Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:01 PM   #1
cbbl
All Star Starter

Skipping a season - historical or fictional leagues?

I tried looking this up, but all the threads I found on it were years old.

I'm thinking about restarting my fictional league to start before WW2. If I do, I'd like to suspend the league during the war years, much like many independent and minor leagues did. Can this be done in OOTP?

I'm wondering if I advance to the year (1941) and then manually delete the scheduled games, will the game advance? Other ideas?
Old 08-22-2019, 06:27 PM   #2
Ktulu
Hall Of Famer

I'd try manually deleting all the games. I think it should work, but there's only one way to find out. It's easy to fire up a new game to test it out. If it works in a test league, it should work in your league, but make sure to make a backup first.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:47 PM   #3
damoore46
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I haven't tried this at all, but could you load a schedule for the season that didn't have any games scheduled? That way, you could just sim the year, and wouldn't have to worry about deleting games. I would be afraid that by deleting games, some stats still might be affected.

David
Old 08-22-2019, 08:13 PM   #4
cbbl
All Star Starter

Yes, I'll have to experiment unless someone knows for sure.

One alternative I thought of is to run the league through the war years, but have a number of players out for military service...I can do that by customizing the "injury" list and having the length be multiple years.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:26 AM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

there's the league year, then there's a "historical year" value in the settings.

i don't know how ootp handles ww2, but you could 'skip' those years by changing the historical year to 1949, even though it;s 1942 in you rleague. that will import finance settings and stats and ai settings and such for 1949 in your league's 1942.

oh i misread... i'll leave that cause it still may be useful in different ways.

i think doing that will inevitably have negative impact on players.. if they don't play for a long time, they tend to fall apart, if not mistaken. you'd have to play out X years with no games --

when you 'end' a franchise, it's still there, at least historical data and history stuff... i don't know if it is resurrected if you bring it back into the league -- if it is the same city/nickname, it might take up the history again, or it might be a new franchise... trial and error, but if it picks back up, i think this is what would be best for you. remove them all then add them back after you sim through teh war years.

players not being on an active roster may be an issue... you may want to turn off certain things to minimize this problem while you sim through the war years. -- involving development, for example.

with a well sorted exported player list, you could copy the ratings before you start the sim, then re-paste their old ratings later. as long as it's sorted in same way, good chance you can do it easily. id's autoincrement, as long as you didn't purge or cause a re-arranging of them through some other function i can't think of.. the first X-thousand should all be in the same order.

Last edited by NoOne; 08-23-2019 at 12:29 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:19 AM   #6
cbbl
All Star Starter

Yep. Lots of things to figure out. Originally I was thinking of starting a league in the thirties, but now I'm thinking of going back farther -- to the aughts. That will give me some years before I have to figure it out.

Even though I was born, raised, and live on the east coast, I keep starting fictional leagues on the west coast in an alternate history kind of idea. Basically as if the Pacific Coast League (though I use a different name and teams) managed to become a major league and...if I play long enough, ultimately absorbed the other major league clubs.

I like the idea of realism to some extent ... particularly in the stats and finances of the league. Some options -- like free agency -- I'll adopt much earlier than the major leagues did...basically take the California and PC Leagues "outlaw" status in the early 20th century and keep it there (within reason).

But that means I have to get OOTP to handle things carefully. Because OOTP is so focused on MLB rather than minor leagues like the PCL, I have to figure out how to get the settings to produce the right results in the early years.

Some things, like cutting off a season because of WW1, are easy... get to a certain point and eliminate all future games that season. WW2 poses a bigger challenge.

But, IRL, the PCL played through the war years, although a large number of players left for the war. The point about maintaining player ratings is a good one.

Maybe I'll start a thread as I begin to develop it to keep you guys interested and ensure that as I move forward I've got the best settings.