Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
thomamon
Global Moderator

New York Yankees 2008 Season Official Thread

To say it has been a long off season would be a huge understatement. The thoughts of Joba Chamberlin swarmed by bugs in Cleveland are a distant memory, George Steinbrenner opening his fat mouth in the middle of a divisional series threatening Joe Torre seems so last year. Speaking of… Joe Torre? Was that this off season when Joe Torre walked away and another Joe, Joe Girardi was named the new manager over one of the all time Yankee favorites Don Mattingly (It turned out to be OK anyway, Mattingly later walked away from his job as hitting coach of the Dodgers when his wife flipped out and said he would have had to walk away from the manager job as well.) What about that announcement by Scott Boras during the final game of the world series, A-Rod is no longer a Yankee! There were contract talks with Mariano and Jorge that eventually kept them with the Yankees, but for too long??? What the hell, A-Rod is back! And the rumors about Johan Santana and giving up some of our big named specs, thank goodness for the Mets. Then December came and ‘The Mitchell Report’ was released, need I say more? I don’t think so, the expression “Beating a dead horse” comes to mind. And let us not forget, both ComishJoe and I were both married!

Well, tomorrow afternoon the longest off season in history will be just that, history. It’ll be time for Peanuts and Cracker Jacks as the Opening Day Bunting will hang at Yankee Stadium, the House that Ruth built(And DiMaggio, Mantle, Gehrig, Munson, Mattingly also took a lease out on) for one final time. Jeter, Posada, Cano, Rivera and A-Rod will help try and guide the Yankees for one more magic run in arguably the most historic stadium of all time. With so many great memories and moments happening at 161st, there really would be only one proper way to close down The Original Yankee Stadium, and of course that would be by celebrating World Championship #27! Also, to help celebrate, Yankee Stadium will host the 79th Midsummer Classic.

2008 looks like it may be a very exciting year for the Yankees. Quite honestly, how well the Yankees perform is still up in the air. Probably the biggest factor will be a trio of players named Kennedy, Hughes and Chamberlin. For about as long as I can remember, I haven’t been this excited to see 3 rookies like these three will perform. Can they possibly be the real deal? So often you’ll hear about other specs coming up and they say you are lucky if just one of them pans out. But I don’t think I’m alone in thinking, feeling or maybe just hoping when I say perhaps these three may be something special.

Receiving the honors of starting the last opening day at Yankee Stadium is Chien-Ming Wang. There couldn’t be a more deserving pitcher either; Wang is coming off of consecutive 19 win seasons. And don’t forget Wang missed the opportunity last year when he missed most of April with an injury. Andy Pettitte will start the year on the DL, but should return in the first week. He was sharp in his last spring outing, but will the memories of the off season affect Pettittes performance? Knowing the battler that Andy is, I highly doubt that it is possible. All Yankee fans know when Pettitte is on the mound, he’s all business and there is no reason that will change in 2008.

A-Rod returns but how will he perform? If he plays anything like he did in 2007, all will be good. But how will the off season shenanigans effect his mental state and just how will the fans receive him when he’s announced on opening day. Will the crawling back behind Boras’ back be enough to mend the fences of seemingly walking away from the Yankees. Derek Jeter is said to be in tremendous shape, many are predicting an MVP type season from him. Robinson Cano started off slow last year, but still managed to finish the year batting .306 with 19 Home Runs and 97 RBI’s in 160 games. He was rewarded with a four your contract this off season, things should be very exciting for Cano this year.

Jorge’s back after an amazing 2007. He’s brought a four year deal with him, some may say the Yankees are nuts giving him that sort of contract at his age for a catcher, you can definitely include me in that group. However, with that said, I have a hunch the Yankees plan may not be for Posada to be a catcher for very much longer. I believe starting this year we’ll see Posada start developing more and more time at first base. Do not be surprised if by next year, Posada is the regular first basemen for the Yanks.

Well, we all know what the Yankees OF looks like this year, but I believe this may be the next part of the team we see transformed. Abreu’s contract expires this year and Matsui and Damon after next year. I would expect a better year from Damon after last year, at 34, if he can stay healthy you know he has game left. I believe Abreu will have another solid year and Matsui should be fine at DH since he seems to have forgotten how to play the outfield.

And then there is the bullpen. Mariano Rivera at 38 is back and ready to close down games again. Let’s hope he can keep it together. We know Mariano is the best closer in the history, but everyone wonders just how long it will be till father time catches up with him. Joba will start the year in the bullpen, and you know that’s a good thing for the pen. However, just how much of a blow will it be when he’s moved into the rotation is still to be determined. Guys with the name of Farnsworth, Hawkins and others will determine that.

Well, there you have it, this is our New York Yankees 2008 Season Official Thread!

