Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Buying FHM 13?
Take my money NOW! I'd pre-order it if possible! Guaranteed buyer! 259 76.63%
Most likely buying. Maybe not immediately, but I'll likely purchase it. 66 19.53%
Undecided. I'll wait to read reviews on the game first. 12 3.55%
No, not really interested. 1 0.30%
Voters: 338. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #41
Garethw87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockheart View Post
For me, since I heard this was announced, I've been waiting with my credit card in hand waiting for the chance to order or pre-order this game. I seriously find it hard to wait any longer. I'm hoping for a January release!
Yes!
Old 12-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #42
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

thought it was strange that someone voted not interested. Seeing as how this is the FHM forum if they were not interested they wouldn't bother being here. haha Then i clicked and saw who did it! Got a nice laugh.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #43
Garethw87

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
thought it was strange that someone voted not interested. Seeing as how this is the FHM forum if they were not interested they wouldn't bother being here. haha Then i clicked and saw who did it! Got a nice laugh.
Hahaha!! I was thinking the same thing 'why come here to vote not interested'! He should still buy one, and donate it to one of the forum members at random I think as a nice gift He is Santa Sebastian afterall!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #44
erikthered
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElQuapo View Post
I really need international competitions to be really interested. But I might buy it anyway in order to support further developement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibalduk View Post
I totally agree.

I think it is worth purchasing simply for this reason, regardless of whether your most-wanted features are there or not. EHM ceased development due to a lack of sales. If we want to see FHM continue development (and therefore increase the chance of seeing in version 2 those most-wanted features which don't make it into version 1) then the best thing we can do is purchase the game and show our support.
I think I'm more in-line with these two guys. I really, really want this game to succeed and become a viable franchise. I really want to want FHM.

My dilemma is this:

It's not that I want an EHM clone. We all know it had it's drawbacks. But in order for me to drop $30-50 on this game, I'd want to know that I'm going to get a game with most of the competition and gameplay features that EHM 07 contains. (I'm not too concerned about fictional league support, and historical leagues sound cool, but I'd be okay without that, but international play is something that's kind of vital to me. Additionally, I'd like to see some kind of visual game engine, even if it's just dots with numbers. I'd also like to see some licensing down the line, but that's not a deal-breaker to me.) With as much add-on support as there still is for EHM and my budget concerns, I'd have a hard time justifying in my mind purchasing a game with fewer features, unless it was available at a rather low price. I'd almost consider waiting for a future version that has features closer to what I want.

However, I also know that if the first couple of versions don't get support, the chances of future versions with a wide range of features are slim. That's the reason I created the "Franchise Hockey Manager" Thread over at thebreakaway.net, and I'll most likely spread the word to friends and family.

In the end, I'll probably buy it, but I want to know for sure that the money I invest now in the first version for the sake of future versions will be not be wasted.
erikthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #45
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthered View Post
I think I'm more in-line with these two guys. I really, really want this game to succeed and become a viable franchise. I really want to want FHM.

My dilemma is this:

It's not that I want an EHM clone. We all know it had it's drawbacks. But in order for me to drop $30-50 on this game, I'd want to know that I'm going to get a game with most of the competition and gameplay features that EHM 07 contains. (I'm not too concerned about fictional league support, and historical leagues sound cool, but I'd be okay without that, but international play is something that's kind of vital to me. Additionally, I'd like to see some kind of visual game engine, even if it's just dots with numbers. I'd also like to see some licensing down the line, but that's not a deal-breaker to me.) With as much add-on support as there still is for EHM and my budget concerns, I'd have a hard time justifying in my mind purchasing a game with fewer features, unless it was available at a rather low price. I'd almost consider waiting for a future version that has features closer to what I want.

However, I also know that if the first couple of versions don't get support, the chances of future versions with a wide range of features are slim. That's the reason I created the "Franchise Hockey Manager" Thread over at thebreakaway.net, and I'll most likely spread the word to friends and family.

In the end, I'll probably buy it, but I want to know for sure that the money I invest now in the first version for the sake of future versions will be not be wasted.
From what I've read,sounds like most people want Fictional Leagues more than anything else. I would be happy with that but if everything is editable then any league could become a fictional league.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #46
Garethw87

Quote:

My dilemma is this:

I agree that international competitions should be in the game. I really want them in OOTP, but I understand that International Baseball isn't all that 'important'. Where as in hockey, especially to us Europeans, it's a big deal!

BUT if we don't accept that this is the very first version and it will be missing some things we want.. we'll never get a new game to carry on what EHM has made. So if you don't buy it.. thats ok, your and whoever else choice who dont but I'm like the rest of us. I want the 'new EHM' days, where we have a good, updated hockey sim that we can play and play for years to come. If I decide.. 'oh I'm not buying this new game because it doesn't have the Asian hockey league' then I'll never have a new hockey game to play!

I'm not complaining directly at you or anything Erik, just my views that - we buy it, accept some missing things - they make money and update it better and better. Take alot at the freeware EHM and think how the hell did we deal with that
Old 12-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #47
submasterchief
Minors (Single A)

I would buy now....
I never played EHM, but have seen online that many liked it.
I want a hockey game that has career mode. I have played OOTP and if I can get in on the ground floor of this one it will be really cool!!!!!

They will have my support for many versions..... let's drop the puck!
submasterchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #48
maxkeitt
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Shut up and take my money!
maxkeitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #49
erikthered
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
I agree that international competitions should be in the game. I really want them in OOTP, but I understand that International Baseball isn't all that 'important'. Where as in hockey, especially to us Europeans, it's a big deal!

BUT if we don't accept that this is the very first version and it will be missing some things we want.. we'll never get a new game to carry on what EHM has made. So if you don't buy it.. thats ok, your and whoever else choice who dont but I'm like the rest of us. I want the 'new EHM' days, where we have a good, updated hockey sim that we can play and play for years to come. If I decide.. 'oh I'm not buying this new game because it doesn't have the Asian hockey league' then I'll never have a new hockey game to play!

I'm not complaining directly at you or anything Erik, just my views that - we buy it, accept some missing things - they make money and update it better and better. Take alot at the freeware EHM and think how the hell did we deal with that
Except that:

A) As you said yourself, international tournament play is a big deal in the hockey world. Whether it's the Olympics or the World Championships or Junior World Championships or for those who enjoy the historical game, the Canada Cup and World Cup of Hockey, it's something that's important in the hockey world, both in North America and abroad. Heck, the "Miracle on Ice" is routinely chosen as one of the--if not the--greatest moments in American sports history, despite the fact that in America, hockey usually falls in 4th or 5th place among major sports.

B) Freeware EHM was free. People played it and at some point, it must have crossed Riz's mind that it could be sold after some improvements were made. Gameplay was improved and it was sold. Did it sell as much as we would have liked? Apparently not. Had it, we would still have new releases the way Football Manager is still being released. But if this first version is going to be sold at a cost, and if those sales determine the future, it's important to make sure you have a product that will separate the customers from their money now and will AGAIN in the future.

C) Everyone is going to have things they wish for in any game, but there are some things that, if they are missing, will turn people off. For some people it'll be the lack of tournaments. For some here, it seems to be the lack of fictional league support. For others, it may be that their home nation doesn't have all the leagues there. For some players, it may be that the game doesn't include a visual match engine, etc., etc. The point is that it may actually hurt the game in the long run if early releases don't hook customers with at least a good amount of the features they've come to expect from other sport sim or direct play (EA-type) games. I know that right now there aren't any really significant competitors for FHM, but that doesn't mean that customers have to settle for something missing things they want.

I guess when it comes down to it, what I'm saying is that I think it'd be better for not only the first version, but also the future of the franchise if they delayed the release and added some more of the major features. I've waited five years for a new hockey sim game. I don't mind--and I think others would agree--waiting another 5-6 months+ if it's going to include international play and maybe a few more detailed features (like fictional play or other things I mentioned in 'C'). At that point, I'd be 100% guaranteed to buy the game, and I'd be more than happy to pay $50 for that.
erikthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #50
tran
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibalduk View Post
I totally agree.

I think it is worth purchasing simply for this reason, regardless of whether your most-wanted features are there or not. EHM ceased development due to a lack of sales. If we want to see FHM continue development (and therefore increase the chance of seeing in version 2 those most-wanted features which don't make it into version 1) then the best thing we can do is purchase the game and show our support.
Agreed.
Waited a long time since EHM went away. Pinned my hopes on Wolverine Studios and Action PC, but they delivered something really not very EHMish.

I'll buy for sure.
It's not a question of if.
tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:28 PM   #51
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Except that:

A) As you said yourself, international tournament play is a big deal in the hockey world. Whether it's the Olympics or the World Championships or Junior World Championships or for those who enjoy the historical game, the Canada Cup and World Cup of Hockey, it's something that's important in the hockey world, both in North America and abroad. Heck, the "Miracle on Ice" is routinely chosen as one of the--if not the--greatest moments in American sports history, despite the fact that in America, hockey usually falls in 4th or 5th place among major sports.

B) Freeware EHM was free. People played it and at some point, it must have crossed Riz's mind that it could be sold after some improvements were made. Gameplay was improved and it was sold. Did it sell as much as we would have liked? Apparently not. Had it, we would still have new releases the way Football Manager is still being released. But if this first version is going to be sold at a cost, and if those sales determine the future, it's important to make sure you have a product that will separate the customers from their money now and will AGAIN in the future.

C) Everyone is going to have things they wish for in any game, but there are some things that, if they are missing, will turn people off. For some people it'll be the lack of tournaments. For some here, it seems to be the lack of fictional league support. For others, it may be that their home nation doesn't have all the leagues there. For some players, it may be that the game doesn't include a visual match engine, etc., etc. The point is that it may actually hurt the game in the long run if early releases don't hook customers with at least a good amount of the features they've come to expect from other sport sim or direct play (EA-type) games. I know that right now there aren't any really significant competitors for FHM, but that doesn't mean that customers have to settle for something missing things they want.

I guess when it comes down to it, what I'm saying is that I think it'd be better for not only the first version, but also the future of the franchise if they delayed the release and added some more of the major features. I've waited five years for a new hockey sim game. I don't mind--and I think others would agree--waiting another 5-6 months+ if it's going to include international play and maybe a few more detailed features (like fictional play or other things I mentioned in 'C'). At that point, I'd be 100% guaranteed to buy the game, and I'd be more than happy to pay $50 for that.
As far as I am concerned I can live without international hockey and 2D engine in the first version. Fictional leagues would be fine as a lot of people seem to like it and I admit that I could use them too. But I can definitely live without it as well. I can even wait for the 2D engine until the third version or later.
Of course you can say that there are people who won't buy it without the 2D match engine. And you can say that there are people who won't buy it without feature "XYZ". But then the game won't ever be released. I vote (of course it's up to developers so my vote doesn't have any impact) for releasing quite soon with some commonly agreed (even smaller if needed) set of features.
But of course don't rush it! Nobody wants buggy game with half the features not working.

Maybe too difficult post for this advanced hour. Bottom line: Devs, please release (y)our game when you feel it's ready but don't delay it needlessly for features that are not crucial.

I quite liked the idea (that someone mentioned on forums) of pre-order connected to beta-testing. So early adopters would get the game soon and could help you with testing while those who will rather wait will get the game ready and more polished.
geckon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #52
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckon View Post
As far as I am concerned I can live without international hockey and 2D engine in the first version. Fictional leagues would be fine as a lot of people seem to like it and I admit that I could use them too. But I can definitely live without it as well. I can even wait for the 2D engine until the third version or later .
I really have no need for a 2d engine at all. I'm not one to sit back and watch it anyways. But international hockey is a big thing, certainly not enough for me to not buy the game if it's not included but i'd be lieing if i said i wouldn't be disappointed if it wasn't. At the same time i do understand that not everything can be added in the first version so i'd live with it without complaining (too much)
Old 12-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #53
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
I really have no need for a 2d engine at all. I'm not one to sit back and watch it anyways. But international hockey is a big thing, certainly not enough for me to not buy the game if it's not included but i'd be lieing if i said i wouldn't be disappointed if it wasn't. At the same time i do understand that not everything can be added in the first version so i'd live with it without complaining (too much)
My feelings about 2D engine are the same or at least similar as yours but there are people who like it. As for the international hockey I agree that it's an important part of hockey and would be shame to not have it at all but for the first version I can be without it (if needed).
Old 12-30-2012, 05:44 AM   #54
no way
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
My feelings about 2D engine are the same or at least similar as yours but there are people who like it. As for the international hockey I agree that it's an important part of hockey and would be shame to not have it at all but for the first version I can be without it (if needed).
Yep for us europeans it is big deal, but like you, I can wait for it till some next release. I just can't wait till I see the game, it's been too long without something new.
no way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #55
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by no way View Post
Yep for us europeans it is big deal, but like you, I can wait for it till some next release. I just can't wait till I see the game, it's been too long without something new.
I am from Europe too ;-)
Old 12-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #56
no way
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
I am from Europe too ;-)
Yep, I can see it ;-) My only hope is, that I'll be able to play for Plzeň and finaly win playoff
no way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #57
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by no way View Post
Yep, I can see it ;-) My only hope is, that I'll be able to play for Plzeň and finaly win playoff
The devs hasn't confirmed Extraliga to be among playable leagues yet and hard to say whether they will. But you will be able to make the league playable for yourself. The question is whether there will be real players or not. I offered my help with researching but nobody responded (I don't blame them, it's up to them). I don't even know whether they want collect data for that league or whether they have this done.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #58
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The devs hasn't confirmed Extraliga to be among playable leagues yet and hard to say whether they will. But you will be able to make the league playable for yourself. The question is whether there will be real players or not. I offered my help with researching but nobody responded (I don't blame them, it's up to them). I don't even know whether they want collect data for that league or whether they have this done.
I just hope there will be a way too block fictional players from appearing in any league you chose. I'm not that keen on world-wide players so it would be nice to identify real from fictional players.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #59
phantompenguin
Minors (Single A)

I've been waiting far too long for a new hockey sim, I'll buy it the second it comes out and play it non-stop until the next version comes out.

International tournaments would be nice, but it's not a must for me...though as an American I really only pay attention to the Olympics. I'd be more interested in it because I want to try to build up the profile in some lesser hockey nations (turn Denmark into a power, bring Iceland into the scene, etc.).

Last edited by phantompenguin; 12-30-2012 at 12:09 PM.
phantompenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #60
drewst18
Minors (Double A)

I'll play double to have it NOW! :P

I am excited for more screens
drewst18 is offline   Reply With Quote