Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 6 Available

FHM 6 Available Now!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer
 
joefromchicago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,710
Thanks: 1,472
Thanked 1,975x in 1,008 posts
Can the world_default file be edited?

I tried making edits in the world_default.xml file -- in fact, I spent what seemed like the better part of the July 4 weekend trying to make changes in the .xml file and the in-game nation editor, all with no success. Others, however, say that changes in the .xml file can be made, and that changes in the nation editor can be saved. Don't tell me that such changes can theoretically be made. I don't want to know if you should be able to make those changes, I want to know if you can make those changes. I'd like to hear from people who have actually tried to change the .xml file or the settings in the nation editor if they have been successful or not, and, if they have, how did they do it.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer
 
ukhotstove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North of England Gods Country
Posts: 6,628
Thanks: 488
Thanked 492x in 345 posts
I've always liked OOTP simply because you can come on here ask a question and it will be answered, sometimes you even get the people behind the game answering your questions. I have to say though this time I find it very disappointing that in what is a big change in fact a massive change for fictional players, a change from OOTP11 and txt files to OOTP12 and xml files hasn't been talked about apart from Muzamba's posts.

Despite numerous posts and questions from numerous people from the boards questions still go unanswered, I'd even have expected Markus who I take was the one who decided to change from txt to xml would have at least come in with a couple of questions. Maybe next time I'll buy iOOTP or give a donation to the paypal account it seems these get alot of time devoted to them

Being serious though I hope you get your question answered because until I get questions like this answered then I'm afraid I'll be sticking with 11, as I don't trust 12 with what I want to change within the files.
__________________
Wigan Athletic
2013 FA Cup Winners.
2014 FA Cup Semi Finalists.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
3 thanks for this post:
albatross11 (07-05-2011), Chicagofan76 (07-05-2011), tylertoo (07-05-2011)
Old 07-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer
 
joefromchicago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,710
Thanks: 1,472
Thanked 1,975x in 1,008 posts
I completely agree.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
reds1
Hall Of Famer
 
reds1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,429
Thanks: 1,612
Thanked 2,049x in 736 posts
For what it's worth, I made edits to the world_default file to add my fictional country and associated cities and ethnicities by following Muzamba's tutorial and got it to work. I made the edits directly in notepad.

However, it sounds as though you would like to edit existing information; if so, then I couldn't comment on that. Hopefully, someone else can.
__________________
reds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
tylertoo
Major Leagues
 
tylertoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 312
Blog Entries: 6
Thanks: 294
Thanked 105x in 65 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds1 View Post
For what it's worth, I made edits to the world_default file to add my fictional country and associated cities and ethnicities by following Muzamba's tutorial and got it to work. I made the edits directly in notepad.

However, it sounds as though you would like to edit existing information; if so, then I couldn't comment on that. Hopefully, someone else can.
Reds, would you be able to post your edited .xml file here? I'd love to see how you did it.
__________________
Check out my OOTP-inspired novel "Lord Bart and the Leagues of SIP and ALE"!
tylertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer
 
joefromchicago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,710
Thanks: 1,472
Thanked 1,975x in 1,008 posts
I'd like to see that too.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
reds1
Hall Of Famer
 
reds1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,429
Thanks: 1,612
Thanked 2,049x in 736 posts
Here's some screen grabs. I admittedly don't have alot of cities and I've kept the populations simple. I made sure that my city populations agreed with the state and nation populations.

I added my info after the Falkland Islands & started at ID numbers well above those already used.






__________________
reds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 thanks for this post:
Chicagofan76 (07-05-2011), tylertoo (07-05-2011), ukhotstove (07-07-2011)
Old 07-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #8
tylertoo
Major Leagues
 
tylertoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 312
Blog Entries: 6
Thanks: 294
Thanked 105x in 65 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
I tried making edits in the world_default.xml file -- in fact, I spent what seemed like the better part of the July 4 weekend trying to make changes in the .xml file and the in-game nation editor, all with no success. Others, however, say that changes in the .xml file can be made, and that changes in the nation editor can be saved. Don't tell me that such changes can theoretically be made. I don't want to know if you should be able to make those changes, I want to know if you can make those changes. I'd like to hear from people who have actually tried to change the .xml file or the settings in the nation editor if they have been successful or not, and, if they have, how did they do it.
Joe, when you say "all with no success", did you mean that the changes crashed the game, or the changes didn't stick, or something else?

I have seen reference, I believe, in another thread to changes in the .xml not sticking, that it reverts back to the original.

Also, I have seen recommendations to use Notepad++ for the editing (freeware), have you tried this?
__________________
Check out my OOTP-inspired novel "Lord Bart and the Leagues of SIP and ALE"!
tylertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
tylertoo
Major Leagues
 
tylertoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 312
Blog Entries: 6
Thanks: 294
Thanked 105x in 65 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds1 View Post
Here's some screen grabs.
Thanks, these are very helpful.

Are the ethnicity IDs referencing fictional ethnicities?
__________________
Check out my OOTP-inspired novel "Lord Bart and the Leagues of SIP and ALE"!
tylertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
Chicagofan76
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Diamond, IL
Posts: 6,339
Thanks: 3,340
Thanked 579x in 505 posts
Infractions: 2/2 (3)
Reds1 what was the many lines for ethnicity for? thought in 11 there were only 4 options?
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #11
Markmeister
Major Leagues
 
Markmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 463
Thanks: 11
Thanked 30x in 27 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagofan76 View Post
Reds1 what was the many lines for ethnicity for? thought in 11 there were only 4 options?
There were, but it appears that now you can use all 40 [id# 0 to 39] If you look at the world default.xml that ships with the game, the United States uses 36 of the ethnicities.

I was able to verify that the upper id# of 39 is probably hard coded. I tried adding ethnicity 40 to the XML file but OOTP wouldn't recognize it when I looked at the nation editor.
__________________
It's not that baseball has ever had a shortage of ways to embarrass yourself -- dropping an easy flyball, being the one guy Heathcliff Slocumb actually struck out, realizing you're Bud Selig...

Jersey style logos
Vintage letter logos
Vintage uniforms

Last edited by Markmeister; 07-05-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Markmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:27 PM   #12
reds1
Hall Of Famer
 
reds1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,429
Thanks: 1,612
Thanked 2,049x in 736 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylertoo View Post
Thanks, these are very helpful.

Are the ethnicity IDs referencing fictional ethnicities?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagofan76 View Post
Reds1 what was the many lines for ethnicity for? thought in 11 there were only 4 options?
The ethnicity IDs reference actual ethnicities listed in the default file as Markmeister mentions. I've attached a screenshot of the list.

I was going to mention that I was disappointed that a British ethnicity was not included this time around, but I just noticed that it's listed as #20. D'oh!

That's OK - I've only set up a test league thus far and I'm still tweaking things.

__________________
reds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Chicagofan76 (07-06-2011)
Old 07-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #13
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer
 
joefromchicago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,710
Thanks: 1,472
Thanked 1,975x in 1,008 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylertoo View Post
Joe, when you say "all with no success", did you mean that the changes crashed the game, or the changes didn't stick, or something else?
Both. It either crashed the game or else the changes wouldn't stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylertoo View Post
Also, I have seen recommendations to use Notepad++ for the editing (freeware), have you tried this?
No, I've been using WordPad.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:37 AM   #14
Muzamba
Hall Of Famer
 
Muzamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,325
Thanks: 1,010
Thanked 857x in 411 posts
Sorry I haven't been available to offer feedback for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
I tried making edits in the world_default.xml file -- in fact, I spent what seemed like the better part of the July 4 weekend trying to make changes in the .xml file and the in-game nation editor, all with no success. Others, however, say that changes in the .xml file can be made, and that changes in the nation editor can be saved. Don't tell me that such changes can theoretically be made. I don't want to know if you should be able to make those changes, I want to know if you can make those changes. I'd like to hear from people who have actually tried to change the .xml file or the settings in the nation editor if they have been successful or not, and, if they have, how did they do it.
Please keep in mind that you still can't import changes to the xml file into a game that you have already started. Any edits you make will only take effect when you start a new game. Hopefully, that will at least provide an explanation as to why the re-imported data isn't sticking. If you start a new league after re-importing the xml db and it still causes problems, let me know so I can log it as a bug. (I was sincerely hoping that the new system would allow us to make changes to a saved game, but that apparently isn't the case. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markmeister View Post
There were, but it appears that now you can use all 40 [id# 0 to 39] If you look at the world default.xml that ships with the game, the United States uses 36 of the ethnicities.

I was able to verify that the upper id# of 39 is probably hard coded. I tried adding ethnicity 40 to the XML file but OOTP wouldn't recognize it when I looked at the nation editor.
This is correct. You can indeed now have up to 40 ethnicities for each nation. Unfortunately, there is still a hardcoded limit to the number of ethnicities you can have in the game. (However, as has been the case for years, you can always change any of the 40 ethnicities to something different if you want.) The 40-ethnicity limit is yet another thing I'm going to continue to press Markus and Andreas to change. Granted, it's not practical to expect that every conceivable language will eventually be represented in OOTP, but I believe we need at least twice the current limit to have a somewhat realistic array of namesets. (I'm also pushing for the ability to edit ethnicities at the state and maybe even the city level in the future.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
I've always liked OOTP simply because you can come on here ask a question and it will be answered, sometimes you even get the people behind the game answering your questions. I have to say though this time I find it very disappointing that in what is a big change in fact a massive change for fictional players, a change from OOTP11 and txt files to OOTP12 and xml files hasn't been talked about apart from Muzamba's posts.

Despite numerous posts and questions from numerous people from the boards questions still go unanswered, I'd even have expected Markus who I take was the one who decided to change from txt to xml would have at least come in with a couple of questions. Maybe next time I'll buy iOOTP or give a donation to the paypal account it seems these get alot of time devoted to them

Being serious though I hope you get your question answered because until I get questions like this answered then I'm afraid I'll be sticking with 11, as I don't trust 12 with what I want to change within the files.
I must admit that I'm also troubled by the fact that I seem to be the only person with any inside knowledge about the new db system that has even attempted to provide any answers. When it comes to the db, I've basically gotten nothing but radio silence from M&A since the game was released. I guess the basics are working just enough that it's not really seen as a high priority at the moment, at least compared to some other issues.

I think the overall problem is that despite the decision being made to implement the new system as early as last fall, it really didn't get much attention until late in the beta process. Andreas, to his credit, pushed for and was given the green light to code the new db, but I kind of get the impression Markus was never totally convinced that any sort of update to the system was really even necessary.

I personally consider myself to be the biggest non-development team advocate for a comprehensive redesign of the db (although I didn't specifically push for the conversion to xml). The problem is that most users don't seem to care that much or at least don't publicly express their desire that the db be updated, so Markus doesn't seem to see it as a major area of concern.

However, the purpose of this rant isn't to say anything disparaging about Markus. I just want to encourage those for whom it IS a priority to be vocal about it and let your feelings be known. I have a very comprehensive proposal on the table to revamp the entire OOTP db for v13 that will make the game's output much more realistic and should allow for more editing options by the user, but it's probably going to require strong support from the OOTP community to get Markus' attention.

So if you want to see all the issues that have been discussed in this thread addressed soon, please take every opportunity you can to mention how important this is to you.
__________________
"It may be nothing. But it usually is always something and more than something." - Cardinals GM John Mozeliak

Last edited by Muzamba; 07-06-2011 at 04:44 AM.
Muzamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
ukhotstove (07-07-2011)
Old 07-06-2011, 07:02 AM   #15
Chicagofan76
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Diamond, IL
Posts: 6,339
Thanks: 3,340
Thanked 579x in 505 posts
Infractions: 2/2 (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzamba View Post
Sorry I haven't been available to offer feedback for a while.



Please keep in mind that you still can't import changes to the xml file into a game that you have already started. Any edits you make will only take effect when you start a new game. Hopefully, that will at least provide an explanation as to why the re-imported data isn't sticking. If you start a new league after re-importing the xml db and it still causes problems, let me know so I can log it as a bug. (I was sincerely hoping that the new system would allow us to make changes to a saved game, but that apparently isn't the case. )
Does this include a converted game from 11 to 12?
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #16
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 6,387
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 3,789
Thanked 3,214x in 1,502 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagofan76 View Post
Reds1 what was the many lines for ethnicity for? thought in 11 there were only 4 options?
Those "ethnicities" are the languages used in creating names. Thus the "lid" (landgauge ID). They are poorly named as ethnicities. And there are 40 languages.
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #17
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Newark, Notts, UK
Posts: 4,681
Thanks: 15,263
Thanked 1,079x in 720 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzamba View Post
So if you want to see all the issues that have been discussed in this thread addressed soon, please take every opportunity you can to mention how important this is to you.
Has there been any official comment on the issue of US ethnicities being hard-coded?
__________________

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #18
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer
 
joefromchicago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,710
Thanks: 1,472
Thanked 1,975x in 1,008 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzamba View Post
Please keep in mind that you still can't import changes to the xml file into a game that you have already started. Any edits you make will only take effect when you start a new game. Hopefully, that will at least provide an explanation as to why the re-imported data isn't sticking.
Nope, that doesn't help at all. I make changes to the .xml file and then start a new game. The game would either crash on start-up, tell me that I had made some unfixable errors in the .xml file, or else the changes that I made wouldn't stick. I never tried to change the .xml file and apply those changes to a game already in progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzamba View Post
If you start a new league after re-importing the xml db and it still causes problems, let me know so I can log it as a bug. (I was sincerely hoping that the new system would allow us to make changes to a saved game, but that apparently isn't the case. )
Consider yourself notified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzamba View Post
This is correct. You can indeed now have up to 40 ethnicities for each nation. Unfortunately, there is still a hardcoded limit to the number of ethnicities you can have in the game. (However, as has been the case for years, you can always change any of the 40 ethnicities to something different if you want.) The 40-ethnicity limit is yet another thing I'm going to continue to press Markus and Andreas to change. Granted, it's not practical to expect that every conceivable language will eventually be represented in OOTP, but I believe we need at least twice the current limit to have a somewhat realistic array of namesets. (I'm also pushing for the ability to edit ethnicities at the state and maybe even the city level in the future.)
Actually, the game right now only uses 38 ethnicities (or, more accurately, language id's). Ethnicities 33 (French Canadian) and 39 (American Historical) aren't used at all by the game. And since the game's databases can't be changed (or can they? we may never know), those ethnicities never get used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzamba View Post
I personally consider myself to be the biggest non-development team advocate for a comprehensive redesign of the db (although I didn't specifically push for the conversion to xml). The problem is that most users don't seem to care that much or at least don't publicly express their desire that the db be updated, so Markus doesn't seem to see it as a major area of concern.
For me, the strongest selling point for OOTP is its ease of customization. I never play historical leagues -- there are plenty of baseball simulations on the market that can do that. I play only fictional leagues, because that gives me the opportunity to customize the game according to the way I like it. I put a lot of work into making schedules and logos, and I've added about 300 or so names to the American Historical - 39 db because I play a lot of reserve-era games and don't want to deal with a bunch of Justins and Jasons. It's aggravating, then, that 2011 demographics are being imposed on everyone for every era, especially when demographics were easily customizable in previous versions of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzamba View Post
So if you want to see all the issues that have been discussed in this thread addressed soon, please take every opportunity you can to mention how important this is to you.
I'm doing my bit.

Last edited by joefromchicago; 07-06-2011 at 11:27 AM.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #19
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer
 
joefromchicago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,710
Thanks: 1,472
Thanked 1,975x in 1,008 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds1 View Post
Here's some screen grabs. I admittedly don't have alot of cities and I've kept the populations simple. I made sure that my city populations agreed with the state and nation populations.

I added my info after the Falkland Islands & started at ID numbers well above those already used.
If you've been successful in adding to the .xml file, then the problem may simply be in trying to alter the existing data for the nations already in the game. Looking at the in-game nation editor, it seems clear that the language id options for each nation are hard-coded. Algeria, for instance, has only one slot available for a language id. So, if you tried to go into the .xml file and give Algeria two language id's, you'd either get an error message or the game would crash. I've found, however, that you can't even change the language id's that are already there. I tried to change the US language id set from 36 different languages to just one -- US Historical 39. That didn't work either.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #20
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Newark, Notts, UK
Posts: 4,681
Thanks: 15,263
Thanked 1,079x in 720 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
If you've been successful in adding to the .xml file, then the problem may simply be in trying to alter the existing data for the nations already in the game. Looking at the in-game nation editor, it seems clear that the language id options for each nation are hard-coded. Algeria, for instance, has only one slot available for a language id. So, if you tried to go into the .xml file and give Algeria two language id's, you'd either get an error message or the game would crash. I've found, however, that you can't even change the language id's that are already there. I tried to change the US language id set from 36 different languages to just one -- US Historical 39. That didn't work either.
If this is true then there is effectively no point in the XML file being editable.
__________________

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
albatross11 (07-06-2011), Chicagofan76 (07-06-2011)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:03 AM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments