Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 12:17 AM   #21
STLFAN2003
Minors (Double A)

he threatened to tell my ISP that I am harrasing him

4 emails in 4 hours.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:19 AM   #22
halofan26
All Star Starter

well in order for me to remove a player from my league because of bad trades, it has to be a WHOLE lot of bad trades. I am pretty relaxed when it comes to trades so if you have been removed for a trading reason from one of my leagues then you rEALLY got on my bad side lol
THE best baseball info and fan site ever
The best Angels fan site
"Because i got high" - Afroman
Old 11-24-2004, 12:22 AM   #23
rewc27
All Star Reserve

I understand what you were asking Jeremy and I apologize if I came off as being short or rude. It's just been one of those nights. Different people have different views on how things should be done. Im not saying I am right and the others are wrong. I am just saying the way I like to run my league. As I said everyone has different opinions which is why there are like 20 trillion OOTP online league. To each their own. It just infuriates me when someone like Andrew wont let it go.

Peace

Now Defunct Arcanum league - Phillies 1934 World Series Champs

Commish of the long time running (now defunct) UMBL.

Real Estate Needs
www.randysellsyourhome.com
Old 11-24-2004, 12:24 AM   #24
rewc27
All Star Reserve

You just dont get it. You are not welcome in my league. You are not making me look bad, you are making a fool of yourself. Move on get over it and please just leave me alone. Can I be any more clear than that.

Real Estate Needs
Old 11-24-2004, 12:40 AM   #25
benchwarmer
Banned

I agree with rewc27 that you should just move on. Fact is, it is his league and he can remove anyone he so desires, justicified or not justicified. I also agree that you are making yourself look worse with all this nonsense talk then you are making him look like an unfair commissioner.

I can see both sides, but it's been stated many times you are not welcome in his league, a decision that he is entitled to make. Mike already told you that he had openings his 4 of his leagues and i'm sure you'll be able to run a team in one if you so desire.

Cheers,
BW
Old 11-24-2004, 01:50 AM   #26
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

guess I was right, it is getting intresting

PT22

Old 11-24-2004, 01:52 AM   #27
halofan26
All Star Starter

*singing "Three's Company" theme song*

Whatever happened to the happy care free days of the late 70's?
THE best baseball info and fan site ever
The best Angels fan site
"Because i got high" - Afroman
Old 11-24-2004, 01:59 AM   #28
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

that was from pot then everyone did the coke and it became the go-go 80's

PT22

Old 11-24-2004, 02:01 AM   #29
rewc27
All Star Reserve

I'm watching Three's Company right now. Great show.

Real Estate Needs
Old 11-24-2004, 02:51 AM   #30
hays23
Minors (Double A)

based on the first guy's explanations of the trades made i see absolutely nothing wrong with them at all. while you might be the commish of the league, who are you to say how an owner should run his team? i'd like to hear the commish's explanation of why these trades are bad.

playing commish in an online league is great...but when you start playing god and determining which trades your owners are allowed to make and which trades they aren't you really cross a line. in all my experience in online leagues(both playing and running), i think ive only ever seen one trade vetoed or overturned in any way. everybody has their own idea about how to run their team and just because you dont agree with it doesnt mean its wrong...and its a horrible idea for online leagues to take action as far as kicking an owner out just because you dont agree with his idea of a fair trade. does nobody believe in being creative anymore?

TMBU Georgia Rebels GM
Old 11-24-2004, 04:17 AM   #31
Dean Gordon
Major Leagues

I've vetoed a few trades over the course of running 3 leagues, but never kicked a player out for making bad trades. It never gets that far.

The commish was wrong to kick the owner out. Plain and simple. The only grounds for kicking a player out is cheating or complete or near-complete lack of participation, imo. It doesnt seem like the owner was cheating in terms of stacking a trade to another team (5 studs for 1 scrub, for example), so there was no real grounds to kick the player.

I cant count the number of times an owner has complained about a particular trade or brought a trade to my attention. Dozens of times. But I can count on one hand the number of times the trade was outright vetoed. Before that happens, the Commish goes to the owners involved, explains that the trade looks a bit one-sided, and asks them to make it more equitable. Nine times out of ten, they do.

On the rare occasion that the trade is really one-sided, even then it is not vetoed unless it is a complete rape and pillage. The Colon and Williams trades are fine. Well within the reload type of trading mentality. Trade #3 is questionable - why trade a top prospect for a player who can play now, when you just unloaded several players who are solid cogs? For that trade, I would ask the owner what kind of strategy he/she is using - rebuild, reload or retool. Just out of curiousity to prepare for any future emails. But even that trade is not vetoable.

The commish, imo, should not have set up a committee to veto a trade. Horrible idea, because fellow owners are always thinking of their team interests, even sub-consciously. This whole "best interests of the league" really means "making another team damn good". If the trade was a horrible rape and pillage, then the commish should have been able to make that judgement himself - use the criteria "would I make the trade". If opinions are needed, ask 3 fellow owners who you think are damn good traders about whether they would make the trade. Not if the trade is good for the league or would hurt the league, but whether they would make the trade if they were in the situation of either team making the trade. But you dont ask them for a vote on the damn thing - that is the job of the commish.

Just my

Dean
Old 11-24-2004, 05:01 AM   #32
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Hmmm have to say unless it's a stud player for a 1* prospect I don't know how you can call a trade questionable,reason being unless you can see into the future you have no idea what stats the players will put up or what injuries players will have.Take for instance two leagues I'm in.

In one of them I traded my best starting pitcher and my best relief pitcher to a team seeking a play off spot,I got a couple of younger guys in return,now I know myself he got the better of the deal but 1 sim later the relief pitcher was injured and on the DL for 8 weeks.Now he has a pitcher who is 34 and out for the rest of the season so in the end I got the better of the deal.

In another league I picked up two starting pitchers who weren't scouted well as starters but very good as relief pitchers and again I'd say my opponent got the better of the deal until that is one of the pitchers got a ratings boost and was ranked top 10 in pitchers and the other got a ratings boost and endurance boost and was ranked the 12th best pitcher,so another deal that turned round in my favour.

So like I said unless its a really lopsided trade or you can see into the future then I can't see how you can tell if a trade is fair or not.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:20 AM   #33
MarinerGM

Ok, i gotta come to the defense of our commishs here.

1) I've been doing OOTP for quite some time, I am currently in 3 leagues. Randy and Brian, are without a doubt the best commishs I have seen so far in my experience in online leagues. They run a very solid and fair league. Randy or Brian never make major decisions without consulting a majority of the owners first. They run a league that has many seasoned GM's many of who are commishs in other leagues, and they do a hell of a job.

2) Its difficult to undersand the entire situation if your not a member of the league. The owner who was released, just recently joined the league. When he joined it was during the playoffs and the trade deadline had passed, this was his first opportunity to start making trades in the league. Its not like he had established himself as someone who understood what he was doing, and had a good track record. The first day trading is opened for the new season, 2 out of 3 trades he makes are veto'd. Now keep in mind, that NO trades had EVER been veto'd since the start of this league, only 1 had to be altered, but not veto'd. There had to be over 100 trades the first year of this league, some involving superstar players, and not a single one was veto'd, just to put things into perspective. All of a sudden a new owner who we know very little about, makes 2 of the worst trades i have ever seen in my online experience, in 1 day. We even gave him the benefit of the doubt on the first 2 trades even though they made very little sense, since they reflect moves made by a team who was in dire financial straits and needed to desperately dump payroll, and the team he was running the yankees had just made a 70 mill profit in year 1 and had a 122 mill TV contract for year 2 with only a 99 mill payroll, put that all together and that doesn't equal someone who needs to be having an all out firesale, but with that said, the owners in this league gave him the benefit of the doubt that his ultimate vision was in the ebst interest of the Yanks, it wasn't until the final trade of the day the Edwin Jackson deal that a huge red light started flashing. I challenge anyone to go to our league page and find an ounce of logic behind that trade. Trading a 21 year old stud prospect whos ratings are already 86-68-34 ( out of 1-100)for a middle RP and carlos silva is beyond my comprehension. To put into perspective the value of Edwin Jackson, the previous time he was traded was for AROD!!!!!!!!! Now, when you put it all together, a new Gm we knew very little about, who made 3 very questionable trades in his first day of trading in the league, something had to be done, if i was commish i would have stepped in at this point as well, when you have 29 other owners who are counting on you to find solid GM's for the league, its your responsibilty to address this. Which is what randy and Brian did, the owner just joined the league, so why not nip this problem in the bud and replace the GM with a more seasoned GM, when you are giving control of the yanks in a league with owners who all know what they are doing it would be nice if you had somewhat of an understanding of the value of player ratings and how to read your financial reports. Its not like Randy and Brian just made a quick off the cuff decision to remove the owner, they consulted as many owners as they could about it, and ultimately it was a LEAGUE decision to remove the owner. So don't put this on the commishs, they did what was in the best interest of the league, and i stand by their decision and i know that 95% of the other owners do as well.

My

Old 11-24-2004, 08:35 AM   #34
phenom
Hall Of Famer

why couldn't the trades simply be vetoed?

Old 11-24-2004, 08:38 AM   #35
phenom
Hall Of Famer

I see now that some trades were vetoed, but others weren't. Tell me again why he was kicked out? Because the commish decided to stop vetoing trades?

Old 11-24-2004, 08:42 AM   #36
MarinerGM

The Gm showed he didn't have a great understanding for how our rating or financial system worked, lets say we just veto'd the trades, then every trade he made going forward would have had to been scrutinzed, to make sure he understood what he was doing. In a league filled with veteren OOTP'ers no one wants to worry about having to be a watchdog of 1 gm, especially if he is running the yanks, its easier to just get a seasoned Gm who has a better udnerstanding of the value of players and who will make sound decisions in to replace him, and not worry about it any longer. Like i said above, this GM had just joined the league., why let this linger.

Old 11-24-2004, 08:48 AM   #37
MarinerGM

When you have 29 other Gm's who all know what they are doing, and one who doesn't, does it make sense to keep that one owner and watch over every move he makes or replace him with soemone who knwos what they are doing and not worry about the problem anymore. I don't think Andrew is a bad guy, we made a mistake in the GM selection process, we corrected it, its as simple as that. What i have a problem with is that instead of going our seprate ways he comes on here and bashs our commishs, not realizing that it was the league who removed him, not 2 people.

Old 11-24-2004, 08:52 AM   #38
phenom
Hall Of Famer

I can see your point, but all of us have been first-time GMs in a league. If this particular league isn't very "newbie-friendly," perhaps that should be made clear to perspective GMs, if it isn't already.

Old 11-24-2004, 09:05 AM   #39
MarinerGM

I don't wanna say we aren't newbie friendly, its just that it helps if you have somewhat of an understanding of our rating system before you start making trades. Here is an example, the owner of the SF Giants in our league is a newbie, this is his first league. As soon as he joined the league he started getting pelted with trade offers for Jason Schmidt, he sat back and said " ok i don't know much about how guys are valued in this league yet, but i know jason schmidt must be pretty decent if everyone wants him". He took his time to look over all the palyers that were doing well in the elague and what their ratings were and within a short period of time he had a very good understanding of how to evaluate talent under our rating system. I knwo that it may appear that we are being harsh in the way we are handling this by removing the owner, but it was the logical solution to the problem we were presented with.

Old 11-24-2004, 10:45 AM   #40
phenom
Hall Of Famer

what was Schmidt traded for?

Closed Thread