Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 11-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
zoomzilla
Minors (Double A)

How to raise number of stolen bases

In my league strategy I've changed stolen base frequency to "Very Frequent" and I'm still netting the same number of steals at the same percentage as modern day leagues.
I've done a lot of messing with the modifiers to get different effects and stats for my league and I'd like to double the number of stolen bases with effecting as little else as possible.
Is it possible to get this effect from tweaking the number underneath all the other batting modifiers? I see there is a field for "Stolen base attempts" and "stolen base attempt success %" I'm thinking of tweaking these numbers to about .400 (up from .261) and percentage to 1.000(down from 1.554) As I see it I will have more attempts at a lower success percentage, correct?
zoomzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
sprague
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzilla View Post
In my league strategy I've changed stolen base frequency to "Very Frequent" and I'm still netting the same number of steals at the same percentage as modern day leagues.
I've done a lot of messing with the modifiers to get different effects and stats for my league and I'd like to double the number of stolen bases with effecting as little else as possible.
Is it possible to get this effect from tweaking the number underneath all the other batting modifiers? I see there is a field for "Stolen base attempts" and "stolen base attempt success %" I'm thinking of tweaking these numbers to about .400 (up from .261) and percentage to 1.000(down from 1.554) As I see it I will have more attempts at a lower success percentage, correct?
The main changes are in the modifiers, not really if the set it to normal or often or whatnot.
i suggest you save your game as a qs, or template. load a new game and test various things each year. it will be dependant too on walks, hits

one game i like for example, fairly modern (normal stealing) but i up the success rate to 1.140, and the steal attempts around 1.400. Gives me a league leader in the 70-80's almost every year
but it gets slightly tweeked as i go along

best i can suggest
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Pretty close. Do you really want to lower the success rate by 55%? What is the current rate? If you lower the success rate too much it can have an effect on pitching by making it more dominant. It's always a good idea to make changes in a step wise manner so you can digest the effect on other parts of the game.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 11-03-2013 at 11:01 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
zoomzilla
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprague View Post
The main changes are in the modifiers, not really if the set it to normal or often or whatnot.
i suggest you save your game as a qs, or template. load a new game and test various things each year. it will be dependant too on walks, hits

one game i like for example, fairly modern (normal stealing) but i up the success rate to 1.140, and the steal attempts around 1.400. Gives me a league leader in the 70-80's almost every year
but it gets slightly tweeked as i go along

best i can suggest
I'm glad you gave me your numbers, I would have spent 5 more seasons coming to that conclusion. Those are just about right for the numbers I'm looking for. my leader had 84 and the next three were in the 60's.

[QUOTE=RchW;3596570]
Quote:
Is it possible to get this effect from tweaking the number underneath all the other batting modifiers? I see there is a field for "Stolen base attempts" and "stolen base attempt success %" I'm thinking of tweaking these numbers to about .400 (up from .261) and percentage to 1.000(down from 1.554) As I see it I will have more attempts at a lower success percentage, correct?[/QUOTE]

Pretty close. Do you really want to lower the success rate by 55%? What is the current rate? If you lower the success rate too much it can have an effect on pitching by making it more dominant. It's always a good idea to make changes in a step wise manner so you can digest the effect on other parts of the game.
I am trying to make pitching a little worse overall. I may raise the percentage a bit and lower the attempts a bit. Hopefully this will keep the numbers about the same but cause more runs scored and higher ERA. Thanks to both of you for the info. BTW, this league is going to have it's history erased and I will start "fresh" when I get these numbers properly tweaked so I'm not worried about messing anything up.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:25 AM   #5
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How fast or slow are your top SB leaders? how good are the Catchers?
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3596711
I use normal in both my MLB & EBL leagues. Modern 2013 Strategy for MLB 1986 for EBL.
Lewis Webber leads the EBL AL at 43 SB. He is a clone of Vince Coleman. He is hitting like .250 this year but only one team has a C with an arm under 5. The starting C's in the AL East has Arms of (based on standings) 10, 9, 5, 6, 7, 4.
Keith Fitzpatrick in the NL is a custom player and has a speed of 10 with 109 SB. Average arm in the NL is 6. Only Glenbard has anyone better then a 7. All 3 of their C's have 10 arms. Forgot Chevy's C but he only played in 96 games he also has an arm of 9.

For MLB Theo Radcliffe also has a speed of 10. Most AL MLB C's have arms averaging of 7.
Kevin France is a clone of Eddie Collins and 50 SB is his lowest in his career.
Not sure what Billy Hamilton speed/SB rating is this year but he has 109? SB in 2015. Most NL C's have arms of 6. i would have to double check on Hamilton and who else is great in the NL for C's
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #6
sprague
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
How fast or slow are your top SB leaders? how good are the Catchers?
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3596711
I use normal in both my MLB & EBL leagues. Modern 2013 Strategy for MLB 1986 for EBL.
Lewis Webber leads the EBL AL at 43 SB. He is a clone of Vince Coleman. He is hitting like .250 this year but only one team has a C with an arm under 5. The starting C's in the AL East has Arms of (based on standings) 10, 9, 5, 6, 7, 4.
Keith Fitzpatrick in the NL is a custom player and has a speed of 10 with 109 SB. Average arm in the NL is 6. Only Glenbard has anyone better then a 7. All 3 of their C's have 10 arms. Forgot Chevy's C but he only played in 96 games he also has an arm of 9.

