Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 11-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #41
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilight View Post
Helping people pay the least amount of taxes possible helps build roads and improve emergency services?

Or are you a government accountant, who contribute by pricing hammers at $500 each?
You seem to have no idea how many business owners are absolutely unfit to file even the most modest of tax returns.

You also seem to have no idea what the tax authorities over here would do if no tax returns are filed. Write a not too strongly worded letter, then sit on their hands the rest of the day.

What would the inept business owner do with that letter, if he opens it at all?

So, there is tax revenue precisely because of people like me, battling resisting clients, misguided tax authorities, my own employer, and fielding these uneducated shots from the cheap seats all day. I am glad I could enlighten you about that.

I'll now remove myself from this thread.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:01 AM   #42
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I will never understand why people come up with such jealousy because somebody of no consequence to them gets paid to do something they wish they could do. No matter what the skill is, if someone becomes so good at it that people are willing to pay money for them to do it or to watch them do it, then it is a career. It is extremely myopic to suggest you have to be sweating, getting dirty and struggling to make ends meet to consider yourself employed.
You read my mind. I wish I could make money on you tube. But I guess ill be ok since I'm reading this post and responding from work.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:04 PM   #43
CBeisbol
Banned

Just in case anyone wants to watch someone play OOTP

https://m.twitch.tv/OOTPDevelopments
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:55 PM   #44
naturaldopamine
Minors (Double A)

Is he crying? Good. This will be a good move in regards to his manhood.

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do."
Oscar Gamble
naturaldopamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:59 PM   #45
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldopamine View Post
Is he crying? Good. This will be a good move in regards to his manhood.
Hmm
Someone with a Braves logo avatar who thinks crying isn't manly.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:41 AM   #46
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldousmunir View Post

I hear you. It's old-fashioned, I know, but I'm in favor of kids being kids until they are 21, receiving an allowance or perhaps working at the grocery store for a few bucks. This kind of stuff, the topic of this thread, is obscene to me.
You earned your first thanks for this. It's nice to see someone else "sharing my thoughts." I thought it sounded familiar (post #13).

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 12-14-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:12 AM   #47
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

I don’t ever get involved in these kind of debates but some of the posts here are so effing stupid and ridiculous that I just had too.

They’re entertainers, no different then someone going to a concert watching someone preform, staying up late to watch your favorite talk show. Might as well throw in actors into this as well. They all get paid big money and many people who aren’t in any of those fields are just salty and jealous they are either not one or don’t make the money they make. How do any of the above “contribute to society” as “art” does?...

Point is while watching someone play video games on a streaming service is not my thing I don’t sit here and bash people on how they make their money. These kids are smart, capitalizing on ways to earn millions without much risk or damage to their bodies etc. I am a little jealous even? Heck yeah, I wish I could stay home and game for serious money all day but I don’t go so far to be so salty as some here and down play them with names and telling them to “get a real job”.

I have what some you consider “a real job” and make good money, but I have no shame in what these kids are doing. For the actual topic of that article I don’t have remorse for that particular kid though, he cheated, was caught and has to deal with the repercussions. As someone here noted, these kids know about these aimbot things and that they’re illegal.... kids these days are much smarter and less naive he knew what he was doing and now is paying for it. Not much sympathy for him. I guess that means he has to “go get a real job” (sarcasm).

Last edited by Hockey13Playa; 12-14-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Hockey13Playa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #48
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
You earned your first thanks for this. It's nice to see someone else "sharing my thoughts." I thought it sounded familiar (post #13).
I thought it was a bot.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:34 PM   #49
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I thought it was a bot.
It was a benevolent bot, if so.

@Hockey13Playa, since your post immediately follows my bot re-post, I tend to think that it was what I re-said that caused you to cry out against "effing stupid and ridiculous" opinions.

Here's the thing, plain and simple: No matter how much unwise and unearned freedom that we grant children these days, yielding to the pressure of society and our own laziness, they lack the wisdom and emotional maturity to handle the type of situation that prompted this thread. You think they can, but you are wrong. Children are being harmed by laissez-faire attitudes such as yours.

- Bru

Old 12-14-2019, 03:42 PM   #50
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
they lack the wisdom and emotional maturity to handle the type of situation that prompted this thread.
This is an interesting point (and one I almost brought up until I was distracted by another topic).

Kids and teenagers (maybe the vast majority of adults) aren't equipped to handle that level of...wealth? freedom? power?

Is the answer to say that people can't earn that much money?
Obvious question is "how much?". And "at what age?"

Venn Diagram: People who think it's obscene that kids can earn more than an allowance by playing video games, or performing, or whatever and people who think that "punishing" billionaires with increased taxes is unamerican.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:21 PM   #51
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
This is an interesting point (and one I almost brought up until I was distracted by another topic).

Kids and teenagers (maybe the vast majority of adults) aren't equipped to handle that level of...wealth? freedom? power?

Is the answer to say that people can't earn that much money?
Obvious question is "how much?". And "at what age?"

Venn Diagram: People who think it's obscene that kids can earn more than an allowance by playing video games, or performing, or whatever and people who think that "punishing" billionaires with increased taxes is unamerican.

Child actors are notorious for having major issues, from financial to emotional to psychological (whether it's more anecdotal than statistically correlated, I don't know). But I imagine most under 18 are more likely to rent a mansion than buy a house while partying large chunks of it away, confusing being rich for being wealthy .... but again, anecdotal?

I assume most complaints about people making large sums of money from playing video games are due to jealously or finding it confusing why so many teachers need second jobs in the summer while playing video games makes others wealthy, or something along those lines of unfairness

Last edited by ezpkns34; 12-14-2019 at 05:27 PM. Reason: complaints
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:51 PM   #52
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
I thought it was a bot.
It is a bot and I have reported it. They are getting smarter
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:48 AM   #53
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

My final say:

Release of “13 Reasons Why” Associated with Increase in Youth Suicide Rates
https://www.nimh.nih.gov/news/scienc...de-rates.shtml

Depression and Suicide Rates Are Rising Sharply in Young Americans, New Report Says.
https://time.com/5550803/depression-...e-rates-youth/

What’s behind the rise in youth suicides?
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/suicide...s-behind-rise/

Teen suicide is on the rise and this is why
https://theconversation.com/teen-sui...s-is-why-83563

You tell me why a 17-year-old, almost 18 at the time, can be this distraught:

Name:  JarvisKaye.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  87.4 KB

Other than too much pressure for too high stakes at too young an age. Social and perhaps family pressure to earn thousands and thousands of dollars at 17 years old, and failing, and falling into despair because the emotional maturity is not there yet.

You tell me what's wrong with this picture otherwise.

Can some kids handle it? Of course. Are many kids incapable? Of course again.

Time was, we would send children much younger than this out to work to support themselves and their families. And the system would grind many of them down into nothing.

The difference is, they were hardly noticed back then. Now we are watching.

- Bru

Old 12-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #54
bertha
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by low View Post
I would love to see professional sports do this. Get caught and you're gone. No three strikes, no BS. The difference though, unlike pro gaming, is the MLB benefits from their players cheating.
Agree
bertha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:22 PM   #55
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Deja, I understand the point you are trying to make. But there is one factor you are forgetting: This kid would be bawling if he had to deal with any kind of discipline.

Because this is the factor modern parents don't get: You better discipline your kids now, while they are in your care and w/the love you feel for them. Or you can wait for their first discipline to come from people, authorities or entities that don't give a flip about them because they are case #67A-47.

The problem is not the millions. The problems is the lack of discipline in this kid's life. I see it all the time in the peds office I work. I told a kindergarten teacher friend of mine that I pray for her profession @ the start of every school year. Because I know every September she & other teachers are going to be the first in a child's life to ever tell them "no."

Too many parents want to shield their kids from any disappointment, any setback, any self-control, any discomfort. If they got a bad grade, well the teacher hates them. If they don't win the game, the other kid cheated. If they have to stay after class, the principal is prejudiced. They let their kids bargain their way out of any thing they don't like. Food, chores, etc. When they come in my office, I can tell the kids who somehow think there is always going to be an out and those that know they ain't getting away from it.

Those are the kids that grow up to be dysfunctional adults and drive up suicide rates. Because they can't handle life. Because their parents never allowed them to learn how to deal with life. There is a reason why the Williams' sisters became strong women while the Jennifer Capriatis burned out. Because Venus and Serena had parents that didn't baby their girls when they were no longer babies. They got them ready for the real world.

This kid is bawling because for the first time he is not getting what he wanted and mommy and daddy can't fix it for him. The dollars did not create this spoiled immature brat. His parents reaped what they sowed and got a frikkin' bumper crop.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016

Last edited by Cobra Mgr; 12-16-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:29 PM   #56
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Deja, I understand the point you are trying to make. But there is one factor you are forgetting: This kid would be bawling if he had to deal with any kind of discipline.

Because this is the factor modern parents don't get: You better discipline your kids now, while they are in your care and w/the love you feel for them. Or you can wait for their first discipline to come from people, authorities or entities that don't give a flip about them because they are case #67A-47.

The problem is not the millions. The problems is the lack of discipline in this kid's life. I see it all the time in the peds office I work. I told a kindergarten teacher friend of mine that I pray for her profession @ the start of every school year. Because I know every September she & other teachers are going to be the first in a child's life to ever tell them "no."

Too many parents want to shield their kids from any disappointment, any setback, any self-control, any discomfort. If they got a bad grade, well the teacher hates them. If they don't win the game, the other kid cheated. If they have to stay after class, the principal is prejudiced. They let their kids bargain their way out of any thing they don't like. Food, chores, etc. When they come in my office, I can tell the kids who somehow think there is always going to be an out and those that know they ain't getting away from it.

Those are the kids that grow up to be dysfunctional adults and drive up suicide rates. Because they can't handle life. Because their parents never allowed them to learn how to deal with life. There is a reason why the Williams' sisters became strong women while the Jennifer Capriatis burned out. Because Venus and Serena had parents that didn't baby their girls when they were no longer babies. They got them ready for the real world.

This kid is bawling because for the first time he is not getting what he wanted and mommy and daddy can't fix it for him. The dollars did not create this spoiled immature brat. His parents reaped what they sowed and got a frikkin' bumper crop.
The guy who hates arrogance is making definitive statements about the parenting of people he's never met
Old 12-17-2019, 09:47 AM   #57
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

He's bawling because the video is an act.

When you are a professional streamer/youtuber/instagrammer etc absolutely everything you put online is a performance and part of the persona you are selling.

Not gonna bother reading the whole thread but expecting it's just more hilarity where adults who watch other adults play sports for millions of dollars somehow think it is absurd that kids like to watch other kids play video games.

Successful internet figures put a TON of work into it. You know how many people think "wow I can make money playing video games I'm gonna do it"? There is no barrier to entry at all, yet a mere hundreds of people are truly successful out of everyone thinking they can do it.

Last edited by dkgo; 12-17-2019 at 09:51 AM.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #58
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Great post, Cobra Mgr. Except that I am for a bit more shielding until kids are indeed "ready for the real world."

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
The guy who hates arrogance is making definitive statements about the parenting of people he's never met
This isn't about his parents per se. This is about society and the pressure it applies to all kids and parents and that is a collective phenomenon for which we all bear some responsibility to some degree or another.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 12-17-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:09 AM   #59
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
He's bawling because the video is an act.
If it is, then he's in the wrong line of business.

Look, this thread started out as a commentary on how odd it is to see an act of cheating being severely punished for what is now known as "professional" video gaming. It devolved, however, into a commentary on whether minors should be even allowed to place themselves in a high-stakes, high-pressure situation like this.

It's a rhetorical question because nobody here, including me, thinks in the slightest that anything official will be applied to ameliorate this. After all, it's good business.

What this thread might do, though, is to encourage parents to monitor their children's activities more closely and to steer them away from this type of emotional distress if possible. There are reasons, as I alluded to before, why teenage suicide rates keep climbing.

Heh, I know I said "my final say" earlier. I don't know why I keep coming back here. Maybe because I take that kid at face value and I feel bad for him.

- Bru

Old 12-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #60
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Cheating is being punished the way it always has been. You get banned from the game. That just has much higher stakes for some people.

People keep talking as if he is ten years old. He is 18. What do you mean by something "official" to be applied? Like a law preventing teenagers from earning money by entertaining? And "ameliorate" what? Teenagers aren't allowed to be in "high stakes high pressure situations?" Does that apply to actors or Olympians or just internet celebrities? Gabby Douglas was 16 when she won a gold medal.

Maybe we also shouldn't let people in their 20s play football because it's so high stakes and stressful that Josh Gordon can't help but keep doing drugs.

Last edited by dkgo; 12-17-2019 at 11:18 AM.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote