Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:21 AM   #1
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Why did I get free agents in a 1940 reserve clause league? ...and then fictionals !

I finally had a league I was ready to follow through on for the duration. Played the first season - 1940 with historical minors, ran a fantasy draft letting the AI draft my team and then made a trade or two to fill some holes. Season went great, ready for end of season First Year Draft and suddenly four of my players are free agents. I have reserve clause on, and financial system off.

So I don't know how there could be free agents, and when I look, there are dozens of players that are now free agents. Then I do something stupid, which is run a free agent draft to clean that up before the First Year Player draft, forgetting that having one draft before a scheduled one always confuses the system.

So that run, the AI has trouble distinguishing between the two drafts, and when I look at the draft pool the final nail in the coffin of the league is that the pool consists entirely of fictional players, which should also be impossible in a historical league with historical rookies, and historical minors - the latter should mean that there are all the players a league could ever want.

What happened? How could free agents develop in a reserve clause era league? Why fictional players? Anyway, along with today's new patch I need to start over anyway, but it would be nice to avoid whatever error I made that led to free agency in the first place.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:33 AM   #2
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Okay so I started over, but note that the boxes that say "prevent fictional players from reaching the majors" is shaded in (which is good if it means that it is default checked as yes, since I do not want fictional players), but also shaded in is the one that says "import rookies as free agents" and the instructions tell me that to import rookies on original rosters OR as free agents I need to uncheck the draft. But I want the draft and do NOT want free agents of any kind. So why is that shaded over and why can't I unshade or uncheck it? I do not want free agents.
I have a screenshot of the page, but I don't know how to paste it here. What do you do to upload or paste a screenshot?
Old 04-09-2016, 08:58 AM   #3
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

There was no draft in 1940. All players were free agents who could sign anywhere.
Free agents then were different than what you are thinking of.
If you want a draft then just have one.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #4
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Yeah but you can have first year player drafts even in 1871 just by setting it to have a draft. I have always had one, without any players appearing as free agents. Plus why would players on my team roster, who had played on my team in 1940 become free agents, given that the reserve clause is in force?
Old 04-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #5
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Are you 100% sure the players are fictional? Did you actually go look at each player and see if they had a "real Life Stats" tab? I ask because I thought the same thing originally when the real stats tab was empty and it turns out I only had ML level as the scope for the stats and many players only ever played in the minors. If they have a "Real Life Stats" tab on their player card, they are not a fictional player.

When using historical minors it is my experience that any players who missed your starting year IRL but subsequently played in a season after that will show up in the free agent pool. For example, I started a league in 1963, at the end of the season Phil Niekro showed up in the Free Agent pool, he played in the minors in 1961 and 1962, but missed 1963 due to Military service

Also the minor league are very volatile in that age, with teams shifting around, folding, new teams appearing. If you expecting there to never be any free agents, that isn't going to happen. There will always be players that teams get rid of or that move to different teams, minor league players back then could pretty much just go where ever they wanted in general when their contract ran out and no matter what era it is, there were always guys that teams simply said, "go home Kid, you ain't gonna make it"

I'm really interested in possibly running a online league using real historical minors, and I've been looking for a rhyme or reason why some of the players end up in the Free Agent pool and I can't figure it out. The ones that concern me are the guys who played in the minors that year, had a pretty good or very good season, their team moved and they ended up in the free agent pool with nothing in their history detailing how they got there. It would seem these players would be retained by their franchise
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino

Last edited by Painmantle; 04-09-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:45 AM   #6
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyprof View Post
I have reserve clause on, and financial system off.
How is that possible? If you uncheck the "enable financial system" box, then you don't even see the reserve clause option.

Quote:
How could free agents develop in a reserve clause era league?
There are a couple of ways, I suppose. For instance, if an unaffiliated minor-league club is disbanded, all of its players would become free agents. But that doesn't sound like what happened in your case. What sort of set-up did you have? If I understand you, you're saying that players on your 40-man roster became free agents, right? In that case, maybe the players were subject to Rule 5 free agency. Without more details, I don't think we can pinpoint the problem.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:51 AM   #7
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What do you do to upload or paste a screenshot?
Click the paperclip button at the top of the reply box (to the right of the smiley face). A pop-up window will appear, labeled "Manage Attachments." Click the first "browse" box and find the file you want to upload. Once you've found it, select it and click the "upload" button (there are file type and size restrictions - read the list in the "Manage Attachments" window for details).

Next, go back to the reply box. Place the cursor where you want to insert the graphic. Click the paperclip button again. That will now show the file name that you just uploaded. Click on the file name and it will automatically be inserted in your post.

Last edited by joefromchicago; 04-09-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:03 PM   #8
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post
I'm really interested in possibly running a online league using real historical minors, and I've been looking for a rhyme or reason why some of the players end up in the Free Agent pool and I can't figure it out. The ones that concern me are the guys who played in the minors that year, had a pretty good or very good season, their team moved and they ended up in the free agent pool with nothing in their history detailing how they got there. It would seem these players would be retained by their franchise
I believe that if a previously unaffiliated minor becomes affiliated, all of its players are released. So, for instance, if the Scranton Hush Puppies are unaffiliated in 1940, but they become a minor-league affiliate of Brooklyn in 1941, all of the players on the Scranton roster at the end of 1940 will be released as free agents.

Last edited by joefromchicago; 04-09-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:19 PM   #9
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Yes, they were all without any real stats tab, not just without stats. Thanks. I re-ran the league from the start and now in the third season it has not happened again, so whatever glitch it was it is not there now, maybe the patch corrected it. Thanks everyone who came up with suggestions.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:21 PM   #10
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Thank you. As to the reserve clause option not being there at all if you turn off the financial system, does that mean that the reserve clause itself is not in operation - which would explain why my players became free agents even in 1940, when the reserve clause historically prevented them from being so - or merely that the visual option to click on reserve clause is not seen?
Old 04-11-2016, 02:36 PM   #11
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thank you. As to the reserve clause option not being there at all if you turn off the financial system, does that mean that the reserve clause itself is not in operation - which would explain why my players became free agents even in 1940, when the reserve clause historically prevented them from being so - or merely that the visual option to click on reserve clause is not seen?
If you have financials off then the game doesn't have any financials - reserve clause or otherwise. Honestly, I don't know what happens when you turn off financials. I've never played that way.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:55 PM   #12
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Turning off financials works well with historical transactions and lineups.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:00 PM   #13
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
I believe that if a previously unaffiliated minor becomes affiliated, all of its players are released. So, for instance, if the Scranton Hush Puppies are unaffiliated in 1940, but they become a minor-league affiliate of Brooklyn in 1941, all of the players on the Scranton roster at the end of 1940 will be released as free agents.
yes, but I'm questioning now why there is nothing in the players history informing me that this is the case. I see in many players "Became a minor league free agent" But some players have nothing in their history. If a team was disbanded and this player becomes a Free Agent, we should get something to that affect in his history.

Here is an example:

This guy played for the Yankees AAA Team most of the year, Played for their AA Team Augusta at the end of the year, Augusta Team was disband and this player did not remain in the Yankees Organization, he is in the Free Agent Pool with absolutely no reference to how he got there. He should either still be in the Yankees organization or he should have something in his history detailing why he isn't
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Old 04-11-2016, 04:47 PM   #14
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And that's grossly unrealistic. Minor league teams owned their own player contracts. Many players had long minor league careers in the same town, in contrast to the up or out prospect churn of today's minors. An affiliation did not mean that all of those contracts ended, and the major league teams did not exercise day to day control of their affiliated minors. Indeed, some minor league teams had their own affiliations with lower minor league teams, something that was particularly common in the PCL. Affiliated teams were simply a source of prospects and a place to stash them while they developed their skills.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
Old 04-11-2016, 08:47 PM   #15
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post
yes, but I'm questioning now why there is nothing in the players history informing me that this is the case. I see in many players "Became a minor league free agent" But some players have nothing in their history. If a team was disbanded and this player becomes a Free Agent, we should get something to that affect in his history.
I don't disagree with that. Bear in mind, though, that this is a new feature in the game, and new features tend to take a few versions to shake out all the kinks. For instance, when storylines were first introduced, players who were injured as a result of a storyline didn't have any explanation for their injuries listed in their histories. Instead, it looked something like this: "8/31/2015: Injured (), out for six months." That, however, got fixed in a subsequent version.

Historical minors turned out to be a big project - possibly bigger than some of the developers anticipated. I'm sure this and other issues will get resolved, because that's the way OOTP has done things in the past. It may not get everything right at the beginning, but it gets everything right in the end.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:58 PM   #16
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
And that's grossly unrealistic.
And I don't disagree with that either. But then there weren't very many instances where a major-league club just went in and bought all of a minor-league club's assets, "lock, stock, and barrel." So that's not altogether realistic either. Realistically, minors should slowly develop a symbiotic relationship with the majors, taking players "on loan" and under various other guises while organized baseball tried to figure out, over the course of about three or four decades, whether having minor-league players tied to major-league clubs was a bad thing or a good thing.

Ideally, minor leagues (or, at the very least, unaffiliated minor leagues) should have their own finances, so their teams can buy, sell, and trade players with each other and with major-league clubs. OOTP isn't there yet. I'm not even sure if it's aiming in that direction. But it's a lot closer to it than it was in any previous version, so that should give us some reason for optimism.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:27 PM   #17
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

I'm as optimistic as anyone about this development, and I fully understand why we don't want the unaffiliated minors to have their own financial system. You don't want to screw up the major league experience while you're adding the minors, and a couple of hundred teams with their own finances could easily do that. I really don't want the Oakland Oaks buying 1930 Babe Ruth and taking him out of the majors, and that kind of thing would happen too often. I just think this particular design decision is an unnecessary distortion.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:43 AM   #18
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't disagree with that. Bear in mind, though, that this is a new feature in the game, and new features tend to take a few versions to shake out all the kinks. For instance, when storylines were first introduced, players who were injured as a result of a storyline didn't have any explanation for their injuries listed in their histories. Instead, it looked something like this: "8/31/2015: Injured (), out for six months." That, however, got fixed in a subsequent version.

Historical minors turned out to be a big project - possibly bigger than some of the developers anticipated. I'm sure this and other issues will get resolved, because that's the way OOTP has done things in the past. It may not get everything right at the beginning, but it gets everything right in the end.
I fully understand Historical Minors are a work in progress, that's why I'm pointing out things that need work ,I have 100% confidence that this feature will be one of the best features OOTP ever added eventually. And I can't wait for it to get better!! (But I guess I will have to)

So here's to Historical Minors!
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Old 04-13-2016, 02:27 AM   #19
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
optimism
A good thing to have. And cake.