Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 07:02 PM   #21
APujols5
Banned

Infractions: 1/3 (3)
Fidel's stuff is well done... That would be my suggestion for a web host. We'd just need someone to help design a web page. I could help with some part time managing of the site
APujols5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:10 PM   #22
Matty86
Major Leagues

I would be willing to help with some site up-keep, the only problem is that I don't know HTML... It looks like Fidel's service may allow you to make some of the updates without actually touching the HTML.. maybe one of us could get in touch with him and find out the specifics?
Matty86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:55 PM   #23
ku_mpa04
Bat Boy

I'd be interested in joining. I don't know how much assistance I can be with setup and execution. I am not a web guru and I have only participated in OOTP5 leagues in the past although I do own OOTP2007. That said, I am an active GM in my other leagues and I would do whatever possible.

I also like the idea of letting the managers control the action. It would make it more incumbent upon the GM to hire a manager that fits his/her tendencies e.g. Favors OBP vs. Avg, etc.

And, I'll take KC. I cannot imagine there will be too much demand for that one.

AIM is ku mpa04

Last edited by ku_mpa04; 07-30-2007 at 07:57 PM.
ku_mpa04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:59 PM   #24
APujols5
Banned

I think I will work up a special set of ratings just for this league. I can do the ratings much truer for an online league that I would for a normal roster set. Because I don't have to deal with as many weird AI moves.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:19 PM   #25
Matty86
Major Leagues

sounds good.. post up when the rosters are almost ready... we should draw up some rules and figure out this website situation
Old 07-31-2007, 12:45 AM   #26
Matty86
Major Leagues

Any ideas for a name for this league? I'm tempted to sign up for some webspace tomorrow, depending on what we do about rosters... Are we going to wait until mid-august?
Old 07-31-2007, 01:00 AM   #27
APujols5
Banned

well considering Wed is Aug 1, We'd be looking at about 2 weeks. Doesn't that seem like a decent amount of time to work on developing a site... recruit the remainder of GMs that we will need, work out the rules and get ready to roll?
Old 07-31-2007, 01:32 AM   #28
Matty86
Major Leagues

yep it sounds like a good time line to me... just need a name and I'll sign us up for some of that webspace through Fidel unless you or Mike would rather do it.. I don't want to do anything without Mike chiming in though, this is his brain child

It will give us some time to toy around with the site, recruit, and hammer out some rules while you finish up your set.

Off to bed. Talk to you guys later
Old 07-31-2007, 01:36 AM   #29
Mike Lowe
Hall Of Famer

Just got home from softball (and post bar). Too tired to make any decisions right now. We'll chat tomorrow!

Glad to see such great interest!
Old 07-31-2007, 11:57 AM   #30
Mike Lowe
Hall Of Famer

I like the website ideas. As far as a league name goes...I'm not sure. I always try and tie in something about MLB because it usually helps in recruiting. I've used MLBsim before and I'm not sure if that's still around. I always liked names like eMLB (which I am 99% sure is still a league).

Anyway, I'm signed on to AIM now and will be checking my CPU throughout the day.

I am really wanting you guys to think about letting the team managers handle the rosters. Before you disregard think about the pros and cons. The pros, to me, is ultimate realism. Sure it may not be perfect or what you want but that's how it goes sometimes. You'll really have to pay attention to the type of manager you hire. The one con that I see as of now is that we may see a HUGE influx of manager hirings and firings. We'd have to put some kind of limit on this (cannot fire manager until at least 2 seasons have been played with the manager (some exceptions can be made?), and you may not fire them during a season.

Anyway, find me on AIM and we can chat. I want this league to be solid and I want to get it off the ground as quickly as possible.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:26 PM   #31
Mike Lowe
Hall Of Famer

I was just thinking that instead of making a rule about when you can fire a manager, we could just dock the pay of the contract from the team budget? I know the game already does this for players (obviously) but what about for managers? Are those contracts guaranteed?

Matty has gotten our web provider all set up. Once he gets me the info I am going to post a league file. I am going to post a 2006 file for peoole to take a look at as it has complete minors, accurate contracts, etc. and is in my opinion the most accurate file we could begin with. I'm all for a 2007 file (Pujols or other) but we'd still have to test it etc. and maybe those files would be better suited for a newer league down the road?

Thoughts? Am I the only one? I want to do what is best for the league when it's all said and done.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:31 PM   #32
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

I'm interested in being the Twins. HUGE Twins fan and can never find a good league with the Twins open. I know some HTML, but not good enough to create a webpage. I will be on AIM later today.
Klew1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:36 PM   #33
Matty86
Major Leagues

Mike, I'd have to agree with you maybe we are better using a proven file and starting in 2006. I agree we should be able to fire managers mid-season.. we are reaching for realism and it does happen in real life.

I'm not exactly sure how the managers salary is payed out but maybe you could do some tests with it.

If anyone else stumbles across this thread feel free to post up the team you would be interested in, and then keep checking into this thread.

Once the webspace is all set up, Mike or myself will start a new thread and we will direct you in that direction, as well as the link to our site. I would rather not release the url until I have something up for all to see.

TEAMS
St. Louis - APujols5
Boston - Matty86
Kansas City - Ku_mpa04
Minnesota - Klew1986
Old 07-31-2007, 02:46 PM   #34
Mike Lowe
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and just for the record (assuming we use the 2006 file) the draft picks will be updated to represent the actual 2006 draft. If you're team lost a 1st round pick etc. you will not have it in the draft. You can see the actual list on mlb.com if you search for 2006 draft. You can also use that site for the draft order.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:55 PM   #35
APujols5
Banned

personally i have no desire to use a 2006 roster

Oh and as far as testing, my roster has been simmed about a total of 12-15 hundred seasons over the course of all my different tests without even a single crash.

Currently I am just adding players that were missing from rosters as of OD and then doing some last minute ratings tweaks

Last edited by APujols5; 07-31-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:34 PM   #36
jetking
Minors (Double A)

If y'all are still looking for takers I'd love to join in and run Seattle. I definitely like the idea of letting the managers do their thing and just acting as GM.

My AIM ID is Comrade Jetking, but I'm never really on it w/o advance planning. You can almost always reach me at astro-at-yongi-dot-org, though.

I might be able to help a little bit with HTML and such, too.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:53 PM   #37
Mike Lowe
Hall Of Famer

We could spend some time discussing how we will show ratings.

What do we want to show? What do we NOT want to show?

Here's what I'm thinking:

Coaches/Scouts ON
Actual 2-8
Potential 2-8
Other 2-8
Show Ratings > Max (does this even apply to 2-8 scale?) ??????
Overall ?????
Coach/Scouts rating Scale 2-8

I really want the league to be one in which GMs make trades/acquisitions/draft picks based on much more than just ratings (and overalls etc).

Last edited by Mike Lowe; 07-31-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:01 PM   #38
jetking
Minors (Double A)

I'm very much down with the 2-8s and with having coaches and scouting on. Heck, I'd even dig stars if we wanted to use them. If other folks can't hang w/ 2-8, though, 20-80 would be ok. But I really don't want to get off into 1-20 or 1-100 land.

The idea of a league that isn't just about looking at ratings, knowing that they're 100% accurate and therefore not focusing on performance is delightful to me.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:21 PM   #39
APujols5
Banned

20-80 would be ideal with me. But 2-8 works. I just get so used to seeing 20-80 is comfortable to me
Old 07-31-2007, 05:09 PM   #40
Mike Lowe
Hall Of Famer

From what I have read and been told real scouts use the 20-80 system BUT in incriments of 10. So 2-8 actually represents this the best if you add a 0 to the end of each number ;-)