Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Rosters, Photos, and Quick-Starts

Old 11-11-2023, 09:25 PM   #3161
Cusick
Hall Of Famer

John "Tubby" Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemaodyssey View Post
Barnes is pictured in the 8/23/1935 edition of The St. Louis Argus. I had no picture of him previously.
Thank you, cinemaodyssey, for all your recent contributions. There was a photo of Tubby Barnes previously posted on this thread, but it did not show his face as well as the one you just contributed. The earlier photo depicted him in a Cleveland Tate Stars uniform. It may be viewed on the following page:

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...199642&page=38
Cusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 03:37 PM   #3162
Cusick
Hall Of Famer

Allen Page

Allen Page was an officer with the New Orleans Creoles and the vice president/treasurer of the Negro Southern League during the 1945-50 period. This photo is courtesy of his son, Rodney Page, and appeared on the following website -- homeplatedontmove.wordpress.com. A photo of Allen Page was previously posted on this thread on page 55, but this photo is an improvement.
Attached Images
Old 12-02-2023, 03:50 PM   #3163
Penale52
All Star Reserve

Leroy Haynes

According to Seamheads, Leroy Haynes was born in 1914 in Kentucky and attended Morehouse College. He was profiled in multiple newspapers in the 1970s and 1980s detailing his career post World War II as the operator of a soul restaurant in Paris. This article from 1984 includes his 1914 birthdate and Kentucky birthplace. I found a clip from American Story with Bob Dotson profiling Haynes, and at the 1:43 mark Dotson says Haynes played in the Negro leagues.

He was shown many times as an older man, but I found a photo of him on the Morehouse football team in the Nov. 22, 1935 issue of the St. Louis Argus. Many more photos of him can be found online, including this site.

I haven't found an obituary for him, but this June 29, 1986 Baltimore Sun article says he died in May 1986.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Penale52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 12:41 PM   #3164
Penale52
All Star Reserve

Aubrey Grigsby

Aubrey Grigsby, who played with the Kansas City Monarchs from 1958-1959, was shown as a member of the Hastings Giants in the July 15, 1957 edition of the Hastings Daily Tribune.
Attached Images
Penale52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 01:41 PM   #3165
Pelican
Hall Of Famer

Bob Harvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusick View Post
Bob Harvey, OF, is shown in the uniform of the Houston Eagles.
Curious about this dude. In my 1944 Season sim, with the color line abolished, he was signed by the Phillies, and won the NL batting title with an average of .387. This is no doubt based on his reported average of .430 for the Newark Eagles, per Seamheads. By 1948, at the age of 30, he was done. There is no SABR bio for him, and I’m curious what the backstory might be. I play with annual recalc off, so he promises to be a productive player in MLB for many years. It seems like he may have been a victim of the failure, despite the signing of Jackie Robinson, of MLB teams to sign other worthy Negro League players. (It bothers me that many people seem to think that the problem of racism was “solved” in 1947, because a handful of black players came to the major leagues in the first few years. I have made a hobby of tracing legitimate Negro League stars who toiled in the minor leagues, in the late 1940’s and into the 1950’s, never getting a decent shot, despite tremendous stats.) A sad legacy.
Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 09:04 AM   #3166
Cusick
Hall Of Famer

Bob Harvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Curious about this dude. In my 1944 Season sim, with the color line abolished, he was signed by the Phillies, and won the NL batting title with an average of .387. This is no doubt based on his reported average of .430 for the Newark Eagles, per Seamheads. By 1948, at the age of 30, he was done. There is no SABR bio for him, and I’m curious what the backstory might be. I play with annual recalc off, so he promises to be a productive player in MLB for many years. It seems like he may have been a victim of the failure, despite the signing of Jackie Robinson, of MLB teams to sign other worthy Negro League players. (It bothers me that many people seem to think that the problem of racism was “solved” in 1947, because a handful of black players came to the major leagues in the first few years. I have made a hobby of tracing legitimate Negro League stars who toiled in the minor leagues, in the late 1940’s and into the 1950’s, never getting a decent shot, despite tremendous stats.) A sad legacy.
There are a couple of errors in what you have posited above. Seamheads only provides data through 1948, so it's misleading to say that Bob Harvey's career ended at that point. He was still playing in the Negro American League in 1951 for New Orleans. Secondly, it's not true that there is no SABR biography of Bob Harvey. His bio is at the following URL:

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/bob-harvey/
Old 12-19-2023, 06:37 PM   #3167
cinemaodyssey
All Star Starter

Rube Wiggins 1938

Here's another player I had no photo previously. Wiggins played in and around Paterson, New Jersey for many years and was pictured in the 5/24/1938 edition of the Paterson News regarding his suspension that season. He pitched in 1 game for the 1938 New York Black Yankees.
Attached Images
cinemaodyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 12:00 AM   #3168
cinemaodyssey
All Star Starter

Wyatt Turner 1939

Turner lived in and around Pittsburgh all his life so it was no surprise that the 1/25/1930 edition of the New Pittsburgh Courier pictured him on the occasion of his first marriage. He was a well known athlete and played in 1 game for the 1939 Homestead Grays as a catcher.
Attached Images
Old 02-29-2024, 01:17 AM   #3169
Ctrane
Hall Of Famer

I’m looking for any image of Oscar Jackson late 19th century early 20 century player.
Ctrane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 03:52 PM   #3170
cinemaodyssey
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrane View Post
I’m looking for any image of Oscar Jackson late 19th century early 20 century player.
I haven't found anything on him yet. He did play for awhile and was a starter on the 1897 Cuban X Giants but is sadly not pictured in the 1890 York Monarchs team photo.
Old 02-29-2024, 06:41 PM   #3171
Ctrane
Hall Of Famer

Thank you I appreciate the effort.
Ctrane is online now   Reply With Quote