Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues

Old 12-23-2001, 03:55 PM   #1
c-man
Minors (Double A)

Post dial-up?

Hello, i've been playing ootp solo for quite a while and have been toying with joining a league because i keep hearing how awesome it is. however, i'm still in the stone ages and use a dial-up. would this create a huge headache for myself/others?
c-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 04:31 PM   #2
Steve Kuffrey
Administrator

No, the game is not played "real time". It is sending in lineups and such and d/l league files, etc.
Baseball Maelstrom-Montreal Expos-2013 Tourney winner, 2014 WC Team
Sparky's League - Tampa Bay D'Rays
Epicenter Baseball League - Astros 2014
The CBL Rewind - Phillies '95
Steve Kuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 04:45 PM   #3
Killebrew
Hall Of Famer

[quote]Originally posted by c-man:
<strong>Hello, i've been playing ootp solo for quite a while and have been toying with joining a league because i keep hearing how awesome it is. however, i'm still in the stone ages and use a dial-up. would this create a huge headache for myself/others?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Only if you were commishing . Just submitting the rosters as a online GM (the lone requirement for most league's participation) is easy & fast - the file is only 5-6KB in size so connection speed should not be a concern. You will have to download a updated league file 2 or 3 times a week and that file is typically 800KB to 3MB in size.

About choosing a league: It's often a big wait to get in the best (or most popular) online leagues, and some of them are virtually impossible to get into. New leagues start up often though and even if the league does not last that long it's still a great way to learn how to figure out how to play in online leagues. Many people also play in 2 or 3 leagues at one time. I would suggest searching and "scouting" for the best under-rated leagues out there - IMO there are a lot of good ones that nobody ever pimps.

A <a href="http://www.google.com/search?q=ootp+league" target="_blank">Google Search</a>, <a href="http://www.sportplanet.com/sbb/" target="_blank">Stat Based Baseball</a>, <a href="http://www.ootplinks.com" target="_blank">ootplinks.com</a>, and <a href="http://www.angelfire.com/sd/Cyclones/Listings.html" target="_blank">The Association of Fantasy Baseball Leagues listings</a> are some places to start your search, and some of my fave online leagues are not represented on any of these sites (except google I guess ).
Killebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 05:37 PM   #4
hellfrozeover
All Star Starter

I just joined a league about a week ago, and even though the season hasn't started yet, it's already fun trying to make trades with people. I also have a dial-up connection, and downloading league files really doesn't take all that long. Maybe 10 minutes tops.

By the way, killebrew, I do believe I'm in the same online league as you are. You are part of Independent Baseball League correct?

Former Owner:
WBL Minnesota Twins
2004 - 2007 AL Central Division Champs
OOL Chicago Whales
2006, 2009 UL East Champs; 2006, 2009 United League Champs
IBA Lehigh Valley Diamonds
2006 Governor's Cup Champions
VSLB New York Yankees
2001, 2002 AL East Division Champs
ILBL Commissioner/Chicago Cubs
2002 NL Central Division Champs; 2002 National League Champs
ASBL New York Yankees
2006 AL East Division Champs

hellfrozeover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 06:01 PM   #5
Killebrew
Hall Of Famer

[quote]Originally posted by hellfrozeover:
<strong>By the way, killebrew, I do believe I'm in the same online league as you are. You are part of Independent Baseball League correct?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, I'm in the IBA which is probably what you mean, I call it IBL all the time too . That was one of the unheralded leagues I was referring to, although I guess it's "heralded" now. I don't think it is a great league (yet at least), but they are trying some interesting rule variations and are not scared of experimentation.
Killebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 06:14 PM   #6
hellfrozeover
All Star Starter

[quote] Yes, I'm in the IBA which is probably what you mean <hr></blockquote>

Yes, that's exactly what I meant, I realized it almost right after I posted that reply, but I'm too lazy to change it.

Just fyi, I'm Ed, the new GM for Lehigh Valley.
So far, it does look like it will be a good season.

Former Owner:
WBL Minnesota Twins
OOL Chicago Whales
VSLB New York Yankees
ASBL New York Yankees

Old 12-23-2001, 06:26 PM   #7
c-man
Minors (Double A)

thanks for all the advice, much appreciated. i was worried that the league file would be really cumbersome but i think i can handle files that size. (I do the old--start downloading, go eat dinner, take a shower, clean my room and come back--bam!)

while we're on the topic, what separates a great league from the others? (what should one look for?) dedicated gm's? active commish?

i'm not too concerned about being in the best league around (especially for my first--intimidation looms large ), but i can imagine that the level of gm participation really makes a difference. is that what i'm looking for?

as always, i really appreciate everyone's input!
c-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 06:31 PM   #8
hellfrozeover
All Star Starter

Again, I've only had about a week of experienc with it, but I would have to say that good GM participation is one of the most important things in the game. Because that is what the whole online game is based on. If you have people who don't want to do this and neglect their teams it makes it less fun for all the other dedicated GM's. Killebrew would know more than me about this.

Former Owner:
WBL Minnesota Twins
OOL Chicago Whales
VSLB New York Yankees
ASBL New York Yankees

Old 12-23-2001, 06:47 PM   #9
Specs
All Star Starter

I joined quite a few leagues at first, but I couldn't handle all of them, so now I just am in the CDL. Try out one at first...

Quote:
Originally posted by Markus Heinsohn
Specs, your avatar made my day... damn human emotion chip
Specs is offline   Reply With Quote