Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:09 PM   #1
groberts619
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Question about the latest update 19.7.56

When there is an update and I want to integrate "Improved Opening Day Rosters including the majority of the 2018 draft class", could I use the pre-configured "Majors" quickstart in order for changes to occur rather than creating a new game from scratch?

When I start a new game from the Majors quickstart, the rosters look different from the previous patch, but I'm not sure how different...

Last edited by groberts619; 07-03-2018 at 08:26 PM.
groberts619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

Yes the quickstart is the same.
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:59 PM   #3
JimmyZ
Minors (Single A)

To the detriment on Online Leagues

when you continue to put out patches that makes the game incompatible with the other GMs of Online Leagues, sure doesnt sit well with many of us.

Why dont you just make the patches optional before every league gets damaged to the point that the leagues just become obsolete?

Unless of course the intent is to do so.
JimmyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:32 PM   #4
CraigBShuman
Minors (Double A)

I disagree. The patches are an indication that the designers are keeping close tabs on the game and fixing problems as they arise instead of waiting until the next iteration. The only aspect of the game that is limited is that the patches don't apply to rosters in already existing games. This is an acceptable trade off.
CraigBShuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:40 PM   #5
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigBShuman View Post
I disagree. The patches are an indication that the designers are keeping close tabs on the game and fixing problems as they arise instead of waiting until the next iteration. The only aspect of the game that is limited is that the patches don't apply to rosters in already existing games. This is an acceptable trade off.

Yeah, I have to admit, I get the frustration, but this may be the first time I’ve ever heard anyone complain about a software company releasing too MANY patches.

And aren’t the patches optional already? I know I had a choice of installing or not...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2018, 03:57 PM   #6
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

1) The developers release most patches as backwards compatible. They usually do not effect online leagues. Sometimes there are changes that cannot be left out of the online league files and these uncommon patches force league to either skip patching or update.
2) None of this was a major issue before steam. Steam auto updates, unless you turn it off which seems to be beyond the grasp of some gamers. I have TES Oblivion and if I want it modded I have to disable auto update or my mods will be mangled beyond recognition.
3) Playing in online leagues since 2007 the regular patches and updates by OOTP are a welcome breath of air compared to many companies. The occasional logistical hoops I have to jump through are worth the price of admission.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:33 PM   #7
Beatles Eternally
Minors (Double A)

Apparently the OP never got the shaft from companies like EA who completely abandon games. The OOTP developers are among the best in the business and in terms of baseball sims, they are THE best, bar none.

And the patches ARE optional, they don't take that long to download and install. Surely in a 24 hour period, leagues can be on the same patch.
Beatles Eternally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:09 AM   #8
kehowey
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles Eternally View Post
Apparently the OP never got the shaft from companies like EA who completely abandon games. The OOTP developers are among the best in the business and in terms of baseball sims, they are THE best, bar none.

And the patches ARE optional, they don't take that long to download and install. Surely in a 24 hour period, leagues can be on the same patch.
Agree.
kehowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:19 AM   #9
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:

God I remember when EA was absolutely amazing.

Trying to see when they went bad. Perhaps the start was when they bought Maxis out in 1997? At least Maxis and Will Wright got to finish SimCity 3000 with out EA interfering.

He just recently announced Proxi his first game he is developing in a decade. And before that it was Sims and Spore. So probably even longer. Might be mobile only haven't really heard anything of it.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:31 AM   #10
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Just to be clear, it wasn’t the OP who was complaining about the patches...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2018, 11:39 AM   #11
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
1) The developers release most patches as backwards compatible. They usually do not effect online leagues. Sometimes there are changes that cannot be left out of the online league files and these uncommon patches force league to either skip patching or update.
2) None of this was a major issue before steam. Steam auto updates, unless you turn it off which seems to be beyond the grasp of some gamers. I have TES Oblivion and if I want it modded I have to disable auto update or my mods will be mangled beyond recognition.
3) Playing in online leagues since 2007 the regular patches and updates by OOTP are a welcome breath of air compared to many companies. The occasional logistical hoops I have to jump through are worth the price of admission.
There's basically 3 types of patches:
-Some have no impact at all on saves between versions
-Some will basically not let you "go back", so that, for example, if a commish updated to the new version, league members could not download and open a league file. However, on these ones, a league member can update to a newer version and a commish on the older version can still accept team exports
-Some updates are not compatible at all

The second case is probably the most common one in a patch, however occasionally the third case will crop up, like this time. In the future, we'll try to give a day or two warning before issuing a patch like that so that teams can plan for that. But yes, with Steam, it's very hard to prevent the updates, so generally speaking online leagues should plan to update immediately. It may need you to skip a sim, potentially, to get everyone onto the same patch. Or possibly if someone gets unlucky they might have to do their moves a couple times. But we try not to have this happen too much, and we apologize for any issues it does cause.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote