Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:48 PM   #1
BBallfan1
Bat Boy

Player Development question. How is it determined

Ok I've played four different games so far. The Cubs, Sox (im from Chicago) Boston and LA Angels, each for 20 to 25y years season increments before giving up on each. I've seen many disparities between the development of players, big leage, minor leagers and computer generated players. Often the same players have different development levels between the games.

In one instance, Juan Soto, who is a five star player at the age of 21 when I started, keeped up that pace through arbitration, and about age 25 signed a 10 year, 35 million a year plus deal with Washington. Within 3 years, he was a 1.5 star player, and at the age of 28, was religated to the minors, and The Nats owed him for all that money for six more years. A similar thing happened in that same game with Acuna with Atlanta, although they only owed him about 17 million for 5 more years when he hit the 2 star mark.

In other games, these players, and others, developed differently. Pitchers, too. In one Game, Chris Sale was a five star player up to age 39, when in another, he was 2.5 stars at age 39.Trout, in one game. was a 4.5 star player at age 38, and another, he was only 3 stars at at that age. The only player who has been pretty consistant from game to game has ben Vlad Jr. who is an MVP candidate every year up to age 36 or 37.

my question, is, how does player development work? is it jst throwing a ton of money at that stat, or does scouting and coaching play a role. Is there a player setting to control how fast, or slow development is, or is it just random?
BBallfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:06 AM   #2
slugga27
All Star Starter

I won’t say it’s purely random, but OOTP would not be enjoyable (in my view) if everything was scripted. Injuries happen, also.

I had one save where David Price was solid for the first couple of years. Then he got hurt and he tanked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:05 PM   #3
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

The game doesn't know names, it just knows player IDs. It doesn't "know" who is supposed to be good and who isn't. I like to import historical players into my game, and things don't always go according to the script. Sure, most guys develop as they did in real life, but sometimes they don't. As I always say, if you knew what was going to happen there'd be no point in playing.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:37 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

rng impacted by the factors you most suspect.

personality plays a role. playing time plays a role, albeit small. how old they are is important, etc etc. the biggest key is their potential... can't get there if it isn't possible.

through research they've come up with some average rate -- whether real life or neccessity of the game itself -- and then these factors cause it to be even more volatile around that point for more causal reasons than just randomness. just like anything else in the game. you got a league average than various ratings cause that to have a wide spectrum of results.

tcr throws a curvball at all that with pure randomness... sometimes players get hit with an ugly stick, some get really pretty.

Last edited by NoOne; 08-22-2019 at 11:40 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:28 PM   #5
Tram2Whitaker
All Star Reserve

Think of this game as D&D for baseball. No matter how ridiculously absurd an outcome, there is always the chance to roll a Nat 20, or Nat 1; there's just more factors, and more 'dice' being rolled simultaneously. It's all based on stats.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:31 PM   #6
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBallfan1 View Post
my question, is, how does player development work? is it jst throwing a ton of money at that stat, or does scouting and coaching play a role. Is there a player setting to control how fast, or slow development is, or is it just random?
Money makes a difference if you're using those budget item. As do coaches and managers (I'm pretty certain of that). There is a global setting for adjusting development rates on both sides of the growth and aging curve...you have to kind a play around with it to make it feel like you want it. There's also a factor you can adjust to increase or decrease the likelihood of random raw talent increases or decreases players might receive at any particular time.

I think there's probably some small influence based on a player's work ethic, and possibly even his intelligence...but I dunno there, either.

The aging curves are based on real baseball data, but since there is randomness inherent in its application, there are no sure things unless you just decide to turn it completely off.

In other words, like the real world, even if you think you know, you never really do.
RonCo is offline   Reply With Quote