triple A)

I think that the path being taken by this games' developers is the right one.
It looks like we'll get a game that will have a pretty expansive current day universe and an historical mode that will take in the modern era of the NHL.

On top of that it looks like the options for customization will offer plenty of opportunity to create a unique universe.

It also sounds like the team have heard what members of the community have had to say about fictional leagues ( if I read what Sebastian said correctly). All of this is good news.

In terms of going deeper historically in future versions I think care needs to be taken. Ice hockey was a game in the process of evolving through the first half of the 20th century.

If I went to a baseball game in 1901 I'd be able to recognize the game as being pretty similar to what baseball in 2013 is like.

The same isn't true of hockey. Go to a game in 1910. There might be seven players a side. Can the goalie drop to make a save? Are there forward passes allowed. Is it three periods or two halves? How are penalties handled? What lines are there on the ice surface, where are the face-off spots? What size roster does a club consist of? What sort of salary cap and individual salary limits exist?

My hope is that the developers and the game community work together to create a game that can reflect the turmoil that ice hockey went through in the first half of the 20th century.

Oh and by the way - Please take my money!!!!
Stealcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #43
Harry Chiti
Minors (Single A)

I'm tired of waiting!

Release the buggy unplayable game, already!
Harry Chiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #44
hobbitrjw
Minors (Triple A)

Ok,here is what I'm still scratching my head about....

From the comments Sebastian Made,am I correct to infer that the addition of the ability to create fictional leagues is "No problem" and can easily be added,and that a few seeds have already been planted towards this?

If this is a correct interpretation then my simple question is,why wait to add it in for a patch or update or whatever their schedule might be? If its so easy to implement and the game is still under heavy development,then why wait for a patch? Especially when we know the first few patches will be dedicated to fixing the bugs that are sure to show their ugly heads in the first initial release.

Mostly choosing to add full fictional league features before initial release would surely give the game more "brownie points" when it comes to the audiences it appeals too. Which would make little tidbits like international Tournaments and other little things you add in later on even better.
hobbitrjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #45
geckon
Hall Of Famer

For me it's like...
- modern day
- historical (if there was European hockey as well it would be more attractive to me although I'm aware that it's not quite possible - maybe KHL with its short history in the future versions?)
- fictional (I hadn't seen why it should be attractive before but now I see a little sense of it and maybe I'll try it myself after hours/days of playing other modes)

What I'm trying to say is that everyone has different preferences and I don't envy developers their role and that they must choose what to implement first and what influence it will have on us and the game's sales and overall success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbitrjw View Post
Ok,here is what I'm still scratching my head about....

From the comments Sebastian Made,am I correct to infer that the addition of the ability to create fictional leagues is "No problem" and can easily be added,and that a few seeds have already been planted towards this?

If this is a correct interpretation then my simple question is,why wait to add it in for a patch or update or whatever their schedule might be? If its so easy to implement and the game is still under heavy development,then why wait for a patch? Especially when we know the first few patches will be dedicated to fixing the bugs that are sure to show their ugly heads in the first initial release.

Mostly choosing to add full fictional league features before initial release would surely give the game more "brownie points" when it comes to the audiences it appeals too. Which would make little tidbits like international Tournaments and other little things you add in later on even better.
I read it differently. I don't think that implementing of full fictional mode is very easy. I think Sebastian wrote that there are not any "wrong" decisions that would make implementation harder. In other words... The overall design of the game is good and ready for the fictional mode (meaning that there are not any hurdles/difficulties that must be removed first). I hope you understand what I'm trying to express.
geckon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #46
drewst18
Minors (Double A)

Easy is a relative term. Easy could be easy in the fact its not going to take a full game cycle to add in, but not something that is gonna take a couple weeks.

If the game is ready minus fictional leagues then release it and patch it in, it'd be silly not to. What is the problem with releasing as is and patching it in? At least then you have the other features to keep you busy until its ready... it just makes zero sense, other than to complain.
drewst18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:17 AM   #47
Coder
Bat Boy

Been looking forward to a game like this ever since I played OOTP the first time. Being a hockey-fan, I've wanted to create a fictional hockey universe starting in the early 1900s for years, then co run a baseball league starting at the same time.

Another dream was to start two historical leagues starting in the same year for both sports and watch them develop over time.

The key, however, is to always have a fairly fictional development to the leagues. While I don't mind (and for the historical leagues certainly intend to) having "real" rookies drafted, I don't want them to go to the teams they actually played for in the real world, instead I want them drafted in the regular manner.

I got a bit worried when I read somewhere that if you start a historical league, you're kind of tied down to a "historical setup" even if you go beyond today's date. I don't want my historical league starting in 1999 (for example) to have Atlanta moved in to Winnipeg in 2011 just because it happened in real life. I also want to have full minor league setup and international leagues (if that's possible in the "full game") in my historical league.. I simply see no other difference in a "historical" league starting in 1999 and a "regular" league starting in 2013 as far as features go.

Basically, fiction/historical/current, they all blend together in my world. But if I have to prioritize in any way, here's my list of league preferences:

1. Fictional
2. Historical
3. Modern

That said, I will purchase FHM no matter what. I have 100% faith in OOTP Developments and their products because they have the same vision I have when it comes to sports games. Thus, even if FHM doesn't look exactly the way I expect at release, I want to support them and encourage them to keep working towards a goal where FHM truly is the OOTP of hockey.

Last edited by Coder; 01-24-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:36 AM   #48
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Please take all of my answers as not granted. I have nothing in common with the developers team and I just write what I remember I've read somewhere on the forums. And I can be very well mistaken. In that case please feel free to make me correct. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder View Post
Been looking forward to a game like this ever since I played OOTP the first time. Being a hockey-fan, I've wanted to create a fictional hockey universe starting in the early 1900s for years, then co run a baseball league starting at the same time.

Another dream was to start two historical leagues starting in the same year for both sports and watch them develop over time.
You should be able to set starting date as you wish so this should be possible (you will just use today's hockey rules for example - they were really different in the beginning of the 20th century).

Quote:
The key, however, is to always have a fairly fictional development to the leagues. While I don't mind (and for the historical leagues certainly intend to) having "real" rookies drafted, I don't want them to go to the teams they actually played for in the real world, instead I want them drafted in the regular manner.
You should be allowed to choose whether you like keeping the historical draft picks or whether you'd like to draft players "naturally".

Quote:
I got a bit worried when I read somewhere that if you start a historical league, you're kind of tied down to a "historical setup" even if you go beyond today's date. I don't want my historical league starting in 1999 (for example) to have Atlanta moved in to Winnipeg in 2011 just because it happened in real life. I also want to have full minor league setup and international leagues (if that's possible in the "full game") in my historical league.. I simply see no other difference in a "historical" league starting in 1999 and a "regular" league starting in 2013 as far as features go.
You will be able to add/remove/move teams in the league as you like between any two seasons. You can switch to the commissioner mode and make (or not) almost any changes you would like to see.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #49
erikthered
Minors (Single A)

Since we're discussing personal priorities, for me it's:

1. Modern--Leagues
2. Modern--International
3. Historical
4. Fictional

I'm not focused on being able to create a league. I would enjoy playing with, say, the 92-93 Pens. But I really want a current game with a wide variety of playing options.
erikthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #50
mm7607
All Star Reserve

I wont buy it if it doesn't have a fictional mode. That's the main selling point for me with OOTP. I don't have any interest in playing the game with real teams and players.

Earlier in a different post I said I would buy it but now I better wait for the complete feature list.
mm7607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #51
geckon
Hall Of Famer

In a case that you haven't read this whole thread please reconsider your attitude. The game will allow you to have fictional league very probably. Maybe it will not have a wizard to create it but you will be able to edit any league and make it fictional.

Anyway... If you wait for the feature list you will know exactly if it meets your expectations. In the case it won't meet them entirely please consider buying the game anyway to support it. Support will be crucial to get next versions and the game will get better and better.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #52
tran
Minors (Single A)

"Or I Won't But It"

It's their first game. Stop making threats. I'd love a fully online-league mode, where you could do your draft with 30 GMS right in the game... Live.

But I'm going to support this either way... because this is a start

If by version 2 or 3, they don't start giving me all the features I want, I may stop buying it.

But for now, it's time for people to just support this project.
tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #53
scuffleball
Major Leagues

In terms of a first release, I've been impressed with the feature list, to be honest. And it sounds like they've wisely laid the foundation for future features to be added quickly and easily.

I urge everyone to support this game when it's released. Our support = they get to keep making this game better and better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tran View Post
"Or I Won't But It"

It's their first game. Stop making threats. I'd love a fully online-league mode, where you could do your draft with 30 GMS right in the game... Live.

If by version 2 or 3, they don't start giving me all the features I want, I may stop buying it.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #54
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Exactly what I think. Some things I would like aren't there, but I can understand it's a first version. If I support the game it could have what I want in the future, if I don't it won't happen. If the game sales numbers are low the project will stop.
AESP_pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #55
Tekneek
Major Leagues

I'll wait for a chance to play with a demo. I'm certain to not do a sight unseen pre-order without being completely blown away by the promised features.

I didn't buy the first SI NHL Eastside Hockey Manager, as it seriously underwhelmed. I did buy the other releases of it, though.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #56
Ryan S
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I think that adding customizable fictional leagues is very important for online leagues, and if the game is a decent platform for online leagues, you will be able to sell a stack of games each year even if the players don't have any interest in the single player.

Half my OOTP league has no interest in the game beyond our league, yet we are still dropping over a combined $1000 per version on getting the latest software.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #57
RoPa
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by AESP_pres View Post

I don't play fictional, but being a Rookie League coach using the ML 2012 rooster is pretty much fictional...
I prefer the ML 2012 chicken!
RoPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #58
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
"Or I Won't But It"

Yes, i agree with you, but it's certainly his prerogative to voice his opinion and if he doesn't want to support the game we certainly can't blame him. You simply can't ask people to buy the game because of the potential it has. I wish you could but that's not how it works. If he doens't want to purchase the game until there is a full fictional mode then so be it. I'm sure he's not the only one thinking that way.

Sebastian knows how important it is for some people and he has hinted on a changed plans regarding this mode. The specifics are still unknown but i have faith in him, this game and his vision. Let's just all wait and see

Last edited by dave1927p; 01-27-2013 at 12:12 AM. Reason: I'm awesome
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #59
BradC
All Star Starter

I run the Facebook and Twitter accounts. We've amassed nearly 1,000 Twitter followers and over 1,600 Facebook fans without really pushing hard, which is amazing. As a result of that, though, we get constant "When is the game coming out?" questions. I've been doing my best to answer them without bugging the guys in Germany too much, since I don't want to pull them away from their work. (I should also point out that I'm in northern CA, so I can't just pop by someone's office and ask a quick question.)

I admit I haven't been on the forums a lot, but maybe I should spend more time here. When I post info on Twitter and/or Facebook that hasn't been posted here, I don't mean to ignore the forum folks. Honestly, I tend to assume the forum folks have more current info, since the devs are more likely to make comments here than on FB and Twitter.

To be fair, though, in the tweet linked to below, I said: "We're currently looking at an early 2013 release date. Hopefully sometime in January. Thanks." That's not the same as saying it will definitely come out in January.

I try to stay in sync with the guys in Germany, but like I said, I try not to bug them too much, and whenever I ask about release plans, I'm referred back to whatever the last internal comment from them was. Basically, they're not going to send me new info about release plans until they're ready to, so I try to deal with the "When is the game coming out?" questions as best I can. I do know more about the release plans than what has been published in public, but there's no point in me saying anything when the situation continues to evolve. It's best for me to make a definitive statement when there is one to make.

If anyone has feedback on how I'm handling the Facebook and/or Twitter accounts, please feel free to PM me. I honestly don't mind hearing your thoughts, even if you want to tell me I'm doing a sucky job. No one wants to hear that, of course, but I have a thick skin, so you won't offend me. However, if you do tell me I'm doing a bad job, please tell me why you feel that way, so I can improve how I'm handling things.

I'm also happy to hear any other thoughts or comments you might have. I don't mind feedback at all.

Thanks.

- Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibalduk View Post
To be honest, I'd wait until you hear details from Sebastian or Malte on this front (and on all other aspects of the game). I think this has been expressed by others before, but I don't attach much value to whoever runs those Twitter and Facebook feeds. All of the important announcements about the game have been posted on these forums (albeit I think the feature list was posted on Twitter slightly earlier than here - but nonetheless it was posted here on the forums).

He's been posting a very generic "more announcements will be coming soon" ever since the previous feature list was released.

He posted in the middle of last month that the game would be released in January. But surely by that time they would have had a very good idea of whether it would be released in the following month... Seems to me his information was based on a very out of date post by Sebastian.

What I'm trying to say is, let's wait to see what Sebastian and Malte have to say before jumping to conclusions. I have no interest in a fictional mode, but I'd hate to see people get upset by a post that is semi-official at best...
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #60
scuffleball
Major Leagues

Appreciate the work you do. I have to say you've handled the (expected) "When's it coming out?" delude with grace and professionalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
I run the Facebook and Twitter accounts. We've amassed nearly 1,000 Twitter followers and over 1,600 Facebook fans without really pushing hard, which is amazing. As a result of that, though, we get constant "When is the game coming out?" questions. I've been doing my best to answer them without bugging the guys in Germany too much, since I don't want to pull them away from their work. (I should also point out that I'm in northern CA, so I can't just pop by someone's office and ask a quick question.)

I admit I haven't been on the forums a lot, but maybe I should spend more time here. When I post info on Twitter and/or Facebook that hasn't been posted here, I don't mean to ignore the forum folks. Honestly, I tend to assume the forum folks have more current info, since the devs are more likely to make comments here than on FB and Twitter.

To be fair, though, in the tweet linked to below, I said: "We're currently looking at an early 2013 release date. Hopefully sometime in January. Thanks." That's not the same as saying it will definitely come out in January.

I try to stay in sync with the guys in Germany, but like I said, I try not to bug them too much, and whenever I ask about release plans, I'm referred back to whatever the last internal comment from them was. Basically, they're not going to send me new info about release plans until they're ready to, so I try to deal with the "When is the game coming out?" questions as best I can. I do know more about the release plans than what has been published in public, but there's no point in me saying anything when the situation continues to evolve. It's best for me to make a definitive statement when there is one to make.

If anyone has feedback on how I'm handling the Facebook and/or Twitter accounts, please feel free to PM me. I honestly don't mind hearing your thoughts, even if you want to tell me I'm doing a sucky job. No one wants to hear that, of course, but I have a thick skin, so you won't offend me. However, if you do tell me I'm doing a bad job, please tell me why you feel that way, so I can improve how I'm handling things.

I'm also happy to hear any other thoughts or comments you might have. I don't mind feedback at all.

Thanks.

- Brad