Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #21
sharknut
All Star Reserve

Cashed in 3 tournaments, wasn't paid out in one of them.......

sharknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:47 AM   #22
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

I play one tournament per day with each of my three teams. The best was losing in the fourth round of a Big Bronze 128. What caught my eye was that twice we lost the first three games then roared back to win four straight to advance.

So fun, but I need to find some time to check out the other forms of tournaments.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:23 PM   #23
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
Took down a 32 man Bo5/7 open. Lot of good teams in there but so far I'm benefiting from my OCD of only using players in the position listed on the card while other teams still have nonsense like wade boggs at second base.

I think tourneys only use defensive position card comes with
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:33 PM   #24
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Yes, that was my point. I have actual 3B and 2B on my team and not four shortstops.

I've looked at very few box scores, but of the ones I've seen a lot of people seem to have just ported their current team right into the tournament with some zero position ratings.

Last edited by dkgo; 11-14-2019 at 02:34 PM.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:43 PM   #25
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

So far, my best finishes are 3rd/4th in a tournament that gave out rewards for 1st and 2nd place only, and 2nd in a tournament that gave out a reward for 1st place only.

JasonC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:29 PM   #26
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

So far, it appears to me that one gets roughly the same results in tournaments that you get in PT. I've spent the last few days entering as many 8 team tournaments I could in the hopes that the shorter number of games and opponents would give me a better chance - but alas - no such luck. Each time I come across the same juggernauts that clean house in PT, they do the same to me here... the only possible variation is that I get into a group that doesn't have the whales - much the same hope that I have every week in PT.

Yes, tournaments are fun - in a different way - but I don't think our hope to supplement our income based on tournaments has much of a future.

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:21 PM   #27
Threnodas
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
Yes, that was my point. I have actual 3B and 2B on my team and not four shortstops.

I've looked at very few box scores, but of the ones I've seen a lot of people seem to have just ported their current team right into the tournament with some zero position ratings.
I think this post raises a compelling reason to harmonize defensive position training (or lack thereof) between PT season play and tournaments. We've spent months on our PT teams. Why can't we enter them into tournaments? Any PT team with a player trained up at a different position is not a viable tournament team. That is why I think we need either: (1) position training to carry over from PT into tournaments; or (2) a different system that prohibits position training in PT but sets a player's position experience based on their career games played, not just the single season on a card, so more cards are eligible at more than one position (skill ratings can vary year-by-year). See my other post about this point here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...&postcount=110

Threnodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:50 PM   #28
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threnodas View Post
I think this post raises a compelling reason to harmonize defensive position training (or lack thereof) between PT season play and tournaments. We've spent months on our PT teams. Why can't we enter them into tournaments? Any PT team with a player trained up at a different position is not a viable tournament team. That is why I think we need either: (1) position training to carry over from PT into tournaments; or (2) a different system that prohibits position training in PT but sets a player's position experience based on their career games played, not just the single season on a card, so more cards are eligible at more than one position (skill ratings can vary year-by-year). See my other post about this point here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...&postcount=110

My main reason is it's boring and reduces choices. I'm with Orcin, I'd remove it completely from PT next year if it were me.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #29
Morgans Magic
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBaker View Post
So far, it appears to me that one gets roughly the same results in tournaments that you get in PT. I've spent the last few days entering as many 8 team tournaments I could in the hopes that the shorter number of games and opponents would give me a better chance - but alas - no such luck. Each time I come across the same juggernauts that clean house in PT, they do the same to me here... the only possible variation is that I get into a group that doesn't have the whales - much the same hope that I have every week in PT.

Yes, tournaments are fun - in a different way - but I don't think our hope to supplement our income based on tournaments has much of a future.

this has unfortunately been my experience as well. I suspect that the High Rollers don't want to wait for the Open Leagues to fill up and so they join the Vox Populi and dominate, and can roll up wins more frequently. IMO only the lowest levels should be running frequently (with very low rewards to discourage entry).

Perhaps if you have a team in Perfect you can't enter certain tourneys. IDK. Something needs to be done to encourage the Big Boys to pick on people their own size instead of continuing to cracking the skulls of the more easily abused. But it's obvious the the frequency has attracted well-populated players and it's hammering those of us that are good, but not in the top tier.

What about tournaments SOLELY for Free-TO-Play players?
Morgans Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:45 AM   #30
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

There is extremely little difference among the "best" bronze players if there even is a consensus as to who the best is. A couple thousand points will make any bronze team you want starting from scratch. The tournaments are fun but you can't expect to be more than a 60% favorite in any round so overall wins are going to be rare when everyone has near even teams.

Perhaps your player selection and strategy could be improved.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #31
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBaker View Post

I tried a lot of the 8 team tourneys as well on Tuesday (had most of the day to sit around and mess with it)... typically ran into at least one juggernaut team in the open tourneys (with the expected result )....

so started looking at the gold/silver/bronze restricted setups... and while you still might find some of those same teams in the mix (and they might have a more extensive roster to choose from), it still evens out the field better...

finally got off the schneid last night with a tourney win in the super big gold setup (2 gold packs as a reward).... made the semis in a daily live-only gold as well (with only a handful of live golds on my squad ) so at least got a free pack out of that deal....

so maybe shoot for some of those style tourneys.... some might take longer to fill up if they are 64 or 128 team setups (which I don't mind as I sign up in the morning and let them fill while I'm at work)... so just be patient and keep at it... luck will hopefully smile on us all at some point
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:30 PM   #32
Renfro
Minors (Double A)

I'd agree that the card restricted tourneys offer a way to enjoy more even competition. For my flagship team, I particularly like the Gold Historical Bo7 tourneys even though my highest finish was in the semi-finals.

In my packs only team, I've had fun exploring live cards in Liver Silver and Live Bronze tourneys. I've never won but I've finished in the money 4 out of 14 times, netting a grand total of 1000 PP and 2 regular packs which yielded ... 60 All-Star Rick Honeycutt.

Renfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:05 PM   #33
Elligator
Minors (Single A)

I’ve migrated to bronze and silver only tourneys, but as a relatively new player, I’m still at a disadvantage there. I think I may try live only with my packs team. My pitching seems to hold its own no problem in the bronze and silver leagues but it seems everyone is using a variation of the same team, Rod Carew and friends. I’ve never seen so many bronze cards with 80+ contact. And it seems to work pretty well for those teams.

Even without those guys, I’m doing better than I did in the open leagues, but still running into contact machines, where I am clearly still missing a ton of historical bronze and silvers. And not sniffing the money. I wanted to go ahead and grab myself the obligatory Carew, and my Lord! 11000 for a bronze? No thanks. I’m going to find a way to combat these hit machine teams.

F2P Power Hitting

F2P Astros Only

Last edited by Elligator; 11-15-2019 at 05:08 PM.
Elligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #34
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

I'm pretty good in wiping out in two disting rounds:
First round, someone wipes thr floor with me, but hey at least it's over quickly.

Semi-finals: Usually 4th team when/where three teams finish "in the money." (congrats, you wasted most of a day on this).
Old 11-16-2019, 11:13 AM   #35
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I have earned 14K in tournaments so far this week, counting the points from selling cards in the packs that I won.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:05 PM   #36
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Between three teams I have only won 1,125 PP and a gold pack, but at least that gold pack had a duplicate Miguel Sano nobody bothered buying and that I auto-sold for a new pack that had a perfect 2019 All Star George Springer, so I could probably do a bit worse than this...

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #37
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemandria View Post
Semi-finals: Usually 4th team when/where three teams finish "in the money." (congrats, you wasted most of a day on this).
I haven't seen this. All of the tournaments I have entered either show no prize for third, or the same prize for third and fourth.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:45 PM   #38
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I haven't seen this. All of the tournaments I have entered either show no prize for third, or the same prize for third and fourth.
yeah, I've been booted just before the semi finals to miss out on those 3rd/4th place prizes; but haven't seen any tourneys with awards in the semis that didn't give them to both 3rd and 4th place
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:27 PM   #39
Maxfire5
Minors (Double A)

I've really enjoyed the gold tournaments thus far. I think I've won 3 diamond packs, and a number of 2nd, and then 3rd/4th placed finishes.

The eras are making things more interesting, since some eras favor HRs more, and others favor contact/gap more, etc. Also interesting to see the roster construction with some forgoing defense almost entirely (Harry Heilmann in RF?) and others going defensive heavy.

Starting on some silver tournaments and have had mixed results.

Waiting for other additions to the gold/open rewards before I give those more of a go.

F2P Pack Only Team

F2P Missouri Theme Team
Maxfire5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:21 PM   #40
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

I love Excel, so I made this.
Attached Images

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote