Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-10-2020, 08:40 AM   #121
Henric
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
You're going very deep, very fast

Have you checked out Fangraphs yet? I must admit my preferred way of absorbing these things is by osmosis - just let them soak in via immersion in entertaining media - rather than more structured stuff like reading rule books and analysis.

My preference would be 'fun' stuff like The Only Rule Is It Has to Work: Our Wild Experiment Building a New Kind of Baseball Team

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Only-Rule-H.../dp/B016IBVN6Y

Yup, can't say I understand everything I read, but it's a great place to learn, FanGraphs. Thanks for the book tip!
Henric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:34 AM   #122
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henric View Post
I'm thinking of getting this book as well. Anyone read it?

https://www.amazon.com/Sabermetric-R...C0T83CZYMCESQ2
I have not read that, but in looking it over, it seems like a decent overview of where we are currently with that type of analysis. I like baseball books, so I may need to check that out.

Another decent book, that sort of summarizes a lot of the modern view on stats and analysis, is this book by Keith Law. It is a fairly short read and I enjoyed it.

Here is the Amazon description:

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Basebal...s=books&sr=1-1

I have heard good things about MVP Machine; it is focused on player development. I plan on getting it over the summer or later this year:

https://www.amazon.com/MVP-Machine-B...s=books&sr=1-1

Last edited by Calvert98; 03-10-2020 at 09:35 AM.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:46 AM   #123
Henric
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert98 View Post
I have not read that, but in looking it over, it seems like a decent overview of where we are currently with that type of analysis. I like baseball books, so I may need to check that out.

Another decent book, that sort of summarizes a lot of the modern view on stats and analysis, is this book by Keith Law. It is a fairly short read and I enjoyed it.

I have heard good things about MVP Machine; it is focused on player development. I plan on getting it over the summer or later this year:

Thanks! Yes, the Summer reading list will probably be filled with baseball books!
Old 03-10-2020, 12:09 PM   #124
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Baseball Prospectus - it's huge, but pretty much covers every player/team for the 2020 season.

And the good news is, there's a Kindle version.

Not something to read in one sitting, but something to flip through, pick up and put down all season.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:15 PM   #125
Henric
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed75 View Post
Baseball Prospectus - it's huge, but pretty much covers every player/team for the 2020 season.

And the good news is, there's a Kindle version.

Not something to read in one sitting, but something to flip through, pick up and put down all season.

That sounds dangerous! And while I do love my Kindle and the Kindle app on my iPad, I actually prefer to have reference books like that in physical form. Don't know why really.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:34 AM   #126
Henric
Minors (Single A)

Quote:

Started reading MVP Machine last night. REALLY good so far. A great insight into player development. How much actual control over player development can you have in OOTP? Having played Football Manager, I'm used to having lots of control.

Also, will buy Smart Baseball as well. A steal on Kindle! Real cheap.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:12 AM   #127
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henric View Post
Started reading MVP Machine last night. REALLY good so far. A great insight into player development. How much actual control over player development can you have in OOTP? Having played Football Manager, I'm used to having lots of control.

Also, will buy Smart Baseball as well. A steal on Kindle! Real cheap.
That is good to hear about MVP machine. The reviews have been good as well; I read some of the forward on Amazon, and it seemed really interesting. I will probably pick it up this summer or even this spring.

As to player development in OOTP, that comes mainly from the development budget, the coaches on each of your system teams, and farm progression in the case of prospects. There is sort of two types of development...minor-league prospect development and established player development, and they are different. I think MVP machine for example has the case of Trevor Bauer, who was already an established player. Then there is the player himself and his make-up, such as his ability to learn and commitment / work-ethic, which has an impact. Also, as to prospects, how you progress your guys through your system as well, making sure they get playing time, not promoting them too soon, or too late. Others may have more info on this than what I mentioned, but I think those are the main areas in OOTP.

Yea, Smart Baseball is a good deal right now; I think the paper back is also only like around $10.00 USD.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:41 AM   #128
Henric
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
That is good to hear about MVP machine. The reviews have been good as well; I read some of the forward on Amazon, and it seemed really interesting. I will probably pick it up this summer or even this spring.

As to player development in OOTP, that comes mainly from the development budget, the coaches on each of your system teams, and farm progression in the case of prospects. There is sort of two types of development...minor-league prospect development and established player development, and they are different. I think MVP machine for example has the case of Trevor Bauer, who was already an established player. Then there is the player himself and his make-up, such as his ability to learn and commitment / work-ethic, which has an impact. Also, as to prospects, how you progress your guys through your system as well, making sure they get playing time, not promoting them too soon, or too late. Others may have more info on this than what I mentioned, but I think those are the main areas in OOTP.

Yea, Smart Baseball is a good deal right now; I think the paper back is also only like around $10.00 USD.
That is an aspect I love in Football Manager. Finding hidden gems and nurturing them to maturity and then greatness. I suppose it’s somewhat more abstract in OOTP. Not saying that’s a bad thing, I just need to figure it out since I have no idea when one of “my kids” is ready to move on up.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:27 PM   #129
Marcelo1967
Bat Boy

It's true. Myself, coming from a soccer country, when I discovered baseball
I was overwhelmed by the hundreds of stats and numbers. But after a few years, I got used to them and Actually now I understand they' re really needed. How can you evaluate a pitcher or hitter without all those numbers and equations?
Marcelo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote