Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 08-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
greenOak
Minors (Triple A)

SS Gold Glove Decision

Usually, I don't have much of a problem picking award winners in my leagues, but this is an interesting decision came up pertaining the 2030 AL Gold Glove Award at SS in my game. Haven't come across a situation like this before. Should a player who played just 87 games be deserving of a gold glove award? Wondering who you guys would choose here:

Player #1

87GP, 86 games started at SS, .983 fielding%, 4.01RF, +15.4 ZR, 1.106 EFF.

Player #2

138GP, 129 games started at SS, .983 fielding%, 4.20RF, +10.9 ZR, 1.046 EFF.
greenOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Player 2

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #3
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenOak View Post
Usually, I don't have much of a problem picking award winners in my leagues, but this is an interesting decision came up pertaining the 2030 AL Gold Glove Award at SS in my game. Haven't come across a situation like this before. Should a player who played just 87 games be deserving of a gold glove award? Wondering who you guys would choose here:

Player #1

Player #2

When did player 1 play his 87 games? If he played the first 87 then got injured or started injured and played the last 87 games then he is a slam dunk IMO. If he played as a platoon or sporadically because he wasn't good enough then number 2 is the man.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #4
greenOak
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
When did player 1 play his 87 games? If he played the first 87 then got injured or started injured and played the last 87 games then he is a slam dunk IMO. If he played as a platoon or sporadically because he wasn't good enough then number 2 is the man.
For everyone who wants to know: Player 1 missed around 30 games at the beginning season and then the last month and a half due to injury. So he is not a platoon player.

Last edited by greenOak; 08-06-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Shouldn't matter when he played the games. They're close enough that I'd give it to the guy with more games, but we've seen stupider voting in the past for Gold Gloves.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #6
wuttang
Minors (Double A)

GG awards IRL r generally stupid imo, often going to vets or players with better offensive #s.
But here it's close enough I'd give it to player #2.
BTW, I also think "GG 1st baseman" is one of the funniest terms in baseball
Old 08-06-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Give it to the first guy.

Sincerely,

Rafael Palmeiro
Old 08-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #8
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuttang View Post
BTW, I also think "GG 1st baseman" is one of the funniest terms in baseball
I guess you never had the privilege of watching Keith Hernandez play first base.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:42 PM   #9
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Player 1 had the superior rate stat (EFF) and the superior counting stat (ZR) that are meaningful enough to demonstrate that he was the better defensive SS. Since he missed time due to injury instead of offensive ineptitude, I think Player 1 deserves it. The difference in Zone Rating is pretty stark, in less playing time.

I understand that defensive stats in real life are far more vague, but since OOTP is a little more deterministic than real life, and it is safe to assume that the ZR measurements are not biased by human error, then this is the equivalent and choosing a positional silver slugger winner between a player with a 1050 OPS and a 900 OPS. It's not like Player 2 exactly put a full year in at the position, either, 123 games seems light for a starter in a 162 game season.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #10
kingtut313
Minors (Double A)

i wouldnt even consider player 1 because of how few games he played. player 2's GP is borderline at best as well
Old 08-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #11
jaa36
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenOak View Post

Player #1

Player #2

I'd think about it like this. The first player saved 15 runs with his glove, the second player 11. Is it better to have the 15 runs saved plus 40 games of replacement-level play, or the 11 runs saved? Depends how much you think a replacement level shortstop can provide you on defense. I think in OOTP it's pretty easy to find an average defender at SS off the scrap heap, so I would find the 15-run player more valuable and worthier of the Gold Glove.
jaa36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #12
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

If you want to replicate how GGs are given in real life, one of the big questions would be, who's the better hitter?

No, seriously.
chucksabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #13
wuttang
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
I guess you never had the privilege of watching Keith Hernandez play first base.
Sure he was great... for a 1st baseman, but would you really think the then 5th best SS wouldn't play better defense at 1st than keith?
I relate 1st base GGs to a 33yr old minor league mvp.

Last edited by wuttang; 08-06-2014 at 04:20 PM.
wuttang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #14
greenOak
Minors (Triple A)

Well it looks like enough of you are willing to give it to player #1 despite his limited season for me to justify giving him the award (he was my initial preference).
Old 08-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #15
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sure he was great... for a 1st baseman, but would you really think the then 5th best SS wouldn't play better defense at 1st than keith?
There are plenty of SS who should be playing 1B but their bats aren't good enough.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 08-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #16
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You can't even compare the two positions. The way he defended the bunt was a unique skill that doesn't translate at any other position, just like turning a double play as a shortstop has no relevance to playing first base.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:05 PM   #17
Vida Blue
Major Leagues

Old 08-10-2014, 09:59 AM   #18
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Definitely player 2. A full season of .983 is better than a half season of .983
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #19
wuttang
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
There are plenty of SS who should be playing 1B but their bats aren't good enough.
You're 100% right, but we're talking about only defense here and i say even an above average SS would play better defensively at 1st than a GG 1st baseman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
You can't even compare the two positions. The way he defended the bunt was a unique skill that doesn't translate at any other position, just like turning a double play as a shortstop has no relevance to playing first base.
And again, I say even a defensively above average SS after a short time of getting acclimated to playing 1st base, can "defend the bunt" the same if not much better than a GG 1st baseman, even KH.

Last edited by wuttang; 08-10-2014 at 02:55 PM.
wuttang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #20
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You're 100% right, but we're talking about only defense here and i say even an above average SS would play better defensively at 1st than a GG 1st baseman.
I wasn't talking about defense only, despite the thread. You cannot separate the fact that any defensive improvement realized at 1B would be lost in offense with very few exceptions. It's also very clear that many teams take less defense at SS if he hits with power. A quick look at SS by games played in 2013 shows that in the top 20 only 5 were above average by Rtot. That says to me that offense still drives the lineup or there are few very good SS.

Quote:
And again, I say even a defensively above average SS after a short time of getting acclimated to playing 1st base, can "defend the bunt" the same if not much better than a GG 1st baseman, even KH.
That may be your opinion but little evidence exists to support it. If it was clearly evident then managers would replace 1B with backup SS and/or 2B on a regular basis in close games.

RichW