Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 10:58 AM   #41
MarinerGM

He wasn't, the owner decided to keep him. Which was the smart move since he is one of the best pitchers in the league.

Old 11-24-2004, 10:59 AM   #42
STLFAN2003
Minors (Double A)

you're saying I dont have a good understanding of the game, but getting rid of expensive players qualifies as that. The first two trades were absolutely no problem. And who was Edwin Jackson traded for. He was traded with Adrain Beltre for AROD. Big difference.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:09 AM   #43
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

I don't know any of the guys in question so I'm not attacking or defending anyone,and to be honest I think only the guys in the league can say if it was right or wrong to kick this GM out as they are the only ones with the full facts,but I have to say maybe leagues should ask what kind of experience guys have in OOTP so they can better fit the league and not just fill the numbers,also have to say that leagues who take newbies in should give them a bit of a chance like the first league I joined knew I was a newbie and I have to say I made some bad trades but they let me learn the hard way and its helped me to build some good teams in other leagues and helped me to take over bad teams and build them up.Anyways in ending I think it takes a certain kind of Commish to run a league that lets newbies in as he needs to have patience with them and needs to make time to help them develop into better GM's.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:17 AM   #44
jnshmoo
All Star Starter

You guys have some sort of super secret ratings system that is separate from the game or something?

It sounds like you guys were expecting him to play a "role" in the running of the Yankees that mirrors real life to some degree. Was he expected to only go after the high paid talent and spend money like it's going out of style like Steinbrenner?

Everyone has a different style. For you guys to run around and say that this guy doesn't understand what he is doing is rather harsh. He just joined your league. None of you have any idea of whether or not he knows what he is doing. His trades could have helped his team in ways that the rest of you wouldn't think of.

Personally, If I were the commish, I would have let things play out for awhile. If he continued to make questionable decisions and obviously appeared to be running the team into the ground, then things might be different.

Teams make mistakes by hiring the wrong guy all the time. You don't see them firing them instantly without seeing how things go.

Did you guys even offer to let him explain his reasoning to you?

Old 11-24-2004, 11:20 AM   #45
STLFAN2003
Minors (Double A)

no they didnt offer. I did it for them. They never responded to why it was wrong and/or what they would havd done differently.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:28 AM   #46
jnshmoo
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLFAN2003
no they didnt offer. I did it for them. They never responded to why it was wrong and/or what they would havd done differently.
If I were you, I wouldn't be too upset. In light of what transpired, you should probably be happy that things went down like they did. At least now you know that this isn't a league that you would want to be a part of before you had invested much time in it.

It took me a LONG time to finally join a league. I did a lot of research and watched several leagues behind the scenes before I chose a few that I was interested in. Your situation is exactly why I did what I did. Certain groups seem to tend toward a particular style and if you don't fit into their mold, it isn't going to work. This is what happened to you. The guys in this league don't seem like they are all bad, they just have certain expectations of their GM's that don't fit with your style is all.

I'd suggest looking around and try to find a league that doesn't scrutinize your decisions so harshly and is willing to let you run your team your way and let you make mistakes and learn from them and possibly give them opportunity to eat crow when your moves work out.

Old 11-24-2004, 11:32 AM   #47
halofan26
All Star Starter

THE best baseball info and fan site ever
The best Angels fan site
"Because i got high" - Afroman
Old 11-24-2004, 11:45 AM   #48
MarinerGM

The only thing we ask of our Gm's is to do whats in the best interest of their organization. In our league we don't see the benfeits of letting someone run a team into the ground as a learning experience, maybe our thinking is wrong but if we can be pro active and solve a problem as soon as we see it, we do. I admire so many of the owners who posted preaching patience, it comforts me to know that andrew won't have a problem finding a new league since I am sure these same people will welcome him with open arms into their own leagues.

Old 11-24-2004, 11:53 AM   #49
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by halofan26
I concuir, pass the salt

PT22

Old 11-24-2004, 12:32 PM   #50
Cyclone792
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnshmoo
You guys have some sort of super secret ratings system that is separate from the game or something?
Maybe it's a rating system that's on double secret probation or something. Who knows, your guess is as good as mine, lol.

Quote:
It sounds like you guys were expecting him to play a "role" in the running of the Yankees that mirrors real life to some degree. Was he expected to only go after the high paid talent and spend money like it's going out of style like Steinbrenner?

Everyone has a different style. For you guys to run around and say that this guy doesn't understand what he is doing is rather harsh. He just joined your league. None of you have any idea of whether or not he knows what he is doing. His trades could have helped his team in ways that the rest of you wouldn't think of.

Personally, If I were the commish, I would have let things play out for awhile. If he continued to make questionable decisions and obviously appeared to be running the team into the ground, then things might be different.

Teams make mistakes by hiring the wrong guy all the time. You don't see them firing them instantly without seeing how things go.

Did you guys even offer to let him explain his reasoning to you?
What he said above.....

POTD: Co-Commish and Glacier Bay Ice Pirates
Old 11-24-2004, 12:34 PM   #51
Cyclone792
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Share the bag, Mike!!!

Better yet, I'll just steal your's!

Old 11-24-2004, 12:38 PM   #52
halofan26
All Star Starter

ok now you are sooooo fired! First you join my leagues and win 6 titles in the last 7 years in three seperate leagues, you make fun of my rants and my mini-van, then you steal my popcorn? yeah you are sooo gone

ULB, POTD and ATD are actively seeking a replacemtn co-commish at this time lol
The best Angels fan site
Old 11-24-2004, 12:47 PM   #53
Cyclone792
All Star Reserve

Quote:
ok now you are sooooo fired! First you join my leagues and win 6 titles in the last 7 years in three seperate leagues, you make fun of my rants and my mini-van, then you steal my popcorn? yeah you are sooo gone

ULB, POTD and ATD are actively seeking a replacemtn co-commish at this time lol
LOL, whooooo! Take some notes fellas, cause that's how to get kicked out of a league! The fashionable way isn't making bad trades, it's making fun of the commish's minivan!

Old 11-24-2004, 12:48 PM   #54
halofan26
All Star Starter

Christina is gonna smack you lol....you are so in trouble now
The best Angels fan site
Old 11-24-2004, 12:52 PM   #55
Cyclone792
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Christina is gonna smack you lol....you are so in trouble now
FYI, it was Chip that coined the title "Minivan Mike" so yell at him too! LOL! And I've only grabbed five titles in your leagues, the sixth was in Sam's league, Ball Alive Though the immediate goal is win another in POTD and then win it this season in Chip's league, SMLB.

Now if only I could figure out a plan for Shag... cause I'm gonna need one, LOL.

Old 11-24-2004, 12:58 PM   #56
Melo
All Star Starter

I don't think the trades look all that bad, considering the fact that the owner looks to be cutting payroll. This is addressed in the email #2:

[/QUOTE]
None of these trade helped your team, and the Yankees have never been known
to cut payroll. We had several people look at these trades and no one could
understand your reasoning. These were not good trades on your part and we
don't have to be looking over every trade you make. In all of the trades
made last year, only one needed to be redone. You already had two that were rejected by the trade committee. We just don't think that you are a good fit for our league. I'm sorry but there will be no reconsideration.

Sorry again
Randy[/QUOTE]

Since when does what the real Yankees have to do with anything? Is this a roleplaying league?

You tell me what owner wouldn't be looking to dump either Bernie or Colon based on their age, salary and the way 6.11 deals with aging? Maybe he could have gotten a bit more but that's not enough to dump him.

You think your better off without him? I think he's better off without you.

Last edited by Melo; 11-24-2004 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:11 PM   #57
IatricSB
Hall Of Famer

I don't understand why he would be kicked out given the reasons mentioned in this thread. There have been a couple kicked out of leagues I was in, but the things they did make this guy look like a choirboy. Veto the trades if you must (although I didn't see anything worth vetoing), but kicked out?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a Ride!"

Chicago(N) - Boys of Summer
Oakland - 20th Century League
Bakersfield - Wild Things
Brooklyn - QBA
Dodge City - NBSL
California - ABC

Dodger's Senioriest fan on the OOTP Boards
Old 11-24-2004, 01:13 PM   #58
IatricSB
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinerGM
Here is an example, the owner of the SF Giants in our league is a newbie, this is his first league. As soon as he joined the league he started getting pelted with trade offers for Jason Schmidt, he sat back and said " ok i don't know much about how guys are valued in this league yet, but i know jason schmidt must be pretty decent if everyone wants him".
Sharks getting a whiff of fresh blood?

I've always hated it when established owners try to take advantage of a newbie by offering lopsided trades. I've seen it before and in extreme cases have seen it disallowed. Not saying this is the same since no details were mentioned.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a Ride!"

Chicago(N) - Boys of Summer
Oakland - 20th Century League
Bakersfield - Wild Things
Brooklyn - QBA
Dodge City - NBSL
California - ABC

Dodger's Senioriest fan on the OOTP Boards
Old 11-24-2004, 01:17 PM   #59
Cyclone792
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melo
Since when does what the real Yankees have to do with anything? Is this a roleplaying league?

You tell me what owner wouldn't be looking to dump either Bernie or Colon based on their age, salary and the way 6.11 deals with aging? Maybe he could have gotten a bit more but that's not enough to dump him.

You think your better off without him? I think he's better off without you.
Some interesting quotes buried within this thread that supports Melo...

"None of these trade helped your team, and the Yankees have never been known to cut payroll." -- rewc27

"I want to run a highly competitive league." -- rewc27

"...since they reflect moves made by a team who was in dire financial straits and needed to desperately dump payroll, and the team he was running the yankees had just made a 70 mill profit in year 1 and had a 122 mill TV contract for year 2 with only a 99 mill payroll..." -- MarinerGM

"...In a league filled with veteren OOTP'ers no one wants to worry about having to be a watchdog of 1 gm, especially if he is running the yanks, its easier to just get a seasoned Gm who has a better udnerstanding of the value of players and who will make sound decisions in to replace him..." --MarinerGM

I even threw some key points in italics here. IMO, this isn't about the trades at all, but seems to be more about the owners in this specific league want the Yanks to be ran a specific way. And if the Yanks' owner doesn't run the team parallel to their desired method, they drum up some excuse to kick him out. Given the RIDICULOUS broadcast revenue the Yankees apparently have in this league, the desired method appears to be that the team should maintain a high payroll and consistently be competitive with expensive veterans. So any attempts made by any newcoming owner to rebuild and mold the team to their liking will be met with swift resistance.

Who knows, maybe I'm wrong, but after reading everything in this thread closely, that's where the underlying problem appears.

Old 11-24-2004, 01:29 PM   #60
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It took me a LONG time to finally join a league. I did a lot of research and watched several leagues behind the scenes before I chose a few that I was interested in.
And then you decided to become a wannabe minion?!?!? D00d, go back and do some more research!