Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

The Standings?

I remember the day when you had W-L-T-PTs-GF-GA. Nowadays you get a point if you show up for a game. How many different variations will we have of the Standings?
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
phantompenguin
Minors (Single A)

Will changing the point system be possible?

I really want to go with a 3-2-1-0 system with 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for an OT/SO win, 1 point for an OT/SO loss, and 0 points for a regulation loss.
phantompenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompenguin View Post
Will changing the point system be possible?

I really want to go with a 3-2-1-0 system with 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for an OT/SO win, 1 point for an OT/SO loss, and 0 points for a regulation loss.
Thats how I would go-only if there must be the 1 point for OT/SO loss.

I never understood why the NHL loves the three point overtime game. Makes it next too impossible for teams to gain in the standings late in the season because teams go into defensive shells and actually want to play overtime instead of trying too win in regulation. If the NHL gave 3 points for regulation win-it would change the game drastically.

Last edited by Orioles1966; 01-07-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Maybe I should make a screenshot of one of the rule screens.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Especially the rule that forbids the Toronto Maple Leafs from having Stanley Cup Victory parades.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
Especially the rule that forbids the Toronto Maple Leafs from having Stanley Cup Victory parades.
That's not a rule but a physical law of the universe.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
That's not a rule but a physical law of the universe.
When the NHL came up with the one point for an OT loss or Shootout loss (which they stole from the AHL)they had the Maple Leafs in mind. Still hasn't helped them too make the playoffs.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompenguin View Post
I never understand why a team should be rewarded for losing. I'd assign points this way: 3 points for a regulation win; 2 points for an overtime win; and 1 point for a shootout win. Losing gets a club 0 points no matter if it lost in regulation, overtime,or the shootout.

If you really wanted to emphasize scoring and offence, a bonus point system for goals scored during a game similar to what the old NASL used to use might be worth considering.

Quote:
If the NHL gave 3 points for regulation win-it would change the game drastically.
Much the same was said when soccer (football elsewhere in the world) changed from two points for a win to three points for a win. There didn't end up being much difference in play.

Quote:
Harold Ballard had it figured out decades ago: you can pretty much throw any turkey onto the ice and Toronto hockey fans will pay money to watch it. Sure, they may complain a lot about it, but in the end they keep ponying up their dough.

The best thing that ever happened to the Maple Leafs franchise from a business point of view was the salary cap: it immediately boosted the club's profits by a considerable amount since expenses were artificially constrained. Is it just coincidence that in the seven years the salary cap has been in place the Leafs have missed the playoffs every year? I'm not so sure.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

The reason they award a point for losing in OT or shootout is too keep the crappy teams(see Toronto Maple Leafs) in the playoff hunt. Toronto would be eliminated from the playoffs in January every season if it weren't for that gift point.

Last edited by Orioles1966; 01-07-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The reason they award a point for losing in OT or shootout is too keep the crappy teams(see Toronto Maple Leafs) in the playoff hunt. Toronto would be eliminated from the playoffs in January every season if it weren't for that gift point.
The easier way is to just expand the playoffs. (That may well also help the less well off clubs since playoff money is a big part of the NHL's revenue.) There's nothing magical about the sixteen team figure that's been in use since 1979-80.

Really, as it stands now the NHL is on the low side, historically speaking, in terms of the percentage of teams qualifying for the post-season. The "original six" years saw four out of the six clubs making the playoffs—67%. That'd translate into 20 out of the current 30 teams. Heck, from the 1979-80 through 1990-91 seasons it was 16 out of 21 teams making the playoffs—76%. That'd translate into 22-23 teams out of the current 30.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the playoffs expanded at some point during the next couple of years. (The NHL has traditionally always led the 'big four' sports leagues when it comes to percentage of clubs qualifying for the post-season.)
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

A screenshot of the rule screen would be great!

Also seeing as how this is titled Standings i will ask this here. Will we be able to view the standings in conferences by default as opposed to division? I really dislike how ootp forces you to view by divisions all the time. It would be nice it the user had a setting to change the default view so it would save us a click each time we go to the standings.

Last edited by dave1927p; 01-07-2013 at 09:36 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #12
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

The more screens the better!!!!
tcblcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #13
Djungelurban
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I suggest we have a topic called "The Daily Screenshot"... With a new screenshot... Daily...
Djungelurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #14
geckon
Hall Of Famer

I'd love to see as many screenshots as possible but we have to let developers work too if we want to see the game released.
geckon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #15
jayze302
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
My beloved Panthers lost their way to a Division Title this way last year
jayze302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #16
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

It is one of the league-edit screens (the one with the points).

I had to remove the Upper Area because I used archibalduk's great logo pack, it's 2:30 AM here in Germany and I had no desire to start a new game with fictional logos for the screenshot.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #17
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

HAHA! Talk about realism, with Leaf clause disabled by default.

Is free agency eligibility age / years of service editable?

Finally are we able to change when teams lose the rights to prospects? I would like to change that the NHL teams keeps rights to all european players drafted until the team chooses to release the rights (similar to how it used to be). I want to keep my russian players in the KHL until they around age of 24 then sign them. I really hope this will be possible.

Last edited by dave1927p; 01-08-2013 at 09:00 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #18
Empach
Minors (Double A)

Having never played OOTP I am very impressed.

And there's seriously a Toronto clause?
Empach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #19
geckon
Hall Of Famer

LOL Toronto clause

What league uses such playoff rules and has Toronto unable to win at the same time?
geckon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #20
CeeBee
Minors (Double A)

Talking

OMG!!!!! I can get rid of the *&@* shootout even Sweeeeet!
CeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote