Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions

Old 09-08-2016, 10:04 PM   #1
redtiger7
All Star Starter

Compensation picks

I've had an RFA signed and got an email informing me I recieved 3 1st round picks in compensation. But I don't see them in the trading window. Where are they?
redtiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:10 PM   #2
redtiger7
All Star Starter

SO no one knows where they went to?
redtiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:02 PM   #3
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtiger7 View Post
SO no one knows where they went to?
There seemed to be an issue going on with some saved files.

(1) You can report this as a ticket Submit a ticket - Powered by Kayako Help Desk Software - and there may be an issue you can fix.

(2) If you're in the mode, just fix it yourself. Go to the team who should have been coughing up the picks and assign them to you.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:15 PM   #4
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

I've never yet seen actual compensation awarded. What are the requirements? Or does this not begin until a certain point?

I've simmed to '83, but maybe that isn't far enough.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:05 PM   #5
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEWHistory View Post
I've never yet seen actual compensation awarded. What are the requirements? Or does this not begin until a certain point?

I've simmed to '83, but maybe that isn't far enough.
Compensation is something you'll see more in the the Newer game rather than historical because...well historical would take a long time to emulate correctly.

Quick Facts:

- Compensation occurs during the time when a play is a Restricted Free Agent. Since the introduction of the salary cap, a tier system is now in place based on the value on the contracts. Teams still have a chance to match the offer, but typically it'll looking something like:

Less than $1,239,226 Nothing
Over $1,239,226 to $1,877,615 Third-round pick
Over $1,877,615 to $3,755,233 Second-round pick
Over $3,755,233 to $5,632,847 First and third-round picks
Over $5,632,847 to $7,510,464 First, second and third-round picks
Over $7,510,464 to $9,388,080 Two firsts, a second and third-round picks
Over $9,388,080 Four first-round picks

Salaries amounts are calculated on a 5 year scale however, no matter how long the contract actually is. This is important when you take in consideration when for instance, their was rumors Boston was going to try and sign Jacob Trouba. Due to the fact they traded away some picks, they would have been forced to give Trouba a contract value of at least 9.388 over 5 years - which would have cost them 4 First Round Picks. Not a smart move and luckily they wised up.

- Previously, Offer Sheets more of less started in late 1980s when Restricted FAs actually kinda became a thing that mattered. Teams offered contracts, but then also had to offer up compensation (often a player and draft pick), so the team potentially losing the player could either choose to match the offer or gain a little back.

This changed however with 1991 when the Blues signed Devils RFA Brendan Shanahan to a deal. The Blues offered G Curtis Joseph, C Rod Brind'Amour and two draft picks, but the Devils asked for a solid young player - Scott Stevens. It eventually went to an arbitrator and he awarded Scott Stevens to the Devils....which is where we seem compensation change a bit again. Teams began 'Swinging for the Fences' with asks back. Not all got them, but it changed the way business was done again.

I'm going to say this is something Jeff would probably like to add to the series in future, but creating and tasking an AI logic to balance it out would take significant work. It's much easier to replicate in the current and future years since we now have a basis for it.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:03 AM   #6
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
Compensation is something you'll see more in the the Newer game rather than historical because...well historical would take a long time to emulate correctly.

Quick Facts:

- Compensation occurs during the time when a play is a Restricted Free Agent. Since the introduction of the salary cap, a tier system is now in place based on the value on the contracts. Teams still have a chance to match the offer, but typically it'll looking something like:

Less than $1,239,226 Nothing
Over $1,239,226 to $1,877,615 Third-round pick
Over $1,877,615 to $3,755,233 Second-round pick
Over $3,755,233 to $5,632,847 First and third-round picks
Over $5,632,847 to $7,510,464 First, second and third-round picks
Over $7,510,464 to $9,388,080 Two firsts, a second and third-round picks
Over $9,388,080 Four first-round picks

Salaries amounts are calculated on a 5 year scale however, no matter how long the contract actually is. This is important when you take in consideration when for instance, their was rumors Boston was going to try and sign Jacob Trouba. Due to the fact they traded away some picks, they would have been forced to give Trouba a contract value of at least 9.388 over 5 years - which would have cost them 4 First Round Picks. Not a smart move and luckily they wised up.

- Previously, Offer Sheets more of less started in late 1980s when Restricted FAs actually kinda became a thing that mattered. Teams offered contracts, but then also had to offer up compensation (often a player and draft pick), so the team potentially losing the player could either choose to match the offer or gain a little back.

This changed however with 1991 when the Blues signed Devils RFA Brendan Shanahan to a deal. The Blues offered G Curtis Joseph, C Rod Brind'Amour and two draft picks, but the Devils asked for a solid young player - Scott Stevens. It eventually went to an arbitrator and he awarded Scott Stevens to the Devils....which is where we seem compensation change a bit again. Teams began 'Swinging for the Fences' with asks back. Not all got them, but it changed the way business was done again.

I'm going to say this is something Jeff would probably like to add to the series in future, but creating and tasking an AI logic to balance it out would take significant work. It's much easier to replicate in the current and future years since we now have a basis for it.
This is great info, thanks. I don't think I realized, historically, how game-changing the Shanahan and Stevens situation was. I guess I should've being a Devils fan, but I just never put it all together until you wrote it up like this. That's awesome.

I was wondering about why it always said "no compensation" for players when I was swimming. Now I totally get it. The more I play the more I like the decisions the designers have made. Yea, the game could use tweaks (what game couldn't?) but for the second iteration of FHM this sim is excellent.

As an aside, the tool tips are wonderful and I'd like to see more if possible. This is a possible area where a tooltip might help. An explanation like what Adam just wrote, popping up somewhere, about compensation would save peeps like myself wondering about certain things. The only downside I can think of is with the game changing so much I can understand why you don't want to write in too many explanations for things that will change, but I figured I'd put this out there as a thought.

EDIT: I. just realized I had a question. Does this mean that compensation isnt/won't be simulated at all for the historical mode? Or am I misreading your post?

Last edited by AEWHistory; 09-21-2016 at 01:06 AM.
AEWHistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:30 AM   #7
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
This is great info, thanks. I don't think I realized, historically, how game-changing the Shanahan and Stevens situation was. I guess I should've being a Devils fan, but I just never put it all together until you wrote it up like this. That's awesome.

I was wondering about why it always said "no compensation" for players when I was swimming. Now I totally get it. The more I play the more I like the decisions the designers have made. Yea, the game could use tweaks (what game couldn't?) but for the second iteration of FHM this sim is excellent.

As an aside, the tool tips are wonderful and I'd like to see more if possible. This is a possible area where a tooltip might help. An explanation like what Adam just wrote, popping up somewhere, about compensation would save peeps like myself wondering about certain things. The only downside I can think of is with the game changing so much I can understand why you don't want to write in too many explanations for things that will change, but I figured I'd put this out there as a thought.

EDIT: I. just realized I had a question. Does this mean that compensation isnt/won't be simulated at all for the historical mode? Or am I misreading your post?
I know I've had discussions with Jeff (even on the Weekly Twitch stream) regarding some of the knowledge. If we have the time to put things together, it's something we could look at. Maybe having almost a glossary/info page is something we could do - but if that's the case, it's going to take a decent amount of work even (with hopefully) community input.

As for your question - I'm not sure how well Compensation will work up until the more modern time (which you can get to and go past of course). The big thing (which most should care about though) is the ability to match offers. Not having that would be a much bigger issue.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:27 PM   #8
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

I hate my iPad autocorrect! That was supposed to be SIMing not swimming.....
Old 09-22-2016, 11:42 PM   #9
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
I know I've had discussions with Jeff (even on the Weekly Twitch stream) regarding some of the knowledge. If we have the time to put things together, it's something we could look at. Maybe having almost a glossary/info page is something we could do - but if that's the case, it's going to take a decent amount of work even (with hopefully) community input.

As for your question - I'm not sure how well Compensation will work up until the more modern time (which you can get to and go past of course). The big thing (which most should care about though) is the ability to match offers. Not having that would be a much bigger issue.
A glossary is a wonderful idea! In fact, I think it will work better than tool tips in some ways ways because all the info will be concentrated in one area. I know it would take a lot of work, but I'd gladly chip in for some glossary items (and tool tips as well). I often have time in between teaching during the fall and spring semesters and again during summer. I'm sure I can a bit of time elsewhere as well.... so long as it doesn't cut into my FHM SIMing time! I've got a dynasty to manage here.

About compensation: I agree that the main thing is offer matching, which is already there. When I get some time I'll sim ahead to the '90s and play around.

Thanks again for the info!