Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:35 AM   #1
Hasta la vista pelota
Minors (Double A)

Challenge mode

I'm not seeing much chatter about the new Challenge mode. Maybe because, like me, it's not clear what it is. Maybe I'm the only one who does not understand it. Could maybe the developers expand on exactly how this works or how it is intended to work?
Hasta la vista pelota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:58 PM   #2
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

We're still finalizing details, but it will likely be most similar to the FHM "Path to Glory" mode or perhaps a little like an "ironman" mode, where the goal is to make it a more streamlined way to play without being able to use the editor. And because it's a bit more of a controlled game, we'll be sure to have some unique accomplishments for it.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:59 PM   #3
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
We're still finalizing details, but it will likely be most similar to the FHM "Path to Glory" mode or perhaps a little like an "ironman" mode, where the goal is to make it a more streamlined way to play without being able to use the editor. And because it's a bit more of a controlled game, we'll be sure to have some unique accomplishments for it.
Really? PtG is probably the weakest part of FHM.. That's a shame.

When I heard challenge mode, I thought it was more of taking over a team near the trade deadline who is in a playoff race, and having to make the right moves to put them into the playoffs/win the World Series..

Or taking over the 2003 Red Sox in the playoff series with the Yankees in an attempt to change history.

Those, to me, are the real challenges. That's why its fun to take over a floundering franchise in an attempt to rebuild them. Inhibiting the ability to slow down sim speed like PtG is just a waste of time. Players can do that if they choose. They don't need to be forced to.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:51 AM   #4
Hasta la vista pelota
Minors (Double A)

That's why I'm still not sure what it is.

If it's the same or very similar as Path to Glory, OK, I have an idea. But for it to be so prominently promoted in the OOTP 18 announcement, I wonder if it's not something else. Thus, the request to better explain it.

I'll buy the update regardless, but I still would like to hear more about how Challenge Mode is supposed to work or why it would be something we would be interested in.
Hasta la vista pelota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:28 AM   #5
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

The Challenge mode is meant to create somewhat an equal playing field so that season scores & achivements actually mean something. And we'll have (optional) online highscore rankings etc. so that you can compare yourself to other OOTP users. If you do not like this, simply ignore it. The whole thing is totally optional.

However, later in the year we'll reveal something which builds on the Challenge mode, and that one will be huge.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:14 AM   #6
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Speaking of "online" just to make doubly sure, that's not going anywhere right? Its such a great part of the game. I HIGHLY doubt it but thought I'd just ask and make sure.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 01-23-2017, 09:01 AM   #7
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

I'm still not getting what this is supposed to be. I've also never played FHM.

Is it like a new mode of online leagues? how is it different from regular online leagues? How customizable is it?

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:13 PM   #8
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
However, later in the year we'll reveal something which builds on the Challenge mode, and that one will be huge.
This is the second time (at least that I know of) that he's alluded to this. I am trembling with expectation. What? What?? How can I live like this?

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:02 PM   #9
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
I'm still not getting what this is supposed to be. I've also never played FHM.

Is it like a new mode of online leagues? how is it different from regular online leagues? How customizable is it?
PtG mode in FHM requires you to sim one day at a time. There is no "take a vacation" option. So you miss the playoffs, you just sit there and click through a month or two of time day by day. It also doesnt allow you to use the editor or commissioner mode. Online play was cut from FHM, hence my question above. I'm sure Markus et all wouldnt cut it from OOTP, but just making sure.

I'm not sure how must players play OOTP but aside from renaming prospects and occasionally creating a stadium for a team, I dont touch the editor very often at all.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 01-23-2017, 02:05 PM   #10
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSK View Post
PtG mode in FHM requires you to sim one day at a time. There is no "take a vacation" option. So you miss the playoffs, you just sit there and click through a month or two of time day by day. It also doesnt allow you to use the editor or commissioner mode. Online play was cut from FHM, hence my question above. I'm sure Markus et all wouldnt cut it from OOTP, but just making sure.

I'm not sure how must players play OOTP but aside from renaming prospects and occasionally creating a stadium for a team, I dont touch the editor very often at all.
Interesting. So it nothing different except you can't use the editor?

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:09 PM   #11
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
Interesting. So it nothing different except you can't use the editor?
And you cant sim weekly/monthly etc. Its just finish day and on to the next regardless of anything else.

And there is supposed to be some level of GM progression over time. Don't know how it effects your abilities. I didnt stick around FHM long enough to really figure it out.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 01-23-2017, 05:44 PM   #12
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

In FHM, the PTG mode is not day to day, it simulates until something happens (e.g. games or PM's). You can set the level of news/PM's (seperatly for Season and offeseason), so it is just not true that you have to click day by day after you are out of the playoffs. I have no idea how OOTP handles it but I wanted to correct the facts about FHM.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:06 PM   #13
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
In FHM, the PTG mode is not day to day, it simulates until something happens (e.g. games or PM's). You can set the level of news/PM's (seperatly for Season and offeseason), so it is just not true that you have to click day by day after you are out of the playoffs. I have no idea how OOTP handles it but I wanted to correct the facts about FHM.
Didnt realize it'd changed since I owned the game. Thanks for the correcting.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 01-24-2017, 12:55 AM   #14
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
This is the second time (at least that I know of) that he's alluded to this. I am trembling with expectation. What? What?? How can I live like this?
It's not like Markus to bang the hype gong at all, so for him to make a statement like that, anticipatory trembling may actually be the correct response here.

Wouldn't be something if, after all is said and done, the introduction of "Challenge Mode" turns out to be what most people remember about OOTP 18 years down the road?
Old 01-24-2017, 09:46 AM   #15
Coltrane
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
I'm hoping it's something like a H2H scenario where you and another person online can hold a fantasy draft using all MLB players and then match your teams up against each other.
Coltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:20 PM   #16
dmytron

I so hope it's not online mode. I hope it's another playing mode that makes you immerse immensely into the league and the team.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:08 PM   #17
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

my first thought in challenge mode was we start out as MGR only in the minors like Single A club and work our way up and try to succeed in the bigs and become a HOF MGR. then move on to GM and succeed there and become ownership (in know in realife it doesn't work out for ownership path like that but a silly idea)

Sounds like this is just a no way to cheat style game where everyone on same path but we have our own league to play where as we might get sameplayers as such..
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:20 AM   #18
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nster View Post
my first thought in challenge mode was we start out as MGR only in the minors like Single A club and work our way up and try to succeed in the bigs and become a HOF MGR. then move on to GM and succeed there and become ownership (in know in realife it doesn't work out for ownership path like that but a silly idea)

Sounds like this is just a no way to cheat style game where everyone on same path but we have our own league to play where as we might get sameplayers as such..
This would be interesting. I have not played career path mode in a long time because it gets boring and tedious with all of the roster changes which you have no control over. I'd like to see this mode of play improved, if that is what Challenge Mode means.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #19
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltrane View Post
I'm hoping it's something like a H2H scenario where you and another person online can hold a fantasy draft using all MLB players and then match your teams up against each other.
Yeah, like FIFA Ultimate Team does.

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #20
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Quote:
he did it again.

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote