Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:40 PM   #221
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

June 16, 1986

It's a trade! And look who's involved … Cleveland! They send prospects (!) Chris Padget and Junior Noboa to Minnesota for reliever Ken Schrom. Not sure why the 31-31 Indians, who are 11.5 games behind Boston, are making deals like this. But then again … they're the Indians.

Meantime, we're starting a series in Chicago. You know what that means … craziness!

Game 1986-61: Wrigley Field - Cubs 8, Phillies 3 / 35-26

We tie the game at 3-3 in the seventh inning, but then it goes awry. And you can thank Jay Howell for that - he hasn't been very solid this year (17 IP, 4.24 ERA, 16 K, 10 BB), further showing that either I'm not good at finding relief talent on the free agent market, or that it's just not the way to go anyway. To our credit, however, Rickey Henderson and Glenn Wilson both homer, and Steve Jeltz triples.

June 17, 1986

Back to UL Washington trade options, and if we take on 80 percent of his salary, we could get a prospect. The only team offering players on minor league deals (and thus players that don't have to be on a 40-man roster) is the Tigers, so we'll start talking to them.

Game 1986-62: Wrigley Field - Cubs 4, Phillies 3 / 35-27

This one hurts. Down 4-3 in the ninth, with Steve Jeltz on third and one out, Von Hayes flies one to center field. Oddibe McDowell catches it, then throws a strike to the plate. Jeltz is out, Cubs win. Sure, Darren Daulton homers, and Paul Molitor strikes three hits, but we lose. Stinks that we're at least losing two to the Cubs after sweeping the Expos.

June 18, 1986

Really need a win today, and how about some offense?

Game 1986-63: Wrigley Field - Cubs 7, Phillies 3 / 35-28

Yuck. After sweeping Montreal, we're swept in Chicago and are now just a half-game ahead of the Cubs. Mike Schmidt and Rickey Henderson both homer, and Blaise Ilsley makes his major league debut, striking out his first batter. But still … shoot. We're now 10.5 games behind the Mets.

Big news elsewhere: Don Sutton earns his 300th major league win as the Blue Jays beat the Brewers. He's the 17th pitcher to reach 300. Meantime, Nolan Ryan hit 250 as well, and he's 38th all-time on the list.

During the afternoon we engage a bit with the Tigers. The best offers they're throwing at us for UL are:
  • SP - Don Woyce - 23 - 34/34 - 35 stuff / 35 movement / 35 control
  • SP - Rick Rodriguez - 25 - 32/32 - 40 / 35 / 40
  • RP - Kevin Ochs - 25 - 33/33 - 50 / 35 / 35
  • RF - Jim Daughtery - 25 - 36/38 - 45 contact / 50 gap / 35 home run / 50 eye / 50 avoid Ks

Not the best list, but that's to be expected. We find out the Yankees are also interested and would give up a minor league contract, long as we eat 90 percent of Washington's salary (I don't mind if I eat all of it, to be honest). The best of the lot is 24-year-old catcher Bob Caffrey (25/36). We could actually use a catcher at this point, especially down in the high-A / AA level.

June 19, 1986

We have a relatively big four-game set on deck with the Cardinals. Three of four would be terrific and would put us ahead of them.

Game 1986-64: Veterans Stadium - Cardinals 8, Phillies 4 / 35-29

An uninspired (redacted) fest. John Denny pukes up another bad one, giving up five runs (though it's two earned) in less than four frames and raising his ERA to a worrisome 4.48. The offense gets going a little later, helped by a Von Hayes double (he's up to .195!).

I look at Denny's game log, and he's given up four or more runs (earned and unearned) seven times in 13 starts. His high game score this year is 67 (May 5 vs Montreal).

Compare that to our best pitcher Kevin Gross, who in 13 starts has give up four or more runs just twice, and has reached or amassed a 67 game score nine times. Yes, NINE TIMES. (Sorry, everyone's talking about the new John Hughes comedy Ferris Bueller's Day Off.)

All this to say I'm starting to wonder about Denny's future. He's a free agent after this season (and a Type A very likely), so we could hold onto him and see if he fetches us back a first-rounder next year, or we could deal him before the deadline, betting his value still could be decent. It should be - he's still just 33 and is coming off a solid three-season run in the National League that includes a Cy Young.

In fact, since coming to Philly in 1982, Denny has gone 47-30 with a 2.95 ERA, 468 K, and 197 BB, worth 21.3 WAR. That's pretty darn good. So maybe he has value. Or we could gamble when the season ends. We'll see.

June 20, 1986

Early in the day, news breaks that the Mets have extended Jesse Orosco for two years and $960K. He'll be a free agent after 1988.

Game 1986-65: Veterans Stadium - Cardinals 3, Phillies 2 / 35-30

Not looking good for us. Up 2-0, but the Cardinals get three in the seventh on back-to-back home runs by Steve Balboni amd Darrell Porter. The 34 home runs between them equal the number of'em I get from Mike Schmidt, Rickey Henderson, Von Hayes, Juan Samuel, and Darren Daulton. We're now 12.5 games behind the Mets and fading fast.

June 21, 1986

It's Steve Carlton against Bert Blyleven here. Number of strikeouts between them: 6,956.

Game 1986-66: Veterans Stadium - Cardinals 10, Phillies 1 / 35-31

It's getting ugly. A bunch of errors, Steve Carlton pitching poorly, and yet another offensive turd mean we're nearly out of the NL East race by late June.

June 22, 1986

In the NL All-Star voting update, Mike Schmidt is 1st among first basemen still, Paul Molitor is hanging on in third among third basemen, Rickey Henderson is also in third at center field, and both Charles Hudson and Larry Andersen are fifth among starting and relief pitchers.

We need, need, need a win today.

Game 1986-67: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 9, Cardinals 8 (10) / 36-31

A temporary reprieve, and boy what a way to get it. Charles Hudson doesn't pitch well, surrendering five runs in three innings. We're down 5-0, then 5-3 after a big Von Hayes home run (now at .197!), then 6-3. But then we seize the lead with a four-run fifth, including a Rickey Henderson homer. Cards tie it and take the lead in the ninth off Todd Worrell, but we get one back in the bottom half thanks to a Mike Schmidt single. In the 10th, Paul Molitor's fourth hit scores Jim Eisenreich, handing us the W.

New power rankings. We are no longer in the top-five:

1. New York Mets - 50-18
2. Toronto Blue Jays - 46-24
3. Boston Red Sox - 47-22
4. Cincinnati Reds - 42-25
5. Los Angeles Dodgers - 41-28

We are ninth.

June 23, 1986

We check back in with the Tigers, and it's the same old offers for UL Washington. Might need a new approach if we're going to move on from this.

Three coming with the Cubs. Man, do we need wins. Paul Molitor is benched today for rest (well, I guess we don't *need* the wins), and Mike Schmidt moves to third base for the first time since 1984.

Game 1986-68: Veterans Stadium - Cubs 6, Phillies 3 (14) / 36-31

Infuriating loss. It's tied 3-3 in the fourth and stays that way forever. Later in the game, sometime in extra innings when all we need is one stupid run, we load the bases with nobody out and not score. A couple innings later, of course, the Cubs load the bases with nobody on and score three. Von Hayes is killing us, with an 0-for-5 bringing him to .198. Time for a true benching. Rickey Henderson's one-for-seven doesn't help us much, either.

June 24, 1986

We call a few more teams who had some initial interest in UL Washington, and the Cubs say they would entertain some options. We like reliever Scott Ninneman, a 23-year-old in AA with a 3.48 ERA this season and 6.1 K/9. Not bad, though nothing overpowering at the moment. Still, there's potential. We inquire.

For tonight's game, we bench Hayes. Naturally. Also, Henderson. Surprisingly. And a shake-up lineup from Dick Howser:

3B Paul Molitor
C Darren Daulton
RF Enos Cabell
1B Mike Schmidt
CF Jim Eisenreich
RF Glenn Wilson
2B Juan Samuel
SS Steve Jeltz

Game 1986-69: Veterans Stadium - Cubs 4, Phillies 1 / 36-33

It's really looking like the end. Eisenreich gets hurt early, so that's bad news, while the new-look lineup really doesn't do anything. Also, another four-run outing from John Denny. This homestand is showing us that there probably isn't a way we win this division.

June 25, 1986

We get an early morning call from Dan Kacala, GM of the Cubs. Maybe he's feeling charitable because his team is kicking our butt, but he approves the trade to send Scott Ninneman our way in exchange for UL Washington.

I tell Dan we'll accept the trade after today's game, just so we don't have to send someone all the way over from Portland and have a shorter roster. Also, I tell him we'll bench UL, just in case.

Game 70 and our season is on life support. Gregg Jefferies will be with the team in St. Louis, and it's possible another prospect gets a shot, as well, depending on how things are with Eisenreich.

Game 1986-70: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 11, Cubs 1 / 37-33

Why couldn't we take four of these runs and add them to our Monday score, then another four and add them to our Tuesday score? Why is it we score ELEVEN here? Anyway, good games for just about everyone, with Rickey Henderson homering (his 10th), Glenn Wilson and Von Hayes hitting doubles, and Scott Sanderson going 7.1 strong. We're still 14.5 games behind the 52-19 Mets. Shudder.

Once the game ends, I call back Dan Kacala and execute the UL Washington deal.

TRADE

To Chicago Cubs
  • SS UL Washington (20 percent of contract)

To Philadelphia Phillies
  • RP Scott Ninneman

Apparently we're told the fans aren't very happy about the trade. Well, whatever, because they'll be very happy once they learn who's coming to Philly.
  • SS Gregg Jefferies promoted to MLB Philadelphia

The 18-year-old wunderkind shortstop is the No. 4 prospect in Major League Baseball. On the season at AA Reading he's hit .337/.384/.487 with 32 extra-base hits in 328 plate appearances. Also, with superior defense at shortstop (+11.3 ZR, 1.077 EFF), he's been worth 4.8 WAR so far.

Let's start with the offense. Jefferies puts the ball in play a ton, barely striking out (10 this season in 328 AA plate appearances) but also still developing his patience (25 walks this season). There's good news, though: Jefferies has a highly advanced, plus-plus hit tool (70) and plus-plus speed (75). He will hit infield singles, stretch singles to doubles, and steal when possible. But better, he carries plus-plus gap power ability already, proving it with 24 doubles so far in 1986. The power still has a way to go, but at his peak he might be able to hit 20. No worries there: He could also peak as a .330/.420 type with 40 stolen bases. We're talking a short-list MVP candidate at his best.

Defensively, Jefferies is very good at shortstop, and that carries over with better-than-average play at both second base and third base. He has great range, and while he isn't flashy, he makes a lot of plays and is smart on the diamond.

All in all, we're talking a kid who can be a foundational piece for a pennant winner.

I follow the team to St. Louis blasting Kenny Loggins' Vox Humana. There's no lookin' back, indeed.

Last edited by The_Myth; 05-21-2021 at 12:21 PM.
The_Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 12:46 AM   #222
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

June 26, 1986

Time to promote some minor leaguers. But first, let’s look at how the rookie leaguers are doing. First in Utica:
  • SS - Edgar Naveda (19, 1986, 8th round) - 152 PA, .302/.401/.535, 15 XBH, 18 BB, 7 K, 6 SB, 2.3 WAR
  • 3B - Carlos Baerga (17, 1986, 1st round) - 151 PA, .302/.404/.444, 13 XBH, 21 BB, 21 K, 7 SB, 0.7 WAR
  • 2B - Cesar Bernhardt (17, 1986, 17th round) - 143 PA, .308/.357/.454, 12 XBH, 9 BB, 15 K, 11 SB, 0.9 WAR

Each member of the infield trio is ready to move to A Spartanburg, though these are some young studs.
  • SP - Walt Williams (21, 1986, 26th round) - 53.2 IP, 2.68 ERA, 3.79 FIP, 49 K, 28 BB, 0.8 WAR
  • SP - Paul McClellan (20, 1986, 12th round) - 47.1 IP, 4.37 ERA, 3.67 FIP, 42 K, 21 BB, 0.8 WAR
  • SP - Paul Abbott (18, 1985, 21st round) - 45.2 IP, 2.96 ERA, 2.99 FIP, 48 K, 28 BB, 1.2 WAR
  • SP - Mike Carista (19, 1985, 17th round) - 42.1 IP, 4.25 ERA, 2.65 FIP, 37 K, 15 BB

You can also make a case for each of these guys. But let’s start at the top and see if anyone is ready for a jump from AA to AAA:
  • CF/RF/LF Luis Polonia promoted to AAA Portland
  • RF/CF Bernie Anderson promoted to AA Reading
  • CF/LF Scott Hufford promoted to A Clearwater
  • CF Randy Salava released
  • RP Jerry Arnold released
  • RP David Bulls released
  • RP Damon Dombek released
  • RP Daniel Roma released

Polonia was more than ready, and his pipeline in the outfield could also push upward. I got rid of a bunch of no-name relievers (as well as some veterans taking up space in extended spring training) and cleaned things out a bit. Jeff King is pushing on a spot in AA Reading, but I need to figure out what to do with Ricky Jordan first. He’s having a poor season there.

June 27, 1986

Well, we’re all in St. Louis. Gregg Jefferies’ family is also at Busch Stadium, flying in from California. He bats eighth tonight in the first of a three-game set. Lefty is on the mound.

Game 1986-71: Busch Stadium - Cardinals 2, Phillies 0 / 37-34

The new guy doesn’t change anything yet. Just putrid offensive performance, as we squander big opportunities early and not get close late. Once again, Von Hayes comes up short, as do Schmidty and Glenn Wilson. We need these guys. Our hitting coach is supposed to be a power guru - where is he?

June 28, 1986

We have a trade: Minnesota sends RF Duane Walker to Montreal for C Tony Pena. Walker has been a nice bench bat this season, while Pena is nothing more than a suitable backup. Bench for bench here.

Meanwhile, the White Sox propose a trade: SP Tom Seaver for 1B Enos Cabell and SS Gregg Jefferies. Geez, this is the worst time of year. I need a drink.

We need a rebound tonight from Charles Hudson. I need more to drink. Maybe some cocaine.

Game 1986-72: Busch Stadium - Cardinals 2, Phillies 1 / 37-35

Cards win in the ninth. Our offense once again stinks, wasting a great Charles Hudson start. Just atrocious. Things might need to change before long.

June 29, 1986

We’re now 16 behind New York and just about done. The all-star voting update is the same as before. I’m pissed.

Here’s the deal: It’s nearly July and this is what I’m getting from Von Hayes:
  • 279 PA, .200/.288/.343, 19 XBH, 31 BB, 34 K, 12 SB, 1.1

He was worth 7.1 WAR last season, but I wasn’t expecting that. I was expecting more like 4-5 WAR, and right now he’s trending toward maybe 2 WAR. Along with that my power continues to be dead, so I wonder if my strategy of speed all day is actually hurting me. Maybe.

At this point I’m thinking we’ll be clear sellers at the deadline, but again, not radically so. We’ll look to deal one of our starting pitchers (likely John Denny) and a bench bat and reliever (Enos Cabell likely, Larry Andersen maybe). I want to give our young guys a chance to play a lot down the stretch, but I still obviously want to keep my vets in there as well. Anyway, this is looking like a lost campaign. What hurts is I just want more Von Hayes and a little more Schmidty. This regression just sucks.

Time to probably get owned by Joaquin Andujar again.

Game 1986-73: Busch Stadium - Phillies 10, Cardinals 4 / 38-35

Once again, we outscore our opponent in the series (11-8) but lose the thing 2-1. Gregg Jefferies collects his first major league hit, a double, then hits another later to score a run. He also steals two bags. Welcome to the show, kid.

Elsewhere, Von Hayes - in the five-hole - and Rickey Henderson both homer.

On Saturday (yesterday), the game between the Mets and Cubs got hairy. In the fourth, as the Mets were piling onto the Cubs, Chicago pitcher Len Damian hit Kevin Mitchell with a pitch. Then, Mitchell charged the mound. On a 1-2 count with the game still in hand, it doesn’t seem as if Damian was trying to hit Mitchell, but oh well. Today, both players got eight-game suspensions.

New power rankings:

1. New York Mets - 54-20
2. Toronto Blue Jays - 49-27
3. Boston Red Sox - 50-25
4. Seattle Mariners - 45-32
5. Los Angeles Dodgers - 46-29

We’re 12th. Yuck.

June 30, 1986

A trade: Kansas City sends RP Willie Hernandez (former Phillie) to Minnesota for prospects Tom Schwarz and Walter Stull. Hernandez has a 3.14 ERA in 14.1 innings this season.

On the homefront, I get a call from Enos Cabell’s agent, who says his client would like more playing time. Well, maybe he’ll get a little more with the team performing poorly, but I hope he doesn’t expect a starting spot. Anyway, we’re open to dealing him.

Game 1986-74: Three Rivers Stadium - Pirates 3, Phillies 1 / 38-36

Same old crap. Can’t score until the ninth, and even with second and third with one out … nothing. It’s comical. We can barely hit balls out of the infield. Gregg Jefferies goes 2-for-4 with a double.

Tough news out of Clearwater: RP Woodrow Broussard is out for about a year, needing elbow reconstruction surgery. He’s 24, and the clock is really ticking for him.

July 1, 1986

Now that we’re in July, the trade discourse will begin to get a bit louder. But first, let’s get through this damn series.

Game 1986-75: Three Rivers Stadium - Pirates 6, Phillies 5 (10) / 38-37

And when we actually score, we can’t win. Nothing more to say.

July 2, 1986

Game 1986-76: Three Rivers Stadium - POSTPONED

Well, I guess that’s fine.

Also, the Mets got Mike Easler from the Royals.

July 3, 1986

We went 13-16 in June, which actually isn’t that bad, when you think about it. It just seems a lot worse. I just wish we hit better.

Now, onto strategy, as it’s July. We’re probably out of it, now behind the Mets by 16 games, and we’ll want to sell a bit. Let’s look through the roster to get a sense of the group:
  • C - Darren Daulton - 246 PA, .207/.339/.333, 12 XBH, 40 BB, 46 K, 8 SB, 1.1 WAR
  • 1B - Mike Schmidt - 303 PA, .273/.327/.418, 21 XBH, 24 BB, 43 K, 1.2 WAR
  • 2B - Juan Samuel - 314 PA, .257/.299/.397, 27 XBH, 15 K, 72 K, 18 SB, 0.7 WAR
  • 3B - Paul Molitor - 325 PA, .324/.366/.430, 20 XBH, 24 BB, 33 K, 25 SB, 2.7 WAR
  • SS - Steve Jeltz - 134 PA, .264/.336/.339, 7 XBH, 13 BB, 20 K, 0.3 WAR
  • LF - Von Hayes - 293 PA, .202/.288/.349, 20 XBH, 32 BB, 36 K, 12 SB, 1.3 WAR
  • CF - Rickey Henderson - 338 PA, .303/.392/.490, 31 XBH, 43 BB, 37 K, 53 SB, 4.1 WAR
  • RF - Glenn Wilson - 225 PA, .327/.366/.498, 21 XBH, 13 BB, 27 K, 1.9 WAR

For all the talk about Hayes regressing and Schmidt getting older, I barely talk about Daulton and Samuel, who are both in their third seasons and haven’t yet solidified themselves as real offensive threats. Here’s Daulton’s career so far:
  • 1984 - 201 PA, .200/.303/.354, 6 2B, 3 3B, 5 HR, 15 RBI, 26 BB, 47 K, 1.2 WAR
  • 1985 - 511 PA, .222/.354/.390, 13 2B, 6 3B, 15 HR, 54 RBI, 86 BB, 98 K, 17 SB, 3.6 WAR
  • 1986 - 246 PA, .207/.339/.333, 4 2B, 3 3B, 5 HR, 40 BB, 46 K, 8 SB, 1.1 WAR.

He’s 14th among all catchers in WAR. He doesn’t have to be incredible offensively, but we’d like to see more contact and a power boost. He’s not very far off from ‘85, which admittedly was a good season for him. I’m not sour on him, and I’m certainly not thinking about replacements in ‘87, but not having a better bat here is hurting us a little.

Then there’s Samuel, who has less of an excuse. Here’s his career so far:
  • 1984 - 691 PA, .303/.350/.498, 36 2B, 18 3B, 17 HR, 71 RBI, 43 BB, 142 K, 65 SB, 5.4 WAR
  • 1985 - 668 PA, .248/.283/.410, 29 2B, 14 3B, 15 HR, 86 RBI, 26 BB, 107 K, 64 SB, 2.2 WAR
  • 1986 - 314 PA, .257/.299/.397, 19 2B, 2 3B, 6 HR, 34 RBI, 15 BB, 72 K, 18 SB, 0.7 WAR

He had that phenomenal rookie season, then slumped terribly in ‘85, though he kept up his stolen base numbers, struck out less, and improved his defense. We considered that progress. This year his defense is even better (-1.5 ZR, .984 EFF), but his offense is nosediving. Part of the problem might be that he’s hitting far down in the order. And … maybe part of the problem is Rickey Henderson.

So here’s a thought: Getting Henderson was an exercise in too much of a good thing. What we probably needed going into 1986 was power; instead, we doubled down on speed and tilted the scales so far that we had to interrupt other players’ natural progressions. Hayes took a major hit this year, and Samuel is feeling it, too. I wonder if I messed around too much with their heads.

We’ll stay with Sammy through this year, and his arbitration years begin next year, so we have to just be judicious. (Ryne Sandberg happens to be a free agent next year, but I have to think the Cubs will want to extend, and if not, we can spend in better ways down the road … seriously). But I think we have to talk about putting him back in the two behind Rickey, moving Von to the five or six (or seven) and sticking with it.

Now, as for 1987, we seem to be locked in offensively (just with Jefferies likely at shortstop instead of Jeltz). The pitching staff is another story. John Denny is a Type-A free agent, and here’s his Phillies career, starting in 1983:
  • 1983 - 242.2 IP, 19-6, 2.37 ERA, 139 K, 53 BB, 7.1 WAR (NL Cy Young)
  • 1984 - 190 IP, 9-9, 3.27 ERA, 105 K, 41 BB, 4.5 WAR
  • 1985 - 234.2 IP, 15-9, 2.68 ERA, 145 K, 68 BB, 6.8 WAR
  • 1986 - 92.1 IP, 4-6, 4.29 ERA, 69 K, 31 BB, 2.5 WAR

On one hand it’s a relatively clear regression, but on the other hand you’d expect the ERA not to jump into the 4 range yet. That said, he has a 3.15 FIP, which is right in line with regular regression. Anyway, we can expect a better second half. Do we want to re-sign him? He’ll only continue to regress negatively. So do we want to risk holding onto him through October and hoping a team signs him, giving us a first-round pick? It could happen. It might happen. But trends these days show once a player gets into his age-33 season, the odds a team signs him as a free agent dwindle. And when he’s a free agent, Denny would be 34. Denny could fetch a decent prospect or two on the market. We’ll want either pitching or outfield power, I imagine. We’ll listen.

Then there’s Scott Sanderson, also a Type-A free agent. His run since 1984:
  • 1984 - 59.2 IP, 2-6, 4.22 ERA, 38 K, 13 BB, 1.6 WAR
  • 1985 - 220.2 IP, 16-10, 3.18 ERA, 142 K, 47 BB, 5.0 WAR
  • 1986 - 105.1 IP, 7-4, 2.99 ERA, 61 K, 25 BB, 2.1 WAR

He might have more value than Denny right now. But he’s more likely to snag a free agent contract in the offseason. Sanderson was a coup for us - great value who is having his finest seasons as a Phillie. But we have a decision to make with him.

I imagine we’ll deal one of these guys, or at least try to. Blaise Ilsley can step in. Mike Maddux and Kelly Downs (seriously) deserve more chances. If we’re out this much now, why not let the kids step in and make their cases for 1987?

There’s one more free-agent-to-be we need to address: Steve Carlton. Since 1984:
  • 1984 - 197.1 IP, 8-9, 3.38 ERA, 142 K, 63 BB, 5.7 WAR
  • 1985 - 197.1 IP, 11-8, 2.92 ERA, 122 K, 68 BB, 4.5 WAR
  • 1986 - 72.1 IP, 2-6, 3.98 ERA, 58 K, 32 BB, 1.3 WAR

Bill Giles wants him back in 1987. He can still pitch, but how much will he be able to pitch? I imagine if necessary I could move him to the bullpen as a specialty lefty, a la Tug McGraw in 1985. Heck, Tugger wasn’t good but we hid him well enough, and it paid off. Chances are decent we bring Lefty back and let him go on an award tour. Just looking for the right spot.

OK. Soon we’ll talk targets. Now we’re home against 47-29 Cincinnati for four. Lefty on the mound. Gregg Jefferies is playing his first home game. We need to play well. A new lineup, too, after my chat with Dick Howser:

CF - Rickey Henderson
2B - Juan Samuel
3B - Paul Molitor
1B - Mike Schmidt
LF - Von Hayes
RF - Glenn Wilson
C - Darren Daulton
SS - Gregg Jefferies

Game 1986-76: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 9, Reds 4 / 39-37

One of those offensive breakouts we’ve been missing. Rickey gets on three times via the walk and steals a base. Samuel with three hits and two steals. Schmidty strikes three hits, including two doubles, and drives in four. Carlton guts through 7.1 innings with five strikeouts. And the runs overcome another good game from MVP candidate Eric Davis, who hits his 22nd home run. The kid is special.

July 4, 1986

Happy Independence Day, and we continue the long weekend series with Cincinnati. But first, bad news, as Portland 1B Francisco Melendez goes on the shelf with an oblique strain. The 22-year-old is hitting .296/.353/.354 in his second season in AAA. He’s been the model of consistency in the minors, good for something around .295/.350/.400, though this season his power has been zapped a bit. He’s a dark horse to make my roster in 1987.

Also, Yankees GM Sean Healy calls me with a trade proposal: SP Steve Trout for Enos Cabell and Gregg Jefferies. We’re going to get these proposals now, are we?

Game 1986-77: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 4, Reds 2 / 40-37

A good, good win. Tie game until the seventh, when Rickey Henderson hits an RBI single, and Juan Samuel follows it up with a fielder’s choice grounder to score another. Not a lot of hits, but they matter.Charles Hudson strikes out eight in eight innings, a solid bounceback, while Todd Worrell earns his second save with a decent ninth.

Meanwhile, a Fourth of July no-no in Toronto. 21-year-old rookie Greg Swindell of California baffles the hard-hitting Blue Jays. It’s the season’s fourth no-hitter.

July 5, 1986

Third game against the Reds, and we get a terrific Tom Browning (12-4, 2.28 ERA). For us, it’s our terrific Kevin Gross (8-2, 2.35 ERA).

Game 1986-78: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 7, Reds 6 / 41-37

Gregg Jefferies! The rookie hits his first major league home run in a huge spot, untying the game in the eighth with what would be the winning run. Rickey Henderson also knocks a homer, his 12th. Good to be on a roll. Not the most effective start for Gross (6 IP, 5 ER, 7 H, 4 K, 3 BB), and Larry Andersen naturally blows the lead, but Todd Worrell and Jay Howell pick it up on the back end. Oh, also hitting a home run tonight for the Reds: Bo Diaz. The former Phillie is hitting .320/.384/.446 in 251 PA for the Reds. What a world.

Meantime, a fight in Arlington! Dave Stieb hits Barry Bonds with a pitch, and the 21-year-old (who’s having a weird second season with a .238/.303/.463 line and 16 HR) goes after him. Bonds gets four games off, while Stieb gets eight.

July 6, 1986

First, all-star update: Same as it ever was, with Mike Schmidt (1st, 1B), Paul Molitor (3rd, 3B), Rickey Henderson (3rd, CF), Charles Hudson (5th, SP), and Larry Andersen (5th, RP) in the mix. But wait! Also Kevin Gross (4th, SP)!

Next, a trade. The Cardinals send prospect Kris Roth to Kansas City for SP Dennis Martinez and prospect LaVel Freeman. St. Louis is taking on a risk in Martinez, as he’s been mediocre but could be depth for a team in contention (eight back of New York).

It’s midseason report time.

Owner Bill Giles calls me into his office. It’s the same story as usual: he’s happy, but not really happy. He wants a better manager, saying “I want someone who’s at least got a Good reputation.” HOWSER HAS A GREAT REPUTATION. IT SAYS GREAT.

He also wants the Carlton extension; again, that isn’t hard to do, it’s more a matter of if I want to. Also, he’s not happy that my draft picks haven’t yet performed in the majors. I literally just brought two of them in over the last month, and they’ve given us 0.4 WAR. BE PATIENT, BILL.

Anyway, all good.

Final game of four and would love a sweep. John Denny goes against Mario Soto. And I’m taking a gamble with Paul Molitor getting a seat; Steve Jeltz plays third in his place (and will hit third).

Game 1986-79: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 7, Reds 4 / 42-37

A big sweep, and our best baseball of the season is happening right now. Glenn Wilson hits two home runs to up his total to eight, while Juan Samuel and Rickey Henderson both add dingers. Gregg Jefferies and Tommy Thompson hit doubles. John Denny throws a perfectly fine eight, giving up two earned while striking out five.

Bad news in Utica: SP Walt Williams is out with a forearm injury that’ll cost him three months. In Milwaukee, RP Dan Plesac is out for the year with a torn rotator cuff.

The power rankings:

1. Boston Red Sox - 56-26
2. New York Mets - 56-25
3. Detroit Tigers - 46-36
4. Los Angeles Dodgers - 50-32
5. Seattle Mariners - 48-35

We’re 10th, now 13 behind the Mets, who are up eight on St. Louis. In the NL West, the Dodgers now have a two-game lead over the Reds (who we swept). In the AL East, the Red Sox are up 7.5 on Toronto and 10 on Detroit. And in the AL West, those Mariners are looking for yet another division crown, as they’re up four on California.

Last edited by The_Myth; 05-21-2021 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 12:13 AM   #223
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

July 7, 1986

If we’re to trade major leaguers, what I want most is power (outfield, especially). Pitching would be good, and especially if it’s down below AA.

Let’s start with power. I consult the scouts to hand me reports on minor leaguers and prospects with more than one year of professional time, and with 55 or better power potential and 45 and better total potential. Here’s who I like among this group:
  • 2B - Ron Gant - ATL - age 21 - 32/64
  • LF/3B/1B - Dante Bichette - CAL - age 22 - 32/50
  • LF/RF - Shane Mack - CIN - age 22 - 34/68
  • LF/RF/1B - Paul O’Neill - CIN - age 23 - 36/57
  • 1B/2B/3B - Chris Sabo - CIN - age 24 - 37/49
  • LF/CF/RF/1B - Ty Van Burkleo - MIL - age 22 - 40/45
  • LF/RF/1B - Rafael Palmeiro - OAK - age 21 - 35/72
  • LF/RF - Rob Deer - SF - age 25 - 42/47
  • 3B/RF/1B - Bob Zambrano - SEA - age 19 - 34/55
  • RF/LF - Ruben Sierra - TEX - age 20 - 37/48
  • LF/CF/RF - Geronimo Berroa - TOR - age 21 - 37/57
  • 1B/LF - Cecil Fielder - TOR - age 22 - 40/53
  • LF/RF - Glenallen Hill - TOR - age 21 - 36/54

Apparently Toronto and Cincinnati are power factories (if you did the same kind of search but substituted power for speed, we’d be the place to be).

Of course, not every team is buying. Here’s who we can realistically imagine is buying this trade season:
  • Boston Red Sox - 1st, AL East
  • Toronto Blue Jays - 2nd, AL East, 7.5 GB
  • Seattle Mariners - 1st, AL West
  • California Angels - 2nd, AL West, 4 GB
  • Minnesota Twins - 3rd, AL West, 8 GB
  • New York Mets - 1st, NL East
  • St. Louis Cardinals - 2nd, NL East, 8 GB
  • Los Angeles Dodgers - 1st, NL West
  • Cincinnati Reds - 2nd, NL West, 2 GB
  • San Diego Padres - 3rd, NL West, 6.5 GB

That means we can expect only these players may be available:
  • LF/3B/1B - Dante Bichette - CAL - age 22 - 32/50
  • LF/RF - Shane Mack - CIN - age 22 - 34/68
  • LF/RF/1B - Paul O’Neill - CIN - age 23 - 36/57
  • 1B/2B/3B - Chris Sabo - CIN - age 24 - 37/49
  • 3B/RF/1B - Bob Zambrano - SEA - age 19 - 34/55
  • LF/CF/RF - Geronimo Berroa - TOR - age 21 - 37/57
  • 1B/LF - Cecil Fielder - TOR - age 22 - 40/53
  • LF/RF - Glenallen Hill - TOR - age 21 - 36/54

Now, do these teams need pitching? Toronto could maybe use a John Denny or Scott Sanderson, but it could definitely use a reliever like Larry Andersen. Seattle could use both a starter and a reliever. California might want a starter just for depth reasons, but it definitely needs a reliever or two. And Cincinnati might be in the market for a starter.

I’m hearing that for a reliever, California would give up outfield prospect Cory Synder (age 23, 38/43), who has 60-grade power and plays well in right field. One issue: He’s basically major league ready, and it’s not as if Glenn Wilson has played his way off the team. And Cincinnati would free up Sabo for one player, probably Denny. So that’s a start. Of the list above, I’m most interested in Hill (No. 42 prospect per BA), Zambrano (No. 76 prospect per BA), O’Neill (No. 29 prospect per BA), and Bichette.

While I’m not ready to do anything yet, I’ll be dropping hints to these teams.

OK, on to a three-gamer against Atlanta. After that I pack some big bags, because we’re off to Houston for four before the all-star break … also in Houston. Going to vacation in Texas a bit.

Game 1986-80: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 7, Braves 0 / 43-37

A real pick-me-up game for Von Hayes, who goes 3-for-4 with a double. Gregg Jefferies hits his second home run, while Paul Molitor adds four hits to raise his average to .327. Scott Sanderson nearly pitches a complete game, striking out nine.

July 8, 1986

Darren Daulton gets the game off. That’s about it tonight, as we reach the halfway mark of the season. Oh, and Atlanta is starting our old friend John Russell in center field. He’s hitting .185 with a .542 OPS for the Braves.

Game 1986-81: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 7, Braves 6 (11) / 44-37

Holy cow what a comeback. The Braves get up 3-0 early on Steve Carlton, who just survives 5.1 innings of ball. We tie it up, however, thanks to some timely hitting and sacrifice flies. Then, in the 10th, Todd Worrell gives up a three-run homer to .227 hitter Ross Jones. It looks bleak, but with an out in the bottom half, we get to work: Von Hayes single, Glenn Wilson double, Jim Eisenreich two-run double. Down one with two outs, up steps Darren Daulton, who squibs a ball to pitcher Brian Fisher. It’s over … until Fisher throws it high and away! Eisenreich scores to tie it up. Then, Juan Samuel singles, but Daulton is thrown out at the plate.

No matter: In the 11th, Paul Molitor singles, Mike Schmidt doubles, and Glenn Wilson flies it out just deep enough to score Pauly Pulse. It’s good to win those games.

We’re 44-37 at the halfway mark, putting us as an 88-win team full season. Our pythag is 46-35 (we’re a +51), and that makes a lot of sense, as I think we’ve been slightly better than the record. If we’re about a 90-win team, I like that. Really, that’s what I was hoping for this season, not imagining the Mets would be on pace for 115 wins (they’re 58-25).

July 9, 1986

A good update: Pitcher Bruce Berenyi, who we acquired while injured, should be back to full strength in two to three weeks. We may very well need reinforcements by that time.

Also, we’re just a few days from the end of Don Carman’s rehab stint. That means we have to make a move, whether it’s sending someone to the minors (Blaise Ilsley, maybe, simply because he’s barely played) or making a trade. Not sure if the latter is happening just yet.

On that note, quiet on the trade talk today. I imagine when I get to Houston I’ll be working the phones a bit, and especially as other teams come to town for the All Star Game.

Final game of a three-gamer against Atlanta. Would love this one for a sweep. Mike Schmidt gets a day off, so we push Glenn Wilson to the cleanup spot and hit Enos Cabell sixth.

Game 1986-82: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 2, Braves 0 / 45-37

Good to see Charles Hudson do his thing, maybe sewing up an all-star berth for a second-consecutive year. He throws a four-hitter, striking out nine and walking three, to lower his ERA to 2.72. Offensively we do just enough, with a couple guys getting two hits, including Von Hayes, whose recent hot streak has him at .221. Good home sweep before our long Texas trip.

Over at Comiskey Park, veteran Tom Seaver earns his 300th career win by beating Cleveland. Fun fact: Since 1982, Seaver has only reached double-digit wins once.

By the way, lest we think we’re getting back in the race we’re still 13 back of the Mets, who are 59-25. It’s absurd.

My scouting reports on young pitching are now available. Here are starters who we’re grading a minimum 45 potential with minimum 55 stuff and minimum 40 control:
  • Tom Glavine - ATL - age 20 - 32/51
  • Randy Johnson - BOS - age 22 - 30/50
  • Juan Nieves - MIL - age 21 - 45/45
  • David Cone - SF - age 23 - 40/51

Funny enough we have two pitchers on this list: Kelly Downs and Blaise Ilsley (Ilsley’s rating is as a reliever, as is Nieves, above). Suffice it to say I like Nieves, along with Glavine. And if I request reports that have stuff potential at 50 minimum, the list expands with two more names:
  • John Burkett - SF - age 21 - 35/47
  • Mark Portugal - SF - age 23 - 45/54

If I was to trade Denny or Sanderson for one of these pitchers, I’d want another piece.

July 10, 1986

We land in Houston with heavy bags. I’m excited to head into the country for some barbecue pork ribs, but they tell me the Tex-Mex here is pretty terrific. Something called a fajita? I have no clue.
  • SP Don Carman sent to MLB Philadelphia
  • RP Blaise Ilsley optioned to AAA Portland

We have to. But Ilsley should be back before the month is out, and most likely as a starter.

And here’s something crazy: A few hours after sending Ilsley back to Portland, I heard from a staff member that, apparently, the clubhouse was glad that Blaise had been demoted. My staffer said that players were saying he was a nasty kid. I was not anticipating this, especially as there were no warning signs. Feels weird.

Crummy news from Clearwater: SP Pete Smith is out for five months with a torn meniscus. He put up a 3.31 ERA in 106 innings and was in line for a spot in Reading in 1987. Now he may have to repeat in A-ball, at least for a few starts to start ‘87.

And here’s another crazy tale: Mets GM Jason Kincaid called me asking about Darren Daulton. I laughed in the dope’s face. We don’t deal with the Mets.

Game 1986-83: Astrodome - Phillies 12, Astros 7 / 46-37

This one looks a lot closer than it was. We go up 12-0 before the ‘stros chip away at the lead a bit. Big offense from the bottom of the order: Von Hayes, Glenn Wilson, and Darren Daulton each go 2-for-4 with a double, two RBI, two runs, and a walk (OK, Wilson also hit a homer), and Gregg Jefferies finishes 3-for-5 with three doubles.

July 11, 1986

SP Steve Witt has biceps tendonitis and will miss a few weeks. We’re hemorrhaging minor league pitching …

Meanwhile in Pittsburgh, an elbow injury ends the season for Jose DeLeon, the talented 25-year-old hurler having a tough season (4.31 ERA).

Before I forget, time to vote for my 1986 all-stars:

American League
  • SP - Dennis Eckersley - BOS - 11-4, 2.84 ERA, 6.6 K/9, 3.6 WAR
  • SP - Jimmy Key - TOR - 14-4, 2.58 ERA, 6.3 K/9, 4.0 WAR
  • SP - Nolan Ryan - CAL - 8-6, 2.78 ERA, 10.2 K/9, 3.7 WAR
  • RP - Mark Clear - BOS - 6-1, 19 SV, 2.04 ERA, 12.5 K/9, 1.6 WAR
  • RP - Dave Righetti - NYY - 5-4, 13 SV, 3.44 ERA, 7.9 K/9, 1.0 WAR
  • RP - Jim Acker - TOR - 3-4, 1.78 ERA, 6.4 K/9, 0.6 WAR
  • C - Dave Valle - SEA - .310/.354/.479, 7 HR, 132 wRC+, 2.3 WAR
  • 1B - Will Clark - CAL - .310/.379/.510, 11 HR, 147 wRC+, 3.2 WAR
  • 2B - Danny Tartabull - SEA - .306/.386/.532, 20 HR, 154 wRC+, 4.3 WAR
  • 3B - Wade Boggs - BOS - .357/.416/.514, 10 HR, 159 wRC+, 4.3 WAR
  • SS - Alan Trammell - DET - .303/.353/.478, 11 HR, 132 wRC+, 4.0 WAR
  • LF - Mitch Webster - TOR - .313/.387/.526, 14 HR, 12 SB, 154 wRC+. 3.6 WAR
  • CF - Kirby Puckett - MIN - .340/.377/.542, 9 HR, 11 SB, 152 wRC+. 3.6 WAR
  • RF - Ellis Burks - BOS - .327/.359/.548, 15 HR, 16 SB, 150 wRC+, 3.8 WAR
  • DH - George Bell - TOR - .293/.324/.501, 19 HR, 125 wRC+, 1.9 WAR

National League
  • SP - Ron Darling - NYM - 12-3, 2.02 ERA, 7.7 K/9, 4.5 WAR
  • SP - Dwight Gooden - NYM - 10-3, 2.39 ERA, 8.6 K/9, 4.8 WAR
  • SP - Orel Hershiser - LAD - 9-9, 2.80 ERA, 7.1 K/9, 4.7 WAR
  • RP - Scott Garrelts - SF - 4-2, 13 SV, 1.87 ERA, 7.8 K/9, 1.2 WAR
  • RP - Lee Smith - CHC - 3-1, 17 SV, 2.62 ERA, 9.7 K/9, 1.4 WAR
  • RP - Jesse Orosco - NYM - 1-2, 25 SV, 1.27 ERA, 7.6 K/9, 1.8 WAR
  • C - Mike Scioscia - LAD - .289/.392/.394, 5 HR, 122 wRC+, 3.0 WAR
  • 1B - Glenn Davis - HOU - .308/.358/.573, 23 HR, 155 wRC+, 3.1 WAR
  • 2B - Ryne Sandberg - CHC - .332/.375/.503, 11 HR, 32 SB, 133 wRC+, 3.2 WAR
  • 3B - Paul Molitor - PHI - .325/.366/.421, 4 HR, 28 SB, 119 wRC+, 3.0 WAR
  • SS - Ozzie Smith - STL - .258/.316/.328, 1 HR, 14 SB, 85 wRC+, 2.6 WAR
  • LF - Kal Daniels - CIN - .330/.422/.503, 11 HR, 17 SB, 155 wRC+, 3.6 WAR
  • CF - Rickey Henderson - PHI - .304/.397/.494, 13 HR, 57 SB, 141 wRC+, 4.6 WAR
  • RF - Darryl Strawberry - NYM - .298/.411/.538, 17 HR, 18 SB, 159 wRC+, 3.5 WAR

In the American League, the Red Sox and Mariners are set to rule the show, while in the NL it looks like a lot of Mets out there. I might be acting controversial by picking my own guy over Cincinnati’s Eric Davis, who has 23 HR and 33 SB, but it’s actually a toss-up for me at center field. Henderson’s defense and speed might put him above Davis; nonetheless, the two may be running neck and neck for MVP.

Seems criminal when I think about it: Last year I was gushing about Mike Schmidt’s play, but this year I’ve been relatively quiet on what is currently an MVP season from Rickey. I should step back and be more in the present here - my man is having an awesome season.

Game 1986-84: Astrodome - Astros 8, Phillies 7 / 46-38

Pitching just stinks tonight. John Denny turns in another clunker (4 ER in 4 IP), while Jay Howell gives up some big runs late (4 ER in 1 IP). I gotta say, I’m having no success finding relievers on the free agent market. The big blow in this one is a three-run homer by former Phillie Mike Diaz, who’s hitting .219/.294/.404 as the starting catcher in Houston. On our side, Mike Schmidt hits two homers.

We lose our first game in several days and, naturally, we lose a game to the Mets, who are 61-25.

Meanwhile, we run through a bunch of trade scenarios, asking teams for some touchable lists, and one idea we land on is to send John Denny to Cincinnati for infielder Chris Sabo and infielder (mostly 1B) Wade Rowdon. The former has patience, speed, and a good glove at first, second, and third base, while the latter is more of a power bat and a likely bench guy. Sabo is a fringe everyday guy. That’s not a bad return for Denny, so we ponder.

July 12, 1986

In the news, some trades: Cleveland sends SP Phil Niekro (who’s 47 and retiring after this season) to Oakland for prospects Scott Shaw and Mitch Cook. Why is Oakland, who is 22 games under .500, trading for a veteran?

Also, the Yankees send prospect Mark Grimes to Kansas City for pitcher Aurelio Lopez and prospect Derek Parks. New York is 14.5 behind Boston. I don’t know.

And Scott Sanderson’s agent calls me wanting drinks in Houston one evening. Sounds like extension talk. I set a meeting for tonight after the game - better now than later.

For today’s game, Rickey Henderson sits. Gregg Jefferies leads off for the first time in his career.

Game 1986-85: Astrodome - Astros 6, Phillies 5 / 46-39

You really don’t want to see two straight losses to Houston following such good play, but here we are. It’s a bad time for a bad Sanderson start (2.1 IP, 4 ER), and though we fight to come back (a pinch-hit Jeff Stone home run, for one), we just can’t get that elusive tying run.

Over in Minneapolis, Dave Winfield collected career hit No. 2,000 in a Yankees win.

I head to one of those Texas steakhouses to meet with Scott Sanderson’s agent, who is in town for the All-Star Game. He says Scott wants nine years.

Yes, nine.

He also wants the ability to opt out after three years, if it makes sense for him.

I’m still stuck on nine years. On one hand, no. On the other hand, it makes me think it’ll be easy to get a draft pick for him next year.

July 13, 1986

First, California just acquired reliever Rich Bordi from the Cubs for prospects Billie Merrifield and Reggie Montgomery. If California is going for it, I’m looking into it. That said, I don’t just want Cory Snyder for Denny, or something like that. I’d rather have Dante Bichette.

Meanwhile, the all stars have been named. Here we go:

American League

* SP - Jimmy Key - TOR
SP - Oil Can Boyd - BOS
SP - Dennis Eckersley - BOS
SP - Charlie Hough - DET
SP - Mike Moore - SEA
SP - Nolan Ryan - CAL
SP - Mike Scott - MIL
SP - Greg Swindell - CAL
SP - Frank Viola - MIN
RP - Mark Clear - BOS
RP - Tom Henke - TEX
RP - Dave Righetti - NYY
RP - Kent Tekulve - DET
* C - Mike Brown - CAL
C - Mickey Tettleton - OAK
C - Dave Valle - SEA
* 1B - Will Clark - CAL
* 2B - Danny Tartabull - SEA
* 3B - Wade Boggs - BOS
3B - George Brett - KC
3B - Gary Gaetti - MIN
3B - Jack Howell - CAL
* SS - Alan Trammell - DET
* LF - George Bell - TOR
* LF - Mitch Webster - TOR
CF - Lloyd Moseby - TOR
CF - Kirby Puckett - MIN
* RF - Ellis Burks - BOS
RF - Jose Canseco - OAK
RF - Dwight Evans - BOS
RF - Fred Lynn - DET

All stars by team: Boston (6), California (5), Toronto (4), Detroit (4), Seattle (3), Minnesota (3), Oakland (2), New York (1), Texas (1), Kansas City (1), Milwaukee (1), Baltimore (0), Chicago (0), Cleveland (0)

About right. That said, just amazed that Tekulve, who is carrying a 4.89 ERA, is an all-star.

National League

* SP - Dwight Gooden - NYM
SP - Rick Aguilera - NYM
SP - Ron Darling - NYM
SP - Sid Fernandez - NYM
SP - Orel Hershiser - LA
SP - Dave LaPoint - STL
SP - Eric Show - SD
SP - Walt Terrell - NYM
RP - Bob James - MTL
RP - Jeff Robinson - SF
RP - Tom Niedenführ - LA
RP - Lee Smith - CHC
* C - Mike Scioscia - LA
C - Bob Brenly - NYM
C - Darrell Porter - STL
* 1B - Glenn Davis - HOU
1B - Sid Bream - LA
1B - Andres Galarraga - MTL
* 2B - Ryne Sandberg - CHC
2B - Johnny Ray - PIT
* 3B - Paul Molitor - PHI
* SS - Ozzie Smith - STL
LF - Kal Daniels - CIN
LF - Mike Marshall - LA
CF - Willie McGee - STL
CF - Eric Davis - CIN
* CF - Rickey Henderson - PHI
RF - Tony Gwynn - SD
* RF - Darryl Strawberry - NYM

All stars by team: New York (7), Los Angeles (5), St. Louis (4), Montreal (2), Philadelphia (2), Cincinnati (2), Chicago (2), San Diego (2), Houston (1), San Francisco (1), Pittsburgh (1), Atlanta (0)

Surprised that Hudson and Gross were shut out. Also, all five Mets starting pitchers made the team. Whoa.

Game 1986-86: Astrodome: Astros 6, Phillies 5 / 46-40

Such a letdown. Three of four lost to Houston. After a five-run fifth, we’re up 5-4 and doing just fine. Then Don Carman picks up right where he left off, giving up a two-run Glenn Davis homer and the lead. Juan Samuel hits a two-run homer. That’s about it, otherwise.

New power rankings are in:

1. New York Mets - 62-26
2. Boston Red Sox - 61-28
3. Los Angeles Dodgers - 54-35
4. Toronto Blue Jays - 54-36
5. Detroit Tigers - 51-38

And we’re ninth.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:42 AM   #224
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

July 14, 1986

Midseason, so it’s time for some grades.

C - Darren Daulton - 276 PA, .203/.338/.320, 13 XBH, 53 K, 46 BB, 8 SB, 4 CS, 84 wRC+, +1.4 ZR, .940 EFF, 1.0 WAR

Grade: C / He’s still wielding a light bat. It’s possible not upgrading here for the short-term is doing damage, but we’d sacrifice defense and game-calling ability. Daulton has become one of the best in the game at working with pitchers, and it shows as our young pitchers have been superb at times. That said, I do think we need to see better offense in the second half (like was the case last season).

C - Tommy Thompson - 95 PA, .230/.280/.333, 6 XBH, 8 K, 5 BB, 62 wRC+, -0.5 ZR, 1.080 EFF, 0.0 WAR

Grade: D / Thompson is here mostly for defense, and because I don’t want Mike LaValliere on the bench. I wish I felt stronger about this spot, but I don’t.

1B - Mike Schmidt - 350 PA, .276/.329/.433, 27 XBH, 46 K, 26 BB, 109 wRC+, +4.0 ZR, 1.068 EFF, 1.6 WAR

Grade: B- / He has 11 home runs. That’s fine. Also, his exceptional defense at first might prolong his career a little, which is great. Bottom line is there’s still plenty of gas in the tank, but after this season, we need to be ready to say that Schmidty can’t be our main power source.

1B - Enos Cabell - 62 PA, .333/.371/.421, 4 XBH, 11 K, 4 BB, -0.4 ZR, .946 EFF, 0.3 WAR

Grade: A- / He’s been a fine pinch hitter and once-every-two-weeks starter. He wants out. He’ll probably be dealt to a team with better playoff chances.

2B - Juan Samuel - 366 PA, .265/.303/.420, 33 XBH, 80 K, 16 BB, 22 SB, 10 CS, -1.2 ZR, .989 EFF, 1.2 WAR

Grade: C+ / A soft C+ trending toward B-. I would love more power or speed, but he’s been jerked around the lineup a bit. The best thing is his defense has improved considerably. Gotta believe a 1987 breakout is possible.

3B - Paul Molitor - 373 PA, .322/.367/.421, 21 XBH, 35 K, 29 BB, 30 SB, 10 CS, +0.9 ZR, 1.014 EFF, 3.1 WAR

Grade: A / A very good first half for Molitor. Nothing to complain about.

SS - Gregg Jefferies - 63 PA, .339/.381/.576, 10 XBH, 5 K, 4 BB, 7 SB, 0 CS, -0.7 ZR, .977 EFF, 0.9 WAR

Grade: B+ / A little ignitor with good speed and gapper ability. A few early errors on defense, but I chalk that up to nerves.

SS/2B/3B - Steve Jeltz - 142 PA, .271/.338/.341, 7 XBH, 20 K, 13 BB, 1 SB, 0 CS, 0.0 ZR, .987 EFF, 0.3 WAR

Grade: B / He’s done everything I’ve asked of him, providing a decent stick without power (never expected that), plus passable defense at multiple infield positions.

LF - Von Hayes - 343 PA, .235/.319/.371, 23 XBH, 38 K, 38 BB, 15 SB, 8 CS, +11.2 ZR, 1.115 EFF, 2.0 WAR

Grade: C / What a wacky season so far. Just terrible at the plate for the first two-and-a-half-months, but he’s been on fire over the past few weeks. The defense has been outstanding - what a turnaround from a few years back when he was our center fielder. All in all, I’m OK with the performance, though I would kill for some power here.

CF - Rickey Henderson - 386 PA, .298/.396/.483, 33 XBH, 40 K, 54 BB, 57 SB, 10 CS, +5.4 ZR, 1.028 EFF, 4.6 WAR

Grade: A+ / MVP candidate. He’s been awesome.

CF - Jim Eisenreich - 51 PA, .378/.451/.622, 10 XBH, 4 K, 5 BB, 3 SB, 2 CS, -0.7 ZR, .999 EFF, 0.7 WAR

Grade: A- / Not much of a sample size, but when he’s in there he hits. He might be a sneaky trade candidate; then again, he could be terrific depth on a low-cost salary. I might give him some reps in the corners in the second half to see if he can hack it.

RF - Glenn Wilson - 271 PA, .327/.363/.520, 28 XBH, 32 K, 15 BB, 4 SB, 2 CS, +5.1 ZR, 1.066 EFF, 2.3 WAR

Grade: A / This might be Glenn-bo’s breakout season, after all. Terrific numbers. Again, would love to see more power (just 9 HR), but I can’t really complain with his production. Top-notch defense, too.

RF/LF - Jeff Stone - 140 PA, .211/.257/.289, 6 XBH, 30 K, 7 BB, 3 SB, 3 CS, +0.1 ZR, .961 EFF, -0.5 WAR

Grade: F / He’s done nothing offensively. He can’t even steal bags when he’s put on base. I probably should’ve pulled the trigger on him last midseason.

SP - Kevin Gross - 126.1 IP, 2.78 ERA, 3.56 FIP, 95 K, 35 BB, 2.8 WAR

Grade: B+ / Good. A pretty bad last two starts (7.15 ERA in July), and while that’s not a signal of anything, he’s probably pitching more to the FIP than to the ERA this season.

SP - Scott Sanderson - 116.1 IP, 3.09 ERA, 3.56 FIP, 71 K, 29 BB, 2.6 WAR

Grade: B+ / Love the K/BB. He’s been quite solid. He and Sanderson are like having two bonafide No. 3 starters. I just don’t really have an ace (like Fernando or Doc Gooden).

SP - Charles Hudson - 116 IP, 2.72 ERA, 3.12 FIP, 98 K, 30 BB, 3.3 WAR

Grade: A- / Hudson is a top-flight No. 2 starter. Good strikeout numbers. Reliable enough.

SP - John Denny - 105 IP, 4.29 ERA, 3.15 FIP, 75 K, 36 BB, 2.9 WAR

Grade: C+ / Weird year for Denny, who I feel like is pitching more to the FIP than the ERA. Trade bait for sure.

SP - Steve Carlton - 89 IP, 4.35 ERA, 3.94 FIP, 71 K, 38 BB, 1.5 WAR

Grade: C / I give Lefty credit for still being able to go out there and get outs. He’s not dominant anymore, but few teams have this kind of production from a No. 5 starter.

RP - Curt Young - 42.1 IP, 2.98 ERA, 3.71 FIP, 39 K, 16 BB, 0.4 WAR

Grade: B / A good long man. Not sure if he’s a starter in the future, but I’m glad I’m getting some value.

RP - Larry Andersen - 32.2 IP, 4.41 ERA, 3.23 FIP, 21 K, 15 BB, 0.8 WAR

Grade: C- / Maybe I’m being harsh, but hey, I’m allowed. He needs to be better. Too many walks.

RP - Donnie Moore - 27.2 IP, 3.58 ERA, 4.76 FIP, 16 K, 9 BB, -0.1 WAR

Grade: C- / Better than last season, but shoot, I thought I’d get a more unhittable pitcher.

RP - Jay Howell - 24 IP, 4.50 ERA, 4.56 FIP, 21 K, 12 BB, 0.0 WAR

Grade: D+ / Proof that free agency for relievers is not my strong suit. Trading for Lee Smith last year could’ve paid some dividends. Alas.

RP - Todd Worrell - 23 IP, 2.74 ERA, 3.28 FIP, 22 K, 9 BB, 0.5 WAR

Grade: B+ / Looks like either a closer or setup man for a while. Good stuff. He’s a keeper.

RP - Paul Assenmacher - 22.1 IP, 2.82 ERA, 3.51 FIP, 19 K, 13 BB, 0.3 WAR

Grade: B / The walks could go down, but I’m happy with his ability to get outs in high-leverage situations.

RP - Don Carman - 17.1 IP, 6.75 ERA, 4.52 FIP, 13 K, 2 BB, 0.0 WAR

Grade: D / I have to give him credit for the K/BB ratio, but eh … might need to move on.

We’re basically where we were 50 days ago. Decent offense lacking power. Decent pitching lacking a money man. But we’re deep, we have young talent at a number of positions, and we’re still primed to be a competitive team going forward. But if we want to maximize our capabilities, especially against a force like the Mets, we need to start looking at other options.

So, again, we’ll see if there’s interest in John Denny, Larry Andersen, and Enos Cabell, especially. Time to get some of these prospects in the big leagues.

July 15, 1986

Let’s take a moment at midseason to run through the all-time ranks, and who might be approaching some milestones. The top-five are listed, along with active players:

Hitting

Hits
1. Ty Cobb - 4,189
2. Pete Rose - 4,157
3. Hank Aaron - 3,771
4. Stan Musial - 3,630
5. Tris Speaker - 3,514
17. Rod Carew - 2,986
33. Tony Perez - 2,753
52. Al Oliver - 2,592
T-92. Reggie Jackson - 2,231

Home Runs
1. Hank Aaron - 755
2. Babe Ruth - 714
3. Willie Mays - 660
4. Frank Robinson - 586
5. Harmon Killebrew - 573
14. Reggie Jackson - 483
17. Mike Schmidt - 459
21. Tony Perez - 406
36. Craig Nettles - 345
T-40. Greg Luzinski - 332
T-40. Jim Rice - 332
44. Darrell Evans - 329
46. George Foster - 322
49. Dave Winfield - 311
53. Don Baylor - 292
T-65. Dwight Evans - 275
71. Eddie Murray - 263
72. Ron Cey - 262
73. Carlton Fisk - 260
90. George Hendrick - 241
T-92. Fred Lynn - 240
T-97: Gary Carter - 237
T-97: Dale Murphy - 237

Stolen Bases
1. Lou Brock - 938
2. Billy Hamilton - 912
3. Ty Cobb - 892
4. Eddie Collins - 744
5. Artie Latham - 740
11. Rickey Henderson - 625
19. Davey Lopes - 565
23. Cesar Cedeno - 523
34. Willie Wilson - 456
39. Omar Moreno - 449
48. Tim Raines - 419
81. Rod Carew - 346
83. Julio Cruz - 344
96. Jose Cruz - 325

Wins Above Replacement
1. Ty Cobb - 170.1
2. Babe Ruth - 156.2
3. Ted Williams - 141.4
3. Willie Mays - 141.4
5. Tris Speaker - 135.8
24. Mike Schmidt - 81.3
40. Reggie Jackson - 68.6
55. Rod Carew - 62.2
63. George Brett - 59.8
65. Tony Perez - 59.5
87. Bobby Grich - 54.0
90. Carlton Fisk - 53.7
99. Cesar Cedeno - 52.1

Pitching

Wins
1. Cy Young - 511
2. Walter Johnson - 417
3. Pete Alexander - 373
3. Christy Mathewson - 373
5. Pud Galvin - 364
10. Steve Carlton - 322
15. Don Sutton - 301
T-16. Tom Seaver - 300
20. Phil Niekro - 292
65. Bert Blyleven - 212

Saves
1. Rollie Fingers - 317
2. Goose Gossage - 297
3. Sparky Lyle - 238
4. Hoyt Wilhelm - 227
5. Bruce Sutter - 224
6. Kent Tekulve - 204
7. Dan Quisenberry - 200
8. Gene Garber - 198
14. Gary Lavelle - 154
18. Bill Campbell - 145
T-27. Jerry Forster - 119
T-27. Jeff Reardon - 119
T27. Lee Smith - 119
(too many more to list beyond)

Strikeouts
1. Nolan Ryan - 4,144
2. Steve Carlton - 4,044
3. Gaylord Perry - 3,534
4. Tom Seaver - 3,519
5. Walter Johnson - 3,509
6. Don Sutton - 3,345
8. Phil Niekro - 3,160
10. Bert Blyleven - 2,955
45. Frank Tanana - 1,845
T-62. Steve Rogers - 1,677
68. Dennis Eckersley - 1,663
T-69. Ron Guidry - 1,651
87. Rick Reuschel - 1,568

Wins Above Replacement
1. Cy Young - 166.9
2. Walter Johnson - 159.0
3. Steve Carlton - 121.7
4. Pete Alexander - 118.9
5. Gaylord Perry - 113.4
8. Tom Seaver - 104.8
9. Don Sutton - 97.4
12. Bert Blyleven - 94.2
T-19. Nolan Ryan - 87.1
21. Phil Niekro - 83.5
52. Steve Rogers - 62.0
T-62: Rick Reuschel - 59.7
96. Ron Guidry - 50.6

We hear that John Smiley, a reliever with the Pirates (40/58), is available if the price is right. Pittsburgh is saying at least Kelly Downs or Luis Polonia. Definitely something to think about.

So it’s essentially Smiley or Cincinnati’s Chris Sabo (37/49). Or I could try to grab Juan Nieves from Milwaukee or John Burkett or Mark Portugal from San Francisco. In any of these trades, I’d like more than just the featured prospect.

And in talking to the Giants, it seems as if we can work something out centered on Denny for Portugal (45/54). We’d have to take on their highest salary in Jeffrey Leonard ($900K through 1988), but we might even release him, since we have plenty of cash in our coffers, and losing Denny would free up even more room. We would also be able to get power prospect Rob Deer (41/46), but we’d have to let go of prospect Ricky Jordan (25/44) or Luis Polonia (38/49).

It’s enticing. I tell the Giants we’re interested but need some time. Also, I tell my team to start looking at players on bad contracts - we can take on some dead money.

Anyway, onto the game.

1986 All-Star Game: National League 7, American League 5

We score early and often to grab the W in Houston. Rickey Henderson goes 1-for-2 with a double and two runs, while Paul Molitor is hitless but walks three times. Kal Daniels hits a three-run home run, earning him MVP honors.

July 16, 1986

We have $7.1 million available for free agents or midseason acquisitions, so we have room to get a player with a high salary. Plus, with Denny coming off the books anyway (whether after this year or during this year), and Steve Carlton making less next year (or coming off the books), we’ll have even more. Moreover, we’re not likely to add a lot of salary in the 86-87 offseason. So, yeah, if it means we can get a serious prospect haul, we’d be glad to take on cash.

With that, my team came back with a list of highly-paid players whose teams wouldn’t mind removing from the payroll:
  • C Gary Carter - MTL - 50/50 - $2.06M, $2.16M, $2.198M - .202/.279/.312
  • LF/RF Dale Murphy - ATL - 50/50 - $1.825M, $1.925M, $2M - .257/.309/.490
  • LF George Foster - NYM - 36/36 - $1.6M, $1.6 (t), $1.6M (t) - .333/.400/.667 (10 PA)
  • 3B Doug DeCinces - CAL - 48/48 - $1.2M, $1.05M - .203/.270/.359
  • SP Mario Soto - CIN - 44/44 - $1.15M, $1.2M, $1.2M - 3.78 ERA
  • RP Rich Gossage - SD - 60/60 - $1.1M, $1.1M, $1.1M, $1M (t) - 3.76 ERA
  • 1B Cliff Johnson - CLE - 42/42 - $1.08M, $1.08M (v) - .211/.283/.350
  • LF Jeffrey Leonard - SF - 45/45 - $900K, $975K, $900K - .216/.286/.255
  • RP Len Barker - ATL - 35/35 - $880K, $890K, $900K - 7.41 ERA
  • 3B/SS Hubie Brooks - OAK - 47/47 - $880K, $880K, $880K - .236/.292/.368
  • 3B Buddy Bell - TEX - 47/47 - $870K, $870K, $790K (t) - .218/.288/.318
  • SP Rick Sutcliffe - CLE - 49/49 - $850K, $950K, $950K (t) - 5.63 ERA

I don’t want players with more than four years left on their contracts. Foster is the perfect match, as he could essentially stay rostered through the year, then be denied his team options. That said, the Mets are smart enough and, well, I don’t want to trade with the Mets. Ever.

Only San Francisco can’t acquire Denny without surrendering a big salary, while Cleveland comes very close to zero. I should focus on those teams, thinking they might rather have all dead money off the books after 1986. I should also focus on teams that want to win now: Detroit and California. The Angels, I think, can be picked a bit.

July 17, 1986

We leave Houston for home, while the team heads to Cincinnati to start a four-game series with the Reds. I get back to work with my staffers.

Let’s look at some prospects. First, California, and those with better than a 40 potential scouting grade:
  • 1B Wally Joyner - 24 - 50/55 (32nd)
  • 2B/SS Mark McLemore - 21 - 46/54 (36th)
  • CF Devon White - 23 - 42/50 (59th)
  • 3B Dante Bichette - 22 - 32/50
  • CF Junior Felix - 18 - 32/46
  • CF/LF/RF/3B Charlie Hayes - 21 - 26/46
  • C Erik Pappas - 20 - 27/46
  • 1B Doug Jennings - 21 - 36/43
  • RF Cory Snyder - 23 - 38/43
  • SP Bob Kipper - 22 - 41/41

Next, San Francisco. Same deal:
  • C Chris Hoiles - 21 - 37/73 (8th)
  • 2B Robby Thompson - 24 - 45/61 (23rd)
  • C BJ Surhoff - 21 - 42/-57 (24th)
  • SP Mark Portugal - 23 - 45/54 (65th)
  • C Brian Deak - 18 - 38/52
  • SP David Cone - 23 - 40/51 (52nd)
  • 3B John Jaha - 20 - 44/50
  • SP Terry Mulholland - 23 - 39/47
  • LF Rob Deer - 25 - 41/46
  • C John Ramos - 20 - 26/44
  • C Matt Nokes - 22 - 39/43
  • RF Steve Stanicek - 25 - 38/42
  • RP John Violette - 28 - 42/42
  • RF Alonzo Powell - 21 - 32/41
  • 3B Ed Whited - 22 - 40/40
  • CF Randy Kutcher - 26 - 39/40

And finally, Cleveland:
  • RF/CF Brady Anderson - 22 - 46/49
  • LF Ken Gerhart - 25 - 40/44
  • RP Bryan Harvey - 23 - 38/43
  • C Dan Walters - 19 - 20/40

Cleveland feels out of the picture unless I get Anderson and at least one of Gerhart or Walters. San Francisco makes sense if I can get one of its top 100 plus another decent prospect. Same goes for the Angels. So that’s the “take an overpriced player in return” strategy.

Meanwhile, using the “just go after a team needing pitching” strategy, my team thinks we should go after Blue Jays prospect Glenallen Hill. The 21-year-old outfielder hit .370/.406/.654 in 278 PA in AA, then moved to AAA, where he’s now .271/.313/.424. We previously identified him as a potential trade target, so I contact Terry Hetzel. He says it would take Darren Daulton, no more, no less. I say thanks but no thanks.

We also have beats on Cincinnati and Pittsburgh. For now, we’re going to wait to see if a team contacts us.

Game 1986-87: Riverfront Stadium - Phillies 5, Reds 3 / 47-40

Darren Daulton clubs a bases-clearing double in the first to put us up big. Gregg Jefferies adds a homer later for insurance. Charles Hudson turns in a seven-inning, seven-strikeout performance, while Todd Worrell and Larry Andersen clean it up.

July 18, 1986

No calls yet from teams.

Game 1986-88: Riverfront Stadium - Phillies 14, Reds 9 / 48-40

Not as close as the score, as we go up 14-2 going into the bottom of the ninth. Juan Samuel hits two home runs, as do Von Hayes (now hitting .232) and Jeff Stone. Mike Schmidt notches four hits. Gregg Jefferies adds three. Kevin Gross strikes out nine, and Curt Young gives up all the runs, basically.

On the trade front, I hear that the Red Sox really want another arm and might be willing to surrender pitching prospect Randy Johnson in a trade. He was among the high-stuff, decent-control pitchers I had highlighted earlier, although he’s having a wild time of it this year in AA (101 IP, 4.01 ERA, 111 K, 75 BB). He’s the 55th ranked prospect in baseball right now and has a 60-grade fastball, 60-grade curve, and 65-grade slider, along with a couple show-me options (changeup, sinker, splitter). He was the 14th pick in the 1985 draft (we took Gregg Jefferies just beforehand), and we pegged him back then as a potential ace.

I call Boston general manager Dick Billings, and he says that yes, Johnson is available. He’d do a one-for-one, long as we pick up some of Denny’s contract. I want more, though, and ask if LF Todd Benzinger is available. The 23-year-old who can play left and right field is hitting .312/.343/.492 with 17 HR and 25 SB in AAA this year. He’s a 35/42 with 55 speed, and he should be a bench candidate next season. I could also flip him. Either way, he’s corner outfield depth, and I need that.

Billings balks at Denny for Johnson and Benzinger, at least with me taking on 60 percent of Denny’s salary. I ask about 80 percent, and Billings says he’ll think about it.

This is the best trade option we have right now for Denny, and considering the prospect power available here, I’m ready to lock it in. But first I go back to the other teams who were interested in Denny:

Cincinnati: Will do Chris Sabo plus a second-tier prospect, like catcher Mark Berry. Sabo is 24 and plays 1B, 2B, 3B. He doesn’t quite fit with my plans right now, though I could then make Juan Samuel available. (Is that even better?)

San Francisco: I’d have to either eat 95 percent of Denny’s contract or take on Jeffrey Leonard’s contract (signed through 1988) to get No. 72 prospect Rob Deer. I could get more if I add a prospect (Ricky Jordan or Luis Polonia especially).

Toronto: Wouldn’t do anything unless Darren Daulton was attached.

California: Can’t find a good deal at all.

So it’s either Boston or San Francisco. For the latter, the best deal is Mark Portugal, Jeffrey Leonard, Rob Deer, and C Matt Nokes for Denny and Polonia. I don’t mind losing Polonia, especially if I get Deer in return, while Nokes is a power-and-defense catcher who would head to AAA (obviously that makes things tough with Mike LaValliere). Leonard, who happens to be from Philly, would likely ride the bench through the end of the season before we likely release him and eat that salary.

I don’t know. Johnson is a better long-term prospect than Portugal, at least to me, while I’d rather have Deer than Benzinger. But if we do the trade with the Red Sox, we don’t have to take on a bloated contract and we don’t have a bigger backlog at backstop. Honestly, too many prospects is a problem, and we don’t want to have it.

I decide to sleep on it.

July 19, 1986

I decide to try the Red Sox. We offer Denny (plus we’ll eat 80 percent of the contract) for Randy Johnson and Todd Benzinger.

We continue the Reds series with, what do you know, Denny on the hill against rookie Curt Schilling.

Game 1986-89: Riverfront Stadium - Phillies 7, Reds 5 (10) / 49-40

Great to get this one, though we shouldn’t have ever gone to extras. We get up 5-1 thanks to Paul Molitor (3B, HR), Gregg Jefferies (2B, HR), and Von Hayes (HR), but the Reds tie it back up off Denny in the fourth and fifth. It stays 5-5 until the 10th, when Juan Samuel socks a two-run shot of his own.

We find out that pitcher Jeff Norwood is out for three months, so we promote Steve Gasser (164 K, 58 BB) to the Florida State League. Correspondingly, we send Mack Jenkins (great name, 36th round pick) to A Spartanburg from Bend. He was throwing to a 2.60 ERA with 31 K and 11 BB in 45 IP.

July 20, 1986

Boston GM Dick Billings calls back and says he can’t do John Denny at 20 percent of his contract for Randy Johnson and Todd Benzinger. He also wants a utility bat and asks about Bill Lyons.

Needless to say, we’re interested, as we’d just as well waive Lyons. But we wonder if we can get more out of the deal, so I tell Dick he’s insurance for us, and we’d need something else.

We talk about possible bench bats, at we land on Pat Dodson, a 1B with a big swing that usually means home runs or strikeouts. He’s hitting .260/.361/.446 in AAA, has one option year left, and is 26. He’s also a lefty. I like him, and adding him means not having to dip into the pool for a bench bat next year. The downside is it means a guy like Francisco Melendez still can’t find his way to the majors, at least at first.

Billings would be fine with adding Dodson, but heck, am I getting enough? I add another name: C Jeff Kaye, a 22-year-old with power and defense. He’s like Nokes in San Francisco, and I want that parallel. So that’s what I offer to Billings: Johnson, Benzinger, Dodson, and Kaye for Denny and Lyons.

Game 1986-90: Riverfront Stadium - Phillies 7, Reds 0 / 50-40

A sweep in Cincinnati! That’s huge! Scott Sanderson pitches phenomenally (8.1 IP, 5 H, 8 K, 1 BB), while Paul Molitor drives in three thanks in part to two triples. Rickey Henderson steals his 60th base of the season.

Finally, power rankings:

1. New York Mets - 64-28
2. Boston Red Sox - 63-30
3. Detroit Tigers - 54-39
4. Toronto Blue Jays - 56-38
5. Los Angeles Dodgers - 56-37

And we’re just behind them all in sixth.

Last edited by The_Myth; 07-26-2021 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-15-2022, 01:31 PM   #225
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

Note: Hey! Decided to post the next installment nearly nine months later. More to come!

July 21, 1986

A call today from Red Sox GM Dick Billings: He accepts my offer. I have some time to complete the trade, so I decide to go back to San Francisco. They’re not moving off giving me Jeffrey Leonard, Mark Portugal, and Rob Deer for John Denny and Luis Polonia. Adding Matt Nokes would mean adding something else on my end. It’s not enough.

I tell my team to double-check some things before I put this deal through.

As for my baseball team, we head to Atlanta for three against the Braves.

Game 1986-91: Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium - Phillies 3, Braves 2 (11) / 51-40

Five straight. We’re up 1-0 heading into the ninth, when Larry Andersen blows it. Then in the 10th, Rickey Henderson homers to put us up 2-1. Then Andersen, via Todd Worrell, blows it again. In the 11th, we win it on a Mike Schmidt double and a clean Worrell inning. Boy, do I hope someone wants Andersen.

July 22, 1986

We make some calls and find out there’s definitely interest in Larry Andersen. That makes me feel better. Once the Denny deal goes down, we’ll turn our attention to that.

Game 1986-92: Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium - Phillies 4, Braves 1 / 52-40

Our sixth-straight win comes thanks to another great Charles Hudson performance (7.1 IP, 1 ER, 5 H, 7 K). Mike Schmidt with three hits including his 12th home run, while Darren Daulton adds his sixth.

We’re 11 back of the Mets.

July 23, 1986

We decide, if we’re doing this Denny trade, we should shore up the rest of the 1987 rotation. That means considering Steve Carlton.

Owner Bill Giles wants us to extend Carlton, and his agent told us he’s looking for just another year at about $550K. That’s fair considering he’s making $1 million this year. His numbers: 97 IP, 3.99 ERA, 75 K, 40 BB, 1.8 WAR. So he’s a No. 4 or 5 starter at this point. All makes sense.

So, at the end of the day, we’re fine with this move. We negotiate at $400K with a $50K bonus for achieving 150 innings in 1987, but he still wants more, so we hike it up to $500K, and his agent says that’s fair.

For today’s game, Juan Samuel gets a seat for Steve Jeltz. Gregg Jefferies moves to the two-hole.

Game 1986-93: Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium - Phillies 12, Braves 2 / 53-40

Another sweep, and we’re rolling right now. Mike Schmidt is hitting his stride after a 3-for-4 day with a two-run double and two-run homer. Glenn Wilson has a four-hit day, doubling twice and driving in three, and Paul Molitor has a three-hit day, bringing in two. Rickey Henderson also has three hits and swipes three bags. Twenty hits in all. Kevin Gross goes just 5.2 innings (a rain delay cuts his start short) but does just fine, giving up only a Gerald Perry homer.

With the game over and the team flying back home, I call Dick Howser and tell him what’s happening. Then I ask to speak with John Denny.

“John, big sweep, huh?”

“Sure. You’ve traded me, haven’t you?”

“I have. Boston wanted you and we worked something out.”

“You don’t think we can catch the Mets?”

“No, I think we can, but I also think your chances at making another postseason memory are much higher now.”

It’s a tough trade to execute. John gave us a great run, better than anyone could’ve imagined. He debuted with St. Louis in 1974 and made his presence felt in 1976, winning the league ERA title. He was up and down after that between the Cardinals and then the Indians, starting in 1980. His fortunes remained wobbly in Cleveland, and on Sept. 12, 1982, Bill Giles traded for him, sending Cleveland Wil Culmer, Jerry Reed, and Roy Smith. (Culmer is toiling around in the Indians system, and Reed is in AAA for Cleveland, hoping to make it to the majors soon. Smith, meanwhile, is 6-8 with a 4.67 ERA this season as a 24-year-old starter in Cleveland.)

As for Denny, he broke out once again as a Phillie, going 19-6 with a 2.37 ERA while winning the Cy Young in 1983. In 1984, he had a tougher go of it with a 9-9 record, but his 3.27 ERA was perfectly acceptable. Last season was a return to form, as he went 15-9 with a 2.68 ERA, and this year he’s started 5-6 with a 4.51 ERA, his worst season thus far as a Phillie.

His final numbers as a Phillie: 118 G, 799.1 IP, 48-32, 3.02 ERA, 487 K, 210 BB, 21.8 WAR

TRADE

To Boston Red Sox

SP John Denny (+ 20% contract)
3B/2B/SS/CF/1B Bill Lyons

To Philadelphia Phillies

SP Randy Johnson
LF/RF/1B Todd Benzinger
1B Pat Dodson
C Jeff Kaye

Corresponding moves:
  • SP Blaise Ilsley promoted to MLB Philadelphia
  • SP Jeff Ballard promoted to AAA Portland
  • 1B Pat Adams placed on irrevocable waivers
  • 3B Gib Siebert released
  • 2B Ramon Sambo released
  • 1B Jeff King promoted to AA Reading

We’ll see how Ilsley interacts with the clubhouse this time. As for King, I couldn’t keep him in Spartanburg any longer (359 PA, .325/.405/.633, 27 HR, 77 RBI, 69 K, 43 BB, 4.3 WAR). But he’ll play third base in Reading, to see if we can work on his defense while keeping Ricky Jordan at first base.

Also, SP Bruce Berenyi is ready to pitch again, so we activate him on the 40-man and send him to AAA Portland on an option. Marvin Freeman, who has struggled a bit, moves to the bullpen for a bit. Berenyi is not expected to be in Portland for too long - either he heads to Philly or he heads out.

July 24, 1986

Back home to take on Houston. I assemble the team to look into Larry Andersen trade targets. Scott Sanderson gets pushed up for this start.

Game 1986-94: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 1, Astros 0 / 54-40

Sanderson does his job, shutting out the Astros in five. The bullpen is phenomenal in keeping Houston off the board further, and in the eighth, Jeff Stone hits a sacrifice fly to score Darren Daulton.

As the game closes out, I get some reports from late-working staffers on what might be available for Larry Andersen. On the prospect side, it’s not a lot, with the exception maybe being Cardinals tweener Vince Coleman, who has 80-grade speed but can’t seem to earn a regular job thanks to his mediocre hitting. He’s a 24-year-old corner outfielder, so he doesn’t quite fit my needs.

If I need anything more, it’s depth back in my farm system (talking guys who can slot into A-ball). For that, there’s someone like Toronto prospect Santiago Garcia (29/39), a 20-year-old in AA with 70-grade speed and loads of gap power, right in the Juan Samuel mold. I like him, in fact, and might pounce, but I’d need more than just him.

Also, there’s 20-year-old Royals prospect Chito Martinez, a corner outfielder and first baseman with a good eye and burgeoning raw power. He has room to grow. I also like him. We’ll focus our energies on Toronto and Kansas City.

July 25, 1986

Still looking into Toronto and Kansas City as we continue the Astros series.

Game 1986-95: Veterans Stadium - Astros 10, Phillies 8 / 54-41

Starting Steve Carlton on three-days’ rest is apparently a bad idea, as the ‘Stros score six off lefty in 4.2 innings. Bill Doran hits two freaking homers in the game, while on our side, Rickey Henderson goes 3-for-3 with a double and homer, his 15th.

July 26, 1986

The Reds call me up and ask about Darren Daulton. I’m not moving him.

Tonight is Blaise Ilsley’s first major league start. We’ve waited a while for this one; I’m juiced up!

Game 1986-96: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 8, Astros 5 / 55-41

Boy, do I wish Dick Howser stopped Ilsley at six frames. The seventh was a minor disaster, as a very good two-run performance became a five-run (four earned) job, nearly losing us the game. His line: 6.1 IP, 4 ER, 9 H, 6 K, 2 BB. If not for the seventh: 6 IP, 2 ER, 5 H, 6 K, 2 BB. Anyway, Gregg Jefferies with four hits (now at .354/.390/.566), and “Pauly Big Play” Molitor with two big two-RBI singles.

In Seattle, Milwaukee’s Robin Yount collects his 2,000th career hit. He’s just 30 (his career began at age 18).

And here’s something fun that happened today in Clearwater: Steve Gasser struck out 10. And walked nine. He beat Miami.

Finally, we’re now 9.5 behind the Mets. It’s the first time since June 16 that we’ve been within single digits in the GB column of New York.

Meanwhile, Tommy Thompson has kidney stones. Sheesh. He’s also hitting .214/.260/.306 this season. Double sheesh.
  • C Tommy Thompson sent to 15-day injured list
  • C Mike LaValliere promoted to MLB Philadelphia

LaValliere was hitting .270/.339/.330 in Portland. No, no power at all, but he’s getting on base? I guess?

July 27, 1986

The best deal we can coax out of either team seems to be one of the players we listed previously (for Toronto it’s Santiago Garcia, and for Kansas City it’s Chito Martinez) plus a middling non-ranked reliever or light hitter. I like the idea of getting a lottery ticket in return for Andersen, but I’m not in love with either option yet. Plus, since we’re now 9.5 back, I want to see if we can make up any more ground over the next day or two. That might swing things a little more.

Bigger news: Steve Carlton has accepted the one-year extension. He’s on board for 1987, and the fans are happy about it. Look, if it means he retires a Phillie (I hope that’s what it means), then good.

Mike LaValliere starts today, as does Steve Jeltz at second base.

Game 1986-97: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 8, Astros 7 / 56-41

We get three of four against Houston in a back-and-forth contest. We go up 1-0, go down 3-1, go up 4-3, then 5-3, go down 6-5, then up 8-6, then 8-7. Mike Schmidt hits his 14th homer and drives in four, Mike LaValliere drives in three with two hits, and the bullpen turns in 3.1 innings of one-run ball.

We’re still 9.5 games behind the Mets.

Meantime, I’m getting no prospect bites on Enos Cabell, sans Baltimore offering SP Francisco Oliveras (33/33, 5.84 ERA, 82 K, 40 BB, 1.7 WAR), a 23-year-old in AAA. I really don’t have more room in Portland for pitching.

The only major leaguer that sounds interesting for Cabell is Dave Parker. Now with the Cubs, the right fielder is hitting .287/.325/.454 with 13 HR. He wouldn’t start, but he’d be a big power bat off the bench. I’m inclined to make this trade, and I call my team to justify, and one question: Who would back up Mike Schmidt at first base? Cabell, while bad at it, at least could play first.

My answer is that we send Jeff Stone to AAA and call up Todd Benzinger, who can play 1B, LF, CF, and RF all competently (45, 60, 35, 50). It would send Glenn Wilson to a full starting job while giving Benzinger a chance; plus, Stone - who hasn’t really been that great this year - can come back up in about a month, at worst.

They agree and approve the trade. So does Dan Kacala in Chicago. This is a quick one.

TRADE

To Chicago Cubs
1B/RF Enos Cabell

To Philadelphia Phillies
RF Dave Parker (40 percent of contract)

The new power rankings:

1. New York Mets - 66-32
2. Boston Red Sox - 65-34
3. PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES - 56-41
4. Toronto Blue Jays - 60-40
5. Detroit Tigers - 58-42

Look who’s crashed the party? First time here since June 15.