Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 10-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
mexpop
Bat Boy

Conundrum: fictional players

I'm playing a historical game that started in 1946. I had fictional players turned on (b/c otherwise as a manager you have no minor leagues or prospects to play with, and there aren't any free agents at the start of the game, so it's hard to play).

The problem is, by 1948, the league was overrun with star-caliber fictional players. The 1948 NL champ Cardinals had something like five fictional players in their lineup.

Is there a setting whereby I can have fictional players, but put a cap on how good they can be? What I want is replacement-level minor league talent. But my only other option seems to be "prevent fictional players from reaching the majors" which seems tantamount to "no minor leagues" which makes trades a drag.

I'm hoping there's a simple remedy I've missed but for the life of me can't find it anywhere.

Thanks!

Ari
mexpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
SteveP

There is no perfect solution but I will tell you what I do. It has some complexity, but here goes:

I only have two levels of minor league (AAA and AA). When I start my game, I set the AAA sabermetic numbers to the AA level, and the AA numbers to the A level. This governs the abilities of any fictional players you create. Then I fill only the AA league with fictionals. I go thru all the organizations and have the AI reorganize the minor leagues, which means that the fictionals are re-distributed between the two levels. Then, I fill the AA league with fictionals again, do an AI redistribution again, then fill both leagues to cover any remaining shortages.

What you get are organizations in which the bell curve for the fictionals peaks at the lower level of AA values. I stlll get 3-4 guys who are promoted to the active roster somewhere (when the teams are weak anyway). Also player development will cause some guys to rise up to ML capability. In future years, I may retire some of these guys, plus older minor league fictionals, and refill the organizations at the bottom.

I have learned not to care very much about a few fictionals getting into ML lineups. I regard what I am doing as alternative history anyway, and there were a lot of minor league players IRL who never made it into the majors, but could have, and who are essentially anonymous to me anyway. I consider the fictionals as stand-ins for those guys.

Hope that helps.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote