Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Lightbulb Post your OOTP 14 Storyline-Ideas here!

Hey guys,

we will continue to add new storylines in OOTP 14, and we would love to hear your ideas! We're looking for both simple one-article stuff (i.e. someone burns his finger while ironing his shirt and hence misses the next game) and more complex ones which may also require yes/no feedback from the user.

Cody Sharp will pick up the doable ideas and enter them into the OOTP 14 storyline database. I'll ask him to post a few examples here too, so you have a better idea of what is possible and what not.

And as a little "thank you" we'll add those who contribute the most & best ideas to the game credits - so if you want to see YOUR NAME inside the game, take a minute and post your ideas

Thanks for helping!
Markus

Last edited by Andreas Raht; 01-25-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

Please write up your story idea in paragraph form!

Think easy stuff to get started -

Players can have their ratings boosted/reduced - but how did it happen. Tell that story. It could be during offseason, regular season, spring training, etc
Player gets injured doing non-based related task - how and why?
Player suspended for reasons that aren't already used (drugs/fighting) - why and how long?
Player personality stories - player greedy, not greedy (charitable), fan favorite, super star stories, upcoming free agent, weight related stories, player waived no trade agreement, stories about free agent, guy on waivers, people in minors, up and coming prospect, etc)
Stories about league events (rule 5, spring training, etc)
Stories about hall of fame player.
Stories specific to batters, pitchers, or any position.
Stories about team position in standings
Stories about magic number
Stories about missing playoffs

Stories should be no longer than a paragraph or so.

Things that can be done but takes MUCH longer to test -

Stories that have multiple components i.e.

Player decides to take a course of action (rumors of steroid use)
Story trees out and in a certain or uncertain amount of time, something occurs (gets caught, keeps playing and improves stats, etc)

Stories that have a decision component in them: ie

Player is being a horrible influence on team but has a no trade clause

Player makes a demand to be traded after waiving his no trade clause

You can either waive the clause, keep him on the team or release him and lose millions of dollars.

Words of warning, try not to do stuff specific to any one time period (the 20's, the 40's, etc). You can do it but it is less useful than things that can be done for any time period and it likely won't be prioritized.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updated info below

Great ideas guys - and funny ones too but really only looking for fully/partially written stories in this thread. You don't have to do the Storyline coding, leave that to me, but I want this thread to be manageable.

Some things I saw that are possible using the story line engine:

Rising star is seduced by a beautiful woman...
Players getting into trouble with law enforcement....
Pick broke off negotiations to pursue playing college football...
Player ruptures spleen in fall while shoveling snow
Player marries a super-hottie. Immediate uptick in player popularity.

Some things I saw that aren't possible using the story line engine:

The Durham Bulls have been purchased by the Reds so the Tampa Bay has to find a new home for their Triple-A Team?

All-Star Voting

January 9 these people have been selected to be inducted into the Hall of Fame in July?

Please feel free to write the ones that are possible and they will be coded into the game.

Last edited by cody8200; 01-25-2013 at 02:55 PM.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Rising star is seduced by a beautiful woman, who lures him to her hotel room, shoots him, and then jumps out the window to her death. Player is removed from the league immediately but reappears in the league as a free agent 5 to 10 years later having undergone positive player development as if he had played the entire time, but under a different name.

It's a natural!
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Doesn't OOTP need a Catfish storyline now to stay up with the times
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
D-BacksJosh
Banned

One thing that is a possibility that happens in real life would be players getting into trouble with law enforcement. Things such as DUI's, domestic violence (Milton Bradley comes to mind), drug possession, etc. As owner these stories, depending upon their severity, can give the option to suspend or even release the player from the club. I'm not very good at writing stories so I will leave that to someone with a little more imagination.
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Rising star is seduced by a beautiful woman, who lures him to her hotel room, shoots him, and then jumps out the window to her death. Player is removed from the league immediately but reappears in the league as a free agent 5 to 10 years later having undergone positive player development as if he had played the entire time, but under a different name.

It's a natural!
haha, you beat me to it
Old 01-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
ShaneCarson
All Star Reserve

During the first year player draft negotiations, it'd be nice if a pick broke off negotiations to pursue playing college football, or some second sport that he was reportedly good at. Or that he was spurning that second sport to sign with your team. i.e. Zach Lee, Colin Kaepernick, John Elway, etc.
ShaneCarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Transaction News not just for Historical Leagues so like lets say the Dodgers put Mark Ellis on the DL on August the 10th it would say received Justin Thomas from Triple-A or if a Trade was made like the Angels sent Wells to the Braves for Mike Minor and others so it would also say then Angels recalled Chris Coon and sent down Garret Richards

Things like on mlbtraderumors.com?

The Durham Bulls have been purchased by the Reds so the Tampa Bay has to find a new home for their Triple-A Team?

All-Star Votes?

January 9 these people have been selected to be inducted into the Hall of Fame in July?

Pitchers and Catchers Report to Camp?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Carl Pavano ruptures spleen in fall while shoveling snow, will be sidelined 6 to 8 weeks | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports
Old 01-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Someone has a fake online girlfriend?
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Player marries a super-hottie. Immediate uptick in player popularity.
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

A little less humorous, but there have a number of instances of players having to leave the team temporarily to take care of family emergencies. Death in the family, that sort of thing. Bereavement leave.

Also, remember when Wilson Ramos was kidnapped?

Major league catcher kidnapped in Venezuela - CNN
Old 01-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

How about movie/tv show roles? Doesn't even have to be real movies or shows or anything like that. Would still be cool.

Player x has signed a contract to make a few cameo appearances in the hit Fox tv show __.

Player x has landed a role in the upcoming Hollywood movie __.

There could also be quotes from the player on the experience, and maybe a humorous critic review or something.

Just fun little things like that.

Edit: Also, what about players landing on the cover of popular sports magazines? Or even just major articles on the player in sports mags.

Last edited by Habsfan18; 01-25-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #14
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
How about movie/tv show roles? Doesn't even have to be real movies or shows or anything like that. Would still be cool.

Player x has signed a contract to make a few cameo appearances in the hit Fox tv show __.

Player x has landed a role in the upcoming Hollywood movie __.

There could also be quotes from the player on the experience, and maybe a humorous critic review or something.

Just fun little things like that.
Or gets a spot on a reality show, or has a reality show based entirely around them.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #15
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

What if a player announced his retirement in order to pursue the dream of becoming a woman.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #16
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Player x signs book deal to write autobiography on career.

Player x signs endorsement deal with __. (Again, doesn't need to be actual company for licensing purposes)

Player x has sold his house in __, leading some to believe he's on the move to another franchise.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #17
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

I don't know if these are possible because they tie in directly with the financials, but I'd like to see things like these.
  • Player tells media he won't negotiate an extension during the season.
  • Team announces its plans to cut or increase payroll.
  • Players changing agents, which could effect free agent or extension negotiations
  • Team faces difficult decision as trade deadline approaches with star player who's a free agent after the season
And one suggestion that's not tied to financials.
  • Player(s) and manager trade barbs in the media, similar to Bobby Valentine and the Red Sox this season.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #18
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
What if a player announced his retirement in order to pursue the dream of becoming a woman.

This would have to come with the option of keeping it discreet for the good of the club.
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #19
ootpFox07
All Star Starter

Great ideas so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
I don't know if these are possible because they tie in directly with the financials, but I'd like to see things like these.
As Cody did earlier, these can be vetted by the team against the storylines capabilities. Just toss up ideas and we can vet and filter what works and what doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
Or gets a spot on a reality show, or has a reality show based entirely around them.
Ala Jeff Kent on survivor or of course the infamous "Bonds on Bonds". (Did anyone actually watch that?)

Last edited by ootpFox07; 01-25-2013 at 02:07 PM.
ootpFox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #20
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Player caught cheating on his taxes by the IRS, loses a season battling it out in court.