For MLB Theo Radcliffe also has a speed of 10. Most AL MLB C's have arms averaging of 7.
Kevin France is a clone of Eddie Collins and 50 SB is his lowest in his career.
Not sure what Billy Hamilton speed/SB rating is this year but he has 109? SB in 2015. Most NL C's have arms of 6. i would have to double check on Hamilton and who else is great in the NL for C's
the game is making valid points.
my mods work for me based on runners, catchers, hitting, walk totals
your league wont be the same as my league

so try mine as a test for a few seasons then you will see where you have to make changes along the way
Old 11-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
zoomzilla
Minors (Double A)

The stolen base modifiers don't stay saved like the other modifiers. Is there some way I can get them to stay the same each season?
Old 11-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
sprague
All Star Starter

Quote:
The stolen base modifiers don't stay saved like the other modifiers. Is there some way I can get them to stay the same each season?
all modifiers change, the basic numbers- ab, h, 2b ect dont
in essence the game said say a 2013 stealing # was 1.011, but I decided it is now 1.400 asi want more steals

but my next season when i recalc, it might be .995. So I bump it up again, a little less, say 1.390 due to the recalcs drop

will have to do it all manually each april
Old 11-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hmmm modifiers don't change unless you have a setting that allows the game to change them or change them like sprague. This applies to SB success and attempts and HR doubles or strikeouts. Anything on the screen shot below.
Attached Images

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 11-04-2013 at 08:06 PM. Reason: some things just don't change
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
zoomzilla
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Hmmm modifiers don't change unless you have a setting that allows the game to change them or change them like sprague. This applies to SB success and attempts and HR doubles or strikeouts. Anything on the screen shot below.

Ok, so I change the numbers on the left, like AB, Hits, doubles, etc. Then I click auto-calc modifiers. The raw numbers stay the same unless I change them. However, each new season the numbers below- such as stolen base attempts, stolen base success percentage, etc change back to their default numbers. for instance, each time I re-auto-calc the numbers for SB and SB% go back to the 2012 defaults(something close to .256 for SB attempts and 1.500 for success rate)
I want those numbers to stay the way I set them. Is this possible?

Also, all my stats are pretty much where I want them in a home run depleted league. the only problem is that RBI are too low, league leader is lucky to get 120 in a 154 game schedule. Is there something I can do to up the RBI total without touching hits, doubles, triples, HR, BB, HBP, K's. Here are my numbers(I don't know how do do a screenshot) please tell me if something is way off.

154 games
AB 171000
H 48250
2B 14200
3B 4900
HR 855
BB 18150
HBP 1650
K 33125
BABIP .310

SB Attempt 1.300
SB %1.000

My runs per game (4.8) is slightly higher than modern but I'd like to see it come up over 5 yet I still want .400 to be the benchmark. Is this possible? My top batter is always over .400 so I just stretch the AB total higher and higher.... is there a statistical answer for this problem?
Old 11-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
sprague
All Star Starter

Quote:
Ok, so I change the numbers on the left, like AB, Hits, doubles, etc. Then I click auto-calc modifiers. The raw numbers stay the same unless I change them. However, each new season the numbers below- such as stolen base attempts, stolen base success percentage, etc change back to their default numbers. for instance, each time I re-auto-calc the numbers for SB and SB% go back to the 2012 defaults(something close to .256 for SB attempts and 1.500 for success rate)
I want those numbers to stay the way I set them. Is this possible?

Also, all my stats are pretty much where I want them in a home run depleted league. the only problem is that RBI are too low, league leader is lucky to get 120 in a 154 game schedule. Is there something I can do to up the RBI total without touching hits, doubles, triples, HR, BB, HBP, K's. Here are my numbers(I don't know how do do a screenshot) please tell me if something is way off.

154 games
AB 171000
H 48250
2B 14200
3B 4900
HR 855
BB 18150
HBP 1650
K 33125
BABIP .310

SB Attempt 1.300
SB %1.000

My runs per game (4.8) is slightly higher than modern but I'd like to see it come up over 5 yet I still want .400 to be the benchmark. Is this possible? My top batter is always over .400 so I just stretch the AB total higher and higher.... is there a statistical answer for this problem?
my guess might be the high walk totals
drop em to 17000, even 16,000 to see what happens
runs per game will drop due to low extra base hits, you may have to boost those slightly