Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.8 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 6 Available

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2016, 12:39 AM   #1
james17
All Star Starter
 
james17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,229
Thanks: 760
Thanked 223x in 108 posts
Question About BTS and the Draft

Is BTS going to allow for trading draft picks? Will we be able to trade future draft picks to move up in the draft order?

Reading so much about the draft lately his gotten me really fired up in looking forward to this game!
james17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:33 AM   #2
Michael Winter
Minors (Single A)
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Berlin
Posts: 87
Thanks: 11
Thanked 235x in 55 posts
Yes, that's the plan. I think from next year on there is also the possibility to trade compensatory picks, so this will be in the game, too. Trading picks is quite important since most teams no longer want to pick a player who is not a the top of their board when it's their turn to pick. So they need to trade down to where the player fits in order to get the maximum value out of their pick.
Michael Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
3 thanks for this post:
james17 (04-27-2016), Rosco Peabody (05-19-2016), wilkiburger14 (05-14-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 01:02 PM   #3
james17
All Star Starter
 
james17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,229
Thanks: 760
Thanked 223x in 108 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Winter View Post
Yes, that's the plan. I think from next year on there is also the possibility to trade compensatory picks, so this will be in the game, too. Trading picks is quite important since most teams no longer want to pick a player who is not a the top of their board when it's their turn to pick. So they need to trade down to where the player fits in order to get the maximum value out of their pick.
Great and thanks for answering! You're right. Next year compensatory picks are able to be traded.

Really looking forward to BTS!
james17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:29 AM   #4
fullbull
Bat Boy
 
fullbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 8
Thanks: 5
Thanked 2x in 1 post
Hi Michael, another question for you on this one - will the game generate mock drafts so we get a feel for where a player's expected draft stock sits? Obviously as a coach/GM, we will have our own opinions of where players will likely be drafted, but to know roughly where players are expected to get taken might help us decide whether to trade up, down or stay in place during the draft.
fullbull is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
james17 (05-08-2016), Laser (12-19-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 03:28 AM   #5
james17
All Star Starter
 
james17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,229
Thanks: 760
Thanked 223x in 108 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbull View Post
Hi Michael, another question for you on this one - will the game generate mock drafts so we get a feel for where a player's expected draft stock sits? Obviously as a coach/GM, we will have our own opinions of where players will likely be drafted, but to know roughly where players are expected to get taken might help us decide whether to trade up, down or stay in place during the draft.
I can see where that could be a cool feature. But wouldn't the draft picks we see be based more on our scout's views?

Last edited by james17; 05-08-2016 at 03:32 AM.
james17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:33 AM   #6
Michael Winter
Minors (Single A)
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Berlin
Posts: 87
Thanks: 11
Thanked 235x in 55 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbull View Post
Hi Michael, another question for you on this one - will the game generate mock drafts so we get a feel for where a player's expected draft stock sits? Obviously as a coach/GM, we will have our own opinions of where players will likely be drafted, but to know roughly where players are expected to get taken might help us decide whether to trade up, down or stay in place during the draft.


There won't be any mock drafts in the first version of the game. I think mock drafts are purely for entertainment purposes and I am very sure no GM pays any attention to them at all. In reality, drafting always includes some elements of a poker game. You simply cannot know what the draft board of another team looks like.


Decisions of trading up or down are usually based on making sure you don't reach for a player. Let's say you want to draft a player and it is your turn. According to your own draft board this player would fit about 10 spots later. So you want to make sure to trade down to a spot where need meets value.


Trading up usually happens when a player is still available who according to your draft board should have been taken way earlier. Eventually it makes sense to spend some additional picks on him, so you may decide to trade up.
Michael Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
3 thanks for this post:
james17 (05-09-2016), Rosco Peabody (05-19-2016), wilkiburger14 (05-14-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #7
james17
All Star Starter
 
james17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,229
Thanks: 760
Thanked 223x in 108 posts
Good explanation. I know that's how most successful teams do it. Relying on your scouting should be the consideration when a player sets up their own board.
james17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:50 PM   #8
Michael Winter
Minors (Single A)
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Berlin
Posts: 87
Thanks: 11
Thanked 235x in 55 posts
As a GM you will have to set up your own draft board prior to the draft. Then you have to manage the draft in such a way that you get the players you want at a reasonable price. I always consider draft picks to be vouchers and the draft is basically a shopping center where customers take turns. If you spend a $100 voucher on a player who according to your draft board is only worth $50, then you basically waste the other 50 bucks. So trading up and down is necessary to make sure that you get maximum value out of your picks, at least according to your own draft board. Teams still draft for need but nowadays they try really hard not to waste part of the value of their picks. From next year on they can even trade compensatory picks. I kind of wonder what this is going to do to free agency, since these compensatory picks will be of increased value.
Michael Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
3 thanks for this post:
james17 (05-09-2016), Rosco Peabody (05-19-2016), wilkiburger14 (05-14-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #9
james17
All Star Starter
 
james17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,229
Thanks: 760
Thanked 223x in 108 posts
Being a GM in the game will be a blast when the draft is coming up. Also, free agency.
james17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:44 AM   #10
jwarner
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 8
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Thanks for all the feedback Michael.

One thing about mock drafts though: they're a great way of understanding the general consensus on where a player will probably be drafted. I can set up my own board, but when it comes down to it I might choose guys based on whether I think they'll go soon or might go later. For example, if I have a highly rated guy on my board that's available in the 4th round but most mocks put him in the 6th, I might choose someone else this round and snag him in the 5th.

Does that make sense? It's certainly not a deal breaker, but I think it adds some interest and strategy to the draft and can make for some interesting emergent stories like Aaron Rodgers (or Laremy Tunsil, haha).
jwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #11
Michael Winter
Minors (Single A)
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Berlin
Posts: 87
Thanks: 11
Thanked 235x in 55 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwarner View Post
Thanks for all the feedback Michael.

One thing about mock drafts though: they're a great way of understanding the general consensus on where a player will probably be drafted. I can set up my own board, but when it comes down to it I might choose guys based on whether I think they'll go soon or might go later. For example, if I have a highly rated guy on my board that's available in the 4th round but most mocks put him in the 6th, I might choose someone else this round and snag him in the 5th.

Does that make sense? It's certainly not a deal breaker, but I think it adds some interest and strategy to the draft and can make for some interesting emergent stories like Aaron Rodgers (or Laremy Tunsil, haha).

I think mock drafts could be a fun feature but they are not a priority right now. It would certainly add to the overall atmosphere within the game, but they really wouldn't serve any other purpose. Real GMs wouldn't ever tell you how they approach the draft, but they certainly don't care for what the journalists have to say. This is purely for the fans. The fans love that kind of stuff, so they keep getting more of it every year. As a GM you need to make up your own mind where players actually fit.


We are playing around with the idea to add some real "fog of war" to the game. For the draft this would mean that you wouldn't know anything more than the combine results, the college stats, the health status and the trouble a player got into. I believe that character is a huge issue in football, so interviews at the combine and having players coming over for a visit would be very important in order to make sure you don't draft someone with poor work ethics or with little social competence. We probably won't be able to put all of that into the first version of the game, but this certainly is the long term plan.
Michael Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
wilkiburger14 (05-14-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 01:02 PM   #12
james17
All Star Starter
 
james17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,229
Thanks: 760
Thanked 223x in 108 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Winter View Post
I think mock drafts could be a fun feature but they are not a priority right now. It would certainly add to the overall atmosphere within the game, but they really wouldn't serve any other purpose. Real GMs wouldn't ever tell you how they approach the draft, but they certainly don't care for what the journalists have to say. This is purely for the fans. The fans love that kind of stuff, so they keep getting more of it every year. As a GM you need to make up your own mind where players actually fit.


We are playing around with the idea to add some real "fog of war" to the game. For the draft this would mean that you wouldn't know anything more than the combine results, the college stats, the health status and the trouble a player got into. I believe that character is a huge issue in football, so interviews at the combine and having players coming over for a visit would be very important in order to make sure you don't draft someone with poor work ethics or with little social competence. We probably won't be able to put all of that into the first version of the game, but this certainly is the long term plan.
This would be a good feature. I think adding what the college's competition was would go along with this.
james17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:38 PM   #13
Mrtln
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Winter View Post
I think mock drafts could be a fun feature but they are not a priority right now. It would certainly add to the overall atmosphere within the game, but they really wouldn't serve any other purpose. Real GMs wouldn't ever tell you how they approach the draft, but they certainly don't care for what the journalists have to say. This is purely for the fans. The fans love that kind of stuff, so they keep getting more of it every year. As a GM you need to make up your own mind where players actually fit.


We are playing around with the idea to add some real "fog of war" to the game. For the draft this would mean that you wouldn't know anything more than the combine results, the college stats, the health status and the trouble a player got into. I believe that character is a huge issue in football, so interviews at the combine and having players coming over for a visit would be very important in order to make sure you don't draft someone with poor work ethics or with little social competence. We probably won't be able to put all of that into the first version of the game, but this certainly is the long term plan.
That would be so cool. I would love that "fog of war" being present all over the game even with your own players, so setting the depth charth is not just comparing numbers but you would have to dig into 2D engine to see how they do, practice reports (Even 2D practices so you can see your guys compete for the position), trust your coaches and scouts or not, etc. I think this would add another dimension to the game and certainly would increase the playing time between games because NFL seasons are very short.

I am obviously talking about the long term, it is just that I got so excited by that "fog of war" term that I wanted to let you know haha.
Mrtln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:50 PM   #14
Krillo
Minors (Rookie Ball)
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 35
Thanks: 47
Thanked 16x in 7 posts
I have a suggestion on the draft and player potential for BTS. I have played a lot of manager games over the years and there is one thing that i always miss in the games. I know roughly how the ability and potential works on "newgens" .Often a value between 0-200 for both potential and (current)ability is generated, and that a youngster whit 190 potential don't always reach 190 in ability depending on a lot of things and all that. But as far as i know a guy whit lets say 135 in potential can never exceed that value only reach lower ability. And that sucks, i would love to get lucky and maybe draft a hall of fame guy in the 7th round (Brady).

So my suggestion is: is it possible to make a random event (script) to lets say 30 guys in every draft class that if these guys stay in a roster for maybe 1-3 years his potential could rise 5-20%. That way nobody knows which those players are neither humans or AI before it happens. It would make the draft and players more dynamic and a bit "fog of wary". 30 players out of a draft class of 400? is not much and it wouldn't affect the most of them too much. so every now and then a late round star emerges in the game. Its more realistic because this would make the pro bowl rosters to not only consist of 1th rounders like its in OOTP and FHM. I could be wrong whit that potential never can get higher but its a thought.

Sorry for the language i am a international NFL fan really looking forward for this game!
Krillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:22 PM   #15
james17
All Star Starter
 
james17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,229
Thanks: 760
Thanked 223x in 108 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtln View Post
That would be so cool. I would love that "fog of war" being present all over the game even with your own players, so setting the depth charth is not just comparing numbers but you would have to dig into 2D engine to see how they do, practice reports (Even 2D practices so you can see your guys compete for the position), trust your coaches and scouts or not, etc. I think this would add another dimension to the game and certainly would increase the playing time between games because NFL seasons are very short.

I am obviously talking about the long term, it is just that I got so excited by that "fog of war" term that I wanted to let you know haha.
'Long Term' is the word to use but I'd love it if those features eventually get added.
james17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:51 PM   #16
Michael Winter
Minors (Single A)
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Berlin
Posts: 87
Thanks: 11
Thanked 235x in 55 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krillo View Post
I have a suggestion on the draft and player potential for BTS. I have played a lot of manager games over the years and there is one thing that i always miss in the games. I know roughly how the ability and potential works on "newgens" .Often a value between 0-200 for both potential and (current)ability is generated, and that a youngster whit 190 potential don't always reach 190 in ability depending on a lot of things and all that. But as far as i know a guy whit lets say 135 in potential can never exceed that value only reach lower ability. And that sucks, i would love to get lucky and maybe draft a hall of fame guy in the 7th round (Brady).

So my suggestion is: is it possible to make a random event (script) to lets say 30 guys in every draft class that if these guys stay in a roster for maybe 1-3 years his potential could rise 5-20%. That way nobody knows which those players are neither humans or AI before it happens. It would make the draft and players more dynamic and a bit "fog of wary". 30 players out of a draft class of 400? is not much and it wouldn't affect the most of them too much. so every now and then a late round star emerges in the game. Its more realistic because this would make the pro bowl rosters to not only consist of 1th rounders like its in OOTP and FHM. I could be wrong whit that potential never can get higher but its a thought.

Sorry for the language i am a international NFL fan really looking forward for this game!


We haven't really thought much about player development yet. Obviously this is a very important issue, but also quite a difficult one. My basic thoughts are those:


A player's physical tools are pretty much fixed once he comes out of college. Players might be able to get somewhat more athletic by spending more time in the weight room, but apart from that there is not a whole lot that is going to change. So the combine results pretty much tell the story about a player's athleticism. Physical abilities can then only change for the worse due to age, injuries, or being overused (just think bell-cow running backs).


So what it really comes down to is a player's ability to learn his position (role) at the NFL level and his ability/willingness to improve/refine his technical abilities, e.g. QBs being able to correct their throwing motion. Work ethics and intelligence factor a lot into the equation here and in reality, it is a big challenge to get to know these thing prior to drafting a player.So what this boils down to is that there probably won't be any scripts as suggested. Instead, players with high potential are those who have enough physical ability to play their position and display good work ethics, a high level of intelligence and are willing to listen to their coaches. The challenge for human users and the AI will be to identify these players and then draft them according to their draft board.
Michael Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
3 thanks for this post:
Danbo80 (05-15-2016), HelgeBlendet (05-13-2016), wilkiburger14 (05-14-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 03:51 PM   #17
james17
All Star Starter
 
james17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,229
Thanks: 760
Thanked 223x in 108 posts
If you're playing as a G/M and coach, will we be able to hire personnel for assistants and scouting? Oh, and trainers?
james17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #18
Michael Winter
Minors (Single A)
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Berlin
Posts: 87
Thanks: 11
Thanked 235x in 55 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by james17 View Post
If you're playing as a G/M and coach, will we be able to hire personnel for assistants and scouting? Oh, and trainers?


Personnel will be in the game and they will affect player development and recovery from injuries. Scouting of course will be in the game too, but we currently still don't know how this is exactly going to work. There will be an option for the user to have access to all underlying attributes which would basically be cheating, but the plan is to make sure that the AI and the user must do some real scouting without simply knowing everything about a player.
Michael Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
Danbo80 (05-15-2016), wilkiburger14 (05-14-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 09:12 PM   #19
james17
All Star Starter
 
james17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,229
Thanks: 760
Thanked 223x in 108 posts
Sounds good, Michael. And, like OOTP baseball, being able to edit everything does help to even out the game when it's used sparingly. I do still like the 'fog of war' you're doing.
james17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 02:56 PM   #20
wilkiburger14
Minors (Double A)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 153
Thanks: 189
Thanked 30x in 19 posts
Thanks for the replies Michael, I'm from England and you can charge what you like for the game as far as Im concerned if, as already stated, its half as good as OOTP, keep up the excellent work.
wilkiburger14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:39 PM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2020 Out of the Park Developments