Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #81
YZG

Here we go -- a brand new Chinese set (1000 + 140). Chinese given names are as easy to gather as sand grains on a beach. Technically, any combination of characters that pleases the parents and is not offensive can be used as a name. This is very good, since China doesn't seem to publish much statistics about its citizens' names. The only challenging part for this project is to ensure that the combination is not considered feminine. Reaching 1000 was almost effortless. Family names are not very numerous, but those 140 ones do cover close to 90% of the Chinese population! Perhaps even more, since many surnames transliterate to the same thing. For instance, 黎, 李, 理, 里, 郦/酈, 栗, 厉/厲, and 利 are all different surnames which all transliterate to "Li" (I left out intonation accents for simplicity sake, I may include them in a future release if there's an interest).

I built my Korean and Chinese sets according to the family name / given name pattern. As such, the file "Chinese LN" (Where LN should stand for last names) contains given names, whereas "Chinese FN" (FN for first names) contains family names. If you guys prefer to uniformly apply the given name/family name format, please switch the sets accordingly.

There's also a Dutch set (593 + 2555). Data was simply taken from the seemingly reliable naamkunde.net. I simply removed the foreign names.

My next targets will be Kazakh and "Central Asian" (I definitely don't mind taking on those sets from places no one around here hails from).

- YZG
Attached Files
File Type: csv Chinese FN.csv (1.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: csv Chinese LN.csv (13.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: csv Dutch FN.csv (8.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: csv Dutch LN.csv (44.4 KB, 58 views)
YZG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #82
Neasag
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
I've completed the Irish and Scottish names and have sent them to Grindline for double-checking. Once he's okay'ed them, I'll put them into a text file using the correct format.

I have frequency figures from the 2011 census for first names for both countries. There aren't any comprehensive frequency figures for surnames, so they'll each need to be set to '1' like the English surnames.
Have you considered doing Welsh names? There are a few Welshmen scattered around the EIHL if I'm not mistaken. Surnames would be pretty easy to do, seeing as there are about three in total.

Last edited by Neasag; 01-12-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Neasag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #83
grindline
Minors (Single A)

There wad not a Welsh set planned but I have included a few names like Gethin in the English set.
grindline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #84
archibalduk
All Star Starter

Jeff - Please find attached name data for Ireland and Scotland. There is frequency data (based on a 2011 census) included for the Irish and Scottish forenames but not for the surnames.

I did a bit of research into the use of Mc and Mac in Scotland. It seems there is no difference - it means the same thing ("son of") and they're entirely interchangeable. According to the top 100 Scottish surnames (from an older 2001 census), 1 in 3 of Mc/Mac surnames were Mac and 2 in 3 were Mc. Therefore I have adjusted the Mc and Mac surnames so that they broadly reflect this ratio (although I have ensured that the most common Mc and Mac variants are included with their most commonly associated prefix).

The Mc/Mac names account for a quarter of the 1,388 Scottish surnames in the csv, which seems a fairly reasonable proportion.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 4 scottish AND 5 irish.zip (11.3 KB, 39 views)
Old 01-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #85
grindline
Minors (Single A)

I have finished the English names. I don't know how to give them to Sebastian etc. so I don't know if this is the best place to post them.

JeffR - I'm assuming you would be the man to pass these to.
Attached Files
File Type: csv english first.csv (6.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: csv english last.csv (40.7 KB, 47 views)
grindline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:28 AM   #86
Wealthyfriends
Bat Boy

This thread reminds me of the old Wayne Gretzky Hockey/Hockey League Simulator generator. My favourite generated name was Walt Podrobny!
Wealthyfriends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #87
JeffR
FHM Producer

I just wanted to thank everybody who's contributed name lists so far. The naming stuff is on my to-do list for next week, so I'll have a little more information about how things are shaping up in this area at that point, and possibly a few more requests for help.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #88
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
I just wanted to thank everybody who's contributed name lists so far. The naming stuff is on my to-do list for next week, so I'll have a little more information about how things are shaping up in this area at that point, and possibly a few more requests for help.
If there is anything I can help with just please let me know.
geckon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #89
YZG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
This is probably my favourite area of data editing, you can count me in to contribute some more as needed.

Last edited by YZG; 02-02-2013 at 08:47 AM.
YZG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #90
JeffR
FHM Producer

Just putting a pointer in this thread to a name file request thread I posted in the beta forums: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ame-files.html
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote