Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:08 PM   #1
clamel
All Star Starter

John Smoltz issue Detroit or Atlanta

This might be obvious to hard-core players, and so I expect a nice answer. I have a couple of questions.

I fired up a Historical Game starting in 1987. Happy to see all the minor league teams present which is a GREAT improvement.

Now looking at Atlanta Braves I see John Smoltz in Sumter Braves (A), which takes me to the qeustion.
Smoltz played in Detroit until August that year, so why don't I find him in the Tigers organization ?
I didn't check any historical lineups and trades, but if I did this will be even more strange, Smoltz should stay in Detroit until August IMHO.

With correct minor league teams and imported players from these the game finally might work with players that had an odd year outside the majors. Previously a player that missed the year you started in was consider to have retired and would not be important at a later year, when they actually did pop up in the majors again.
Now this should work 99,9% , OR ??

Haven't had time to test how Minor leagues work over the years, but fear if the game can handle the very strange changes that now and then happens in MiLB. One team switch organizations sometimes, so what happens to those players in that team.
I am afraid a big mess will be created, so put my mind at rest

Manager questions. The real managers pops up in this year for MLB teams, but what happens in the year later. Bobby Cox isn't in the game but as a retired player, so he might not get his magic mind into the Braves organization as he so succesfully did. He was GM in 1987, but in game it is a Ghost GM.
I believe if I started in 1990 Bobby Cox would have been in.

I confess I haven't played OOTP very much the last few years, but this version looks to have the making of something very nice. MiLB with correct teams, setups and real players have been close to my heart for yeras. Finally it looks to be done.

Last edited by clamel; 04-12-2016 at 01:03 PM.
clamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:38 PM   #2
hillm2ca
Minors (Triple A)

I am not completely sure how the development team decides to assign players who changed teams during the course of the season. However, it does seem to be the case that rosters are based on which players a team had at the end of the season.
I say this because in real life, John Smoltz was dealt from Detroit to Atlanta in exchange for Doyle Alexander. Alexander is a member of the 1987 Tigers in the game and I have seen similar examples elsewhere.
I guess the short answer is that players are not assigned to the team they necessarily spent more time with but rather the team they ended up with during the season.
hillm2ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:45 PM   #3
hillm2ca
Minors (Triple A)

Actually, what I said is not always true. If you start a historical franchise with the Montreal Expos in 1989, Randy Johnson is part of the starting rotation although, in real life that year, he was dealt to Seattle as part of the Mark Langston trade.
So, I guess I have no idea why players are assigned to the rosters they are.
hillm2ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:44 PM   #4
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Is supposed to use first stint.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:43 AM   #5
clamel
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
Is supposed to use first stint.

That was my thinking too, but Smoltz "signed" up with his 2nd stint that year.
Only odb file nowadays, no csv files, so I don't have a clue how to look at the actual data lines.

I would be thinking on how the historical transactions work in this case ???
If I understood them Smoltz would be traded later in 1987 to Atlanta, but he is already in the team. Guess the transaction will only be scratched.

Does even these transaction work with all those minors in the game. Doubt it !!
clamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:24 AM   #6
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamel View Post
Does even these transaction work with all those minors in the game. Doubt it !!
Real transactions do not work with real minors.