Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:52 AM   #1
aadam
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Help on historical league stats

I started my first historical league, MLB 2003 (playing in OOTP 2017 on my laptop but I guess it makes no difference). I don't understand how league evolution is supposed to work.

If the scoring environment is controlled by league total and modifiers settings, why do players still have unbalanced ratings (average pitchers have stuff of 8/20, best pitchers 12/20 - Sean Burnett is 2/20!)?

I also don't get how automatic adjustment of modifiers work. Are these applied in order to force stats towards their expected values? Why so, if they would get there anyway on long term, as that's how statistical variables behave? They just seems to be messed up however. If I check and uncheck the tick box a few times, values are changing every time, in extreme directions (after 5 clicks: .549 for HR, 2.4 for triples etc).
aadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:45 AM   #2
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

League Modifiers control the statistical out put of the league. They are set to produce statistics that more closely resemble any given season in MLB History. League Statistics vary widely through out history. The automatic adjustment changes the League Total Modifiers to what they need to be to reflect whatever year you are in (Or what ever years statistical out put you are trying to simulate).

Player rating have no bearing on the statistical output in any given season, they do nothing more than distribute the stats. So the Best Power hitter will have a greater chance to hit the most HR's whether his rating is 20 or 12 (1-20 scale) If he has the highest Power rating in the league, you can expect him to be among the league leaders in HR's. But as with any thing, some players over-achieve and some under preform. It's the nature of a RNG enviorment. But Probability tells us that more often than not, it will be the case.
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:17 PM   #3
aadam
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks. What I don't get is why the different skills have such differing scales (stuff between 7 and 11 while contact between 8 and 15). To have newer draft classes around a higher stuff level (like, 95-98 mph flamethrowers representing a different level compared to 2000-2006 standards)?
aadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:40 PM   #4
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Velocity has little to do with Stuff, while it is factored in, and usually a player with higher velocity will be better than one with lower if everything else is equal. Stuff represents the overall quality of a pitchers repertoire mainly.

A batters contact has no correlation to a pitchers stuff you can't relate pitcher and batters ratings in that way. Different players in different ERA's are rated differently because that is the combination needed to produce the proper realistic statistics for individual players in combination with the League settings.

The only thing that really matters in the end is, are the Statistics where they need to be? If the answer is yes then the players are rated properly and you need to learn how those ratings affect performance.If you look at Pitchers in the Deadball ERA, they pail in comparison to modern pitchers ratings overall to an untrained eye. In general they have lower stuff and higher movement.

I wouldn't spend much time trying to make the ratings work how you think they should, It would be best to learn how they actually work and correlate to one another. We could spend hours chatting about this subject and everyone who comes into the thread may have a different view and/or theory

I'd start by reading the Manuel after that there is no better teacher than experience!

http://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com/...php?man=ootp18

Good Luck
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote