Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #1
22tbrads22
Minors (Double A)

Is draft pick trading balanced well?

I'm in 2025 and I'm looking to spice things up in my Cubs franchise, Thinking of turning on draft pick trading does anyone know if the trading of those is balanced or is it to easy to get a 1st round pick or to hard?
22tbrads22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:39 PM   #2
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Too easy. Draft pick trading abuse is a common Challenge Mode strategy.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:17 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

it's not magic or anything, but eventually you can stock up quite a few high draft picks every year, once you get rolling.

basically, instead of taking a bad deal for a big contract, you get something useful even if tehy don't have a decent prospect. that stuff starts adding up. once mil consistently stocked/re-stocked, you'll have the top 3-5picks every year.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:53 PM   #4
22tbrads22
Minors (Double A)

That's really disappointing. I wish the real MLB had this and was looking to implement it in my game. Sucks. maybe they can patch it.
22tbrads22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:02 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

real mlb has some form of htis, not quite as free as the other pro leagues, though... you'll have to google for specifics..

you can always not allow yourself to do such things, too... and keep it on.

it's not realistic to trade for 1-5 in the draft, lol, so don't do it. i've done this and pretty much excluded myself from partaking. i would allow a pick or two to be the 'straw' for a trade, but i wouldn't allow myself to recieve a first round or any round in return.

in that case, you never trade away your #1, lol...

oh, forgot about one more abuse: if oyu know you are going to sign FA that come with compensation picks, you trade away anythign outside top-10 etc that's eligible to be stolen from you. top10 or 15?? are protected. 99% sure it's 10.

or you bump your first rounder up to top-10 and dump your 2nd and 3rd rounders... (whatever is eligible as compensation) == you get to move it for some other asset in return before a complete loss.

Last edited by NoOne; 07-27-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:41 AM   #6
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

in my case I have found sometimes the draft pick trading can be difficult and at times its virtually a steal. However it seems to depend on the GM one is dealing with. I am in season 2055 and I trade away and get picks as well but more often than not the pick isn't that high that it would accept to part with. Every once in a while I try to trade up for first round pick but that's the challenge only was able to succeed once since the save began in season 2013 as I try every season
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:06 AM   #7
keeptheasp
Bat Boy

I've found it strangely easy and strangely hard. I have trade settings very hard, favour prospects, and playing as the Red Sox, I shopped Benintendi around the Yankee's offered me Aaron Judge. I decided to see who else could be added and they agreed to Luis Cessa and Tyler Austin. I then just for fun decided to see if they'd give me a draft pick too, and they gave me their 2nd and 4th round picks. Other times, I've offered a five star player for a teams 3rd or 4th round and they laugh at me.
keeptheasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:16 AM   #8
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

just to show how to do it, not a suggestion... for curiousity's sake:

favor prospects may make it more difficult... hard trading - obviously... so take what i say below and translate from normal/netural... if not "140-150wins" then i'd guess it will still be 120+, 130+ or 140+ wins... ie still amazingly dominant. WS 3/4ths of the time likely. you get to 130+ its darn near 100% (90-99% range)

well, under those circumstances not sure... but normal / neutral it's still very difficult to pry those high draft picks away. you need a well-stocked MiL system as well as a player or 2 each year from teh bigs you are willing to part with that is still in good shape, but getting "old" for baseball. when they are former #1's and the best of the ones you keep, they tend to return a pretty penny -- sometimes i go for existing players too! don't solely focus on draft picks... if i see a mike trout in minors, that's BETTER than a #1 pick... i sacrifice one or 2 of my high picks that year due to waht i give away to get them. if unclear, i do not trade the #1-2etc i trade the assets that i would have traded for the pick(s). nothing too complicated there, just a different target with those assets.

once you get rolling, trading ~2-3 or more mlb guys is necessary each year to make room for the previous #1-5 picks you have (and int'l amatuers of course). you also have to trade away the other half once you recognize the "keepers." once you start recycling former #1-5 picks + ~2 quality mlb players traded + picks for #1-5. i think i had as many as 7-8 of first picks one year, and sometimes only 2-3. all about timing, and a bit of things you cannot control.

anyway, you supplement that core of young cheap players you are guaranteed to have with some expensive FA when you can and extend them when you want etc. you'll have a 1000-1300 runs and a 2.00-2.50 team era most years. = 140-150+ wins.

you don't want compensation picks unless they are already worthless in a trade. trade away 2-3-4th rounds etc too.. basically i have 1-5 top picks when cheating like that in past and the rest of the picks are junk....

BUT - you add 3-5 of the 'best' prospects in the draft, you are adding ~2 All-star quality MLB players each year. once you get rolling thats ~2 per year bumping to MLB. imagine how your current gm strategies would change if oyu were getting 2 high end 20-24year olds every single year (not including the ones you traded while in minors)

Last edited by NoOne; 07-31-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:39 PM   #9
Danius
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeptheasp View Post
I've found it strangely easy and strangely hard. I have trade settings very hard, favour prospects, and playing as the Red Sox, I shopped Benintendi around the Yankee's offered me Aaron Judge. I decided to see who else could be added and they agreed to Luis Cessa and Tyler Austin. I then just for fun decided to see if they'd give me a draft pick too, and they gave me their 2nd and 4th round picks. Other times, I've offered a five star player for a teams 3rd or 4th round and they laugh at me.
Keep in mind that the ratings in the game are based on the 2016-17 offseason. Andrew Benintendi was the #1 prospect in all of baseball (according to Baseball America), while Aaron Judge was ranked #90. In 99/100 seasons, Aaron Judge won't perform in OOTP18 like he has in real life, because no one expected this kind of a season from him. Baseball America rated him as one of the worst hitters (for average) in the entire Top 100. Therefore, your trade with the Yankees would have made a lot more sense before the season started, because Benintendi was considered the future face of the game, not Aaron Judge.

Also, a 5-star player isn't always a good find if he comes with a ridiculous contract attached to him, especially if the club you are trying to trade with is in a small market. I'm sure the Tampa Bay Rays would love to have Giancarlo Stanton for a 2nd Round pick, but realistically, they wouldn't be able to pay his salary (he's owed an average of $29.5m for the next 10 years); therefore, they would reject any trade of the sort based on the contract (and laugh at you for thinking they could afford it).
Danius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:57 PM   #10
keeptheasp
Bat Boy

Those are good points, what threw me though was that even though it was based on Judge's 2016-2017, he was rated 5 star potential, Cessa was 4 star potential I think and Austin 3 star potential. Benintendi was 5 star potential, but had yet to do anything. The above three players I could perhaps have seen being a reasonable trade in the 2016 offseason....but it was the inclusion of the other two high draft picks that was a bit of a head scratcher. Seemed an overpay, even taking into account the points you raised.

As a Sox fan, we're pretty high on Benny, but I don't think anyone would say they considered him the future face of the game...but I wouldn't be opposed if he turns out that way! ;-)
keeptheasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:36 PM   #11
Danius
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeptheasp View Post
Those are good points, what threw me though was that even though it was based on Judge's 2016-2017, he was rated 5 star potential, Cessa was 4 star potential I think and Austin 3 star potential. Benintendi was 5 star potential, but had yet to do anything. The above three players I could perhaps have seen being a reasonable trade in the 2016 offseason....but it was the inclusion of the other two high draft picks that was a bit of a head scratcher. Seemed an overpay, even taking into account the points you raised.

As a Sox fan, we're pretty high on Benny, but I don't think anyone would say they considered him the future face of the game...but I wouldn't be opposed if he turns out that way! ;-)
I still expect Benintendi to have a better career than Judge (my opinion). I have a feeling Judge is going to come back down to earth, and more towards his pre-MLB projections. I still think he'll probably hit 40 homeruns most seasons, but probably be no better than decent in other categories. Benintendi should be a 3-4 tool guy with a long career, at least.
Danius is offline   Reply With Quote