Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
Bobbuttons
Hall Of Famer

Waddell Vs. Mathewson

My first real historical league in version 10 has begun. I decided to have free agency from the beginning, something I don't do very often. After the 1903 season, Rube Waddell left Pittsburgh to become a free agent. He signed a nice deal with the New York Giants, giving them the most potent front end of the rotation in baseball with Waddell and Christy Mathewson.

Through mid-July of 1904 Waddell and Mathewson went back and forth for the league lead in wins before Rube was struck down with a torn rotator cuff. He was out until the middle of the next season, finishing 19-4 with a 1.70 ERA. Mathewson went on to win the Pitcher of the Year Award (30-18, 1.93). Without Waddell, the Giants lost the World Series to the Highlanders in 5 games.

In 1905, Mathewson won 27 games and when Waddell returned in late July, the Giants went on a roll and won the NL again. Rube finished 11-3 with a 1.62 ERA. With both their star pitchers in the playoff rotation, the odds were in favor of the Giants to get revenge on their rival Highlanders in a World Series rematch. Waddell was not himself, though, not winning a game. Mathewson won 2 of his 3 starts, but it wasn't enough as Waddell lost game 7 and the Giants missed a title again.

Mathewson opted for free agency following the series, and signed with the St. Louis Browns, a .500 team the previous year. Christy led them to an AL pennant while Waddell led the Giants to their third straight NL pennant, winning 33 games with an ERA of 1.97 and winning the triple crown. Both aces and former teammates would be facing each other.

Neither pitcher had their best stuff in the first game, a 9-6 Giants win. Mathewson got the win with a complete game, though he gave up 6 earned runs. Waddell gave up 7.

Three days later, they would match up again with the Browns leading 2 games to none. This game was more like it, as both pitchers were strong. Mathewson still got the better of Waddell, though, as the Giants won 4-2. Both went the distance, Mathewson giving up just 1 earned run and Waddell giving up just 2. The Browns finished it up by winning game 4 to sweep the Giants.

Will this just be the start of a great rivalry?

Gibson swings, and a fly ball to deep right field! This is gonna be a home run! Unbelievable! A home run for Gibson! And the Dodgers have won the game, 5 to 4; I don't believe what I just saw! I don't believe what I just saw!

Last edited by Bobbuttons; 07-20-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Bobbuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
plannine
All Star Reserve

In 1904, a torn rotator cuff would have been a career ending injury........

Last edited by plannine; 07-18-2009 at 07:23 PM.
plannine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
Afino
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
In 1904, a torn rotator cuff would have been a career ending injury........
Yeah, in 1907.

Rube would have pitched 2 more years with a torn rotator cuff. And that's the way it is

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
ejbucs
Minors (Single A)

this is interesting. Playing the Pirates starting from 1901 (with Free Agency also) and I was able to trade for Mathewson in 1903, so I have both as well.

Just starting the 1903 playoffs. Christy was 24-5 overall with a 1.94 ERA (19-4 with the Pirates) and Waddell was 22 -8 with a 2.38 ERA.
ejbucs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
jimbobfurley
Minors (Single A)

Good lord,
I'm just imagining John McGraw having to put up with the Rube's shenanigans, hold Mother of God !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbuttons View Post
My first real historical league in version 10 has begun. I decided to have free agency from the beginning, something I don't do very often. After the 1903 season, Rube Waddell left Pittsburgh to become a free agent. He signed a nice deal with the New York Giants, giving them the most potent front end of the rotation in baseball with Waddell and Christy Mathewson.

Through mid-July of 1904 Waddell and Mathewson went back and forth for the league lead in wins before Rube was struck down with a torn rotator cuff. He was out until the middle of the next season, finishing 19-4 with a 1.70 ERA. Mathewson went on to win the Pitcher of the Year Award (30-18, 1.93). Without Waddell, the Giants lost the World Series to the Highlanders in 5 games.

In 1905, Mathewson won 27 games and when Waddell returned in late July, the Giants went on a roll and won the NL again. Rube finished 11-3 with a 1.62 ERA. With both their star pitchers in the playoff rotation, the odds were in favor of the Giants to get revenge on their rival Highlanders in a World Series rematch. Waddell was not himself, though, not winning a game. Mathewson won 2 of his 3 starts, but it wasn't enough as Waddell lost game 7 and the Giants missed a title again.

Mathewson opted for free agency following the series, and signed with the St. Louis Browns, a .500 team the previous year. Christy led them to an AL pennant while Waddell led the Giants to their third straight NL pennant, winning 33 games with an ERA of 1.97 and winning the triple crown. Both aces and former teammates would be facing each other.

Neither pitcher had their best stuff in the first game, a 9-6 Giants win. Mathewson got the win with a complete game, though he gave up 6 earned runs. Waddell gave up 7.

Three days later, they would match up again with the Browns leading 2 games to none. This game was more like it, as both pitchers were strong. Mathewson still got the better of Waddell, though, as the Giants won 4-2. Both went the distance, Mathewson giving up just 1 earned run and Waddell giving up just 2. The Browns finished it up by winning game 4 to sweep the Giants.

Will this just be the start of a great rivalry?
jimbobfurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
EMSoccerCoach
Hall Of Famer

Very cool. In my Pasttime Baseball League, Rube Waddell went 27-7 in the inaugural season, threw 38 straight scoreless innings in the last month and then went 4-0 in the postseason. Looking forward to seeing his career play out.
EMSoccerCoach is offline   Reply With Quote