Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 10-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
What is your roster size?

Came across this article Mattingly ponders 26-man roster rule | dodgers.com: News
MLB allows 26 man roster for day/night doubleheaders well other articles Suggest that MLB will eventually go with a permanent 26 man roster. If they do will you do likewise in your game? Or stick with 25? Or do you have your roster size you play with an why, what do you carry?

For me I always play with a set 28 man roster and no September 40 man roster info that for every league
I carry 5 man rotation and 8 relivers with one being a possible spot starter or emergency starter/long relive
15 position players no DH.
So 7 bench players I try to have utility players that can play multiple positions, 1 back up catcher but having another utility player with some catching abilities as a 3rd emergency catcher. I don't use minor leagues so my 28 man roster covers me in case of injuries I only replace a player if he will be gone for a while with one of my 15 man reserve players.
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

25 unless league evolution changes it
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post
25 but you allow fate to decide for you
Old 10-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
D-BacksJosh
Banned

I always stick with what I know. 25 man rosters, 40 man expansion.
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
25 but you allow fate to decide for you
Yes. It is the choice I have made.

In real life I hope they don't expand rosters because I think it will lead to more pitching changes and I think we have too many now.

(Not a problem in OOTP of course, pitching changes take much less time there. )

Last edited by rpriske; 10-04-2013 at 03:59 PM.
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post
This. i might increase it t a later date and i like calling up 5-10 September call ups. For every OOTP lague i have played in full, i rarely have had a losing record in September when i can throw a RHP, LHP, RHP, LHP etc at them in later innings.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
DCG12
All Star Starter

Location: Traveling through another dimension-not one of only sight and sound,but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundries are those of imagination.
I play with a 25 man roster and a 30 September expansion. I think this helps the AI as it keeps it from promoting guys it shouldn't or doesn't need too.

I think MLB should do something similar because I don't see the need to lengthen Sept. games by letting managers have practically unlimited left/right pitching changes. Most teams only have a couple prospects that will get playing time anyway.
DCG12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG12 View Post
I play with a 25 man roster and a 30 September expansion. I think this helps the AI as it keeps it from promoting guys it shouldn't or doesn't need too.

I think MLB should do something similar because I don't see the need to lengthen Sept. games by letting managers have practically unlimited left/right pitching changes. Most teams only have a couple prospects that will get playing time anyway.
Agree I always thought 40 is too much and some don't even play a game
Old 10-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

padre you will find that MANY teams don't expand all the way to 40 because if they do then they would have to buy the contract out for 50K or whatever it is now and then pay big league minimum .... not sure if the rules are the same with the new contract in place for baseball
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:33 AM   #10
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nster View Post
padre you will find that MANY teams don't expand all the way to 40...
That's right. Forty may be the maximum, but most clubs won't be carrying that many. (It was the same back when the first month of the season had a 40-man limit. Most clubs carried roughly 32 players on the active roster out of spring training.)
Le Grande Orange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #11
estyles
Bat Boy

Also 25 unless league evolution changes it, here. I like the idea that rules change and I don't have direct control over it. Just recently got 11-day DL (yay!) and 2 year arbitration (boo!).

25 man roster sometimes seems like too many (at least one utility guy barely plays), and sometimes like too few (entire pitching staff is worn out, and a position player has a day-to-day injury with no minor league options left). I think that means it's the perfect size.

I would probably be pretty happy if league evolution decided it should be 26, though.
estyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Folks may be interested in looking at this page, which lists the historical roster limit in the majors.

I would only make two small corrections to it: from 1986-1990, while the limit was officially 25, all major league clubs only carried 24 active players (exploiting a loophole in the CBA). So, as a practical matter, the active player limit was 24 from 1986-1990. Also, in 1995, clubs were allowed to carry 28 active players for the first three weeks of the season due to the abbreviated spring training period that year.

Another point to note is for how many years the majors had early season roster expansion as well as late season roster expansion. It wasn't until 1968 that the opening day active rosters were 25.

(Another little twist to the roster rules started in 2008 for clubs playing in the early overseas openers.)

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 10-05-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #13
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

I think the advent of the one inning relief pitcher is ruining MLB. Makes the games much longer. Managers like Girardi and Maddon think the object of the game is too make pitching changes while winning the game has become secondary. Notice the Yankees and Rays more than likely average the longest length of games(along with the Red Sox,because their hitters take so many pitches).

Bringing the DH into the AL back in 1973 meant teams started carrying less pitchers because the starter stayed in the game longer because there was no need for pinch-hitters. Today-MLB teams carry as many as 13.

I say keep the MLB rosters at 25(with limiting pitchers to 11 on the 25 man roster) and expand the roster to 40 on Sept. 1st.

Relief pitchers need to be taught to pitch more innings in the minors.

Last edited by Orioles1966; 10-05-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #14
Ike348
All Star Starter

What is your roster size?

Oops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.

Last edited by Ike348; 10-06-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #15
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

I've always gone with 25/40, except for one year when I went to 40/50 to give a bunch of real-life cup-of-coffee guys their cup o' joe. And to use a few OOTP-created guys who were rotting in the minors.

My file fried not long after that season ended. Coincidence? Not sure. But I don't think I'll stray from 25/40 again any time soon.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #16
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Folks may be interested in looking at this page, which lists the historical roster limit in the majors.

I would only make two small corrections to it: from 1986-1990, while the limit was officially 25, all major league clubs only carried 24 active players (exploiting a loophole in the CBA). So, as a practical matter, the active player limit was 24 from 1986-1990. Also, in 1995, clubs were allowed to carry 28 active players for the first three weeks of the season due to the abbreviated spring training period that year.

Another point to note is for how many years the majors had early season roster expansion as well as late season roster expansion. It wasn't until 1968 that the opening day active rosters were 25.

(Another little twist to the roster rules started in 2008 for clubs playing in the early overseas openers.)
I don't remember they having a 27 man roster in 1990
Old 10-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #17
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
I don't remember they having a 27 man roster in 1990
Same reason as in 1995: the abbreviated spring training that occurred that season (in that case, due to a lockout by the owners). The clubs could carry three extra players for the first three weeks of the season in compensation.