Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
PotatoPeeler
Hall Of Famer

The New England Self Pity Machine

Is firing on all cylinders today.

I have never taken a lesson on how to talk on TV in my life.
- Tim McCarver

Guns have only two enemies; rust and liberals.

The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel.
PotatoPeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
Walkoff
Minors (Single A)

We'll be fine..

Quote:
Sheed eyes 72 wins.

The first year after Danny Ainge assembled the Big Three, the Celtics won 66 games. A year ago, they won 62 games, despite spending a huge chunk of the year without Kevin Garnett. This summer, the Cs courted Rasheed Wallace, persuading him by saying he could be the piece that makes this one of the best teams in NBA history.
Wallace, apparently, took that quite literally.
Asked by Thomas Halzack of the Connecticut Post if he thought this Celtics team could make a run at the 1995-96 Bulls record 72-10 season, Wallace said he thought it was possible.
"Oh definitely," Wallace told Halzack. "Definitely, playing with those three other guys, also combining that with the guys we have on the bench, I think we can definitely can. Me personally, I think we can get that Bulls record. You know we have the talent for it. We have the will for it and…I think we have the defense for it."
The Celtics went on a 19-game tear -- the longest winning streak in team history -- early last year and were 27-2 going into a Christmas Day matchup with the Lakers, which they lost 92-83. The year before that, they were 29-3 two-plus months into the season, and didn't lose their 10th game until late February.
The most common knock on the Celtics is the age of their stars. The year the Bulls ripped through the league, a 32-year-old Michael Jordan was in the first full year of his initial comeback, Scottie Pippen was 30 years old, and a newly-acquired, wildly-eccentric Dennis Rodman was 34.
Wallace told Halzack, "They had some HOFs on there, but we have a few on this team, too."
... and..

Quote:
SI picks Bruins to win Stanley Cup

Eastern playoff teams: Boston, New Jersey, Washington, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Carolina, Montreal, NY Rangers
Western playoff teams: San Jose, Chicago, Calgary, Detroit, Anaheim, Vancouver, St. Louis, Columbus
Eastern Conference champion: Boston. Yes, the Bruins will miss the finishing touch of Kessel, who had a team-high 36 goals last season. But they also have enough firepower to compensate with the healthy returns of Patrice Bergeron and Marco Sturm. Their defense is solid, and his Vezina Trophy won't change Tim Thomas. But most of all, the Bruins won't make the fatal mistake of underestimating a playoff opponent like they did last spring against Carolina. "We won four out of four against them in the regular season, and we thought it was going to be easy playing against them," Milan Lucic admitted this summer. "The mindset going into that series could've been different. Having a better start would've made a big difference."
Western Conference champion: San Jose. Maybe I'm shooting myself in the foot, but the addition of Dany Heatley could be just what the Sharks need to get out of their perennial playoff funk. His tournament resume -- Canada's all-time leading scorer in World Championships (modern era) and 2007 playoff scoring leader with Ottawa (though 2008 was decidedly less impressive) -- was a big reason why GM Doug Wilson wanted him. Both Heatley and Joe Thornton are playing for Olympic bids, which should light a fire in them early, and if they're sick of hearing that they're choke artists, well, this is about the last legitimate chance they have to prove otherwise.
Stanley Cup: Boston. It doesn't matter that their scoring depth took a hit, or that they're pinned right up against the salary cap (which makes mid-season tweaking tough) or that Thomas is still a heart attack in the crease, the Bruins have an undeniably strong team with a nice mix of proven veterans (Mark Recchi, Marc Savard, Zdeno Chara) and promising youngsters (David Krejci, Blake Wheeler, Lucic).

Oh, and the Patriots are still pretty good.

Walkoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
Goody
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, over the course of a single afternoon yesterday, two professional teams from the same area blew leads and ended up losing. THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED TO ANY OTHER AREA AT ANY POINT IN TIME EVER. And thus, the legend of Black Sunday was born. Indeed, this was the single worst day in the history of humanity. Worse than 9/11. Worse than Pearl Harbor. Worse than Saturday, when I found out TBS actually hired David Wells to speak on camera. Worse than all of those days COMBINED. Peter King says it was semi-Hiroshimaesque. Witness the tweeted emotional devastation wrought by the Patriots losing a regular season game and the Red Sox being knocked out of the playoffs when most people in Boston never liked their chances to begin with:
That's pretty disgusting, dude. Comparing way too many people, dying horrifically, to your sports teams losing. Get a grip, Boston.

Last edited by Goody; 10-13-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:15 AM   #4
Tony M
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody View Post
That's pretty disgusting, dude. Comparing way too many people, dying horrifically, to your sports teams losing. Get a grip, Boston.
Interestingly the only reference to 9/11 is in the bit at the top where the guy is taking what others have said and turning it into a piece. The way it's written I wouldn't say that Drew Magary is a Boston sports fan or even from New England.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

I'm not into self-pity when it comes to Boston sports. We have had it good and still do. Most cities would be thrilled with teams even get mentioned in the same breath as PLAYOFFS most years. We have had six championships this decade. Not bad by my count.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
PotatoPeeler
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvam14 View Post
I'm not into self-pity when it comes to Boston sports. We have had it good and still do. Most cities would be thrilled with teams even get mentioned in the same breath as PLAYOFFS most years. We have had six championships this decade. Not bad by my count.
And that's the right attitude to have.

But there are some out there on the interwebs who feel their teams are entitled to win every time and when they don't, they instantly revert to the days where the team struggled. *cough* *cough* Bill Simmons *cough* It's pathetic.

I have never taken a lesson on how to talk on TV in my life.
- Tim McCarver

Guns have only two enemies; rust and liberals.

The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel.
PotatoPeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:45 PM   #7
myasu
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoPeeler View Post
And that's the right attitude to have.

*cough* *cough* Bill Simmons *cough* It's pathetic.
It is pathetic.

People like Shaughnessy, Simmons made a lot of money (or got to where he is right now) by writing books about the Red Sox' miserable history.

They could even make some more money selling their books to younger fans by digging up the past history once again.

Bill Spaceman Lee- "The other day they asked me about mandatory drug testing. I said I believed in drug testing a long time ago. All through the sixties I tested everything."
myasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And this as PP stated, is the right attitude to have. Which is why you'll never have a sports writing or television job. Your'e overqualified, not be a ****ing idiot and all.

For those being so emo about every loss (aka Mr. Simmons), I suggest either getting a grip, or getting a rope.
canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:07 PM   #9
edddgar
Minors (Triple A)

Wait, New England fans are whining about any kind of sports disposition? Seriously? New England is one of the few areas that has absolutely nothing to complain about with their professional sports teams. The success of either the Patriots, Red Sox, or Celtics would be sufficient for any area. You'll receive no sympathy from anyone.
edddgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:29 PM   #10
stevebydac
All Star Reserve

I live and work in New England, and I can assure you that I have yet to speak with anyone who is complaining, crying, or whining. We've had a great run this decade. All of our pro teams are contenders - what's to complain about?

We had a crappy weekend (Sox knocked out, Pats losing in OT) but everyone was already shrugging it off Monday saying stuff like "Oh well, the Pats will probably settle down and do well, the Celtics look great, and maybe the Bruins will have a good run in them this year".

Don't believe the hype machine. We're happy and feel very blessed and very thankful for our luck.

stevebydac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #11
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebydac View Post
I live and work in New England, and I can assure you that I have yet to speak with anyone who is complaining, crying, or whining. We've had a great run this decade. All of our pro teams are contenders - what's to complain about?

We had a crappy weekend (Sox knocked out, Pats losing in OT) but everyone was already shrugging it off Monday saying stuff like "Oh well, the Pats will probably settle down and do well, the Celtics look great, and maybe the Bruins will have a good run in them this year".

Don't believe the hype machine. We're happy and feel very blessed and very thankful for our luck.
""
Old 10-14-2009, 08:52 AM   #12
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Gotta love this article today in the Boston Globe.

Now is the fall of our discontent - The Boston Globe

They are asking a funeral director on how the grieving process should go with regards to sports teams. Unreal. I think this is what the OP was talking about, but I find it just as ridiculous
Old 10-14-2009, 09:31 AM   #13
Joshv02
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
""
" "!
Old 10-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #14
Skipaway
Hall Of Famer

Somebody tried too hard for attention, and we award them with attention!