Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #61
SerbianEagle
Minors (Single A)

What does "Period Length" and "Length Overtime" mean? I see it on the screen as 5 and 20 respectively, so it has me a little confused.

I would think those would be the other way around?
SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #62
archibalduk
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle View Post
What does "Period Length" and "Length Overtime" mean? I see it on the screen as 5 and 20 respectively, so it has me a little confused.

I would think those would be the other way around?
It's the length in minutes of a period and of OT.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #63
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibalduk View Post
It's the length in minutes of a period and of OT.
I think he's referring to the fact that Sebastian (I assume mistakenly) had the playoff period length set at 5, while the OT length was set at 20.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #64
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I think he's referring to the fact that Sebastian (I assume mistakenly) had the playoff period length set at 5, while the OT length was set at 20.
Not necessarily. The "Length Overtime" setting might be used to control how many overtime periods are played before the game is either declared a tie (controlled by the "Overtime Draw" setting) or goes to a shootout. That would mean, for example, with a 5-minute overtime period and a 20 minute overtime length, a total of four overtime periods would be played before the game either goes to a shootout or ends as a tie.

(In real life there can be ties in the playoffs. The OHL, for instance, some years back used to have a playoff system where the first team to 8 points would win the series. That would normally have meant four wins, but a team could have won the series with three wins and two ties.)

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 01-11-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #65
archibalduk
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Ah I see what you mean. I've cross-checked some of the screens in game with the data in our Editor and it is clearly a bug. I've logged it as a bug on our Project Tool. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Not necessarily. The "Length Overtime" setting might be used to control how many overtime periods are played before the game is either declared a tie (controlled by the "Overtime Draw" setting) or goes to a shootout.
No, it's just used to specify the period and OT period lengths in minutes for the playoffs.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #66
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibalduk View Post
No, it's just used to specify the period and OT period lengths in minutes for the playoffs.
Seems quite probable. But it would still be nice to have a setting which determined how many periods of overtime are played before the game is either declared a tie or goes to a shootout. There's no real reason why overtime must be limited to one period.

I also wish there was a setting to have bonus points for goals scored, similar to the NASL's old rules. That's make for some interesting scenarios I think. But the rules screen is nevertheless pretty impressive as it stands now.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #67
archibalduk
All Star Starter

Quote:
Seems quite probable. But it would still be nice to have a setting which determined how many periods of overtime are played before the game is either declared a tie or goes to a shootout. There's no real reason why overtime must be limited to one period.
I was thinking the same thing (about setting the exact number of OT periods). I'll suggest it to the devs. I guess it's one of those icing on the cake things that isn't 100% necessary for the first version, but would be neat from a fictional/customisable point of view.

I think at present, it is possible to have unlimited periods of OT. If you take a look at the original screenshot, you'll see a setting entitled "Overtime Draw". I'm not 100% sure, but I think disabling that setting and then setting the Penalty Shots to zero (this disables the penalty shoot-out) the game will allow unlimited OT periods until a winner is found (as is the case with the NHL in real life). I think the "Sudden death" setting determines whether a single goal ends OT or whether it continues until the end of the OT period (to allow the other team an opportunity to tie it up).

EDIT: I didn't notice your point about the old style of NASL scoring. That would be a neat twist. Given how OOTP has a reputation for flexibility and customisation (and FHM is no different, believe me!), hopefully this is something the devs might consider implementing at some point whether in version 1 or a later version.

Last edited by archibalduk; 01-12-2013 at 03:38 PM.
archibalduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #68
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

What will be the final standings tie-breakers? Any chance of a tie-breaker game or games? All I know is OOTP sometimes becomes a mess trying to figure out tie-breaker procedures. I had one season where Tucson played St. Louis Cardinals in a tie-breaker game and neither team made it to the playoffs. How was that possible?

Last edited by Orioles1966; 01-12-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #69
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I also wish there was a setting to have bonus points for goals scored, similar to the NASL's old rules. That's make for some interesting scenarios I think. But the rules screen is nevertheless pretty impressive as it stands now.
During the 1969-70 NHL final day of the regular season-Montreal vs Chicago(I think),one of the teams pulled their goalie during the game because one of the final standings tie-breakers was goals for and the game's final score was something like 10-3. The team fell short of making the playoffs but made for an interesting last day of the regular season.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #70
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
During the 1969-70 NHL final day of the regular season-Montreal vs Chicago(I think),one of the teams pulled their goalie during the game because one of the final standings tie-breakers was goals for and the game's final score was something like 10-3. The team fell short of making the playoffs but made for an interesting last day of the regular season.
The Canadians were down 5-2 I think, pulled their goalie and gave up 5 goals against the Blackhawks. They were tied in points and wins with the Rangers for the last playoff spot and the tie breaker was goals for. The Rangers beat the Red Wings in the afternoon 9-5 and had pulled their goalie a couple of times to try and add to their to GF total. I don't think the Rangers scored with the extra attacker either.
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #71
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster007 View Post
The Canadians were down 5-2 I think, pulled their goalie and gave up 5 goals against the Blackhawks. They were tied in points and wins with the Rangers for the last playoff spot and the tie breaker was goals for. The Rangers beat the Red Wings in the afternoon 9-5 and had pulled their goalie a couple of times to try and add to their to GF total. I don't think the Rangers scored with the extra attacker either.
I remember watching the 9-5 game. I think Montreal/Chicago was on CBC Radio.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #72
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
What will be the final standings tie-breakers? Any chance of a tie-breaker game or games? All I know is OOTP sometimes becomes a mess trying to figure out tie-breaker procedures. I had one season where Tucson played St. Louis Cardinals in a tie-breaker game and neither team made it to the playoffs. How was that possible?
I think that's possible in real life if you have a 3-way tie for 1 spot. Then I think the procedure is flip a (3-sided) coin, the 2 losers play each other, with the winner of that game playing the coin flip winner, with the winner of that making the playoffs. So in that case, the first tiebreaker game could have 2 teams, neither of which will actually make the playoffs.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #73
RoPa
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I remember watching the 9-5 game. I think Montreal/Chicago was on CBC Radio.
Yeah, it was on the CBC Sunday Night NHL Hockey radio broadcast, I remember listening to it.
RoPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #74
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Getting back to the original question-winning pct. in hockey makes no sense. The Maple Leafs could play the entire season (80 games)and not win a game ,but lose every game in OT or shootout and their winning pct. would be .500 because they got 80 out of a possible 160 points without winning a game. Something is wrong with that. I wish all hockey leagues wouls stop awarding a point for losing. No other sport does that.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #75
jayze302
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Getting back to the original question-winning pct. in hockey makes no sense. The Maple Leafs could play the entire season (80 games)and not win a game ,but lose every game in OT or shootout and their winning pct. would be .500 because they got 80 out of a possible 160 points without winning a game. Something is wrong with that. I wish all hockey leagues wouls stop awarding a point for losing. No other sport does that.
Going to a three point system makes this easier to swallow. I personally like the way Soccer awards points to teams.
jayze302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #76
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayze302 View Post
Going to a three point system makes this easier to swallow. I personally like the way Soccer awards points to teams.
Its rare in the NHL for a team to make up ground in the standings especially late in the season when teams are playing into OT and getting at least one point.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #77
jayze302
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Its rare in the NHL for a team to make up ground in the standings especially late in the season when teams are playing into OT and getting at least one point.
Totally agree. This is how my beloved Panthers won their first SE title last season. Caps made a charge and the Panthers held them off with OT and SO losses... lots of them

With that said, I still would love to see the NHL go to the 3 point system. 3 points for regulation wins, 2 points for SO/OT wins, 1 point for SO/OT losses and 0 for regulation losses.

IMO, the end of the season would be much more exciting knowing teams can make up 15 points in a week while other teams are floundering with SO losses.

ESPN did a little write up on the subject last year:
Three-point debate: Change the standings? - Cross Checks Blog - ESPN
jayze302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #78
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Getting back to the original question-winning pct. in hockey makes no sense.
Well, it depends on how one is defining winning percentage.

Quote:
I wish all hockey leagues wouls stop awarding a point for losing.
Agreed. And even if points for overtime/shootout losses are continued, I still don't want to see the OTL/SO losses separated out from losses. The Leafs last season were 35-47, that is, 35 wins and 47 losses. Listing the record as 35-37-10 makes the team's record look better than it really was.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #79
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayze302 View Post
Totally agree. This is how my beloved Panthers won their first SE title last season. Caps made a charge and the Panthers held them off with OT and SO losses... lots of them

With that said, I still would love to see the NHL go to the 3 point system. 3 points for regulation wins, 2 points for SO/OT wins, 1 point for SO/OT losses and 0 for regulation losses.

IMO, the end of the season would be much more exciting knowing teams can make up 15 points in a week while other teams are floundering with SO losses.

ESPN did a little write up on the subject last year:
Three-point debate: Change the standings? - Cross Checks Blog - ESPN
I remember a few years ago the St. Louis Blues got hot towards the middle of the season and passed everyone in the standings. Besides that,can't remember teams making leaps and jumps in the standings.

Three point wins would change that. Too many times,teams sit on the puck the last 5 minutes so they can earn a point.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #80
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, it depends on how one is defining winning percentage.

Agreed. And even if points for overtime/shootout losses are continued, I still don't want to see the OTL/SO losses separated out from losses. The Leafs last season were 35-47, that is, 35 wins and 47 losses. Listing the record as 35-37-10 makes the team's record look better than it really was.
Its not really winning pct.-its point pct. ,which is a bigger joke.

Why can't the standings look like this W-50 L-30(15) Pts 115? 15 would be the total of OT/shootout loses. A loss is a loss unless its the NHL. Every 2 OT/Losses equals one win.