Lets Playball!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
robster1225
Hall Of Famer

Wow, nice, Tom. As if I wasn't already stoked for the season, now I can't wait until 1:05 tomorrow!
robster1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Great kickoff!

And nice bunting (the red, white, and blue kind, not the smallball kind). How did you get it to hang at the top of your post like that?

I hope the weather holds tomorrow. But that's why Tuesday is scheduled as an off day, in case there's a rainout.

Enjoy the season, youse guys.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:36 PM   #4
thomamon
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 Yankees View Post
Great kickoff!

And nice bunting (the red, white, and blue kind, not the smallball kind). How did you get it to hang at the top of your post like that?
Opening Day Magic
Old 03-30-2008, 11:26 PM   #5
darkenigma510
All Star Starter

Good luck tomorrow Yankee fans...but not too much luck
darkenigma510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:23 AM   #6
edog23
Major Leagues

Opening Day is my favorite day of the year and getting a chance to watch the Yankees home opener is gonna be fun. It'd be a helluva lot better if I was there in person but seeing it on TV will do.
edog23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
CommishJoe
Global Moderator

hmm, 12:05. I should be able to pull up Foxsports' GameTracker and keep tabs on what's going on. I wish I could watch it on TV but ah well. If the snow starts early enough (we're supposed to get 4-8 inches today), I might have a good enough excuse to go home early

Great job on the opening post Tom. It was well worth the wait. And, thanks for the shout out

Dark, good luck to your Jays as well. May they go 18-0 against the Sox and 0-18 against the Yankees Hey, I'm still rooting for them to go .500 which isn't bad is it???

Success isn’t owned. It’s leased. And rent is due every day.
CommishJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:54 AM   #8
CommishJoe
Global Moderator

dola,

Here's the report from Foxsports on who is in the Yankees' bullpen:

BULLPEN:

RHP Mariano Rivera (closer)

RHP Joba Chamberlain

RHP LaTroy Hawkins

RHP Kyle Farnsworth

LHP Billy Traber

RHP Ross Ohlendorf

Old 03-31-2008, 09:10 AM   #9
jaxmagicman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Retired defloration-maker living in Myrtle Beach, SC
I now hate the Red Sox more than the Yankees, thus I have turned into a Yankee fan, because someone needs to beat the Red Sox up.

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.
jaxmagicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:20 AM   #10
CommishJoe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxmagicman View Post
I now hate the Red Sox more than the Yankees, thus I have turned into a Yankee fan, because someone needs to beat the Red Sox up.
Welcome Jax I usually don't like bandwagon fans, but I'll make an exception in your case.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:03 PM   #11
thomamon
Global Moderator

Woohoo, pre-game is on! What a nice new studio

Still, why the hell is Cone doing Yankee announcing? Yuck, lol
Old 03-31-2008, 12:06 PM   #12
thomamon
Global Moderator

Wow, what a different lineup. Girardi is showing alot of confidence in Giambi, maybe that will give him a boost??? I like Cano batting up in the lineup, but they dropped Matsui to 8th!

Damon
Jeter
Abreu
Rodriguez
Giambi
Cano
Posada
Matsui
Cabrera
Old 03-31-2008, 01:41 PM   #13
robster1225
Hall Of Famer

grrr, i hate rain delays
robster1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:01 PM   #14
thomamon
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robster1225 View Post
grrr, i hate rain delays
You and I both
Old 03-31-2008, 02:35 PM   #15
darkenigma510
All Star Starter

So what are you guys feelings on Mussina? Do you think he has anything left in the tank?
Old 03-31-2008, 02:40 PM   #16
darkenigma510
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robster1225 View Post
grrr, i hate rain delays
I hate rain outs more!
Old 03-31-2008, 02:52 PM   #17
CommishJoe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkenigma510 View Post
So what are you guys feelings on Mussina? Do you think he has anything left in the tank?
I think he's done. He might make for an effective long reliever or a spot relief appearance here and there, but I don't he can be effective every 5th day. If Chamberlain does make an appearance into the rotation this season, it'll be to replace Mussina.

I hate rain outs too

Old 03-31-2008, 05:14 PM   #18
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommishJoe View Post
I hate rain outs too
People in the stands were cheering, though, that the Yankees decided to make tomorrow's opener a night game. Those folks don't have to miss another day of work, you see.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:48 PM   #19
thomamon
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkenigma510 View Post
Ah ****, I forgot to mention the going away party I'm throwing at seasons end for Mussina and Giambi!!!

Mussina is done, kaput, finished!
Old 03-31-2008, 11:49 PM   #20
thomamon
Global Moderator

As a matter of fact, lets take bets on what happens first.

Mussina is dropped from the rotation

OR

Giambi goes on the DL