Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #21
mgoetze
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zroberts1991 View Post
When I say Latin America Im mainly referring to DR, Cuba, Venezuela and PR. And yes, in those countries baseball is the main sport.
Well, it certainly helps your point to ignore the other 90% of Latin America.
mgoetze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #22
Lafayette53
Major Leagues

Quote:
When I say Latin America Im mainly referring to DR, Cuba, Venezuela and PR. And yes, in those countries baseball is the main sport.
Its also #2 or #3 in several other countries in the Central American area as well, but Assc. Football is definitely more popular on the continent overall.
Lafayette53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #23
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoetze View Post
Oh yes, wow, some 30,000 people play organised baseball in Germany (Soccer: 6.8 Million). Way to completely disprove my point.
Germany is the 3rd best European baseball league and several German players have played in the American minor leagues.

So no, baseball's not popular in Germany if you compare it to soccer. But baseball is popular in Germany compared to many other nations. So it's a little unfair to say that baseball is "completely unknown" in Germany.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 05-25-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #24
zroberts1991
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoetze View Post
Oh yes, wow, some 30,000 people play organised baseball in Germany (Soccer: 6.8 Million). Way to completely disprove my point.
Im glad you've been able to contribute so much insight into this topic
zroberts1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #25
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Im glad you've been able to contribute so much insight into this topic
Given his username I think it's safe to say he's having a bad day
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #26
Tom the Fish
All Star Reserve

While Baseball is a popular sport in Japan, it's nowhere as popular as I was led to believe before living here.
Tom the Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #27
SetonHallPirate
Minors (Triple A)

It surprises me that none of the countries where cricket is popular (save Australia and perhaps some of the West Indian nations) have had many players convert to baseball, with such a similar skillset required. Certainly, there is more money that can be made in professional baseball (particularly at the Major League level) than in first-class cricket (for instance, an A-level central contract for the Indian national team is worth about $180,000 per year).
SetonHallPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:50 PM   #28
Nugget699
Major Leagues

It seems a lot of you would be interested in this book.
Nugget699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #29
zroberts1991
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget699 View Post
It seems a lot of you would be interested in this book.
Looks good, thanks for the suggestion.

And I may be headed out to Japan soon so I am curious what its really like out there. You're right, the impression Im given is that its very popular out there, but from what you've said I guess not..
zroberts1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #30
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom the Fish View Post
While Baseball is a popular sport in Japan, it's nowhere as popular as I was led to believe before living here.
What would you say it's level of popularity is? 1 - 10 scale? What is more popular then baseball?
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:20 AM   #31
WestyQld2
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
What would you say it's level of popularity is? 1 - 10 scale? What is more popular then baseball?
Soccer. Baseball is still massive in Japan, the *** is the second most attended sport in the world behind MLB. Baseball is amazing in Asia, I like the atmosphere much more than an MLB or MiLB game, but that's just me.

Can I point out baseball, compared to other sports in Australia, is very small and due to it no longer being in the Olympics. Like.. 12th or 13th most played sport here unfortunately.

Baseball and cricket, despite similar skill sets are still different. It's like comparing rugby to American football. As for money, there is plenty in cricket. National team contracts only make up a very small percentage of it.

MS Dhoni earns over $30 million a year.
Plus the average career of a first class cricketer is over twice as much as a Major League Baseball player (5.6 years).

There is a lot of risk trying your hand at a professional career in baseball even if you sign as an international free agent with less than 5% of minor leaguers making it to the Majors.
WestyQld2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #32
Andriko
Minors (Single A)

Nugget already posted the book I was going to post. But the game was popular in the UK for a while. Infact, team GB beat Team USA in the first ever World Baseball Competition, they also hosted it:

Baseball World Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sadly it's never been that easy to play in my lifetime, which means I have never actually played a game. I have thought about trying to join one of the london teams, but somehow I think a 28yr old with wonky knees whose never swung a bat before doesn't have a hope in hell of making a team (unless there is a geriatrick league I can join)!

As for the comparison between cricket and baseball, the only things in common are both games involve hitting a ball with a bat. That's about it. Cricket has none of the sophistication that comes with baseball, like base runners, stolen bases, advancing runners etc.
Andriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #33
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Baseball seem to be really popular in Canada, supplanting the CFL for #2 behind hockey, with the zenith seemingly being around the late 70's to 1993. We had quite a few minor league teams all across the country, semi pro leagues, you name it.

Then the strike showed up.

Now outside of the GTA I've yet to know anyone that follows the game in my travels across most of the country. There's the IBL with some teams in SW Ontario (picture AA ball with terrible parks that almost no-one cares about), a single A team in Vancouver (a city of roughly two million with a single A team), and one or two semi-pro leagues out east. I'd even venture to say that it's #4 behind the CFL and soccer depending on area. Pretty sad for a country that has had baseball played there since 1837.

Disclaimer: My own impression and observations. Small sample size. As I've never been to Western Canada observations there are not as reliable. All rights reserved.

PT22

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote